Do you follow RL/AFL OR FOOTBALL (SOCCER)

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 BVB09

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:32 AM

I really enjoy the round ball sport known as "football".

What do you follow and why ? biggrin.gif

#2 hermeandsoon2b

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:36 AM

AFL -  LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!

Sydney Swans supporter through and through.  I am not a sporty type person at all and the only other sport i would even consider watching is soccer original.gif.  AFL is the absolute best spectator sport ever - can't wait to take baby #1 to their first Swans match this season  biggrin.gif

#3 SummerRain

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:38 AM

Coming from the UK I am a soccer fan!!!  Love it, Love it, Love it!!!

I support Manchester United and have done for about 30 years now!!

#4 Klinkalink

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:08 AM

Hi,

I'm a real sports nut, and will happily watch just about anything - with a couple of exceptions. I won't watch golf as my mind gets flooded with all sorts of tempting other things I could be doing, like washing the floors and ironing the curtains. I won't watch motorsports either, as I don't really class them as a sport, and I find it really tedious to sit through a game of soccer.

I think what sports you like depends on what you were brought up with, and more particularly the speed of the sport you grew up with. I think that's why most people that grew up with AFL, and to a lesser degree Rugby League, don't like soccer. In comparison, it's just painfully slow to most of us. And golf, well it doesn't even seem to move at all to me.

I really love the very fast sports - AFL and Ice Hockey. Close behind are those that are next down the line for speed, being Rugby League (although in comparison to AFL and Ice Hockey it's a bit one-dimensional - still good to watch though if there's nothing faster on), One Day cricket, etc... The exception would be basketball, which is fast but so repetitive to me that I end up washing the dishes instead.

I guess I'm just a speed freak - and a mad, one-eyed Geelong supporter!

Also a fan of the Bushrangers and the Melbourne Storm  biggrin.gif

#5 annodam

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:27 PM

AFL here.

#6 71Cath

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:33 PM

AFL all the way - GO SAINTS!!!!

#7 GoneWithTheWhinge

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:41 PM

Coming from the UK its proper football here. tongue.gif  

The little known team of Reading. URZ!

#8 Daisy Chain

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:44 PM

AFL, because I'm a Victorian and it's in my blood.

Go Doggies.

#9 voyagersaus

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:52 PM

Aussie born family so AFL.  original.gif

I do remember soccer being a much less brutal game to play as a kid though (days before Auskick here) so I can appreciate that mums of young children might prefer it - this all seems to go on what the daddies are more likely to get involved in with their kids.  biggrin.gif

#10 Bridandzar

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:58 PM

AFL all the way in this house - Go Cats.

I have been a member of the Geelong Footy Club and been going for 20 years, my DH plays footy and footy is always on the TV on the weekend.

I have recently played in an indoor soccer comp and have come around to the game but still AFL is our number one sport

#11 livesarah

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:02 PM

Football- both the A-league and (to a lesser extent) EPL.

#12 Battingeyelashes

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:09 PM

NRL here. I'm a massive Roosters supporter

We had Foxtel installed last week. I can pretty much watch rugby league in some shape or form nearly every day.

I think I've died and gone to heaven  grin.gif

#13 lisacat

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:53 PM

Rugby League all the way here. Go the Knights.

I grew up in western sydney so that is what I grew up with. I went to an AFL game as everyone said it is better live, yeah still don't like it.

#14 ~JASB~

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:10 AM

Rugby League here - Broncos and Queensland wub.gif  I watch at least 4 full games every weekend and at least parts of the other 4.  Love it original.gif

With British parents though, I grew up with soccer (but only ever called football by my parents wink.gif ).  I got my dad into rugby league too biggrin.gif but he's soccer at heart.

I did go to a game at Old Trafford when I was 16 and loved it - atmosphere was incredible, but still never really got into soccer like my parents and older brother.  However, growing up in the household I did it is routine to still keep a check on how Manchester United is doing.  But give me my league any day biggrin.gif

#15 M1B2G

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:14 PM

Soccer I follow....

I would say growing up I followed Rugby League however due to marrying a mad Adelaide Crows supporter and having lived in AFL states for the last 7 years I have watched far more AFL games then Rugby League in a very long time...

#16 Chosby

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:33 PM

Aussie Rules for me, anything from AFL to WAFL to jnr footy & Auskick.

FREO WAY TO GO!

#17 Fossy

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:39 PM

Football here all the way - AFL that is of course!!

Never could get into rugby or soccer, living down south!

#18 skylark

Posted 04 August 2010 - 12:44 PM

Rugby union in our house, my husband is a former first grade rugby player and so there's no getting away from it - luckily I like watching it too, and was raised watching rugby and no other code.

#19 Three Men And A Lady

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:53 AM

I agree.......I believe it is what you are brought up with.

My brother played Rugby League and so I would have to go along (didn't mind though as I liked some of the boys...hehe) every Saturday. I followed Parramatta Eels since I was about 8 and I used to have fun with one of my best friends who happened to live next door to me. She was 8 at the time too and she was a Bulldogs supporter and so you can imagine the 2 of us back in the mid 80's.....those were the days. Changed teams back in 1991 I think it was or whenever Balmain Tigers became West Tigers and moved out to Campbelltown ( had to follow the home team). Loved the Tigers ever since and I am still a mad, keen supporter.

Now I hated soccer and thought it was the most boring game to watch, until I met my husband and had 2 boys. Both my boys play soccer, they even did 3 years in rugby league but went back to soccer this year and I have to say that I love soccer now and even enjoy watching it. It certainly has much more skill than any of the other sports. If you can play soccer you can pretty much play any sport really. My eldest boy is very good at soccer and his dreams are to make it overseas.

As for AFL, tried to watch it but can't. I hate the way the guys have to bump each other all the time and the ball isn't anywhere near them or coming at them. Yes I know, soccer they do the dramatics and dive (believe me it does sh*t me), rugby league is really just a bit of thiggery when it comes down to it. Union, watch the tests but nothing more than that.

SPORT IS GREAT THOUGH!

#20 *littlemiracles*

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:23 PM

Rugby league all the way here - just grew up with it I suppose but became slightly obsessed with it when we finally got a team here!
My poor Dad from England is a mad "football" fan and wishes we were too but I find it extremely boring to watch. rolleyes.gif
AFL - can't understand the rules (nor want to) so def a no go there.
Union - i can sit through with DH as he loves it but find the rules so strange compared to NRL.

We only have austar on here so I can watch all my NRL games each weekend - bring on season 2011

#21 ~BoysRus~

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:28 PM

We only have austar on here so I can watch all my NRL games each weekend - bring on season 2011

same here

LOVE NRL

Edited by boysgalore, 17 January 2011 - 08:28 PM.

#22 sarahdee

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

Rugby Union in our house but my husband doesn't mind watching rugby league either

#23 Rilee's~Mama

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

huge NRL fan here  biggrin.gif

Don't have Fox, so only get to watch 3 games a weekend (I'm sure DP thinks that's more than enough!!), but would love to watch more (just can't justify the extra $$).

I'm in 3 tipping comps each season, so have a 'vested' interest in it!!

Bring on the start of the season  tongue.gif

On a side note .... anyone remember the Footy Guide book that used to be in one of the Sunday papers (Sydney ones)? It was a guide on the 4 codes, listing each team, all the players, the line ups for the year, etc. They didn't release one last year, but did for years before that. I WANT IT BACK!!

#24 TotesFeral

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:03 PM

AFL family here.

I was not really into anything before I met DP but his whole family watches AFL(and DP plays AFL) so I actually quite like it now.
It's Bombers all the way or your disowned tongue.gif

Taking DD to her first game this season!

#25 lindsey79

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:08 PM

Barclays Premier League. huge Arsenal F.C fan! biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.