- - - - -

Win a double pass to see Calendar Girls

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 F.E.B.E

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:19 PM

CALENDAR GIRLS is a stage show based on the very successful film of the same name starring Helen Mirren and Julie Walters, which in turn was based on a true story.

A group of ordinary middle‐aged women, members of a very ordinary Yorkshire Women’s Institute, do something quite extraordinary. They spark a global phenomenon by persuading one another to pose for a charity calendar with a difference! As interest snowballs, the Calendar Girls find themselves revealing more than they'd ever planned...

CALENDAR GIRLS has played to sold‐out audiences on the West End for well over a year, and is the fastest selling regional tour in British theatre history.

CALENDAR GIRLS is playing at Sydney’s Theatre Royal until June 13 and at Melbourne’s Comedy Theatre from June 17 to August 1.

The star-studded Australian cast features actresses Lorraine Bayly, Rachel Berger, Rhonda Burchmore, Cornelia Frances, Jean Kittson, Anna Lee and Amanda Muggleton.

We have two double passes to give away- one for Sydney on Saturday 5th of June and the other for Melbourne on Saturday 26th of June. To enter, just answer the following question by midnight on Sunday May 23 by replying below:
What is the most outrageous thing you have ever done for a good cause?

Terms and Conditions pinned in competitions forum.

#2 Baggy

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:26 PM

When I was 13, I didn't talk for a weekend to raise money for Cancer Research UK. I raised 900 pounds.

#3 Guest_KITTYKAT63_*

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:30 PM

Collected money in the cold and rain for the Salvos appeal. In Wagga Wagga

#4 LittleBT

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:56 PM

sigh... Pity you don't have a pass for Brisbane

#5 Steggles

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:10 PM

Brisbane here too sad.gif

#6 liv1520

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:32 PM

When I was 13 and at High School in NZ, i completed the 40 Hour Famine for World Vision.
No Actual Food for 40 Hours, Only Just Juice and Barley Sugars
I only raised about $250 but I was so proud of myself for a 13 year old  biggrin.gif and really felt like I made a difference to a childs life.

If I win, I would love the Tickets for the Sydney Show (and the 6th June is my 6 Year Wedding Anniversary)

#7 JustMum08

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:35 PM

I am in Sydney.

Probably the 40 hour famine when I was 16 which included no food, internet, tv or music the whole time. A few  friends and I camped out for the weekend so we wouldn't give in. (dw there was parental supervision!). The weather didn't agree with us though and was very wet and cold! But we soldiered on and kept ourselves entertained with cards, board games etc. Was quiet fun actually and I would definetly do it again!

Which was very hard for me. I have an internet addiction lol  ph34r.gif

#8 Dixer

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:54 PM

When I was 14 I took part in a 45km charity walk with my school, we were raising money for The Red Cross. A group of students and teachers did it together and everyone eventually made it. It was through The Blue Mountains so there was more than a few hills, it took me 10 long hours! I think altogether we raised a few thousand dollars.

#9 sarah-m

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:26 PM

Sydney here original.gif

When I was in year 11, myself and a few friends dressed in fancy dress to raise money for childhood Leukaemia. It was lots of fun, we walked through Newcastle Mall with our buckets, acting like total dags.

Unfortunately, a large group of Yr 12 'surfy guys' from our school worked past after leaving the beach and gave us heaps of grief... we were completely mortified  rolleyes.gif

#10 kattas76

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:49 PM

I baked biscuits for 3 consecutive weeks and sold them at work, raising just over $400 for The Cancer Council. It was tiring but equally rewarding.
Cheers, Melbourne entrant.  biggrin.gif

#11 bonnie mcbride

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:18 PM

I am in Perth, but my Mum will be in Sydney on June 5 and she LOVES Calendar Girls the movie. So i would love to win these tickets and give them to her and her sister.

I abseiled off the top of the WACA (WA Cricket Association ground) light towers for Youth Focus (suicide and prevention) in 2008. I also rode a flying fox from the top down to the ground. These light towers are about 80 metres high and require climbing a whole bunch of ladders inside the tower just to make it to the top.!!!

#12 kyliekk

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:55 PM

When I was 17, I shaved off all my waist length, thick, wavy hair for the Leukaemia Foundation World’s Greatest Shave. It wasn't as common then as it is now and most people were very shocked. But it raised over $1000 original.gif

(Melbourne)

#13 lizware

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:13 PM

went on a sponsored walk for the local kinder when I was 13 and helping a neighbour. Didn't realise I had a broken toe and wondered why my foot hurt! Still, I raised a few hundred dollars and ate lollies most of the way, so it was fun. huh.gif

#14 Snagglepussed

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:22 PM

Being the first Starlight Volunteer in Australia and helping many a small child going through horrific life changing illnesses live a dream come true!
Hawking for free flights to Los Angeles and Disney tickets for a little girl going through chemo when no-one knew really who Starlight were! We did it!

Edited by Girolama, 19 May 2010 - 04:23 PM.

#15 rainy75

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:52 PM

i shaved my long blonde hair last year to raise money for cancer and raised $1900..
I've never had it short in my life....looks better now biggrin.gif

#16 tlong

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:38 AM

I have a BMI which makes me obese- yet a few weeks ago I walked 100kms in 38hrs and 37mins to raise money for Oxfam. I walked side by side with 3 other people and we raised over $5000. This included us holding a trivia night where we role played the movies that the tables had to guess - you try being Forest Gump- it was a scream!!

#17 FluffyChickenhead

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:01 PM

is it just me or are there a few posters in here with 0 as a post count>?

#18 maidmaz2009

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:30 PM

All through my high school years I used to bring home boxes of fundraiser chocolates and make my poor mum buy the whole lot!

Edited by maidmaz2009, 22 May 2010 - 09:31 PM.

#19 morik74

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:54 AM

I've always loved animals as a kid. As a strong supporter of the RSPCA for many years, I've done many a "crazy" things to rally people to donate generously towards animal welfare. I can still remember about 5 years ago on a cold winter Saturday morning, dressed in a dog suit with my mates, each of us carrying a RSPCA tin can, strolling along a busy stretch of road asking stopping motorists for donations as soon as the traffic lights turned red. We would wait patiently by the side of the road in our doggy attire as soon as the traffic turned green. It was fun and extremely thrilling to do something so out of this world for such a great cause. Thanks for the dog suit, I felt warm and comfy inside, protected from the 10 degree winter cold outside. Overall we managed to collect $4100 on that day for the RSPCA. As I removed the dog suit after a hard day's work, I felt a warm glow of pride and happiness. It was an experience that I would never forget! biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Melly from Melbourne

#20 3_for_me

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:00 AM

Volunteering for the SES, there's really nothing like sitting on a steep slippery roof in the pouring rain at 2am putting tarps up to make you feel alive biggrin.gif

Regards
Erin from Melbourne

Edited by 3_for_me, 23 May 2010 - 01:01 AM.

#21 lisagray1

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:25 AM

Being the good Australian I am, we had another child when the Government called for an increase in the population. wink.gif

#22 AngelElder

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:15 PM

At 60 I participated in my first 'City to Bay' in aid of 'The Animal Welfare Assoc' admittedly I didn't run, I walked but I finished in 2hr 4mins, which I was personally very proud of

#23 Guest_see.shell_*

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (EBeditor @ 14/05/2010, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

CALENDAR GIRLS is a stage show based on the very successful film of the same name starring Helen Mirren and Julie Walters, which in turn was based on a true story.

A group of ordinary middle‐aged women, members of a very ordinary Yorkshire Women’s Institute, do something quite extraordinary. They spark a global phenomenon by persuading one another to pose for a charity calendar with a difference! As interest snowballs, the Calendar Girls find themselves revealing more than they'd ever planned...

CALENDAR GIRLS has played to sold‐out audiences on the West End for well over a year, and is the fastest selling regional tour in British theatre history.

CALENDAR GIRLS is playing at Sydney’s Theatre Royal until June 13 and at Melbourne’s Comedy Theatre from June 17 to August 1.

The star-studded Australian cast features actresses Lorraine Bayly, Rachel Berger, Rhonda Burchmore, Cornelia Frances, Jean Kittson, Anna Lee and Amanda Muggleton.

We have two double passes to give away- one for Sydney on Saturday 5th of June and the other for Melbourne on Saturday 26th of June. To enter, just answer the following question by midnight on Sunday May 23 by replying below:
What is the most outrageous thing you have ever done for a good cause?

Terms and Conditions pinned in competitions forum.

I have done a lot of the things people have listed and I am inspired by their efforts but I have not read anything outrageous so far just very caring and often brave. May all you brave, heroic people continue to do the wonderful things that you do to make our world a better place.

#24 liv1520

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:39 PM

Wow so many people with a Zero or One Post Count  rolleyes.gif

#25 F.E.B.E

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:14 PM

Competition now closed for judging

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.