Grad Mums #39

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
145 replies to this topic

#1 Nut

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:08 PM

Afternoon all!!!

Have been out doctor chasing all morning. Am buggered. Had a GP appointment about my foot, he sent me off for an x-ray (nothing broken) and I also have to have an ultrasound on Monday to check for embedded glass and tendon or ligament damage. Nearly 3 weeks later and there is still swelling, recurrent bruising when I move it in a certain (and hard to avoid) way and a hard lump in there and the soft tissue pain extends right up my foot.

So I figured it was time to get it checked.

$62 GP appointment, $120 x-ray and upcoming $190 scan later and my credit card is not too happy with me. PHI does nothing. But it was my choice. I could have gone to the medical centre in phillip and get it all for nothing but I don't have 6 hours to spend waiting for appointments. Today was already bad enough.

So yes... That's been my day so far (since 9:15 this morning and I only just sat down).

El is teething. Nothing can be seen or felt but she is drooling, gummy and irritable and producing teething poo so it's a logical deduction I feel.

Grace - Great to see you back!! Would love to catch up for that coffee now you're settled. Give me a call/text/PM when you're free. Tuesday mornings I have Kidstart but generally little else on due to sleepy baby.

I can't for the life of me remember anything else from the other thread so I will just say Hi everyone else and make a fresh start. My best friend has been here for a few days (visiting from Perth after having not seen her for more than four years) so I have not been online much and probably missed a bit.

#2 Cantabile

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:37 PM

Gold/silver? Woo hoo anyway lol!

Nic - sorry to hear your foot's still in pain! I hope having your friend here took your mind off it a bit original.gif  I'll pm you soon and we'll arrange something.

BBL

#3 ~Sorceress~

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:39 PM

Silver/bronze?

Sorry about your foot, Nic! Ouch for the foot AND the bills. Radiology is SUCH an expensive option in Canberra sad.gif .

#4 samagard

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:20 PM

Nic
What is teething poo?

#5 Nut

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:41 PM

LoL, just my way of saying she has some slightly sloppy acidic poo which often happens when they are teething.

#6 samagard

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:42 PM

Ah ok.
Explains the recent activity in this house original.gif

#7 *Moi*

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:21 PM

Hey girls

Thought it was about time to make a start in here!

How are you all? How is your LO Kirsten?

#8 Marvel

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:11 PM

Hi Moi!!  waves.gif

Nic - Ouch!! I was wondering how your foot was going.

Grace - All that talk of Catholic schools had me hunting online again at school fees  ninja.gif going to be an expensive option for 3 kids if I choose to go that way!! laughing2.gif We are considering private primary and public high at the moment.

Hi everyone else  waves.gif

AFM - We are heading down to Temora EARLY tomorrow morning to go look at the Airfield's open day. AJ is NUTS about aeroplanes at the moment, so we thought it might be a fun, if not very big and long, day out. It also gives me a good opportunity to take my new DSLR and give it a workout  tthumbs.gif

#9 shelly1

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:35 PM

Grace - All that talk of Catholic schools had me hunting online again at school fees ninja.gif going to be an expensive option for 3 kids if I choose to go that way!! laughing2.gif We are considering private primary and public high at the moment.

Mishy
- most of the people I know are doing it the other way around - Public primary and catholic/private high school.

Most Catholic schools have reduced fees for siblings for example our school has a sliding scale between 1 - 3 and you get your 4th child free LOL - well I guess it is the catholic way  biggrin.gif

#10 Nut

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:48 PM

We're looking at Trinity for Alex. MIL of course asks me every time we see her if I have got his enrollment application in. Just in case 3 years isn't enough time.

#11 Cantabile

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:27 PM

Lauren!! I was just thinking of you today original.gif How have you been? Can we please have more Harley pics?

Nic - forgot to say earlier those eyes are just haunting! Gorgeous though original.gif

Mish - enjoy! What camera do you have?

My baby's 6 months old next Fri - sad.gif where did the time go? She's having her needles and checkup that day too, not looking forward to it at all.

#12 ~Sorceress~

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:49 PM

Nic, get the enrolment forms in because three years *isn't* enough time for a lot of schools!

Hi Lauren! Enjoying your little one? original.gif Lachie is just gorgeous but a little hard to predict - slept for hours today sad.gif , and is now up with a sore tummy sad.gif .

Shelly, I'm sometimes sad we're not Catholic laughing2.gif . When we first started at Burgmann the fees were equivalent to Catholic schools *and* they had substantial sibling discounts - now the fees have increased and the discounts have decreased sad.gif .

#13 Nut

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:09 AM

Kristen - Yeah I know it is best to do it early, but bugging me every weekend during the school holidays is not going to achieve much. Trinity is usually pretty good with the waiting list side of things though, but I will get it in ASAP. My nephew is there already with helps.

Grace - I am at Kidstart on Tuesday anyway (for the morning at least) but mostly the rest of the week is fine.

And thanks. They are Alex's eyes. I just love them.

Nellie - Did you say you had a peke mo? I am interested in trying it out.

#14 ~Sorceress~

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:42 AM

I've just got my "good" newborn photos and need to organise my thank-you cards, but can't remember where I had them done last time  huh.gif - can anybody recommend somebody? I think I used snapfish last time but I think I had a voucher so they were very good value...

Had a GREAT night last night - after a miserable colicky period, Lachy only woke me twice in the night! Oh the bliss - except that he's now asleep when I want to go out!  rolleyes.gif

#15 Nut

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:20 PM

OK. I am considering doing party plan as a way of getting some extra cash... Thought I might look into something child related and I came across this:

http://www.brightbugs.com.au/

Do you think you'd be interested in something like that if it were available? It's a bit like Total Learning I guess but it has more (toys puzzles bedding, school bags and stuff).

If I do it I want to choose something I know people would be keen on checking out but also is not over done in Canberra already.

Another one I am looking at has pregnancy and baby related stuff.

Also there is parents workshop which covers a lot of things from reward chart based products to personal care...

Pets??

#16 wrappedup

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:57 PM

Looks like nice products Nic.  Bit expensive perhaps?  Or that might just be what is on the homepage.

Am feeling chuffed - I was brave enough to give Sylvie some toast (no crust) and she ate it all without a single gag.  And then two steamed brocolli florets too original.gif

BBL, hope all are well x

#17 It'sbeenawhile

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:26 PM

Nic, nice to bump into you today. I had a look at the link, and while the products are lovely and i really like the wooden baby toys, i thought that most things were way overpriced. Maybe thats just me? Oh and i was going to say that with regards to phillip for xrays, you actually book there, so you dont have to wait. I went there for my breast ultrasound and was going to go back for a needle biopsy but dont think i will need to now. However they dont bulkbill every procedure. They bulkbilled that for me but i need to have a teeth xray (wisdom teeth troubles) and they dont bulkbill for that. I dont know the number i usually just call phillip and ask to be transferred up.

Hi everyone else, i forgot just how busy i am when school goes back. Blake went back on thursday and i have just been gogogo, and we are having down lights put in all the bedrooms at the moment and about to paint Maxs room, so there is stuff everywhere!
Hope everyone else is all good!

#18 shelly1

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:35 PM

Nic - I hope your foot is better soon.I would still turn up for a toys party plan but I usually find them quite expensive.

Shelly, I'm sometimes sad we're not Catholic laughing2.gif . When we first started at Burgmann the fees were equivalent to Catholic schools *and* they had substantial sibling discounts - now the fees have increased and the discounts have decreased sad.gif

Burgmann comes highly recomended but I guess it is that popular that they can increase the fees (and decrease the discounts) and people will still pay. I am not Catholic (Anglican actually  biggrin.gif) but went to Catholic school. TBH I would have prefered for Maddy to go to Majura Primary and would have sent her there but for the first time ever DH was really adament about something LOL.  I am happy with Rosary though and really think Maddy will do well there - DH knows the principal from his school days. Maddy is happy to be going there and after our Bluegum experience I think that I should do what makes her happy instead of what I would have loved when I was at school (I made lots of "mummy" friends with the preschool mums whose kids are all going to Majura but in saying that I am told it is also a fantastic school and is much more closer to our house).

Sam - Well done Sylvie. Hopefully this is the start of lots of  finger foods  biggrin.gif

#19 darnie

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:46 AM

Sam: Well done to you and Sylvie! I was thinking about you the other day when I went to give Alice something that I was unsure of (because I have a huge choking phobia) and I thought to myself that I should ask you if you gave it to Sylvie, because if you gave it to Sylvie, I could probably give it to Alice (given than Sylvie is younger and all laughing2.gif )

#20 wrappedup

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:46 AM

LOL Deanne, yep you'd no doubt be safe if I'd given it to her  biggrin.gif Sylvie did pop out her top two teeth last week so I wonder if that's helping.  The paed last week said to dh that she understood why we were struggling as Sylvie was playing with dh's keys and wasn't gagging as a baby normally would or some such.  She also said we have to let her play with her food/feed herself a lot more.  And we have to keep a food diary for the next few weeks so I'm trying to add more things in.  I cannot wait til 6-12 months from now when she's eating like a normal person!

Have a great Sunday everyone x

#21 ~strawberry~

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:39 AM

Nic - I would probably find those prices too exxy for me too, though the products do look like good quality.

Feeding - We let Billy feed himself for everything now. He is getting quite good with a spoon, and started using a fork too this week with success.

Schooling - We are going public, neither DH or myself are religious, so our only options for private schooling is horribly expensive. At the end of the day, I would prefer to be a SAHM with kids in public, than working with them in private, though that is such an individual choice, and I understand heaps of people would not make the same decision that I would make.

#22 Nut

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:18 PM

http://www.parentstoolbox.com.au/ This was one of the other companies I was looking at which I thought could be alright.

#23 wrappedup

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:26 PM

Nic I think that given the demographic of Canberra parents (generally: older, good incomes, busy lifestyles etc), that that one could do quite well.  

We let Sylvie have some raisin toast while we were out today and she shoved the whole thing in her mouth, freaking dh and I out a little.  It did have a little butter on it too, so we'll wait to see if there is a reaction.  She has to get blood tests to check for allergies this week, so hopefully between them and the food diary we'll know how we're travelling soon original.gif

Okay I cannot put off contacting any longer.  See you in about 4 hours!

#24 Marvel

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:09 PM

Looks good nic, just had a look at their website. I'd definitely buy stuff from that! original.gif

grace- I got a Nikon D5000

#25 *Moi*

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:37 PM

cantibile - I'm pretty good... Harley is at that 'refusing to be anywhere else but my arms' stage.. I can't believe your LO is 6 months! That went extremely fast, even for me! Yes I need to upload to more pics of Harley for you - I'm onto it!

Kristen - so your eldest is in the middle school at Burgmann? You may know my husband then wink.gif

Schooling - We'll be sending the kiddies to St Anthonys and then probably St Clares/Marist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.