Raw Milk delivery?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#26 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:20 PM

View PostFroyo, on 24 January 2019 - 07:12 PM, said:

It seems to be aligned with the appeal to nature fallacy- that "natural" = safe and "unnatural/processed" etc = unsafe.

Arsenic is natural.
And it has the word a*se in it.
I wonder if EB will de-swear arsenic the same way it de-swears sw**ky.

#27 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:24 PM

It's funny who does the raw milk thing. A friend of mine who is pro vax, anti religion, very scientific actually posted that she was giving her then 4 year old son raw milk to drink. Shocked me heaps as I didn't  that one coming.

#28 **Tiger*Filly**

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:31 PM

I loved DD#3’s cute little MCNs! I made most of hers though, some of them upcycled from baby suits that were too small.
We used to drink raw milk on my grandad’s farm occasionally when I was a child but there’s no way I’d be doing it now or seeking it out. I suppose at least when it was straight from the cow it was fresh.

#29 JRA

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:35 PM

We used to drink raw milk on my grandad’s farm occasionally when I was a child but there’s no way I’d be doing it now or seeking it out. I suppose at least when it was straight from the cow it was fresh.

YEp

#30 *Spikey*

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:35 PM

Yep, I too have had straight up milk (after straining it through muslin) from a cow I'd milked that morning. It was delicious - and because the cow was well kept, and they took a lot of care to sterilise their equipment, it was probably relatively safe. However, they did heat it in a pressure cooker so effectively boiling it to kill off bacteria. Still tasted the same after that though.

But, pasteurised milk was safer again, because you know its guaranteed to have killed the microbes.

#31 PrincessPeach

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:37 PM

My brother & SIL have raw milk - it comes from the 2 cows that live in her parents house paddock.

Even my anti-vaxing, all natural thing loving SIL wouldn't buy raw milk.

MCN's however, love them to bits but certainly didn't pay $50 per nappy for them.

#32 Weavile

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:09 PM

View PostJenflea, on 24 January 2019 - 04:32 PM, said:

Why on earth would you want to sit in a bath of unpasteurised milk?

I shudder to think of what infections and bugs it'd have.

Milk baths are a thing for people who are trying to lighten their skin, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't require raw milk. In fact a lot of places suggest milk powder for convenience.

When these old threads pop up I am always amazed at the change in EB, this thread wouldn't last an hour if it was posted today

#33 WaitForMe

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:39 PM

View PostFuture-self, on 24 January 2019 - 05:50 PM, said:

That was pretty typical of 2010 EB though.
All about  the freebirthing, antivax, and raw milk...

Wow was it a sudden change? I was barely on EB back then, don't think I read many threads often, but it was only a year or two later I was on here quite a bit. Don't remember EB ever being antivax or pro raw milk. I do remember freebirthing being a contentious issue.

#34 **Tiger*Filly**

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:45 PM

I don’t think EB as a whole was ever antivax, but I think there was a section of EB where it was tolerated. Quite rightly, it is not tolerated at all anymore.

#35 purplekitty

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:57 PM

There were some passionate antivaxxers on EB and there were some epic threads in WDYT.

Back then there was sympathy for 'both sides of the debate' and even an antivax subforum.
Hard to imagine and irresponsible.

#36 aace

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:02 PM

I remember there use to be some very vocal anti abortion members and some very long WAHM vs SAHM debate...

I was the fool that bought the $50 frilly nappies :wacko: … Not sure what I was thinking! All I know now is that I can't even sell these fluffy, frilly nappies for $10 even though they were used a few times (some only once!)

#37 Oriental lily

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:06 PM

I have been on EB since 2004 and it was deffinetly more alternative parenting .

It was never completely anti vax but with the charlatans link to autism still fresh there was heaps of fear .

Most people were very accepting to delayed vaccine  schedules .

That seemed to be were people ‘met’ in the middle of  acceptance.

The biggest difference was how anti formula feeding it was .

Calling oneself a ‘breastfeeding N’ was said with pride .

And if you admitted to going straight to the bottle without even trying to BF it was like admitting to gets your kicks from drowning puppies .

#38 nup

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:46 PM

Bugaboos were around $2000
The baloori cots were the must have at about the same with matchy matchy furniture
The cost of MCNs was a walk inthe park  compared to the hand woven limited edition eye wateringly expensive wraps
And I paid $220 for a size 8 free range organic 🦃 turkey

Lotus birth, eating placenta and delayed vax were all the rage. Drinking bath milk was never cool but cow shares had their moment.

#39 AsperHacker

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:56 PM

View PostOriental lily, on 24 January 2019 - 10:06 PM, said:

The biggest difference was how anti formula feeding it was .

Calling oneself a ‘breastfeeding N’ was said with pride .

And if you admitted to going straight to the bottle without even trying to BF it was like admitting to gets your kicks from drowning puppies .

That's one thing that seems to have changed not just on eb. Tolerance to that N word and other not so *PC* words and phrases has pretty much disappeared. Even on fb most people just seem to be a tiny bit more sensitive to how they use words... pretty sure the PC brigade hasnt even realised they are, but I've noticed (complete w*n*ers excluded).

EB is almost, imo, pro formula feeding now. Bfing seems to be not seen as the norm (I dont mean normal) and how awesome bfing is seems to be overshadowed by needing to state how awesome ffing is.

#40 purplekitty

Posted 24 January 2019 - 10:59 PM

I'd forgotten about Lotus births.

Thankfully.

#41 BECZ

Posted 25 January 2019 - 01:01 AM

My pop was a dairy farmer and I tried raw milk straight from the cow once and never again!  Gross!
As a kid I loved milk, but this was just, no!  It probably didn't help that it was still warm.

I didn't get too caught up with MCN's.  I had a few (6 I think), but with my first two being 15 months apart, I couldn't see myself keeping on top of it, so was lazy and used Huggies.  The few I had were usually being used or dirty, so I guess that helped a bit, but mine were all plain and boring.

Oh, I have to confess when it comes to Boori furniture, all 4 of my kids have nothing but Boori in their rooms.  Not at all because it was the thing, I love natural wood and that was just the one that we liked at the baby shop without any prior knowledge or assistance.  We bought it for DD1 in 2006 when it wasn't so 'must have' and just added to it.  Don't like much of their new stuff though.

I became a member on EB back around 2007, but couldn't remember my password when I came back a few years later, but yes, it was very different to today.

#42 Silver Girl

Posted 25 January 2019 - 04:54 AM

I remember the anti vax, raw milk, home/free birthing threads. Obstetricians were the enemy and had no idea what they were talking about.

I miss the threads where members would enthuse about their MCN “stashes”. I used MCNs part-time then and still do, but most were plain and under $50.

Remember the breastfeeding threads about women who’s been asked not to breastfeed in public? “Feed Ins” (I think that’s what they were called) were organised where 100s of bf Mums would descend on the offending cafe, pool etc. I thought that was a great way to prove a point. (I only bf part-time but appreciated the sentiment.)

Does anyone remember when everyone had cute sigs made by Charli73?

#43 suline

Posted 25 January 2019 - 05:33 AM

Yes I remember the Charli73 signatures! I also remember around that time learning a few things about cloth nappies, and woven woven wraps debates especially relating to cost, something I still have a passion (and collection of)
I also remember a mum called Katrina who had a son called Colter/Coulter and another forum page had a massive b**ch thread about bogan baby names and “Coulter” on EB was mentioned- well I think everyone started using the “King Coulter” signature by Charlie73 as a form of support, as this child had suffered terrible birth asphyxia and months later passed away. Around that time the mum weighed in on one of the homebirth debates. I never see her mentioned in the “do you remember” threads but I still think of her son to this day.

#44 Silver Girl

Posted 25 January 2019 - 06:07 AM

Actually I think the sigs were made by Charlie23 - I had my wires crossed.

I don’t remember Coulter’s tragic story, that must have been before my time.

#45 Sancti-claws

Posted 25 January 2019 - 06:27 AM

I grew up with "frosky" milk (that was our term for the very fresh milk from the cow that lived on our property), but milk is treated for a reason.

Its one of those science/progress things that makes sense, although I once took some back to uni and my friends had NEVER tasted anything like it - pasteurisation definitely does alter the flavour!

I joined in 2009 when pregnant with my second.  There was definitely a more alternative crowd as part of the general milieu - and some ding dong battles.

As I had been a terry flat mother with my first, it was interesting - and yes, I got some MCNs from the Trading Centre.

I think the changes came about because a few flounces, a few grew up - and Fairfax bought the business?

#46 knottygirl

Posted 25 January 2019 - 06:34 AM

We had it on a camp I went to in high school. We had to get up and milk the cows then the milk was strained through a cloth and each group given a bucket to use for the day. This wasn’t that long ago either, in 1998.

From what I understand, raw milk is fine if milked from the cow and drank the same day - there isn’t time for the pathogens to multiply.  When you start drinking it a week later that’s when there is problems.

#47 born.a.girl

Posted 25 January 2019 - 06:50 AM

View Postknottygirl, on 25 January 2019 - 06:34 AM, said:

We had it on a camp I went to in high school. We had to get up and milk the cows then the milk was strained through a cloth and each group given a bucket to use for the day. This wasn’t that long ago either, in 1998.

From what I understand, raw milk is fine if milked from the cow and drank the same day - there isn’t time for the pathogens to multiply.  When you start drinking it a week later that’s when there is problems.

Exactly.  I wouldn't drink raw milk from a shop if you paid me.  We did a farm stay once where we had free milk, fresh from the cow and had no hesitation whatsoever in using it.

I doubt our billy milk on King Island in the 1960s was pasteurised either, but it was from cows milked that morning.

#48 Mose

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:09 AM

As someone who had her long awaited first in 2011, and am back with a second (also long awaited!) I am glad to see the breastfeeding advice is more balanced.

I doggedly insisted on believing that I couldn't possibly have a supply issue - and only accepted it when the paed showed me what his muscles looked like vs what they should look like. When I came here for advice on resuming comp feeding, I was told not to do it, that i couldn't have an actually unresolvable supply issue, to try all the things I had already tried, and ignore the advice of MCHN, GP, LC and paed...because EB's breastfeeding wisdom was better. So dangerous!

Just as some people can't conceive naturally (me for instance), some can't naturally process blood sugars or gluten...some can't breastfeed for whatever reason. I am glad EB had come around to that.

Both of my children were comp fed. Neither of them gave up BF due to bottle preference. I am sure it happens to some kids, but it sure isn't a worse outcome than them being under nourished!

#49 *holdontight*

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:37 AM

View PostHypnic Jerk, on 24 January 2019 - 06:43 PM, said:

I got in on the MCN!  Though I'm sure I didn't pay$50 for one.  Used them too, mostly.  I only stopped when DS was diagnosed with ASD and I couldn't deal with everything going on.

I used to read the homebirth threads as well.  Decided while in labour (and not fully present with reality) with DD that I should stay home and not go into hospital.  My mother was banging about the kitchen making a racket so I was then happy to get out of there.

sooo want to know what you wrote and deleted.
Teaser

hehe sorry, sorry I grew up on the land and I found some comments & assumptions quite offensive but will leave it at that, I'm trying to learn to walk away from these sort of things :p

Edited by letten, 25 January 2019 - 07:38 AM.

#50 StudentOfEarth

Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:44 AM

It is sad when people's egos are so fragile that they have to resort to ad hominem and implications of idiocy instead of having an adult conversation. But I suppose that is just too much for some.

It's funny because there was no "absolute" with the child dying. It was just what was assumed. It was a "probable cause" in other words they don't know. Very little information was given. There are many factors in health and sickness and none were provided. Isn't that odd? Nah must of been the milk without a doubt! *eye roll*
Considering how many people drink raw milk in countries where it is legal, why do you not hear of thousands of people dying? Wouldn't it be an epidemic? Why is raw milk not illegal in every country if it is so dangerous? Why is it that people in "primitive" parts of the world who consume large quantities of raw dairy, why are they not dying? Why are they in such good health?
Why do you never hear about pasteurised milk causing sickness? And yes it does happen.
https://www.realmilk...steurized-milk/
I don't really care to change anyone's mind on the matter. That was never my goal or interest and making my comment. Resorting to character attacks shows me that you are not worth having a discussion with and are not capable of tolerating difference of opinion.
We all don't have to agree but we could at least all act like adults. That'd be refreshing.

If you don't like something. Cool. There is such a thing as scrolling along. Not saying anything. It's quite simple really.

Have a nice day :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.