Expecting Multiples ~ # 92

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
144 replies to this topic

#51 Babylonging

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:28 AM

Hi Jill, how are you??  How has the first 2 years of having twins gone???  I hadn't been on EB for ages either, then when I found out I was having twins I figured it would be good to talk to some other ladies having twins!  It's a pretty scary thing!!  How was it for you?  What's going on with you these days?

Sam x

#52 Busy Bee Mama

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:39 AM

Hi all, I have been lurking around here for the last few weeks and I thought I would introduce myself properly.

Here's my details:
Username/Real name: Busy Bee Mama / Kate
Twins due: 1st May 2010
Sex of twins/ID or Fraternal?: two little girls! Yay! most likely fraternal
Hospital: Gold Coast Hospital
Other children: Three boys: Connor 8, Griffynn 4, Brannigan 2 3/4

So over being pregnant! I feel huge, though I always get comments that I'm tiny for twins. When I first found out it was twins all the information I got and people I talked to seemed make out it would be a miracle to make it 36wks but will be 36wks tomorrow and no sign of the bubbas so far. Because I and babies have been doing so well, the hospital seems to have gotten a bit blase about me, saying I need less appointments and ultrasounds, but I have an appointment on Monday and then a scan the week after. Last scan was at 33 weeks and both girls were around 2kgs each.  original.gif

#53 bella87au

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:45 PM

Busy Bee Mama I too am on the gold coast!!! Twins are due mid August, but would love to try to catch up once they are born???? I Am goin to gold coasty hospital as well, because they were fantastic during my first preg!!!!!!

Not much else to post, busy busy busy packing and cleaning, and pushing box's around with my bum in the air, coz  cant lift lol!!!

been lurking, so will prob cont to do so, as time wil be very short over the next few days!!

XXX
Bella

#54 greenthumbgirl

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:18 PM

Congrats Michelle  babygirl.gif  babygirl.gif

#55 Busy Bee Mama

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:06 AM

Hey Bella,

nice to know another twin mum on the coast! Have you been in touch with the Gold Coast Multiples Association? I gave them a ring and they were going to ring me back about the next info night/get-together they were going to have and I haven't heard back from them as yet.  original.gif

#56 jobstar

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:57 PM

I hope everyone has had a lovely weekend. I know I sure did - spending with family and friends! I'm on count down - only 4 more days at work then it's holidays for 2 weeks. I cant wait!

Congratulations Michelle on the safe arrival of your beautiful baby girls. I hope all three are doing well. Pop back in when you can and post some happy snaps.

Quick question - when I went to see the OB at 12 weeks and had just found out that I was having twins she basically said that would mean I have to have a C-section. I was a little bit surprised and hadn't really thought about it. but as the weeks go by I am starting to weigh up my options. What is everyone else doing? And if you don't mind sharing why you have opted for one or the other that would also help me. Also can anyone point me in the right direction so I can research it.

I'll be back tomorrow to post an updated list  waves.gif

#57 harrison~at~last

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:27 PM

I am online on my phone in bed because I have gastro! So not what I need but hopefully the worst of it is over!

Jobstar - I will be having a c-section. I highly doubt with triplets they would let me try naturally but I had an elective c/s with dd because I have a bowel disease etc. If your twins were both in the right positions for a natural delivery there shouldn't be by reason you can't try a natural delivery? I did find my elective great and I recovered quickly but I don't have an emergency to compare it too.

#58 Always amazed!

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:40 PM

Jobstar I will be having a c/s.. but I have also had 2 previous c/s.
If this had of only been 1 bub i would of tried for a VBA2C.

If bubs are in the right position.. Baby A head down there should be no reason why you cant try for a VB.

Well things are good hear im 34 weeks now so only 3w4d till my c/s.... I want them to stay in a bit longer but if they came now i am not to worried!

Hope everyone is well!

#59 Steggles

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:38 PM

Quick question - when I went to see the OB at 12 weeks and had just found out that I was having twins she basically said that would mean I have to have a C-section. I was a little bit surprised and hadn't really thought about it. but as the weeks go by I am starting to weigh up my options. What is everyone else doing? And if you don't mind sharing why you have opted for one or the other that would also help me. Also can anyone point me in the right direction so I can research it.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE find a new Ob. You can have a VB with twins (provided twin A is head down). I had a fabulous birth - and would so so recommend finding an OB who is supportive of VBing twins. I would place a bet that even if you get your OB to agree to VB it will end up being a CS - if that was the straight up attitude regarding VBs.

Some people will have no choice but to have a CS - and that is fine! Its reality! But if you can have a birth that is lower intervention, and not an operation, it will mean an easier recovery for you.

Off my soap box! original.gif

#60 greenthumbgirl

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:59 PM

I'm in the same position as Jobstar both of our OB's tend to lean towards a C-section. Not that it's been discussed in any great detail.

#61 bella87au

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:28 PM

Busy Bee Mama Ohhhh let me know if they get back to you!!! I would love to go!! We are just in the process of moving out of our town house, so are currently staying at the MIL's place which is in Edens Landing, but will prob end back up on the coast somewhere!!!!!!

I am opting for a c-section. I have weighed up my options and I have chosen this option. I had difficult labour with DS which ended in him being pulled out via forcepts, and took me a few months to recover.

So tired, off to bed!!!

xxx
Bella

#62 Babylonging

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:55 AM

I've got a really supportive OB for a VB for my twins... thankfully.  Although when he explained why I need to have an epidural it did make me think twice about it being the easiest option!!  I thought it was in case of a CS needed, but no, in case he has to manipulate the 2nd baby to get it out - which involves his arm!!!!!  Ouch!

On a different note - is anyone else sh*t scared about having their twins actuallly arrive and looking after them??   I guess more so the girls who are due soon, and there's a few due before me.  I'm just having days where I'm quite scared now that it's only 7 1/2 weeks to go to 38 weeks..... which means it could be 5 1/2 weeks really.... who knows!  It's starting to feel soon...  I hope I'm not alone with these scared feelings!  I know I'll cope, you just do, but I do worry about being depressed from lack of sleep etc...

I hope everyone had a good weekend!

Sam x

#63 Busy Bee Mama

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:28 AM

I am delivering at the Gold Coast Hospital through the public system. I want a VB,  as for my first three I had easy, quick, no complications deliveries with only gas. C-sections scare me a little as everyone I have encountered in the maternity wards after I've had my older three were in so much pain and had such trouble bonding with and settling their babies. The OBs at GC Hospital have said they will let me try a natural birth, but only if both babies have their heads down and I have to have an epidural not matter what. They have said that there is a 50% chance that I will have to have a c-section for the second baby after delivering the first naturally and a 1 in 10 chance with natural deliveries that the second twin will die. Hearing statistics like that is horrible but I am trying to be positive as I have never had a problem with delivering naturally before, the difference this time is that its twins not a singleton birth. I just can't wait to have both my little girls safe in the world with me.

I am 36 weeks now, so very little time left to go either way. I really thought I was in labour last night, as I had contractions for a while that were getting more regular and painful. After a few hours I started timing them, they were lasting for about a minute about 5 mins apart. Noises were irritating me, I felt anxious when my husband was out of sight, and couldn't stand to be touched or talked to during a contraction. I had a dull ache in my lower back, and hips and pelvis were really hurting, then just as I was about to ring the hospital to say we were coming in and mother-in-law to look after kids, the next contraction didn't come, it came after 20 mins, I had 3 or 4 20 mins apart, and then one after an hour, and then one more another hour later and then nothing. By this time I was exhausted and anxious and very confused! I couldn't really sleep last night as back didn't stop hurting. So I don't know what was going on, it really felt like labour not braxton hicks even though I can get very painful braxtons. Maybe the start of pre-labour???? Anyways I have a hospital appointment this afternoon, so they can check me out and hopefully tell me whats happening.

#64 Steggles

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:36 AM

They have said that there is a 50% chance that I will have to have a c-section for the second baby after delivering the first naturally and a 1 in 10 chance with natural deliveries that the second twin will die.

I am 99.9% certain that those statistics are false - Am sure FW will confirm this? I bet the 50% chance is because they wont VB a breech baby - which is totally possible!

Although when he explained why I need to have an epidural it did make me think twice about it being the easiest option!! I thought it was in case of a CS needed, but no, in case he has to manipulate the 2nd baby to get it out - which involves his arm!!!!! Ouch!

It's not that bad wink.gif My twin 2 was breech - make sure you have a camera ready wink.gif

#65 harrison~at~last

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:00 PM

BBM - While I'm not encouraging you to have a c/s at all

C-sections scare me a little as everyone I have encountered in the maternity wards after I've had my older three were in so much pain and had such trouble bonding with and settling their babies

This isn't always the case.  I had DD by elective c/s and didn't have either of these problems.  I was walking up and down from Neo Nates within 14hrs of her birth (she was born at 7.10pm).  I was with her in recovery straight after my c/s, we had no problems bonding, and 3 weeks post op I was cutting trees back with my DH.  My 2 sisters have had 4 c/s' between them and all had great recoveries and no bonding issues.  

#66 greenthumbgirl

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:16 PM

Hello again,

Just got back from visiting OB No.2. Got a thumbs up report, heart rates at 151 and 145. They seem happy, currently in top and tail position...probably kicking each other in the head...is that a sign of things to come?  laugh.gif I think? I'm starting to feel them move, hard to tell.

VB vs C-section Wow this topic is certainly getting some air time. I'm going to save it up for OB No.1 in three weeks time. At this early stage, I'm not really attached to one or the other.

Anyone having the flu shot? I asked OB No.2 today and she suggested that I should have it. Interested to know what you ladies think?

GTG

Edited by greenthumbgirl, 29 March 2010 - 05:17 PM.

#67 jobstar

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the C-Section. I should have said my OB also said that if I wanted a VB I could convince her. Just worried that as soon as something little happens she will opt for a C-section. I just want to research all my options and have it very clear in my head so I can make an informed choice.

About the swine flu shot. I posted some questions earlier today in the general question forum. This is another thing that I have been weighing up so when I went to the doctors yesterday to have a BT to check my thyroid I asked the GP about it and he said that he hasn't had it nor would have it until it has been tested fully. It is only early days and yet to see if there are any real side effects especially in pregnant women. Knowing my story and our long journey to get where I am today he advice was not to have it. I am still a little worried as I am teacher and around 1000 kids every day. Also the parents at this school (selective) send them to school when they are sick as dogs as they are worried that they may miss out on something. Really interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on this one too!

#68 harrison~at~last

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:03 PM

I'll be getting the flu shot, moreso to cover me from swine flu than anything.  It's not a live vaccine so poses no risk to the babies.  I am more concerned about what swine flu could do to me and them than what the vaccine may or may not do.  I was advised by the midwife and Ob to get it.

#69 LemonMyrtle

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:46 AM

I want to get the normal flu shot, and it seems that swine flu is included in that. Does anyone know if you can get just the standard old flu shot?

I think I want DH to move out. He is going away again next week; it's tough on my own esp feeling so tired now but it makes me realise I can do it. I just dont know how to raise the topic; whenever I raised any issues he either gets really angry and storms off or we fight but then nothing still changes.

#70 greenthumbgirl

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:48 AM

LemonMyrtle  hhugs.gif I really hope things work out ok, which ever way you decide to go. As far as I know it's an all in one flu shot, just going on what the OB told me yesterday.

Fertile women Very nice baby gutz! How many weeks are you? It's funny....I can't really imagine my own belly growing to that size  grin.gif but I'm pretty sure it will!!

AFM I just don't know what to do about the flu shot. OB No.2 said yesterday she didn't normally recommend it (i should have asked why), but in the case of a high risk PG she does recommend it. I've had a look at the Vic Govt health dept website and it also recommends the flu shot for PG women. There wasn't a great deal of detail regarding the vac risks, all it said was that it's been made and used for 40 years.

I am concerned because a couple of close friends have already had flu like symptoms (not just a cold). They've been fantastic, and will ring stating that they're sick and staying away. But it's been the random (sticky nose) visitors that seem to have no drama informing me once sitting firmly on my couch, that they are or have recently been sick. (that includes gastro) I'm not normally anal over thinks like that, but I seem to be sentitive to it at the moment. I know that sounds stupid because it's not as if I don't go out in public, supermarket etc.

GTG

Edited by greenthumbgirl, 30 March 2010 - 11:50 AM.

#71 harrison~at~last

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:31 PM

Amanda - DH and I are a bit the same lately!  PM me if you like, or we could try to catch up for a coffee one day?

#72 00ruby00

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:03 PM

heya everyone..

haven't been around much the last few days... have had a horrible head cold sad.gif Which ds shared with the WHOLE bloody lot of us.... but unfortunately... I was the last to get it.

29 weeks tomorrow..... this pregnancy is going soooo fast.... I feel like I am not in control... not much is done nursey wise etc. We were told at our 19 week scan we were having boy/girl twins.. but so hestitant to take tag's off things...and wash them... iykwim. We don't have another ultrasound until 34 weeks.. .for a growth scan.. so HOPEFULLY they can double check. But I really wanted things well and truelly set up etc by then.

F/W- Nice gutz lol...

Some of you might have already seen this picture... but my friend and I were shooting a red carpet ball... on saturday night and she needed to do a test shot....  Well I was being a tad silly.. lol... but thought I would share.

Had a filling done this morning... and  3 hours later.... I finally have all the feeling back in my face. I felt like I was constantly drooling LOL.

My baby girl.. Amaya.. isn't well... 39.3 her temp was lastnight and again when she woke up at 550am this morning. sad.gif I can't even get into the dr's at all this week.. they are fully booked rant.gif I hate my dr's you need to know you are sick 2 weeks or so in advance to get an appointment with your dr.
See how she is when she wakes up from her sleep.

We should start building our house in the next month ddance.gif HOPEFULLY we should be in by xmas!!

Delivery- It all depends on the way twin 1 is.. if he/she is heads down.. we are all good to go. I will need to have an epidural in though.. just incase I need to have twin 2 turned oomg.gif or my ob needs to get twin 2 out in a hurry.

I went to a twins workshop on friday..... and OMG... so so scared LOL. Definately an eye opener lol. We watched a dvd on c-section and natural delievery.... the lady doing the workshop asked afterwards if anyone had any questions... I piped up and said " do I have to do it... can't my husband" hahaha everyone laughed at me LOL.

Amanda... I hope everything is going ok with you and your dh. If you need to chat.. pm me on facebook hun :hug:

Hiya to everyone..... gotta run... and try and have a nap before picking ds up from pre-primary.

#73 LemonMyrtle

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:04 PM

Thanks Kel; trouble at the moment is I am still working FT (and studying PT) until 21 May. But happy for a coffee then, unless you can do weekends.

FW, we have had probs on and off for some time. I dont know if this is crunch time or its the hormones adding to it/ making me see 'sense'.

Kathreen, great shot LOL. Hope Amaya feels better. We have our usual (make an appt) dr and then we use a sit in the clinic one for when something suddenly pops up. Thta place wont let you make an appt, but the longest I have waited is an hour. Now I know about the locum service tho and it is great cos its free (bulk billed) and it means we dont have sit in a waiting room full of sick ppl.
Wow you have had a big gap between scans. I had my last one (morph) at 20wks and he told me to have a sizing one at 24 and 28... couldnt get in at 24 so it's 25 (tomorrow) and 29. And then it will either be 4 weeks or 2 weeks. Plus he scans at each visit to him so I hvae been able to see the gender a few times to be sure.

Better get this assignment done- why can't they write themselves?

Edited by LemonMyrtle, 30 March 2010 - 08:08 PM.

#74 00ruby00

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:05 PM

Poor Amaya.. is still not well... poor little chicken. sad.gif

Amanda... my ob has a verrrrrrrry old machine in her room.. so I get a scan there every vist for a few mins... but can't really see much.. iykwim. I have only seen her 2 times since my 19 week scan lol... and again in 2 weeks time.
I did ask her about a growth scan...and she said.. that she has a degree in doing ultrasounds... or some gibber gabber lol...and said I don't need one.... as she said  they are looking fine...at approx 1.1kg and 1.0kg each. She did give me a referral to book in for an ultrasound at 34 weeks.. to check growth and well being....
Hope things work out between you and your dh... I couldn't picture being a single mum to 5.... is there a scared face lol.

#75 Guest_AprilFinch_*

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:47 AM

Kathreen, I'm due exactly the same day as you and my two are around the same size... if a little bigger boy 1.4kg and girl 1.2kg.  My first baby was 4.5kg at birth though so I tend make 'em slightly bigger!  

I've had scans at 12, 20 and 28 weeks and am booked for another at 34 weeks.  We're going private so at $290 a pop, it's not a cheap exercise (haven't done a claim yet to know how much, if any, we get back).  I have felt it's slightly over the top having so many scans but then I am always relieved when I see them.  My OB has a machine in her rooms but it's too small to pic them up now - at least when I visit her she puts the doppler on and we can hear the heartbeats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.