24 hour stay only after birth?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#76 Guest_**KM**_*

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:16 PM

I stayed in hospital 3-4 days with DD1 and DS.  With DD2 I had a private midwife and a home birth so the only time I spent in hospital was 12 hours after I transferred after birth with a PPH.  12 hours was way too long even!  My midwife came to my home for the first few days and then every few days and then weekly until 6-7 weeks.  Personally I am happier to have a private midwife come to my home instead of stay in a place where I have numerous midwives giving varied advice and bad food in a room with 4 people in it (this is our local public hospital).  I am very opposed to OB care for me as it led to unnecessary interventions so my only two options are public hospital or home - home is my choice  original.gif

#77 zanjabil

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:58 AM

My first birth was overseas and I left within 24 hours as it was costly staying each extra day. I had my husband for support at home as I had an episiotomy so couldn't walk and was in a lot of pain. I would have stayed longer if I could have. I also had breastfeeding attachment issues and had no help there so had to figure it out by using the internet.

2nd time around I gave birth @ Mercy Birthing Center and I had a great labour - no stitches and wanted to go home in a few hours but because I had a temperature they took blood tests and I had to wait for results. So I gave birth around 10am and left at 9pm. I was staying at my mums so had a lot of help and just wanted to be at home comfortable in bed and eating my mums food instead of hospital food original.gif I don't like hospitals in general so prefer to go home asap. I also had a toddler this time around and didn't want to leave her for too long.

#78 smudgiekiss

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:47 PM

I'm another one who wants to get out of hospital as quickly as possible.

There is nothing like being home in your own bed, your own enviroment to settle your baby and concentrate on breastfeeding.

A very helpful husband and family is a must to ensure this works smoothly.  Next time I will also be employing some cleaning services to clean the house for a few weeks afterwards.  I think asking family members for some sleep overs for the older children to help you recover in those first few days/weeks is a must.

#79 Hausfrau

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:58 PM

#1- I stayed for 6 days and got so much bullsh*t and conflicting advice about breastfeeding. In the end I hated feeding and gave up at 9 weeks.

#2- I stayed for 4 hours and asked for them to give me NO breastfeeding info. I wanted to feed him if I could but wasn't set on it. I fed him for 12 months.

#3- I again stayed for 4 hours and also told them I didn't want them to interfere with my feeding. I fed him for 2 years and 7 months.

#4- Was born at home so no hospital stay biggrin.gif She is feeding well at 3 months and again I asked for no one to interfere or give advice.

#80 SmallPotatoes

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:11 PM

A PP mentioned 4 hours stays OS. I believe the Birthing Centre at Ryde Hospital in Sydney also has this policy.

As for me - had a fairly uneventful induced, vaccuum delivery, had 1 night at the busy public hospital (there were 17 mothers with babies in that night) where she was born under the care of my OB which was in a town 45 minutes away from mine (there is no option for private ob in my town). I then transfered to the private hospital in my town under the care of my GP, where I stayed for another 5 nights. I was unable to establish breastfeeding with DD blood sugars dipping alot and she was basically starving and lost wayy more than the allowable 10% of her birth weight.  So I stayed in hospital until she "proved herself" with formula feeding.  The midwives at the private hospital were very supportive and I was glad to have the time there.

As for next time (when/if it happens fingers crossed) I have NO IDEA what will happen.  My OB is no longer obing - only obgyning. The private hospital in my town is closing (so no option to come back here). I need to have any other babies in a hospital where my banding doctor has practising rights (so same public hospital as last time) but again wouldn't be accepted by midwives program as I am "out of area" so would need to find another private Ob in that town.  As for then how long I would stay - I'm thinking I would probably have more support going home and getting my CHN and a lactation consultant in than staying at the busy public hospital...  ugh why are things so difficult!!  That being said - I know if it were possible I would want a lengthy stay next time to see how I go with BF... I'm not sure it would be even worth trying (considering my milk never eventuated last time) without a high level of care and support...  

But that's just me - as a PP stated - everyone has their own story and own reasons!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.