Breastfeeding in Public

• Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

Poll: Breastfeeding in public (1715 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you/did you breastfeed in public?

1. Yes and I felt comfortable doing so (1136 votes [67.02%])

Percentage of vote: 67.02%

2. Yes but I didn't feel comfortable (329 votes [19.41%])

Percentage of vote: 19.41%

3. No because I wasn't comfortable (161 votes [9.50%])

Percentage of vote: 9.50%

4. No for other reasons (69 votes [4.07%])

Percentage of vote: 4.07%

Do you feel comfortable about other women breastfeeding in public?

1. Yes (1610 votes [94.99%])

Percentage of vote: 94.99%

2. No (85 votes [5.01%])

Percentage of vote: 5.01%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Velociraptor

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:49 PM

Do you feel comfortable doing it (if you breastfed)? Do you feel comfortable seeing others breastfeed? Do you see it often? If you're out, do you specifically go somewhere to breastfeed or do you feel comfortable feeding where you are (with a shawl or without)?

#2 Nora.

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:52 PM

Not to begin with, I was terribly uncomfortable with it, but after many mad dashes back to the car I just got over it. I'm way too lazy. Even though I was fine with it all, if I was out in public, I would generally look out for a quiet table in a corner. I never found it a problem finding a discreet spot in a cafe somewhere, certainly NEVER fed in a toilet.

I love seeing women breastfeeding, it is lovely. Reminds me of the lovely times I had breastfeeding my two.

#3 Wut??

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:54 PM

Yes, I did.  My breasts were manageable though, once they settled down I was a C cup.  I fed my twins in public until about 14 months or so.  I never used a feeding room.  I stopped public feeding eventually because they got to the age where they both wanted a piece of the action at the same time.  I wouldn't twin feed in public.

I don't feel anything when I see others breastfeed.

#4 fancie

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:57 PM

When I was breastfeeding my DD I was comfortable wherever I was however I always tried to be discreet for my privacy as well as other people's sensitivities.  I fed DD till 23 months and fortunately (by luck or discretion on my part) never received any negativity from others.

#5 mummabubba

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:59 PM

I had no problems feeding in public and loved sitting in cafes reading the paper while I fed.  I never bothered with a cover or shawl - too much fussing around.  I just wore a breastfeeding top under a t-shirt or shirt and was very discreet.  Easy after a little practice.

I see loads of women breastfeeding in public and it's lovely.  Not sure about the big covers though that some women use - especially at Mothers Group!

#6 Guest_BBlessed_*

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:02 PM

I think I've always been comfortable with breastfeeding in public. When out and about in a public place, and a hungry baby who needs feeding, it's never occurred to me to do anything other than feed him or her! I remember sitting on the floor or standing up in the supermarket or department store or wherever, feeding even my first. I figured I would draw more attention with a screaming, thrashing baby than a quietly nursing one!

Others breastfeeding is always a reassuring and encouraging sight. More hungry babies being fed, not to mention all the other goodness that comes included in the "package"!

I don't actually notice much though, TBH. I like to see babes and toddlers in their Mum's arms, but whether they are cuddling or feeding I don't usually know at first glance, and I sure don't stare and crane my neck to determine which it is!

When out, I feed wherever we are when my little one needs a feed. Or at this stage (18 months!) WANTS a feed! No shawl or cover. I do wear a singlet under my shirt - so I can pull the singlet down and lift the shirt up and keep most of my skin covered.

And I love my sig - we were at the Adelaide Zoo, waiting for ages and ages in the heat to see the pandas. Ezra was tired and thirsty, so I picked him up and fed him to sleep. I didn't even think twice til the family members I was with commented and then took a photo. I forgot about it (it's so normal for us!) til that family member emailed me asking about the photo - whether it was OK to put up on Facebook or not. And it occurred to me then that while it's normal and an everyday occurrence for us, it is not necessarily for others!!

#7 Ianthe

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:05 PM

I have always breastfed in public with all my babies. When I had Joshua I was nervous at first but it was easier to sit down in a food court and eat while he fed. I have fed in all kinds of places.

I have never used a cover.

Edited by Ianthe, 10 February 2010 - 06:06 PM.

#8 catmeow82

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:06 PM

i breastfeed in  public with now cover!

i fed dd anywhere and everywhere. with ds it is different if i have dd with me to. i ususally go to the baby change room so dd can play while i feed. i don't hide behind curtains.

i love seeing others feed in public. it is natural. i hate seeing women go hide behind the curtain in the tiny cubicle.

today i fed in a cafe. dd was good and drank a milkshake!

#9 fairy dust

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:13 PM

Just wanted to say - Ezra, I always smile when I see your sig original.gif

#10 samanthan

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:15 PM

I have always fed in public except when DS1 was going through breast refusal. I love seeing Mum's feeding in public and always give them a smile original.gif I have fed in a sling, in a plane, in parliament laughing2.gif walking through the supermarket with DD in the trolley...pretty much everywhere I think.

My funniest public breastfeeding moment didn't even involve a child... late last year I was really engorged after work, too painful to drive the 40 minutes home so decided to hand express in the car. Realising I'd left my drink bottle at work and had no towel or anything to express into. A quick scan of the car and all I had was a beer bottle DH had brought home from a restaurant because he though it would be great for homebrew. So there I was sitting in the car in the middle of North Adelaide hand expressing (messily) into a stubby  blush.gif    I could barely get it going I was laughing so hard. I don't think anyone noticed. No I didn't feed it to my toddler Tounge1.gif

#11 atua

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:18 PM

never felt uncomfortable feeding in public - others around me may have had an issue but that is their issue not mine.

my breasts were an E-F when i first started feeding then settled to a DD-E, i fed #3 til 17mths and it never occured to me to not fed her in public.

i've never felt uncomfortable around others bfing either - even though my twins were formula fed i never felt put out so to speak if someone else was bfing - my guilt assoc with formula feeding was my own, no one else's.

i fed in playgroups/shopping centres (sitting in the food court whilst my toddlers ate or whilst walking around with her in a sling)/parks/clubs/wherever - i can understand some women feeling uncomfortable and that's fine - this is pretty much the only time when i don't suffer low self-esteem.

#12 bubblebear

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:19 PM

I'm actually not that comfortable feeding in public, if I have to I will but I tend to plan things around feed times. At the moment my DS2 is having major distraction issues - if a bird tweets outside he'll pull off to have a look, so it's just easier all around to be at home.

It's funny, I find I'm much more uncomfortable second time around, no idea why. I have no issue seeing anyone else do it, just my personal choice is to not.

#13 Just Mel

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:20 PM

I lasted about 3 weeks with DD1 and then got sick of going into feeding rooms etc. and from then on I never "hide" to feed again, not with a cover or going into a room.

I don't often see women feeding when I am out but I don't go out much anymore either, it is always so nice to see though original.gif

#14 Guest_KorrinaC_*

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:27 PM

I really like seeing mums breastfeed too, I think its nice.
I fell pretty comfortable myself. I try to cover up a little (F cup when the milk is in...) but I don't like the idea of having to hide away somewhere. Breastfeeding is natural and necessary, and the more mums do it in normal environments the less others will be bothered by it I think.

#15 happyvegemite

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:31 PM

Do you feel comfortable doing it (if you breastfed)? Do you feel comfortable seeing others breastfeed? Do you see it often? If you're out, do you specifically go somewhere to breastfeed or do you feel comfortable feeding where you are (with a shawl or without)?

I feed EVERYWHERE i need too! If my babies are hungry I feed them original.gif I have never used a cover or the like.. I just do it without being nervous or uncomfortable! I dont even give it a second thought.. I love seeing people feed in public and I dont think it happens enough TBH... I know of people that go to a private place to feed... but for me if you dont like it, dont look original.gif

ETA I have small (ok non existant boobs!) so perhaps this helps to be discreet?!

Edited by happyvegemite, 10 February 2010 - 06:32 PM.

#16 GrizzlyMadams

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:34 PM

I have huge boobs (H cup) and I had a huge baby and I did the football hold and I couldn't get it together to feed in public for months and months.  There's public and then there's public.  I could do a friend's house or the baby clinic but I wasn't getting them out at a café.  A muslin over me was just a joke, I couldn't see or do anything through it and the baby hated it. It was like an elephant fighting it's way out of a gauzy bag.  

I practically had to strip to the waist and have a nest of 4 billion pillows around me for ages.  

I couldn't care less if other people did it at the shops, on the monkey bars, wherever, I just couldn't do it myself.  It was a logistical nightmare and I seemed to expose 20 times more flesh then anyone else. How I envy people with smaller boobs and smaller babies.

#17 Diamond~Sky~Lucy

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:39 PM

I am extremely UNcomfortable breastfeeding in public.  I have done so on one occasion (a child's playcentre) when I had no other choice, but otherwise will feed on the toilet or in the car rather than in public.

I will feed in front of close friends.  I have fed in front of a colleague at work (but she was a midwife, so a nobrainer there!).  I will feed in front of friends who are blokes, but I think the general disclaimer probably is that they have children of their own, so they aren't seeing anything new!

I don't care where others breastfeed.  Before having children, I was probably a little uncomfortable seeing women breastfeed, but realised that that was my problem not theirs.

I did breastfeed at the pub once, in front of a couple of nuns who were with me wink.gif .  This was out of the necessity of needing to feed, and having nowhere else to go.  I did cover up with a muslin though.

Edited by Diamond~Sky~Lucy, 10 February 2010 - 06:40 PM.

#18 LibertyLady

I was never comfortable breastfeeding ingeneral let alone out in public.

I have hang ups over my breasts. I am large breasted, 18G and I hate the attention my breasts bring. My hang ups come from being sexually abused for years and being told continually by my abuser that my breasts were my best assests. I have hated them ever since.

When I tried to breast feed my first child, it triggered flash backs of the abuse and I just couldn't breast feed without feeling ill. I have currently been diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress.

While I still hate my breasts and have hacked at them and have begged my gp to give me a referral for a reduction on medicare, I do regret not working through my issues and breast feed my children.

ETA, I envy women breast feeding in public and wish I could have been just as comfortable with my breasts to do the same.

Edited by LibertyLady, 10 February 2010 - 06:40 PM.

#19 MnM

I feel happy enough with people around BFing but i never did it in public - my boobs are big and i have to hold them a certain way so they dont suffocate the baby so i have to fiddle with them a lot which means having them out on show.

#20 be-e

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:40 PM

I have no problem with breastfeeding in public, I think as a PP has said the more I do it in public the more people will think its normal and ok to BF in public. Im happy to be breastfeeding my son and wouldnt let it interupt our shopping trips.

These days however its a different story with DS, as he is very easily distracted so we might go somewhere quiet.

Bec

#21 Renoir

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:44 PM

I was entirely comfortable about breastfeeding in public.  I would drape a muslin wrap over myself and baby if I was in the company of friends (for their sake rather than mine) but out and about and with family, I didn't bother. It's really only the nipple that makes it so "confronting" to people and that goes in the baby's mouth.

#22 ~cake~

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:47 PM

I thought I would be way too scared to BF in public before i had DS. The first couple of times I fed him whilst out I hid away as best i could. Now if DD needs a feed, then so be it! Really doesn't bother me too much at all. I am a DD/E cup too so hardly small. I don't bother with a cover, just a flat nappy between my arm and her head.

Obviously I try to avoid having to feed whilst out, so will time outings to be after her meals. Otherwise I have fed in the car, at cafes, in a park. Recently DH ran a half marathon and we were hanging around for ages. There were no benches anywhere and hardly any shade, so I asked some random stall holders if I could use one of their chairs. They opened up one of their cars for me and turned the air con on so I could have privacy!

No one has ever said anything negative about me feeding in public. I would LOVE someone to though as my DH is the general manager of the regional daily newspaper so i would get him to publish something for me  ph34r.gif

#23 Elaine Benes

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:52 PM

I love breastfeeding in public. Before I had DS I really can't remember seeing many women feed. It made the whole business so mysterious.

It seems silly but feeding in public feels like a wonderful public service announcement to me.

Early on I was a bit nervous and tried to cover up. Now we have got the hang of it my nipple is only flashed for a second. Im lucky though - have little boobies.

I agree that seeing other women feeding in public is encouraging to others. It feels good to be feeding out and about and showing how normal it is.

#24 goldimouse

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:56 PM

I do it all the time. I don't need to cover myself with a wrap or anything, the  tops I wear make it easy to not have a whole entire breast on show. For the first five months I was using nipple shields and that was a little trickier but I still never had any qualms or comments from others shrug.gif

the other day I had a bit of an emergency, DD was squalling and I went into Gloria Jeans to see if there was a seat... There was a gentleman sitting by himself at a table (probably about 55) and I asked his permission to sit down and explained I needed to feed my baby. He said it was fine but I do think he was a little uncomfortable anyway. I made sure I did a great big over-the-top thank you when I left original.gif

#25 Guest_hugsal_*

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:56 PM

I am happy to breastfeed in public. I do prefer the feeding room at my local shopping centre, but only because they are nice and quiet, and I feel rejuvinated for more shopping!! I quite like feeding in a park, it feels really natural. The most public place I have fed is on a plane, front row whilst the plane was boarding original.gif

My mum tells the story of feeding me in a train carriage. She told her neighbours on the carriage that they had a choice of a crying baby, or feeding me and she was going to feed me.

Me: 32
DH: 34
DD: 13/06/2009 Emma

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.