Grad Mums #39

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
145 replies to this topic

#51 darnie

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:32 AM

Doing naughty things is one thing, but being naughty is different.
I agree. It annoys me when people refer to children as naughty, rather than referring to their behaviour as naughty. And it's really up to the parents of the child to determine what behaviour is naughty and what isn't.mad.gif

Just dropped Erin off for her last day at childcare and there were tears. Lots of tears. Understandable, given that she will be seeing some of the people who she has been through childcare forever with for the last time ever. Well, I thought it was understandable. She just raced off to tell everyone about the cupcakes I'd cooked, and was perfectly fine. I, on the otherhand was left blubbering on carers who really are young enough to be my offspring. Very embarrassing. Probably a good decision for DH to pick the girls up tonight.

Whoever asked for the cupcake recipe, I'll post it here. It is actually a cake recipe but I turned it into cupcakes. I posted it here ages ago but I think there could possibly have been a typo in it, so I will post again when I get home.

Actually, here it is (thank you Mr Google):

Absurdly Easy Chocolate Cake
Ingredients
3 cups flour (680 grams)
2 cups sugar (450 grams)
6 tablespoons cocoa (100 grams)
2 teaspoons baking soda (10 cc's = 10 ml)
1 teaspoon salt (5 cc's = 5 ml)
3/4 cup vegetable oil (200 cc's)
2 tablespoon vinegar (30 cc's)
2 teaspoon vanilla (10 cc's)
2 cup cold water (480 cc's)

Directions
Mix the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients. Stir until smooth. Bake two greased, floured pans at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Makes two layers of a two-layer 9-inch or 8-inch round cake, or one small sheet cake. When cool, frost it.
Eat.

To make it gluten free, I used gluten free flour. I actually misread the recipe and used gluten free SR flour. I still used the bicarb soda. It worked out nicely so I think I'd use gluten free SR flour next time. I just poured the mix into cupcakes and cooked for 20 mins. Also, if you are cooking it as a cake, it takes forever to cook. Much longer than the recipe says. So just keep setting the timer until it is cooked.

For the icing, I used nuttelex margarine (it is nut free, dairy free, everything free), rice milk and pure icing sugar. Not Soft icing Mix, because that can contain wheat, so make sure it says pure icing sugar on the packet. Oh and the recipe is American. I used standard metric cups and cooked it at about 180 degrees celsius. Texture and taste aren't quite as good with the gluten free flour, but it was not too bad. My girls liked them. I didn't put sprinkles on the cakes because I am always terrified that there might be egg or egg-white in them and the childcare centre is egg-free and nut-free.

Oh and the recipe was cut and pasted directly from the internet, so the appaling misuse of apostrophes is not mine grin.gif

Edited by darnie, 02 February 2010 - 08:39 AM.

#52 Marvel

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:09 AM

Thanks Deanne original.gif

#53 ~strawberry~

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:16 PM

Nic - Why didn't you say Hi!! We'd had a lovely morning walking around civic, and I finally got around to taking Ella on the merry-go-round. She loved it!

#54 Cantabile

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for the recipe Deanne - I think that's a cake even the ppl at work can eat given the diff dietary requirements everyone has there.

How was everyone's day? We had a quiet one at home because a certain miss decided to have a 3 hour nap when we should've gone to mothers group! I tried to keep her up a bit so she can sleep on the way. Oh well. original.gif She needs sleep - I think her gum's bothering her and Bonjela's not doing a thing.

#55 ~strawberry~

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:15 PM

Billy starts CC tomorrow... I don't know that I'm ready for him to go, but if we wait then there's no guarantee we can coincide the day with Ella's days.

Deanne - Good luck for tomorrow, I hope you and Erin both cope well! Is she excited?

#56 darnie

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:49 PM

Deanne - Good luck for tomorrow, I hope you and Erin both cope well! Is she excited?
Thank you wub.gif Erin is very much looking forward to it. For a start, she has to tell her friend, E, that we are going to Hong Kong. (E has just spent most of the holidays in Hong Kong with her extended family who live there, so it is just the best that we are going too, apparently rolleyes.gif). Then she has her teacher, Mrs B, who she seemed to love at orientation; and her childcare friends who have moved to the school; and all of her wonderful friends that she has met through two years of preschool at the same school. Oh, but most importantly, she gets to where a "uniform dress", which is very important when one has been made where bottle green shorts/tracksuit bottoms for two years of preschool roll2.gif I, on the other hand, am just a blubbering mess. I can't believe my baby is growing up. I can't even bring myself to look at her baby photos, yet every time I look at her, I see that little baby I brought home from hospital 5.5 years ago cry1.gif

Oh, conversation between Erin and myself on the way to childcare this morning:

Me: "Oh, Erin. You start school tomorrow. I just cannot believe that you are a school girl. I can't believe it."

Erin (in that same logical, matter of fact tone that her father uses): "Well, I have to grow up!"

Me: Very quiet because it just felt weird for me to be worrying about something and Erin to be consoling me

Billy starts CC tomorrow... I don't know that I'm ready for him to go, but if we wait then there's no guarantee we can coincide the day with Ella's days.
Good luck! I'll be thinking of you! hhugs.gif Let us know how it goes!

#57 shelly1

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:18 PM

Good Luck for tomorrow Deanne and Jo  biggrin.gif .

Maddy started school today - she loved it. I am very proud.

I am still very bothered by Jades daycare situation but will talk to the girls on Thursday, if I get no satisfaction there I will talk with the Director.

#58 nellieb

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:33 AM

Good luck with school and daycare first days today - I hope it is not traumatic for Mummies or babies (well, Mummy's grown up baby in Erin's case  grin.gif )

#59 darnie

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:58 AM

A belated good luck to Leonie, too! I hope everyone is coping ok.

I didn't even cry original.gif

#60 beaglebabe

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:06 AM

Morning girls,

What a busy week with little people starting school and childcare - hope everyone is settling in well, and that the mummies are coping.

Shelly - I'm glad that Maddy had such a good first day at school.  A somewhat belated response on the childcare issues - it does sound strange about 'quiet time' in the babies room.  I took Lucia in for her first few visits at around that time, and while it was quieter than normal, I thought it was just that most of the kids were alseep, not that they were actively trying to get the awake babies to have a rest. There were only a few babies up, and they were playing as normal with one carer, while the other cleaned up after lunch, and did nappy changes before putting a few more down for their nap (they try to stagger putting them down so they don't disturb each other).  They did have the awake babies confined in a small area (with toys, foam mats to climb on etc) while they washed the floors to get rid of lunch mess (I reckon 10 babies make a fair bit of mess when eating!), but that was more for safety reasons, not to get the kids to rest.  

I wouldn't be happy about a mandatory rest time either.  Lucia is still on two sleeps a day, and I expect her to be able to play freely when she is awake.  They tell me she is often quite grizzly over lunch time - perhaps this is why if they are trying to get her to rest???

I've found them to be very approachable too, so do have a chat to the girls in the room and see if they can set your mind at rest.  You need to be comfortable that Jade is in good hands.

Nic - don't get me started on MILs at the moment.  Mine does things like that too, and it really annoys me.  Most of what she says to Toby is negative - telling him not to do things etc.  He's really starting to pick up on it, and he is not comfortable around her.  I don't know what the answer is to dealing with it though.  How's the nappy making going?

Sam - yay on the walking!

The kids and I went on a little road trip on the weekend (and DH went fishing with his mates, and had some quiet time at home, to recover from a stressful week at work).  We visited an EB friend in Bowral, then went to Wollongong/Kiama to see my friends from pre-natal yoga and Mum's group.  It was lovely to catch up with everyone and see how the kids have grown.  Toby and Lucia were pretty good, but I still found it tiring travelling with two on my own, and trying to ensure they behaved while staying at someone else's house.

I'm at work, and really should be doing some work, but am soooo easily distracted.  Sorry for the lack of personals, I've been trying to get on to do a proper post but haven't had the chance.  Markets coming up this weekend, so have been madly sewing, and attempting to get my house somewhat tidy again in between sewing.

M

#61 It'sbeenawhile

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:41 AM

Wow Deanne! I didnt cry at the school, it was to busy and quick and he was so eager! He was the first one up the steps to find his bag hook and no problems at all once he got into the room. As we were walking to the car i was thinking WOW thats it. Oncew i started the car i got a little bit emotional (and there was sad music playing!) but by the time i got down the street i was okay! But when i was doing my groceries just then everynow and then i would get really sad, and now Max is asleep its sooooooo quiet! I am really going to miss Jack! Dont get me wrong i still missed Blake heaps when he started, but the way i see it was i had 8 extra months with Blake before he started school!

Any way i think there were a few in here that started school this week so we must share a picture! Im just going to upload mine soon!

Hi everyone!

#62 ~strawberry~

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:06 PM

So how did everyone's first day go?

#63 darnie

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:50 PM

Hi All,

I hope everyone had a great first day!

Erin loved kindergarten! She was so excited that bed took forever to happen tonight, and she keeps saying "Oh Mummy, I am just so 'cited about school!" laughing2.gif

I have photos. Sorry there are so many! blush.gif

Off we go!
Drawing a Picture
With Daddy

Better go. Doing ten things at once and it isn't working!

Can't wait to see everyone's first day photos!

Edited to delete a couple of photos because I realised after I posted that I hadn't cropped other kids out of them.

Edited by darnie, 03 February 2010 - 08:52 PM.

#64 sot

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:13 PM

Hi everyone, we are back.  We had the best time ever, and decided to stay an extra night.  James loved the beach, hermit crabs, flying kites, climbing in holes, he was so cute.

I had a quick read of a few pages but have missed lots, so only a few personals today.

Leonie - Sounds like you had a lovely time without the kids, and I hope you spoilt yourself.

Caro - Re the planned comment, imagine what people say when you have a 17 yr old at the time.  sometimes I just laughed as I didn't think they deserved the truth, other people were floored when I told them he was IVF, especially as only family and close friends knew we were trying.  wait until you have number 5, imagine the comments then!

Deanne - gorgeous photos of Erin,

Hope all the first days were ok for the littlies (and the parents!)

Thanks to everyone for my birthday wishes, I had a lovely day and got a pedicure (got my toenails painted red to match my glasses!)

Peta.

#65 ~Sorceress~

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:07 AM

Welcome back, Peta biggrin.gif . Sounds like a lovely birthday and break! biggrin.gif

Deanne, glad Erin had a good day. Jess was a bit un-enthusiastic about hers. We had another tough drop-off this morning sad.gif - but just as I was talking to her teacher (who's just lovely biggrin.gif ) we noticed that she's left the activities and was standing happily chatting across the wall to her friends in the next room. She was SO happy to be allowed to go into the next classroom for a visit sad.gif - I got back to the car and cried sad.gif .

Glad everybody else is having a good back to school time. My big kids are all very happy original.gif . Jack's day sounds great, Leonie original.gif .

Sam, looking forward to catchign up and seeing Sylvie walking in person ... though I can't quite wrap my head around her being that grown up! wub.gif

#66 darnie

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:54 PM

Meant to be packing, so this will be quick.

Peta: Welcome back!

Kristen: hhugs.gif I hope things get better for Jessie (and for you). I am sure it will work out. She is such a beautiful, friendly little girl :wubs: She'll make great friends! Erin isn't going to school tomorrow. We're having some quality time at Mama Mia (Erin's Christmas present) tomorrow night in Sydney, amongst other things.

Have a great weekend everyone!

#67 Nut

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:08 AM

http://www.parentstoolbox.com.au/data/Prod...tion_1_WMSD.pdf OK this is the parents toolbox catalogue... Think it's too expensive or would you buy?

#68 ~Sorceress~

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:28 AM

Thanks, Deanne. Drop-off was smoother this morning original.gif . I hope you're having a great time in Sydney now! biggrin.gif What a fantastic memory for you both!

Nic, I thought the prices on the first page were a bit steep, but was glad I kept looking through because there's some nice stuff that looks reasonably priced for party plan to me original.gif . Those bed nets are just gorgeous! And the stainless steel bottles are a good price original.gif.

#69 Puggle

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:16 PM

Hi all waves.gif

We got back last night from a week in and around Sydney and I'm back into the swing of things already with a parent teacher interview at Preschool this morning and then Lauren's swimming lesson. Leonie, it was lovely to see you at the pool and I wish I could have stopped to chat.

Lauren's appointment with the Neurogeneticist was good; as I suspected they still can't confirm if she has NF1, but if she does she is tracking extremely well. We were very lucky to be able to get an appointment with a really great Paediatric Opthalmologist so will be heading back for that in a few weeks. Just as well as we still haven't heard anything from the Canberra Eye Hospital despite them being sent a referral in the first week of December and I've already chased it up once glare.gif. So the plan is for the Opthalmologist to also check DH's eyes and mine and that should determine if either one of us has passed the NF1 gene on to Lauren (the neurogeneticist thinks that is extremely unlikely). We have also agreed for Lauren to participate in an NF1 research program to see if there are early indicators of learning disabilities (people with NF1 do not have a lower IQ but approximately 50% will have a specific learning difficulty). So we are happy to participate in that in the hope it might help Lauren and other children with NF1.

Claire starts preschool next week and I am not sure who is more excited laughing2.gif. It will be nice to have something of a routine again. Oh, and Lauren took her first steps the day before she turned 15 months but is in no rush to repeat the performance laughing2.gif

That's it from me for now, sorry for not doing any personals just yet.

#70 *Caro*

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:41 PM

I'm at work, where I'm not meant to be posting, but just wanted to say to Anne that that is fantastic news about Lauren. I so hope it isn't NF1! hhugs.gif

#71 Marvel

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:37 PM

Just popping in quickly original.gif

Deanne - have fun in Sydney!

Anne - good to hear about Lauren!!

Nic - I think I said it before, but the catalogue looks good

AFM - Had my first midwife appointment today at the hospital, and they are happy to announce that I am very boring and should be veryh low risk original.gif
They did mention however not to stray too far from the hospital when my due date rolls around, AJ was born in 7 hours and Owen was born in 3 hours so this one should be pretty quick ohmy.gif

DH and I also set up the cot last night and got our layby out yesterday for the boys to have their new booster seats, so there is baby stuff strewn across the house and it is making it all that more real!!

Hope everyone has a fun weekend planned original.gif

#72 ~strawberry~

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:58 PM

Ooh, loving this rain today!

Anne - It sounds like the prognosis is as good as it can be at this stage, barring having NF1 ruled out. Do you have a long wait for the paed opth?I also think it's a great thing going into the research program.

Peta - Welcome back original.gif Glad you hav such a good holiday! We were hoping to get over to the coast next month for a few days, but it's now not looking quite so likely...

Shelly - How did Jade go this week? Did you get a positive response out of the carers? Ella's just moved up a room this week, and I am really hoping that the carers are better than the last room... So far they seem quite good though.

Michelle - Hows the sewing going? I have gotten so little done, Billy has been clingy, and I've been so lazy! My new meds seem to make me overly tired during the day, so I end up napping, then I don't sleep at night. Anyway, I have enough for the weekend already done, all orders filled (4 stores now) and mostly prepared for Mathildas. I am still loving my new machine. Pfaff's are brilliant!

Deanne - I hope you're having fun in Sydney! You need to go to Haighs for me  tongue.gif  

Mishy - I loved setting everything up ready for our babies. While I'm not clucky for another, I am sad that we no longer need a high chair, and that the cot will be gone within the next 12 months...

Hi to Sam, Caro, Leonie and everyone else I've missed.

My big news... We have been getting the house ready to put on the market. If all goes well, then we hope to be moving in the next few months. So jobs that have been needing to be done for 4 years (since we moved in!) are finally getting done. It's been keeping us very busy.

Billy went really well for his start of CC. He was upset just after I left, and again when they came inside from playing (maybe because Ella was out in the play area too) but only had a little cry and then got busy with playing. Next week we try for a full day. OMG, a full day all to myself! I won't know what to do!

TT Q... Is it unusual for kids to go 15 times a day? Sometimes Ella will go 4-5 times in about 15 minutes. By 10.30 this morning I think she had been at least 5 times and had an accident. I am so over TTing, but I can't get her to wear a nappy anymore. Help please!

#73 Cantabile

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:41 PM

Evening all original.gif

Anne - glad to hear the appt went well. Been thinking of you and Lauren!

Deanne - how gorgeous are Erin's pics! original.gif Have a lovely time in Syd.

Michelle - 1/2 way through! How are you feeling? Any bump pics hehe wink.gif

AFM - I can't believe I have a 6 month old, time sure flies when you're having fun. She had her checkup and immunisations today today too and did really well! Just a quick cry/wail for each jab, a couple of sniffles and she was all chirpy again. We also visited the b/c and said hello to the midwives; that's always good fun. Filly's now 63.5cm long and weighs 7.55kg. I'll put up pics later.

Have a good evening everyone. Loving this rain original.gif

ETA: good luck with house selling Jo! Have you guys got a new place picked out yet?

Edited by Cantabile, 05 February 2010 - 06:41 PM.

#74 shelly1

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:50 PM

Anne
- Thats good news. Hopefully you can get the other appointments soon. Good Luck for next week - I am sure Claire will love Pre-school.

Jo -In regards to the TT I would be worried if Maddy started going that regularly. She has been TTing for a  while and I thought she would be able to recognise when she needs to go so maybe she isnt getting that "finished" feeling? Could she have a UTI? Have daycare mentioned it? I will be interested to see the other replies.

Daycare -  I spoke with the carers and feel happy and reassured again  biggrin.gif . They assured me that they have a totally flexible routine and during quiet time there is an activity set up for the non-sleeping babies. Jade had her best day today. When I came  to pick her up she was happy and didnt run, crying to me. Also after pulling at my top when I picked her up she was more than happy to have her cup of milk instead. The girls commented on how happy she had been and she even had a big 2.5 hour nap so hopefully this continues.

Hi Everyone else waves.gif

I have had a busy week and havent eaten dinner tonight so need to get off the computer  Tounge1.gif

#75 wrappedup

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:41 AM

Shelly that's wonderful news original.gif

Anne, so impressed that you inspired another mum to try for a VBAC.  It may sound a little patronising when I don't mean it to be, but it makes me proud to know you original.gif  What a fantastic experience for that Mum x

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.