24 hour stay only after birth?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 kittykat2010

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:59 AM

My prego brain got the better of me last night as I was meant to confirm this with the Dr but I was waiting to be seen by an Ob at Royal North Shore Public hospital I overheard a midwife saying that they keep patients who dont have complications for 24 hours after birth. They do send a midwife to you at home for a few days after that though.

Am I being precious? This doesnt sound like long especially considering that you have just gone through labour and may be having problems breastfeeding and for women who already have a child/children to look after, doesnt it sound a bit much to have to go home and be back in a hectic environment so soon after birth?

How long did you stay in hospital after the birth and was it enough?

#2 toni147

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:11 PM

Unfortunately a lot (I hesitate to say MOST, but I know most of our local hospitals do it) of public hospitals have gone down this path. Even the private hospitals have shortened their stays significantly over the past few years.

I have an OB simply so that I can access a private hospital that offers a 4 night/5 day stay for a natural birth, and 6 night/7day stay for a caesar. I think this is a civilised length of time...particularly for new mothers who have no experience with newborns.

With both DD1 and DD2 I had 4 nights and it was great. Gives you time for your milk to come in, and for you to adjust to your new little person without interruption or chores. I'm really looking forward to it with baby #3 too, as that will be the only quiet time he/she and I have together before we return home.

#3 ~Mintie~

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:18 PM

Unfortunately the PP is correct. Many public hospitals discharge the day after giving birth. I went to a private hospital and stayed for 5 nights. To be honest, I needed to be there that long just to establish breastfeeding. I was itching to go home by the end of it, but I can guarentee you that without the on call support of the staff there, I would be much worse off, so would my baby.
Each to their own, I know many mothers feel more comfortable being in their own surroundings very soon after the birth and that's totally fine. But for me, I needed time. And I think you should approach your caregiver regarding this because it can be quite important.
Good luck

#4 R2B2

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:21 PM

I went through RNS public...and they forced me to stay for almost 3 days? I was ready to go home the day after my DS birth (he was born at 11.55pm on the 6/11, and I wanted out on the 7/11 Tounge1.gif) finally on the afternoon of the 8/11...after much pestering, they finally let me go home Tounge1.gif
I think that going home is awesome, you are in your own comfort zone, you can relax and do things at your pace, you dont have the disturbance of other patients and their visitors biggrin.gif

Edited by MummatoRiley, 13 May 2010 - 12:21 PM.

#5 Orangedrops

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:25 PM

24 hours is normal for a birth centre. Usually you would stay 2 or 3 nights if you gave birth in the labour ward. Personally I try to get out as quick as possible. Last time I left after 10 hours. If you are having problems establishing breastfeeding they may let you stay another night or two.

#6 kpingitquiet

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:31 PM

48 hrs seems pretty standard around Adelaide, with 24 or less hours if you and baby are totally complication-free.

I think a lot depends on whether or not you use anesthesia and what variety. Those who get epidurals are likely allowed a longer stay as the effects have to work their way out.

As for me, I hope all goes well enough to stay home as long as possible in early labor, then get BACK home as soon as possible after labor. I've spent enough of my life in hospitals and am not overly jazzed at the idea of camping out in one for 2-4 days. BUT! This is a first baby so I will have no other kids seeking attention, and hubby is staying home for two weeks so he can split his focus between taking care of me and taking care of our two dogs. My mom and stepdad should be arriving (to help out and do Xmas) from the US toward the end of hubby's time off. All I will have to focus on is getting to know baby and trying to rest.

I think if a lengthy convalescence is vitally important to someone, they should highly consider going private and transfering to the hotel options offered by many hospitals.

#7 Maple Leaf

My SIL only stays 24 hours after birth, sometimes not even that long! She has 5 kids and with each birth the stay has been shorter.

I stayed 4 days with DD1 and 3 days with DD2. Wouldn't have wanted any less than that!
*private hospital both times*

#8 IBakeBoys

3 days with DS1, 6 hrs with DS2 and 1 1/2 days with DS3.

I'd rather the short stay. The maternity ward is not the place to get well rested IMO. So unless you get a private room then you'll probably stay tired the whole time you're there.

I loved the 6 hr stay as it meant the DS1 wasn't out of routine which was really important to us as DP only got 3 days off work.

But if you really honestly aren't ready to go home then talk to them about why. Also, with DS3 they counted it as a 24 hr stay but he was born at 1 am on the wenesday morning and we were discharged at 10am on the thursday morning so "24hrs" doesn't always equate to 24 hrs IYKWIM...

#9 sarah-m

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:33 PM

If you find for any reason that you WANT to stay because you are unsure of breastfeeding, you feel unwell, not coping, VERY sore down there... or any decent reason, they will more than likely let you stay.

I have NEVER IRL heard of people being forced out of the maternity ward. They might encourage it, but they won't force you.

TBH I HATED hospital particularly the public one. I couldn't wait to get out of there, but I was there for 5 days after my first. I was only there 4 hours after my second.

Being your first, I'm sure they will allow you to have an extra night (or two!)

#10 Guest_christinam_*

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:38 PM

With my first in the UK I gave birth at 2.30am and left the same day at 3pm (public).  My second I went private (SAN) gave birth at 4.50pm and left the next morning even though I could have stayed the full 5 nights.  I would rather be home in my bed, using my toilet, being able to walk like John Wayne and not have to care who sees me!  biggrin.gif
It is amazing how much better you feel being at home and you are able to practice breast feeding (if that is what you want) and nappy changing without feeling watched.  I know they mean well but you need to bond with your little one and being at home is the best place.

#11 10yeargap

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:39 PM

I had my DS in November last year. After i had him i asked how long i was going to be in hospital for and i was told i could go home 6 hours after the birth as long as there were no complications.
I was GBS positive so i had to stay for 24 hours.

#12 sueb31

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:40 PM

I've heard in parts of the UK it is 4 hours!! Can you believe that!!
Sue

#13 kp0507

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:40 PM

First baby, I stayed two nights (but not quite 48 hours) and appreciated the advice I got re. feeding etc.

Second baby was born at 1:30 AM and I was begging to be allowed home 8 hours later. Why? I'd had a very long and difficult labour and needed to sleep, which was impossible sharing a room with two other women and their babies and their many visitors! Honestly, I felt completely neglected as I even had to beg for a cup of tea and was not given anything to eat! The clincher was a young midwife who actually woke me up the second I managed to fall asleep to talk to be about post natal depression! Get a clue, girl!

This is turning into a vent, but I think 24 hours is ideal, provided there is good follow up care including home visits from midwives. For a first time mum, it can be pretty scary going home, especially if you are going home alone as I was (DH had to work) but on the other hand, home is so much more comfortable, private and quiet!

#14 MerryMadrigalMadge

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:44 PM

I did the birth centre path - gave birth at 6.30 pm, left at 4pm the next day.

Had daily visits for 4 days afterwards at home, and a booking for the day stay breast feeding clinic for the 7th day after birth.

That was entirely my choice - I could have stayed longer as we hadn't established breastfeeding yet, but I had a really easy birth, I live 10 minutes from the hospital and I just wanted to go home!

I had fantastic one on one lengthy visits from the nurses those 4 days after, and I intend to do the same with future children.

I have top level full PHI, and I never considered using it - public all the way, the whole process cost one GP visit, and I paid for the CVS I chose to have.

Some of friends remain horrified and insist on staying 4/5 nights - I don't understand it - barring complications and any other problems, most mothers I've seen are on their feet, walking around within an hour or two of delivery, and apart from being tired, they're fine.

Then again, like I said, I had a very easy, quickish birth - talk to me again if I ever have a horror one!

#15 taddie

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:45 PM

For your first birth they usually let you stay longer (2-3 days is normal) to make sure you've established breastfeeding before you go. For c/s it's 5 days. You can check yourself out earlier but I don't think they can make you leave before those times.

#16 bubba-licious

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:46 PM

1st births stay 4-5 days (for a normal uncomplicated birth) Next birth you can do same day discharge & a midwife will do in home visits. Our local hospital encourages women who are confident to do so to go home as there is less chance of bub picking up infections. However they don't kick you out! If you feel you need to stay then you can.

This is for the public hospital

We have private health now & I will still be going public because I WANT to go home same day. Hospital wards are so noisey & I would much rather get my little precious home. In saying that if there is a reason (ie bub or me not 100%)  that I should stay I won't hesitate.

Edited by bubba-licious, 13 May 2010 - 12:47 PM.

#17 Guest_kalita_*

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:48 PM

It's a completely scary thought when it's your first baby, but 24 hours isn't so unreasonable. If you have someone at home to do all the stuff (cook, clean, mind the baby while you are sleeping) it is probably preferable (IMO) than staying in the hospital. The only thing that would keep me longer would be breastfeeding support, but my experience of that at the hospital was a boob roughly shoved at my baby and being told the excruciating pain was normal and I should suck it up (even though my nipples were so wrecked it was obviously bad attachment), while I was crashing on baby blues and not enough sleep and my baby was screaming from hunger. The girl next to me, who did persevere with BF, got support in the form shoved boobs, cranky midwives, and a video rolleyes.gif  

But aside from my bitter tangent, 24 hours seems like a decent amount of time. My home visit MCHN is a lovely lady who helped me a lot, and we still visit her 2 years later.

Edited by kalita, 13 May 2010 - 12:50 PM.

#18 MrsNorthman

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:48 PM

I stayed 11 hours after DD1 and 3 hours after DD2.  I much prefer to go home, shower and relax in my own home, eat what I want etc.  As long as it was just a normal birth I couldn't imagine staying any longer.

#19 Fab6

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:56 PM

With DS1, I was in for 2 days. No complications but the hospital were happy to have me there until I felt confident with bub.

With DS2, DD & DS3 I was lucky if I was there for 12hrs from the time I arrived in labour.  My choice to leave at that stage, I am not a fan of hospitals and I made everyone aware that I wanted early discharge if all was well.  I find I rest more at home with my kids than I do at hospital worrying about the others at home.

#20 GoneWithTheWhinge

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:08 PM

Why do you need to stay in hospital?

If you had an uncomplicated labour and delivery and both you and the baby are fine then I don't see why you would be in hospital.

With my eldest daughter she was born at 5.30pm, I was after being out of there at 7pm but she wasn't holding her temperature well so we were trapped overnight. As all was well I started requesting the paperwork be completed at 7am and was waiting, bags packed ready to go when H arrived at 10am. we were both fine and I didn't see why I needed to be in a hospital bed when I had a perfectly good house to live in.

With my second I had her at home.

Having said that, both were born in the UK, where the system of post birth care allows a daily midwife visit for 10days after the birth or there abouts until you are happy that feeding has been established and you aren't having problems.

So, a genuine question, why do you want to stay in hospital? Is it a security thing, in that there are professionals there in case something happens? Why would you not rather be at home, resting in your own bed, having what you want to eat and when you want it and be able to get to know your baby without an audience?

#21 MelsRose

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:14 PM

Obviously by the PP's, everyone has their own opinion on this one.

I personally am looking forward to a "4 day holiday" in October when #3 arrives.  I stayed 6 nights with #1 (c/s & included night before) and 4 nights with #2 (natural & included 2 nights at hotel).  I am happy to stay that long and want to make sure my "milk is in", my pain medication is sorted, and bubs weight etc is OK.  I won't have a lot of full time help when I get home, so will take all the R&R I can when in hospital.

A GF of mine was sent home after 24hours and had to return 3 times with a number of complications.
Another friend was encouraged to go home early from the same hospital after a C/S with twins, but pretended she hadn't "moved her bowels" so that she could stay the extra night.

If the hospital offers midwife support at home, and other sorts of perks such as meals delivered, house cleaning, free nappies etc. and YOU & bubs are happier at home, then perhaps take up the option.   It is just not my cup of tea original.gif

#22 loubee

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:20 PM

I had DS1 Private with a 4 night stay; DS2 Public country hospital 2 night stay and DD3 was to be public with 1 night only. Nearly had a melt down and was planning to stay in a hotel to just chill with baby but she came so fast we had her at home, taken to hospital in ambulance, delivered placenta and sent home - all over in 5 hours. My parents took the boys and it was actually fantastic. DH went and bought loads of prepared meals from a great store and I just chilled at home and in my own bed which was bliss. Mid wife came every day for 4 days and would easily say it was the nicest of the lot.

I totally understand your concern but it was so lovely being at home compared to the hospital with noises; bright lights, too hot heating and ordinary food. Embrace it!

QUOTE (sarah-m @ 13/05/2010, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have NEVER IRL heard of people being forced out of the maternity ward. They might encourage it, but they won't force you.

TBH I HATED hospital particularly the public one. I couldn't wait to get out of there, but I was there for 5 days after my first. I was only there 4 hours after my second.

Being your first, I'm sure they will allow you to have an extra night (or two!)

I have, if they don't have the beds they can't keep you in.

#23 WeeBoab

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:37 PM

If you really feel unwell, upset or unable to cope yet, they may well be able to let you stay longer... but of course this depends on spare beds and how busy they are.

As PP stated, in reality it is not a strict 24hrs. I had been told I would be able to stay two nights at my last hospital (standard policy for uncomplicated births). I gave birth at 3am Sat morning, stayed Sat & Sun night and packed up ready to leave on Monday... only to be told by the nurse that I still could stay Mon night, they'd expected me to stay Mon night and that unless they could get the doctor down to do a final check I may have to! Luckily I could leave because I was well and truly ready to go and get comfy in my own house. Though that was a public hopsital with a two-bed room, and shower/toilet down the hall so if you had better private facilities it might be better. I was also lucky in that my milk came in within 24hrs so DD was already feeding well and regularly by the time we left.

This time I'm going through a family birth centre where they encourage you to leave as soon as you feel able. If my labour goes well I would like to leave as soon as possible this time. I will want to be back home with my DD and in my own bed/shower - I can walk around naked if I want! And the only baby crying will be mine!

If you are worried about feeding there are probably better resources to access out of the hospital anyway. Helplines (ABA), private lactation consultations, local MCHNs etc. MWs in hospitals tend to be very busy and a bit hit and miss with breastfeeding advice.

#24 bellarox

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:42 PM

I will be coming home after six hours. I will be giving birth by myself and won't have any visitors, won't get much rest from being in the ward. So I figure I might as well be home with my other two kids and get back into the swing of things.

#25 twotofour

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:44 PM

my sister is a public patient and discharges herself as soon as possible,usually a couple of hours(5 kids)
I am a private patient and have had 3 c sections and I discharge myself after a day as I cant wait to get home although sadly only one of my four has come home with me the rest have been in SCU/ICU for weeks and I travel back and forwrds but I dont see the 'need' to be in hospital as you are not sick as such.I would rather DH help me and our baby rather then strangers.Nurses do home visit too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.