looking for new friends and support - unvaccinated kids
Vaccination

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 Josunshine

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:54 PM

Hi Everyone,

My name is Jo and i'd really love to hear from any other mums out there who have decided to not vaccinate or to cease vaccinating their children.

My son was vaccinated with Hep B (although intuition had me questioning it) and was given the Vitamin K injection at birth. He suffered from mild seizures for months afterwards, worrying me to tears and unexplained by the doctors. After researching extensively into the vaccinations i decided to refrain from vaccinating him further.

My son is now a very advanced and healthy little 13 month old who apart from the seizures early on has only come down with the sniffles once and recovered from chicken pox in approx. 3 days.
He was saying 'Mum' by 6 months old and could say 3 more words by 9 months old. He started walking on his own at 11 months and has learnt so quickly after then that its difficult to keep up with him.
All my friends with vaccinated children are always complaining about their child's illnesses.
Chronic asthma, food allergies to name a few and almost all of their kids are on medication constantly.
I have difficulty relating to this as my son is always healthy.

Please don't reply with hate mail and nastiness. I am not a neglectful mother- I am a very well educated 31 year old woman who has researched more than you could believe on both sides of this argument and I'm confident my decision is in the best interest of my son.

I am not anti-vaccine, i just do not believe that the vaccination schedule for our precious little babies is necessarily the safest option for every child.

I realise that there must be others out there like me although i've yet to meet any in person.
If you are in any way similiar minded it would be great to hear from you and share stories.

Thanks

Jo

Perth WA

#2 SemiRuralGirl

Posted 15 April 2010 - 02:47 PM

You're not the only one! The non vax kids discussion (where I've seen you've written) is a good place to chat to people who don't vax.  Also, if you want you can read through the previous threads and hear stories etc.

Don't stress about anyone telling you you're neglectful, it's more about their ignorance than yours.

All the best. biggrin.gif

#3 Feral-Lausii

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

Oh  I hear you. I am sick of explaining to DD5 months father why I am not vaccinating. Over and Over. Am going to print something out to shut him up. Welcome to Eb!

#4 -river-

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:18 PM

waves.gif

My DS also suffered unexplained seizures and it started a day or so after his 2 month needles. I decided to delay and he is now 20 months old and seizure free.

I haven't decided if I should stop vaccinating or continue the delayed schedule DS is due for 12 month needles in 3 months.

DD had a blood test for MMR immunity and is not immune to mumps so for now i'm delaying her also.

I have had good support for delaying DS from my CHN and the head of vaccinations at my local council.

#5 raven74

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:06 PM

Hi Jo - I'm a Perthie as well as a non vaccinator.  
We have a whole slew of reasons why we will not vaccinate - always up for a discussion biggrin.gif
Do you encounter much discrimination with regards to having a non vaccinated child?

#6 Josunshine

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:42 PM

Hi everyone and thanks for the welcome!

Its really great to know there are other mums out there in the same boat.

As for encountering discrimination about not vaccinating I've been given so much grief by family and friends its crazy.

At least they have backed off me now that i've made sure they listened to what i have to say about the subject.

My mother in law is probably the worst. She believes that needles fix everything. She's coming to visit us in a few days so she's gone and had the swine flu and normal flu injections and made everyone else in her family do the same. Of course they are all sick now as a result and she doesn't realise she's more likely to make my little boy ill from those same vaccinations she was having in order to keep him from getting him sick.

I'm a little bit lucky in the fact that i've only moved to Perth a couple of months ago so none of my new friends know me well enough to realise my son is not vaccinated. Unless they ask my opinion I have learnt not to mention it now and risk ostracizing myself from all social contact.

It worries me so much though when my little sister refuses to listen to anything i have to say about vaccinations. Instead of learning at all about anything injected into her 8 month old little girl, she says that she doesn't want to know. AT ALL!  How could she not care?

I'm not trying to change her mind, i honestly just want her to be aware of any potential side effects afterwards. If my boy was ever vaccinated again, i would watch him like a hawk for at least 2 weeks later.

its now 4 days after my sisters baby's shots and suprise, suprise she's very sick and has been for 3 days.
My sister writes it off as unrelated to the shots and probably another infection she's picked up. I just tell her to keep an eye on her but she laughs me off as crazy.

anyways thats my rant.

#7 upup

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:33 PM

I'm a little bit lucky in the fact that i've only moved to Perth a couple of months ago so none of my new friends know me well enough to realise my son is not vaccinated. Unless they ask my opinion I have

It is sad isn't it. I was a little put out when they asked me in front of all of the mothers at play group why I hadn't written down what vaccines my DD had received. Why is all other medical information private but vaccine status is free for all to know?

I lost a very old friend over the issue - she didn't want me near her child as her midwife had told her to keep her baby away from unvaccinated kids. She wouln't listen to anything I had to say. I couldn't speak with her anymore after she complained that her baby just stared at the ceiling for the past two days. (the two days after his 6 week needles)

It's terrible that so much propaganda is given to parents and very little real information. I don't care if people chose either side but at least do a little research! The problem I see is both sides of the argument is funded by that side so good unbiased research and reports pretty much don't exist.

Someone said to me once think about it is the eyes of pharmacuetical companies, you own a product that every person in the developed country will pretty much use in multiple doses, by giving this product to children ensures an increased profit in other drugs, ie for asthma, excema and pain relief you would do anything you could to protect that market. And that is what they do - they protect a huge huge huge money maker at the expense of those few who choose to research and find out more.

#8 Josunshine

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:58 PM

I know!

I've had a fair bit of experience with pharmaceuticals companies myself and I know first hand that the testing for all products is carried out by the companies own people and if a study suggests negative results then it is simply not published. It is always about the money in the end and from the top down to the lowest employee their job is promote their product and to prove that is safe and necessary for everyone.

Another thing that deeply offends me that 'If vaccinations are in the best interest of every child, why are the doctors given financial incentives to vaccinate?'

I found it absurd that If a GPs Child vaccinate rate reports less than 90% of patients then the practise have to explain themselves in writing to medicare and are no longer eligible for the additional funds. They must also pay back the money owing.

heres the link if anyone is interested

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/provid.../gpii/index.jsp

have a read and see what you think

#9 Josunshine

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:00 PM

Thats really sad about losing your friend Ella.
I feel terrible for you and your friend really has no idea how valuable a resource you could have been to her.

#10 upup

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:46 AM

Thats really sad about losing your friend Ella.
I feel terrible for you and your friend really has no idea how valuable a resource you could have been to her.

I know I felt so sick the day she was taking her DS for his vaccines I know how much can go wrong. I know in most cases they don't but I know long term it is no good for their health.

I decided on not vaccinating after endless and ongoing research and I get so sad when thise who have done no research at all start throwing propoganda crap at me. There are some moments when I think it would just be easier to vaccinate but then I think no way would I put my child's life in danger and her ongoing health. I know I made the best decision for my child.

If I lived in a developing country without access to good health care and quality food I may consider vaccinating but in Australia the risks of vaccinating are higher than the effects of catching that disease due to nutrition and access to health care.

Sometimes I wonder if the truth will come out in 20years just like the truth about smoking - surely the pharmacuetical companies can't keep it quiet forever! I hate that the advertising for vaccines is not backed up and it is misleading and I am sure if any other company advertised like this it would be fined for it but it seems that pharma is ion bed with everyone so gets away with it.

Have you read the book - selling sickness?

#11 Obesa cantavit

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:56 AM

Let me start by saying I do vaccinate, selectively and an a delayed schedule. I think it is up to the individual to research and make an informed decision. However, time and time again, on both sides of the argument here on EB and IRL, I see untruths or stretching of the truth which infuriates me.

Of course they are all sick now as a result and she doesn't realise she's more likely to make my little boy ill from those same vaccinations she was having in order to keep him from getting him sick.

There is no of course. and, IF they are sick as a result of the vax, it is not a live vaccine, so your son is at no risk whatso ever because of their vaccination.

#12 Josunshine

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:31 PM

Thanks for that Obesa, you are totally right about that and a dead virus vaccine cannot pass on an illness.

I guess i was so caught up in my rant I guess i really didn't think rationally about what i was saying.

#13 pregnantladybird

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:15 PM

Hi jo

another one who completely agrees with you

I didnt want Vit K but after an emergency c/s i think they just went and did it (a bit hazy on that one..)

she had first round of shots but after that i was trying to get them all separately, tried for a week (dr gave me a script) but they didnt do them in Oz

So I just didnt do any more

Have seen a homeopath to do it that way but mostly it is ore a wait and see and treat as and when

she is 25 months and other than eczema early on she is pretty healthy

not yet at daycare so i dont know if that will make a difference whenever she starts that..

#14 pregnantladybird

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:17 PM

i forgot -

i was really anti the idea of them 'testing' the flu vax at day care and schools - seeing the news over the past couple of days proves that i wasn't just a mad and over anxious mum. I was even upset DH had the shot - because it was free at work...

#15 Josunshine

Posted 25 April 2010 - 05:49 PM

Thanks Ladybird,
its nice to not feel so isolated with my decision.

I'm so frustrated with them using our kids as guinea pigs as well and it upsets me that even after the harm the flu vaccine has done to so many little kids people still consider me to be crazy for not vaccinating my own child.

I read in the paper that the parents of the children injured from the flu shots are upset because they weren't informed that it hadn't been tested properly. Of course they are but what the papers don't say is that none of the vaccines we give our children are tested properly.

Triple antigens, multiple doses and the complete schedule of vaccines aren't tested on anything but our kids and this really, really upsets me.

#16 upup

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:36 AM

You know what, this whole flu vax thing has given me more courage to speak out against vaccines. I have talked to two expecting mum and I know at least one of them is not going to vaccinate at birth but I think they may still vaccinate later.

I feel like such a loony speaking out but at the least the flu vax scare gives some credibility to my craziness!

#17 sillarn

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:04 PM

[quote name='Josunshine' date='16/04/2010, 03:42 PM' post='11287744']
Hi everyone and thanks for the welcome!

Its really great to know there are other mums out there in the same boat.

As for encountering discrimination about not vaccinating I've been given so much grief by family and friends its crazy.

Hi Jo
I really had no idea that other mum's who decided to not vaccinate were given such a hard time. My kids haven't had any. I had one negative comment (when my DD was in her first weeks, she is now 4) from my MIL. I was in tears over that. But that was it. No overtly negative comments from any other family, friends, GP, childcare or kinder. It's not like I bring up the subject though. Up til now, I've just accepted that most of my friends aren't interested in questioning the program. I've had only one friend ask more, and I lent her the papers of clinical trials I gathered.
These days my daughter is at a steiner kinder and last week they had an anthroposophical health consultant talk about "managing children's illnesses with confidence and care". She was clearly anti-vaccine. And was in the "better to get the illness" school of thought. Quite new for me! So obviously no pressure to vaccinate coming from there/the kinder.
I also have to admit to agreeing with what you said about the pharmaceutical industry. If a negative result comes up, there seems immense pressure to downplay it so that it doesn't get into more mainstream channels. Not many GP's or other people for that matter, have the time to read the original full text from clinical trials, but if you do, it is staggering when you read a negative result suddenly presented in the most positive light or not at all, in the Abstract - which is all 99% of people are going to read.
You are brave to bring up the issue! biggrin.gif

#18 Chrisgem

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:17 PM

Hello

Last post was in 2010 but just wondering if anyone still here?

#19 DaLittleEd

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:30 PM

Lol. This thread is a crazy timewarp. I feel like I am in some kind of alternate reality.

#20 EsmeLennox

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:30 PM

^ :clap:

#21 born.a.girl

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:33 PM

View PostDaLittleEd, on 27 March 2017 - 01:30 PM, said:

Lol. This thread is a crazy timewarp. I feel like I am in some kind of alternate reality.

Yes, I thought this was terribly apt comment:

I guess i was so caught up in my rant I guess i really didn't think rationally about what i was saying.

#22 FeralAlpacaWarrior

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:34 PM

I thought this was a current thread, and thinking what are these people thinking?! The mind boggles, I'm so GLAD we are all vacced, especially after Dad had whooping cough, and his was a mild case due to being vacced! Have to agree with you DulcedeBatata.

Edited by FeralAlpacaWarrior, 27 March 2017 - 01:35 PM.

#23 ~river song~

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:37 PM

No chrisgem none is here. Because vaccines save lives. So make an appointment with your GP and get your kids and yourself vaccinated

#24 purplekitty

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:39 PM

The Good Old Days on EB when every misinformed opinion on vaccination was valid.

#25 c.sanders

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:45 PM

That really was a messed up read!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.