September 05 Parents # 394

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
124 replies to this topic

#51 Titania

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:24 PM

OMG! I would be livid Kay - I seriously recommend you write a letter of complaint and use the word "Ombudsman" in there (I'm sure you know all about that stuff anyway lol) - it's just simply not freakin' good enough. FLIP!

Geez I love 'our' GP - Well to be fair, I don't actually 'like' him very much, and I am fairly certain he doesn't, me. But that's ok - he's damn fine with the kids. Took me a while to come round to him - but I just can't trust anyone else these days. He's so thorough - he gave L such a complete check over today - put him straight back on steroids. The other Dr that L saw last night - saw that we were there and looked confused - but then, less than two years ago he sent him home with pneumonia and severe asthma - when he should have been immediately hospitalised (and 30 mins later, was), so it's not like I need to give an explanation. L is finally getting better - still prone to secondary infection, but I have a standby script. G ok in himself - not eating a thing. He can afford to lose 2kg though - whereas L now looks emaciated. sad.gif

Oh you too Karina? Man it's a sh*t time of year - get better soon. Big squishy hugs for you my friend.

#52 Titania

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:27 PM

Oh yeah Kay - you're right - it's the airfares that are cheap to Fiji, but looking at accom prices - pretty darned steep. Given we can get a two bedroom at the Sea Temple PC for $250 a night - I think we will do that (if we can't get in to our other place up there in our time frame- which seems to be the case)...

#53 Kay1

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:02 PM

Argh I am so over Leo screaming and refusing to eat!!!! rant.gif

#54 Titania

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:48 PM

I hear you sister.

#55 Kay1

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:17 PM

rant.gif

#56 Starbuck

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:26 PM

What's up Kay, you alright??

Bugger about all the sick people!! I hope you/the kids are all starting to feel better.

#57 Titania

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:43 PM

Thanks Kirsten. Exceedingly hard going here. L's thighs are as skinny as my forearm (I'm not exaggerating) - he's SO tall and at 16 kilos - well... my god he looks like a whisp that could snap in half. Thank goodness he is starting to eat again - on day 9 of this horrible illness. Though that could merely be the result of his third day on steroids (pred). His flix his upped, he's on ventolin, and we will be starting him on the nebs tomorrow if he goes on like this. In the mean-time- G doesn't have the high temperatures, but has barely eaten a thing since Tuesday, is randomly vomiting - and my baby is losing all his delicious puppy fat face and chubby bum sad.gif

So... meh. sad.gif

Edited by Titania, 15 May 2010 - 10:44 PM.

#58 ~~Lynny~~

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:19 AM

Big hugs to those who need it - hope all the sick kiddies get better soon sad.gif

speaking of sick.. my nose/sinusses are still playing up - for well over 40 weeks now! rant.gif  I've been on 6 lots of class A AB's for it and everytime I get towards the end of a pack it looks like its starting to work but then it either doesnt or I run out of pills and can't get anymore off the doctors.. glare.gif

I hate taking stuff while I'm pregnant but I'd hate to pass something nasty on to the bubs as well unsure.gif  Hoping to get a strong dose of something or other to get rid of this infection once and for all once he's here - just hope it doesnt interfere with the whole breastfeeding thing..

Nothing new to report otherwise..  34 weeks and another check up tomorrow as well as an Anti-D shot - wish me luck, the last one almost had me in tears ninja.gif hoping to get a c/s date while I'm there.  tthumbs.gif  I'll then be able to organise babysitters etc a bit better..

Anywho better go and get brekky sorted - I'm thinking banana pancakes Tounge1.gif

#59 Kay1

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:50 PM

Yeah Kirsten, I'm ok. Just having a whinge about Leo. The eating thing is just a joke. He will suck butter off bread and possibly put a spoon of yoghurt in his mouth. He eats every third bite of banana and spits the other spreading chewed up banana everywhere....gah, just over it. I am hoping its thanks to this last tooth coming through and once its out we can have a break in all the screaming.

#60 ~~Lynny~~

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:59 PM

Painful isnt it Kay sad.gif  Maybe just leave the solids for a while and make sure he gets enough milk in?  When Emily's teeth are bother her she can be really fussy like that - to the point where I dont bother giving her any solids for a couple of days, just milk.  Hope your little man shows an interest in food again soon!

Proud mummy moment:- Emily has been using the potty for 2 days straight, even empties it herself and has done a number two in it as well tthumbs.gif no accidents during the day - provided she's not stuck in the car for too long or has a nap with no nappy but otherwise she has been a real breeze to TT original.gif   On friday I asked her teacher at CC how she's been going because at home she's had nothing but accidents and nothing in the potty.  Teacher said to persevere because she's doing very well compared to other kids - can hold it in for a while etc and we're only on week 3 of TT'ing.  Damian was a nightmare to TT and didnt really click till well after his 3rd b/day so it's nice to have it easy for a change Tounge1.gif

#61 Kay1

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:19 PM

Yay, go Em!!!!

#62 Kay1

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:27 PM

Any suggestions for what to do with a child who WILL NOT stop screaming but doesn't actually have anything wrong with him? Apart from possibly teething but has had nurofen???????

rant.gif cry1.gif rant.gif cry1.gif God help me!! Seriously, please, god, help me!!!

So far I have tried....feeding him, giving him a drink, taking him to the park, ignoring him, holding him (have done that for ages), locking him in the bathroom (he can open the door bugger), locking him in the dining room, strapping him in the highchair.....pouring a VERY large glass of wine.....any other suggestions?

Nate has been a total snot today too and I am just OVER IT!!! cry1.gif

RIght, time to drink this wine.

#63 ~~Lynny~~

Posted 17 May 2010 - 05:59 PM

Kay - what a nightmare! sad.gif  Only advise I can give is to chug that wine and pour yourself another asap.  Is there anything at all that might keep him quiet for 5 mins..  even if it means playing with old mobile phones, bowl of icecream, etc..?  Sorry not much help - just sending you tonnes of hugs!

I gotta run - Em is coming down with something.. Bad fever, snotty, etc.. She's been sleeping in the lounge with a blanket for most of the day - not eating, just having panadol and a bit of milk sad.gif

On the upside.. I got given an eviction date for bubs! 18 June! :shock: Is it too late to start freaking out - I hate hospitals!  ninja.gif

#64 butterflies

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:08 PM

Kay ear plugs?? 5 days of daycare?? is he normally like this? I know you said he has ear infections is he on anti b's maybe a let the doc have a look at him again??  temp still?

I will swap you with one 4 year old who had a two hour tantrum this morning because her winter pants for preschool were ugly and she's going to look too ugly for everyone etc.

yay lynny can't wait to meet him!!

#65 Kay1

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:27 PM

Ah god what a day. I don't think its his ears any more, he's been on anti b's for 5 days and no fevers in that time. I think he's just a little sh*t (joking....sorta) although possibly could be his tooth. He has all of them except one eye tooth and it just won't bloody well come out.

Tonight I had to shut him in the dining room so I could drain the pasta etc safely and he was so exhausted after that that he let me strap him in the highchair, after that he kept crying but eventually he gave up, looked at his dinner and then ate it. After that he was fine. The silly little bugger was starving but was so busy crying he wouldn't eat! Meanwhile I have been getting so much attitude from Nate its not even funny. I hauled him out of bed this evening after I realised he had not put the bath toys away after promising me he had. He also did nothing but whinge and cry all day.....that kid is too damn spoiled.

Thank god they are both at preschool tomorrow.

I feel a migraine coming on. Just have to submit my final photography assignment then I'm hitting the hay.

Edited by Kay1, 17 May 2010 - 09:31 PM.

#66 Titania

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:49 PM

Gaaaah! Me too. Hope DH is better tomorrow, cos today was not fun. And I'm hoping we don't have to take G to hosp tonight - wheezing coughing badly, ad lots of vent, double flix, and pred... fingers crossed. I hate that I have been forced to become an old hat at dealing with chronic asthma... but what do you do eh?

At least I don't have to stay up til 12.30am tonight to be interviewed by an Armenian who wants you to Ghostwrite his manuscript into the next Dan Brown offering - expecting me to suffer spooky experiences and all (to which I said 'bring it on, I could do with some excitement') laugh.gif  It's ok - it's pretty good actually. lol

Too tired, three hours sleep last night. Yay, G seems to have stopped coughing. Noight.

#67 ~LisaJ~

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:33 AM

Hi ladies, remember me??  cool.gif

I am a terrible slack poster and I apologise. Life has just been so busy and work even busier that I forget to check on here! I still keep up with you giys on FB so doesn't feel like I don't 'talk' to you original.gif

Quick update before I head to bed:

Alannah has just turned 3, we had her party on Sunday (photos on FB if you are interested) and it was great. She is such a little princess and sharp as a tack. A real little "Why" girl. Ryan never really did that so I am completely unprepared! Getting used to it though. My standard response is "Why do YOU think"!

Ryan is at kindy and loves it. Has himself a little clique! The 4 boys are inseparable, its very cute. He loves to write random letters, can't write any words other than his name though. He loves to spell his name to anyone who will listen too!  

I am really enjoying the age the kids are at now. So much more independant and with Alannah only wearing a nappy at night I can almost see the end of toilet training. That has got to be the WORST job ever. I honestly never thought I would clean up so much poop or wee, or even that I would instinctively catch a Number 2 in my hand! Wish I could successfully fight THAT instinct!!

I am still working at the bank 2 days a week, but have decided to go back to uni next year to do my Dip Ed. I am tired of Banking and its goign to be so long before I can get back into the area that I am trained for (I don't want to work 7am-7pm while the kids are young). I am really enjoying teaching the scrapbooking and card classes I am doing so I think I will like teaching too. It will be hard work though juggling study and the kids but Alannah will be at kindy 2 days a week and Ryan will be at preprimary 5 days so hopefully it will work. Money will be a nightmare though. We struggle to make ends meet as it is, taking away my income will make it even worse BUT it is only for a year (this is going to be my mantra!)

Stampin Up is going fantastically. I have promoted to Manager and am heading to Sydney on Thurs to go to the Convention. I get to meet the CEO of SU at a special Manager and above reception, which I am feeling pretty special to be involved in!! I have a great little team and am makign some nice money which certainly helps out. Mostly, as I tell DH, its cheaper than therapy original.gif

Ok, I said this was gonig to be a quick post didn't I! I obviously need to come back in more often.

Sorry for no personals, though I am sure I have commented on most of yoru FB status updates at some time recently so that counts right?? LOL

Enjoy the rest of yoru week peoples and I will hopefully be back soon
Lisa
x

#68 mhjemma

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:14 PM

Lisa - Are you mad? Teaching??????? Arghhhhhh!!! Don't do it!!!!!!!!........... and breathe Mardi!........... Seriously love my job, but seriously, it is such an underpaid job for the stupid work involved! I am ready for the whole..."but you get the best holidays ever...you finish work at 3pm etc."    I say...BRING IT ON !! I can describe my last 5 weeks to you and then you tell me if I am getting paid what I am worth!!!!

I was meant to come back a while ago and debrief on my crazy introduction into full time teaching. I am too exhausted and emotionally frazzled to do so tonight in much detail. I do want to share a very important thing though.....

Hug your loved ones close as often as possible. Tell them you love them even when things aren't perfect. Make sure that you know your partner's banking details, and get income protection.....

Sounds dramatic, but 2 weeks ago a close friend at work had the rude awakening that there isn't always a tomorrow. Her fiance had a brain aneurysm and was close to death. He is still in ICU. After a week of bad news where we thought he wasn't going to make it, he is finally starting to show little steps towards recovery.

I am still shocked at my reaction to it all, but it has really hit home that life is short and you can never take anything for granted. I have spent a lot of time at work with this lovely woman and her world has crashed in around her. A few hours before her life was torn apart, we were laughing and joking about the silliest of things and all of a sudden she was plunged into a nightmare.

Thank you for reading, I really have needed to get that out for a while but haven't had time. Trying desperately to write reports (only 1 of 28 done so far) which I am struggling with as I have never done them before and feel the weight of responsibility it entails! Battling a silly cold that won't go away, just changes. Still going through the whole 1st communion program and trying to get the day to day stuff working effectively too.

And maybe you should all be charging as therapist consultants! I seem to come in here and go ...BLAH!!!!....... Oops, sorry.

Love you all and thank you for allowing me to get crap off my chest.
xoxoxoxoxoxo

#69 Kay1

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:25 PM

Wow Mardi, that is heavy! I was thinking about this myself tonight after reading about someone losing their husband. I hope your friend's DH gets better soon. How incredibly scary. sad.gif

I went to Open Day at the Primary School today and I was looking at all the teachers thinking what bloody hard work it must be to teach kids all day long. I will never say I think its a cushy job and definitely underpaid. I was a lawyer as you know but give me a cranky judge any day over a class full of kids needing my undivided attention!! At least you are contributing to the lives of those kids and to the world in general through them. Don't forget that. I remember my primary school years well and the teachers who taught me. original.gif

#70 Titania

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:43 PM

Yeah, teachers (and child care workers) are very underpaid - DH and I were just talking about this the other day - and DH was saying how embarrassing it is that IT workers (not him, now, as a poor student) get paid such a ridiculous amount, for such an occupation - when the ones that really matter (teaching and caring for kids, nursing, etc) are paid and supported so cruddily.

We need more good teachers, so kudos to you Mardi (and Lisa) - try and get some rest when you can, as I am going to now.

Which of the schools Kay - and did you like it?

Night all

#71 Kay1

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:26 AM

Too right T. Law is the worst - so highly paid and its just capitalism feeding on itself mostly. Ugh. Its hard work and long hours but so pointless in so many ways.

It was the closer school. Unfortunately it didn't make the decision for us as I was hoping it would. Nothing bad, I just didn't get the same lovely feeling as from the other school. For some reason we just didn't warm to the principal. It was also pouring with rain which didn't help. shrug.gif

#72 Kay1

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:32 AM

Oh I have to share - last night I had a breakthrough with Leo. He was great at preschool and then as soon as I got him home he started the screaming. I had given him some rice crackers and he wanted something else and went nutso. I stuck him in the dining room and shut the door for 2 minutes. When I got him out and cuddled him he stopped crying and took his crackers quietly and sat down! ohmy.gif After that all I had to do was point at the dining room door and say "do you want to go in there?" and he'd stop screaming and shake his head - so cute. Made for a MUCH happier evening I can tell you. He still didn't touch his dinner but he didn't scream the whole time.

#73 butterflies

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:25 AM

teachers are underpaid because alot of people think that education is free so they don't pay anything for their child's education......this gets me so anrgy, I have heard conversations among parents at school with this attitude and can't understand why their child can't go to the excursion.

Kay sounds like you had a breakthrough with leo!! did you get my message?

#74 Kay1

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:51 PM

I did thanks Karina, sorry I haven't replied yet. No worries.

#75 ~~Lynny~~

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:55 AM

Was going to try and post but I feel like death..  not much sleep last night.. hips are so sore they feel like they are going to fall apart!  And to top it off I've got Emily's flu sad.gif  

Looking forward to tomorrow though.  DH's offered to watch the kids tomorrow night so I can go out with a girl from over the road..  movie and a meal somewhere - no idea where though!  I'm looking forward to going out without kids and a nappy bag!

BBL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.