Extraordinary Breastfeeding Documentary

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Riley's_Mum87

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:24 PM

For all those foxtelians out there.... has anyone seen the advertisement for the extraordinary breastfeeding doco that is being aired on Monday on Lifestyle you?? OMG I have pushed the recordies button on my IQ ofr that one... some of the kids asking their mums for breast milk look like they are twelve years old... I am in serious shock ohmy.gif !!

Is anyone else going to be tuning into this one??

Cant wait to discuss further next week my lovelies

Lauren

#2 Broxie

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:29 PM

I was fascinated and horrified when i saw the ad for it and will be tuning in! looking forward to discussing it with you!

#3 tan

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:36 PM

I've pressed the record button too....

bbaby.gif

#4 Dionysus

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:42 PM

I have seen a doco on one of the women (I think) before.  I have also IQ'd it, and will be quite interested in watching it.  I hope that extended b/feeding isn't the only thing they focus on though.  I am sure there are many other extraordinary b/feeding stories out there.

#5 Guest_~ZT~_*

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:03 PM

Yep i have IQ'd it too  biggrin.gif

#6 terri_Mc

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:44 PM

I have also IQ'd it as well... well this is shock month according the the channel original.gif

#7 Riley's_Mum87

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:38 AM

Ok so I just finished watching this doco... was a little weird I must say. I do not understand the women who wants to breastfeed her adoptive daughter?? It doesnt make sense??

Now I chose not to breastfeed and it ended being the best option as I wouldnt have had enough milk to feed my bubs but even if I did I would have probably weaned my DS off by the age of one maybe just after... there is no way I would have my eight year old still feeding off of me.

The women with the twins seemed to be (shall I dare say) "flopping" it out all day every day.I just didnt understand why she was breastfeeding them when we saw the twins drinking out of cups and eating solids?

What did you all think??

Lauren

#8 cward

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:52 AM

OMG is all I can say.

I was actually quite sad for the little Chinese girl the woman was trying to breastfeed.  For goodness sake she has been in an orphanage since she was 3 days old, she now has a new family and you are trying to shove your breast in her mouth.

And the 8 year old breast feeding.  I thought it was terrible.

I also felt sorry for the older kids of the woman with the twins.  She was so focussed on popping her boob out every 5 minutes and they were getting no time at all.  There was even a couple of times that her and the husband spoke about the family and the older two didn't even get a mention.

I don't think the show would have done a lot to encourage breastfeeding in England although from the comments on the people at the shopping centre they have a lot of work to do to increase awareness.

#9 Kristl

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:58 AM

Yes I watched this last night!  I know its great to breast feed a BABY as long as you can but I think 8 years old is a bit much!  I would hate to think of the teasing those 2 sisters copped at school after that show went to air in the UK!

#10 goldimouse

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:58 AM

I don't have foxtel but was interested in watching this, not sure if I can watch it anywhere online?

As I said I haven't seen it, but -

I do not understand the women who wants to breastfeed her adoptive daughter?? It doesnt make sense??
Because human breastmilk is the optimum food for human babies. I'd be tempted to give it a go as well. I really applaud people who do this.

even if I did I would have probably weaned my DS off by the age of one maybe just after... there is no way I would have my eight year old still feeding off of me.
I'm sure someone can link to the source because I am not sure, but isn't the average age for weaning across the world 4 years? Since many women do not breastfeed for long, I would imagine that there would be plenty of 8 year-old people breastfeeding in the world to get that average. I think a large part of this is cultural - we're not used to seeing extended breastfeeding but it is perfectly normal and, in some countries, ordinary. Check out Mongolia's attitude to breastfeeding - better not leave your expressed milk in the work fridge there! laughing2.gif

I just didnt understand why she was breastfeeding them when we saw the twins drinking out of cups and eating solids?
It's easier - portable, and pre-warmed original.gif Also, the babies are clearly enjoying it if they're still doing it. Just because a baby is on solids or drinking out of cups doesn't mean that they automatically get nothing out of breastmilk. It is still the same stuff - and it's incredibly good for them. I also take my hat off to anyone who breastfeeds twins! Wow!

I googled "when do mammals wean" and found THIS on the La Leche League website. Interesting read!

#11 Orangedrops

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:03 PM

How weird to feel sorry for an adopted child whose mother wants to give her the incredible gift of breastfeeding. What a lucky little girl to have a parent who cares so much for her health which is probably very compromised from her early months already. What incredible benefits she will have for her future health from whatever breast feeding she can have and what a great way to bond with an adopted child.

#12 ~Meand3~

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:20 PM

I watched it and the only think that really made me cringe was the 8 year old lying across the couch for milk.
I felt sorry for the lady with twins, she was so torn with wanting the best for her twins and also wanting to spend time with the rest of her family. Good on her though for actually feeding them herself alot of people who have twins go straight to bottles just because there are 2.

#13 Bella86

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:22 PM

Agreed that this show was a little strange...

I am all for BF but I also believe there should be a cut off age.. Now 8 years old?? What 8 yo draws boobs on all there pictures they draw???  And I also believe she will be very teased now this is all out.

As far as the lady with the adopted girl.. I'm also not sure why she would be trying to force the breast... Maybe express and give it to her in a bottle something she would be used to???

#14 Orangedrops

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:25 PM

Bella86 - she wasn't forcing the breast, she offered the breast and gave the baby expressed milk from a spoon when she wasn't interested. She was going to keep trying though. Most likely because she appreciated the incredibly bond that breasfeeding creates between mother and child and thought it would help with the difficulties of bonding with an adopted child from an orphanage. It was really beautiful!

#15 Erma Gerd

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE (Riley's_Mum87 @ 20/04/2010, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok so I just finished watching this doco... was a little weird I must say. I do not understand the women who wants to breastfeed her adoptive daughter?? It doesnt make sense??

Not just best nutrition but really beautiful bonding experience.

The women with the twins seemed to be (shall I dare say) "flopping" it out all day every day.I just didnt understand why she was breastfeeding them when we saw the twins drinking out of cups and eating solids?

I don't know how old the twins were, but again, additional nutrition, antibodies etc, and comfort. A normal, natural mother-child experience. And yes, I expect that with twins you would be feeding frequently- I'm "flopping it out all day" with a 3yo and 3mo. But OMG, they're breasts, that's what they're for!

I didn't see the program, but I'm sad that it didn't explain this sort of thing. It could have been a fantastic opportunity to re-educate the viewing public on the roles of breastfeeding in normal childrearing- but it sounds like they went with the peepshow angle. Pity.

Now I chose not to breastfeed and it ended being the best option as I wouldnt have had enough milk to feed my bubs but even if I did I would have probably weaned my DS off by the age of one maybe just after...

I'm thinking that this illustrates what a lost opportunity this was.

Edited by mjk05, 20 April 2010 - 01:15 PM.

#16 cward

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:00 PM

How weird to feel sorry for an adopted child whose mother wants to give her the incredible gift of breastfeeding. What a lucky little girl to have a parent who cares so much for her health which is probably very compromised from her early months already. What incredible benefits she will have for her future health from whatever breast feeding she can have and what a great way to bond with an adopted child
  the reason I felt sorry for the child is the first time she tried the baby was obviously upset (crying) and not at all interested.  She tried again with similar results and then tried again with a breast shield, again the child was not interested.  If she was keen to give the baby the benefits of breast milk why not express and put it into the nipple bottle she bought for the formula.  The child has just been put into a totally new environment and the mother was trying to entice her to do something that was totally alien to her.

I have no problem with her giving her the breast milk I have a problem with the way she was doing it.

#17 one~of~me

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:13 PM

I too watched the show i thought it was really nice that the mother wanted to breastfeed her adopted daughter and i dont think she forced her at all she offered it a few time's and of course the little girl cried she was probably hungry that would be why she offered the breast you wouldn't offer it when she wasnt would you?
I think it was a great idea to help in the bonding process and i really hope she was able to bf her.

The woman with the twins  i found that really sad, at there age i dont think they needed to breastfeed that often and perhaps if she gradually weaned them the process wouldnt have been so hard and perhaps she could have done it a little longer.

As for the woman with the 8 yr old imho 8 is too old to be feeding and i really felt sorry for the older daughter that she was always left out during there feeding times and also found it strange that the husband had fed from her and that the grandmother's boob was used as a comforter after the baby was born i think that defeated the whole bonding purpose between mother and daughter.

#18 chaosprincess

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:25 PM

Bitty!!!

I actually got emotional in some bits thinking how beautiful it was. Other bits I thought, oh I couldn't do that and felt a little icky. But all in all I think the message that breastfeeding is natural and trying to get rid of this stigma that feeding babies once they have teeth or are a older is "gross" is good.

If you take away these misconceptions of western culture and look at it from the view a mother is feeding her child and providing comfort, what the heck is wrong with that?

#19 WeeBoab

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:41 PM

I don't know how old the twins were, but again, additional nutrition, antibodies etc, and comfort. A normal, natural mother-child experience. And yes, I expect that with twins you would be feeding frequently- I'm "flopping it out all day" with a 3yo and 3mo. But OMG, they're breasts, that's what they're for!

I didn't see the program, but I'm sad that it didn't explain this sort of thing. It could have been a fantastic opportunity to re-educate the viewing public on the roles of breastfeeding in normal childrearing- but it sounds like they went with the peepshow angle. Pity.

The twins were only about 27mths... The poor mother was obviously exhausted and run down from the constant demands of four kids but I was a bit sad that she went from giving them unlimited access day/night to complete cold turkey. The parents had obviously decided that was the only way to go, and I guess I could see she might have had trouble reducing feeds only to give extra in times of stress and of course completely their choice. But hearing that poor boy cry for milk just about broke my heart.

I thought the program was overall pretty good... especially as it was from the UK and they obviously have a much lower public awareness of breastfeeding than us, and especially extended bf (thank you decades of ABA lobbying!!! wub.gif ).

I thought that young woman working for "little angels" was so fantastic... they organised a public bf to protest the police(!!!) asking a woman to stop feeding in public. They mustn't have any anti-discrimination for bf in public in the UK which I find shocking as I'm pretty sure they have much stronger anti-racism legislation than us. And the comments from the public were disgusting! Especially that ned (aussie trans. bogan) in burberry clothing talking how they were encouraging paedophiles!!! WTF???

#20 -StandingTall-

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:42 PM

I I watched it and found some of it borderline creepy..

Especially the mother of the 8yr old stating sometimes her husband sucks out the milk when they are too full.

#21 Lilianfels

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:43 PM

Damn, I missed it, anyone know if its repeated?

#22 WeeBoab

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (::.Lisa.T.:: @ 20/04/2010, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Especially the mother of the 8yr old stating sometimes her husband sucks out the milk when they are too full.

Whatever floats your boat I guess... but I found her comment that it's common in bf families a bit offensive - my first thought, not in our family! But then I thought, since I very rarely would discuss the sexual fetishes of my friends, maybe it is common?.... who cares in the privacy of your own home.

Although, making the comment on international television is bit counter the trend of trying to normalise breastfeeding and separate it from society's hang-ups about sexuality.

#23 WeeBoab

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (Kanjv @ 20/04/2010, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Damn, I missed it, anyone know if its repeated?

Being on Foxtel's Lifestyle You channel, it'll probably be repeated about 15 times before the end of the month biggrin.gif

#24 Hodor55

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:14 PM

If you all watched it, didn't you get that the oldest child being BF was 7?  And she weaned herself before she was 8.

I think shows like this like to try and 'shock' viewers, rather than 'educate', purely for ratings, but I still think it was an interesting show.

At least some people get to see outside of their own lives and what they consider to be 'normal'.  
Breast feeding rates in the UK are very bad, worse than Australia I believe, and there are generally more hang ups about bodies.  So I'm not surprised there was a kerfuffle about it when it originally aired!

#25 First and excited

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:22 PM

I thought that it was very sad that the UK doesn't seem to be as open about breastfeeding as Australia seems to be.

Although it seemed to want to educate people on breastfeeding, by presenting some extreme cases (i.e. breastfeeding a 7 year old), it really did seem to want to shock viewers rather than put the message across that breastfeeding is good for children. Even the mum of the 7 year old had some good points but it was all lost in the shock value.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.