September 05 Parents # 391

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
73 replies to this topic

#26 butterflies

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:34 AM

Kay - Just try and give Leo a main meal at lunchtime to get enough good stuff into him when you can - then it doesn't matter what he has at dinner.

was going to say the same thing because as you said he eats the hot meal at care

I can't say I have ever known a cold to randomly spike a high fever after a week just as the child is getting better,

he could also have picked up another virus too

Belle OMG I hope Kai is OK let us know how you go at the docs

Lynny I hope what Em has is nothing nasty

Zahli has croup and will not be going to preschool today, looks like a home day for both of us.

Paris had her zone swimming yeaterday, she came 10th which put her in the reserves (only 8 get through and two reserves) I so hope we don't have to go for the just in case she has to race tonight.

Alannah has had urticaria (rash) for 4 weeks now, had blood test (she screamed the place down) came back normal we now have been reffered to a allergist, she had a skin prick test two years ago which came back with nothing

bloody kids

have a good day

#27 Titania

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:17 AM

Belle - sorry... Poor Kai!! How is he this morning??

#28 ~~Lynny~~

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:45 AM

Feel like I've been hit by a truck this morning wacko.gif  sore muscles, the arm I got the shot in is so tender, lungs feel heavy, slightly phlegmmy throat and my head is killing me..  And I am sooo tired.. But no fever so thats good..  So much for the nurse telling me that the flu vax had no side effects  glare.gif

Em's rash looks better this morning.  I hope it keeps getting better and that it hasnt just temporarily faded again.  Yesterday it seemed to disappear and then flare up again a few minutes later - I might book her and Damian in to see the doctor on friday or saturday (need docs cert. before they can go back to CC).  Not sure what to do about Damian's swimming classes on friday - I guess if we dont see the doctor friday then he'll have to sit this one out until he's been for a check up. shrug.gif

bloody kids

roll2.gif amen sister!  laugh.gif Hope it all gets sorted out soon - is the rash bothering her at all?  Well done with Paris and her swimming, hope for your sake she doesnt have to sit on the side tonight wink.gif

T - thanks.  I think I'll be okay.  Just very glad that I'm not in the first trimester anymore, thats when most of the damage gets done.  After 20 weeks the chances of things going wrong are very slim (but still there).  Good point with the vitamins etc - I'm taking blackmores pregnancy gold multi vitamins atm but it wont hurt to take a garlic and vit C one as well.  I also just finished a course of Amoxil AB's for chronic sinusitis so hopefully that'll stay in my system for a bit and work in my favor.

I won't relay some sad news I heard today, because it's not appropriate under the circumstances.

sad.gif sad.gif  

Belle - poor Kai - I hope he's okay and that nothing's broken! sad.gif

Rosie is also not liking her night splints which is a pain.

poor thing  sad.gif  Stupid question - it's not at all possible to put the splint on after she's fallen asleep?

Sharon - sorry to hear that you've got a sick bub as well - poor little man.  Hope the glasses work out and that his eyes correct soon so you dont end up in surgery again sad.gif  With Hannah, I want to say that it sounds like normal 4 yr old behavior because Damian is exactly like that. But if you genuinely believe that she's not a disobedient child and that something might be wrong then maybe investigate it further? shrug.gif If Damian is watching tv or playing with his favorite toy it can be very hard to get his attention at times but I'm pretty sure his ears are fine - he's just too distracted to hear me  rolleyes.gif

Sorry that'll have to do for now.. sun is out so I better catch up on the washing - oh joy!

BBL!

#29 bellemae

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:15 AM

Just quickly, didn't take him to the Dr. It still looks nasty this morning, a little swollen, but mostly just bruised and scratched up. Doesn't look crooked so figured no point in going to a Dr.

Gotta go, uni stressing me, too much to do, to little time....

#30 ~*Sharon*~

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:23 PM

Belle - Poor Kai!!

Just a really quick one from me - I was not really expecting so many people to have posted since yesterday! lol.  I will try to come back later for personals.

I just wanted to give a better example of Hannah and the hearing thing, because I know the shoe thing just sounded typical 4 year old... lol.

This morning I handed her her shoes and asked her to put them on (so visual plus verbal request).  She put them on, and then came to where I was getting dressed and I asked her what she wanted for breakfast (I was not actually looking at her at the time, but it was clearly directed at her, and she would have heard the question without any problem).  She just stood there, so I waited for a moment, and then when she didn't say anything I asked her to repeat what I had just asked.  She told me that I had asked her to put her shoes on.  When (now talking directly to her, with eye contact) I then told her that I had asked what she wanted for breakfast, she had no idea that I had just said that.

There was not anything else (like TV or whatever) distracting her attention, and from her body language I am pretty sure that she was at least aware that I had just spoken to her on at least some level, but she just had no idea of what I had said.

I am actually really feeling for her at the moment, because she is such a good kid.  She really has no intention of misbehaving.  She will do things like this morning I came out and found her already dressed for kinder (having got her own clothes out, as I didn't get around to laying them out last night) and telling me that she had got herself dressed, and does that make me feel happy?  (which when I write it makes me sound like a bit of a monster who spends all day intimidating my kids - lol!  She meant it in a "I want you to be happy because I like doing things to make you smile" kind of way, not a "I want to stop you from screaming at me")

She hates being told off for not listening, or not being ready on time... and after the conversation yesterday with her kinder teacher I am becoming more convinced that there could be an issue, where before I was just blaming Hannah.  Her teacher has known her for over a year now, and it is a fairly small kinder, so if she saw reason to bring it up, then it is because she is actually seeing a potential issue.

Anyway, I have to phone audiologists and get some more work done!  I'll try to BBL!

ETA - The night before last I had to ask her 3 times what snack she wanted for kinder out of chocolate, ovalteenies and a fruit bar - so even sweet related things don't always manage to get her attention!

Edited by ~*Sharon*~, 17 March 2010 - 12:33 PM.

#31 butterflies

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:35 PM

The night before last I had to ask her 3 times what snack she wanted for kinder out of chocolate, ovalteenies and a fruit bar -

WOW Zahli would go hungry if she was to take those things to preschool.  We are not allowed to pack those things in their lunch boxes.

#32 Titania

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:36 PM

Yeah - Sharon - definitely a good idea to get it check out just in case.

#33 butterflies

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:38 PM

Zahli has been coughing all day, not a croup cough now but sounds wheezy, must try ventolin on her, it worked last time with the same kinda cough

Got an appointment for Alannah though not til end of April (the day after her birthday) I hope it goes away before then or it's not something nasty

Lynny yes the rash annoys her, it's itchy, but the claratine eases it.

#34 Titania

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (butterflies @ 17/03/2010, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOW Zahli would go hungry if she was to take those things to preschool.  We are not allowed to pack those things in their lunch boxes.

Lol - same here.

Oh the fruit bars (as in the 100% fruit natural no yukkie ones) are ok. But no they're not allowed to take
biscuits, or any junk at all.

#35 Titania

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:41 PM

Oh Karina, your poor girls! Hope Zahli's not too serious, and that Alannah's Uritcaria clears up. How horrible for her.

Both boys- especially G - are currently covered in dozens of tiny nymph tick bites (me too) - we had to use a razor to get them off. They had to have claratyne yesterday, and I've sent that with G today. Poor kid is SO itchy - it's driving him spare.

#36 ~*Sharon*~

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:43 PM

Karina - they are only allowed one small treat type thing with their lunch for the kids that stay over (at her kinder the formal kinder sessions are in the morning, and the 3 year old sessions are in the afternoon, but there are some places for kinder kids to book afternoon spots, which means staying for lunch), so she gets to pick one of those to go with her lunch (the chocolate is the smallest size kinder bar).  Snack time they are only allowed fruit.  I once got in trouble because we were out of fruit and I sent a small tub of yoghurt instead (I knew there was something dairy allowed - as it turns out they can have cheese).

The main reason she has those and not just a biscuit or a small muffin or something is that they have 2 kids with severe nut allergies, so they are not allowed anything with even traces of nuts so it limits what she can have that I can get off the shelf.

#37 ~*Sharon*~

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:44 PM

And the fruit bars she has are the 100% natural sort... although even those they are not allowed at morning/afternoon snack time.

#38 butterflies

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:46 PM

We have kids at the preschool that are highly allergic too, we have just had to stop doing the plate sharing at special kindy days (once a term for such things as easter, xmas lapathon etc) as there are too many kids with allergies this year.

The preschool does not allow any cakes sweet biscuits, fruit or muesli bars or anything sweet and sticky that can stick to their teeth.  I do make a banana cake for Zahli but I have cut down the sugar and the butter in the recipe and the teachers know that.  It is so hard to think of things to go in Zahlis lunch box at times because she can't have dried fruit (or vegemite though not too bothered about that)

T wow that sounds awful, I hope you all stop itching soon.

Just had to struggle to get Zahli to take ventolin, her cough is getting worse as the day goes on, I hope it works.

off to netball training well not me but both Paris and Alannah do an hour each, DH won't be home any time soon so I have rugged Zahli up and charged the ipod so she can snuggle in the car.

#39 ~~Lynny~~

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:52 PM

Dont mind me, just blabbering to myself wink.gif Tounge1.gif I can't help but wonder if the preschools' sandpit is to blame for Emily's rash huh.gif it would explain why there werent that many spots on her tummy/back, no fever and nothing on her face - and she hasnt been sick at all.  She has played in there before with no ill effects but maybe something got into it since then? shrug.gif  As some of you might know already, her skins' really sensitive to mozzie bites etc so it wouldnt take much for her to react to something like that.. It only lasted two days as well - it's completely clear today  mellow.gif

#40 Kay1

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:41 PM

OMG an explosion of posts!

Sharon - Yep if her teacher is thinking its an issue then I would also be getting it checked out. Not that it necessarily means a problem but she'd be comparing her to lots of kids whereas we just have the one (if its our first).

Belle - OMG poor Kai! I hope he's okay. I'd probably take him to the doc anyway just to be sure. How is he tonight?

Lynny - Interesting about the rash! Leo has had a rash from the sandpit before (ours, its filthy and needs sand changing, I keep it closed but he gets in there anyway). It was all around his nappy ( he was pantsless) where the nappy made the sand chaff his skin and then obviously some nasty got in. Nate got a similar rash from playing in the sand on the harbour once. I put dettol cream on them for a few days and it cleared up. Didn't you say Em's mouth and tongue were all red though? I am thinking of getting the flu vacc for all of us this year (once swine flu is added in). I've not had one before (that I remember) and am a bit nervous about it.

Kirsten - Poor Rosie. I am grateful that Nate doesn't seem to mind the straps on his "boot". It was hurting his heel, rubbing the skin off but the physio let it out a bit so its okay now. He has a scar though. Can you remind me why she has the splints? Is it because of the toe walking? I was talking to a friend today who was a toe walker as a child and now her daughter is doing it. She's not too worried because its never hindered her except that she runs on her toes now (runs marathons mind you!).

Eating - Thanks all, I am fairly sure Leo's issues are teeth related. Saw tonight he has one eye tooth just through and one bulging. Tonight I was home late and had been out all day so flung some baked beans on toast for the kids for dinner and he devoured the lot!! And a banana, a pot of pureed apple and a yoghurt wacko.gif . They said he didn't eat at preschool though so maybe its an either or situation!! I don't really mind him not eating, because he does eat at other times but its the behaviour that goes with it...screaming and demanding nanas etc  - grrrr.

#41 Kay1

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:09 PM

Sorry, had to dash, neighbour was knocking on the door telling us he's demolishing the fence tomorrow and building a new one - oh and we have to pay half. glare.gif

Karina - I hope Zahli's cough gets better soon and the ventolin works. Its great stuff.

Well my dilemma for the day....hmmmm.....so there's a good primary school very near us, 500 ms away. We checked it out last week, all seems good, great reputation, great NAPLAN, small school etc and did I mention 500 METRES AWAY!!!

Anyway so for completeness sake I decided to check out the other local school, telling DH it would have to be "pretty fricken awesome" for me to consider it. Well guess what? Yep, its extremely awesome!! sad.gif laughing2.gif So now I don't know what to do. Its 1.5 kms away but a few hills. Too far for me to walk every day but not too far for kids to walk I guess, when they're a bit older. They could also ride bikes I guess (no busy roads). My other concern is that its in a small dead end street and frankly I imagine pick up and drop off to be a nightmare. I will check it out though obviously. Also need to check how much the P and C levies are because the lady did mention those a few times. Gee it was awesome though wub.gif Just incredibly organised, classrooms are only 2 years old, only 2 kindy classes, gorgeous grounds, the new hall is almost complete and there is a brilliant new playground too. I spoke to the deputy head teacher about Nate reading and she gave a very good response about how they cater for kids like that which was a major factor. Admittedly I haven't toured the other school or spoken to their teaching staff....but it certainly didn't look as nice or organised. Gah!! What to do! The admin lady today was happy to take my application (we are out of area) and said we'd definitely get in, but if we do decide not to go ahead we need to let them know so they can offer the out of area spot to other people (fair enough). Righto, off to think.

Edited by Kay1, 17 March 2010 - 08:12 PM.

#42 Titania

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:29 PM

Kay - I'd go tour the other school pronto. Just because... well... it may be awesome too, and as long as it's pretty good for the kids - well, kids are adaptable. Things just need to be good - and not necessarily 'perfect' in order for them to thrive - and being 500mtrs away would make things so easy for you too. And having a happy, non-stressed mama - also contriutes to the kid's well being. Just my two cents. original.gif We moved where we did, so we can walk to the school lol.

Lynny - could it be nymph ticks? They are rife around here - and smaler than a grain of sand. If you didn't know - you would just assume the kids had a realy ad itch rash - G especially.. Look in the centre (if they are small red raised lumps)  - see if there's a little dark centre (tick). Sorry, you probably know this stuff...

#43 Kay1

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:58 PM

Things just need to be good - and not necessarily 'perfect' in order for them to thrive - and being 500mtrs away would make things so easy for you too. And having a happy, non-stressed mama - also contriutes to the kid's well being. Just my two cents.  We moved where we did, so we can walk to the school lol.

Oh I KNOW!! And this is EXACTLY the advice I'd give to anyone else LOL....its just that this school is so lovely and they just seemed streets ahead in terms of organisation....I don't know I just would feel really confident that Nate would be in good hands there and not 'overlooked' IYKWIM (he tends to hide in a group)? For example they have school annual reports, newsletters you can access online, their website is fantastic and up to date. The closer school's website is barely functional, out of date and full of broken links - they didn't have a report or newsletter. I will definitely tour the other school and make a decision after that, but I am just kind of annoyed I am even contemplating this because I was so stoked on the nearness of the other school. ddoh.gif

#44 bellemae

Posted 17 March 2010 - 10:15 PM

Tough one Kay. Previously I would have said go with the closer one...but...now, after a few years of doing the school thing with Tien, and seeing him overlooked because he doesn't fit into the standard mould (he's more sensitive/less confident than you're average boy, and very quiet so goes by unnoticed a lot)...if the further away school seems like it would cater better to his educational needs, go for it. 1.5km really isn't that far, once Nate can ride a bike you can ride there together original.gif  Sorry, I probably didn't make the decision making any easier..

#45 butterflies

Posted 18 March 2010 - 04:31 AM

morning

Zahli and Paris are both awake Paris with a sore knee where she fell over at training yesterday and Zahli with her croupy cough again, ventolin didn't work last night or this morning. So no swimming for Zahli.

Kay my advice is go with the closer one (if it's in walking distance) school parking is horrendous and if you can walk there it would be soooo much easier.  But hey it's not my child and I am just going by personal experience because our school is a shocker to say the least.  I would love to live close to the school and walk.  It's so hard to know what the right thing to do. good luck.

#46 Titania

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:37 AM

I agree on the parking. They are often double parked out the front of our school. So glad we can walk there - and even better that Griff will be going to preschool directly across the road from the school.
It's a bit of a hike (a kilometre maybe) - but not even worth driving on rainy days - as we'd only get half way there before having to find a parking spot.

Heh, and I can get a coffee at the cafe on the way home. original.gif

Speaking of all this - we just came back from open day at the school. So happy we are in the local zoning and don't have to go on the wait list - it's such a great school. They have three school bands, and great dance classes etc. Lor SO excited.

Oh, I couldn't believe that they are going to have 4 kindy classes next year! They have three this year. They're building some new facilities, and they had to turn so many families away this year...

Edited by Titania, 18 March 2010 - 10:40 AM.

#47 Kay1

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:35 AM

Yeah I know, the driving/parking issue is huge. However so is the standard of education. There are some kids in our street who go to the further school and they walk there. Also they can definitely ride when they're a bit older, its just up until then. For next year for example even if I got a trailer bike (Nate will not be able to ride a bike by next year) then where does Leo go?? unsure.gif Anyway I'm going to do a drive by tomorrow morning at drop off time and see what its like. I expect chaos but perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised.

#48 Kay1

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:39 AM

T - Great to hear Lor's school is looking so good. original.gif

#49 Titania

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:07 PM

Lynny/Kay

Swine/flu vaccine...

I rang our GP about getting ours done, yesterday.
I was told the standard seasonal flu vaccine isn't out yet, and won't be until after Easter some time - delayed because of the huge deployment of the separate swine flu vax. BUT she also said the seasonal flu vaccine WON'T be containing the H1N1 vax... and they will have to be gotten separately (and not at the same time either) - which is contrary to what I've read. I think she may have been wrong... Anyone know anything?

#50 Titania

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:11 PM

Never mind - she was wrong according to the NSW health department.
http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/publichealth/...ation/index.asp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.