Which is harder - parenting or 'working'?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 **Xena**

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:26 PM

I think both can be hard and both have their benefits.

Easy, to me, would be being given millions of dollars to laze around reading books and drinking cocktails original.gif

#27 Obesa cantavit

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:15 AM

Paid work is 100 times easier than stay-at-home parenting!

I mean for starters you have an education and years of on-the-job training and experience. It's got more or less set daily hours and a job specification. People to tell you what to do and how to it. Everyone following rules and doing more or less what is expected of them. You get weekends off. A lunchbreak.

Ah thats all well and good if your job is like that, not all professions are. My job is a lot like parenting, I can be rostered on anytime 24/7, 52 weeks a year. I can be called apon (when I am on-call) in the middle of the night and have to drop everything to cater for the needs of another individual who is counting on me for their wellbeing. I also have to deal with bodily fluids all day.

Sound familiar? wink.gif

Edited by Obesa cantavit, 12 May 2010 - 11:16 AM.

#28 deckieandizzy

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:00 PM

I work part-time three days a week and for me i find being at home much harder than being at work. I am alot more free to do basic things at work like to go off to the toilet when i need to or eat lunch.

Though i would rather be home with my little boy as i love spending time with him!

I guess it would really depend on the type of work you do.

#29 mum850

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:49 PM

And how many kids you have. One kid? Or kids at school? Easy.  I have three including an extremely energetic  toddler. I have done SAHM, part time, and full time. My job is extremely demanding, for example I never have a lunchbreak, the phone rings off the hook, i am responsible for a whole lot of people, yadda yadda.
The good thing though is now I get paid well so working is certainly economically worthwhile.
Full time was a nightmare. I had a newborn, PND and was expressing too  rolleyes.gif  - what an idiot!! Didnt' feel like I had a choice at the time.
Part time is definitely the best for me but it;s still really hard coming home after an exhausting day to all the housework you didn't do in the day cos you weren't there.
I outsource a bit (cleaner once  a week, delivery groceries sometimes, lunch orders etc)

So,,,, it's easier to be just at home, but I find it quite dull sometimes TBH; I get cross. Full time is just too hard; part time is as good as it gets. They are hard in different ways. Luckily I look forward to my days at work after the weekend and my days at home after my days at work@!

#30 justcallmemum

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:42 AM

I have done both. Each has its own difficulties

yyes.gif

I have been a  part time and fulltime working mum, Work from home mum and now a stay at home mum.
They all have their ups and downs. It also depends on the job or the stay at home routine you have set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.