Going overseas for donor eggs
egg donation overseas

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#51 storm101

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

Good Day all

I am a South African 3rd time egg donor, I came across this site in an attempt to obtain more information on donating specifically, and after reading your comments thought I would pop a quick comment from a donors perspective.

SA is a beautiful country and if you are considering an Egg Donor I would suggest CapeFertility in Cape Town, they have fantastic Doctors, clean Clinic and professional staff, there is aparently no waiting list (if a few months at all) and we donors here are compensated a fixed amount for our time and effort (not our eggs)
I am only humbled to be apart of this process and assist wherever I can (I would do it for free).

I wish all you ladies the best in your Journeys to becoming mommy's.

xx

#52 needanangel

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (LisaDD @ 07/05/2012, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi there. I'm in Perth WA and currently researching overseas egg donation. I've tried IVF for over 10 years with no luck and now just turned 40 so it's time to step it up (not give up!). My fs is not keen on egg donors so I need to find one that is prepared to work with an overseas fertility centre. Can anyone recommend a consultancy or fs in WA? Thanks.

Hi, curious to hear what you found out.... just relocated to Perth and need to look at egg donation and it seems overseas is a better, faster option. I am over 40 too so time is ticking. Any info you can share would be great!

#53 bubsy36

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

Hi girls,    I am a first time user of this site but have been reading the threads of this post for a week and am harboring a thirst for more and am now ready to share our story with you too
DH and I have been TTC for over 7years with many cycles of IVF & ICSI. As devastating as it is to hear from the FS those words "egg donation" sad.gif  it still gave us that light of hope, not the dead brick wall end that one first thinks!!  Initially its taken me a good 6 months to come to terms with the fact that the child we will conceive will not have my genetic link. But after reading so many other stories, its amazing to realise that we are not alone.....it is seriously mind blowing  that so many of us have gone through so much heartache and pain to get what we all really want.....children!! Just goes to show 'we have ways' eh!? cool.gif Has anyone looked into or done a cycle in South Africa where you can see the photos of the donor as an adult? If so , what clinic or agency did you go through?
And I would like to say a big thank you in sharing your stories and thoughts and words of encouragement to other members like myself who are new to the site, it is like being given a new blankie to cuddle up to every night....can't wait to get home to it!! biggrin.gif

#54 shelly1170

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

Hi bubsy36.  I am about to start on our IVF journey.  We have decided on Thailand as we can access donor eggs more easily.  We will receive photographs of the donors as well as having the opportunity to meet them in a supervised visit.  Have to run but feel free to ask any questions!

#55 Bubdream

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (Possmanda @ 19/05/2010, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi bjc24, I've just turned 43 and I have spent over 20 years either doing IVF or saving up to do IVF; I felt the same as you do - exhausted!

We went to South Africa - it was considerably cheaper than the US, we could still pick our donor and saw both baby pictures and adult pictures of our donor (we dealt with a company that was actually based in California, so could show the adult photos; agencies that are based in South Africa aren't allowed to). We chose to go to Johannesburg, as there were direct flights there for us. The experience was wonderful in comparison to Australia. Our nurse was contactable 24/7; she even rang on her day off to let us know the numbers of embryos still developing. The lab was modern, clean and quiet and there were no blaring lights or half a dozen students in the same room. We chose to have 2 embryos replaced rather than 1, because, let's face it, I was no spring chicken! My problem relates to endometriosis tying back my tubes - the sperm wasn't getting to the eggs. By the time I could afford the IVF treatment though, I was going through perimenopause and my eggs were hard boiled!

My donor was willing to donate for altruisic purposes, but also because there was a reasonable fee to compensate her for her time and energy. I don't care for the Australian policy of not paying donors reasonable fees for their time and energy. I find that it deters many potential donors, and some of the donors that are still willing to donate seem to be unduly interested beyond the donation - they want pictures and yearly updates, they want to chose who the donation goes to (which would be unacceptable for other body parts), etc. I think that for some donors, its more of a case of lending an egg, rather than donating! That said, there are many who are generous in their spirit anyway, but I think giving a reasonable fee would actually help put it into perspective for some donors.

Even with the fee, our costs were comparable with Australia - we paid about $15,000 all up, of which $5000 was flights and accommodation, and the rest was towards the donor, the treatment, all the medications, etc. Now that the Australian dollars is so good against the greenback, it would probably be even cheaper. We even got to go to Zambia to see the Victoria Falls and went on a safari for 3 days. So even if treatment wasn't successful, we figured that we had had a wonderful holiday (and it helped stop me from obsessing over every little twinge or buying up loads of hpts!). As it happens, we ended up with stowaways...

But you want to know success rates - our clinic said between 75 to 80%. We took into account my age and the many, many years of failure at IVF and the distance we were travelling, and asked for them to replace 2 of embryos. Both grew, developed and we have 2 healthy, perky kids who look a great deal like ours would probably have looked, had we been successful with my eggs. Our donor was 30 when she donated, had already had her 2 children and didn't want any more, so was a proven donor if you like. She produced 9 eggs, of which 7 became embryos, and 5 went on to blastocyts, so very high quality! We have 3 frozen in case we want to expand our family, and I think we probably might in a few more years.

My problem was with the tubes being held down by the endo, not with my uterus. I imagine that if you have problems with the uterus, then that would bring down the success rate anyway. If, on the other hand, your problem is with hormones, age or blocked tubes, then your chances of success are very much higher. Again, my husband was fine - any issues with the sperm would also bring down your chances.

Finally, I love these kids, full stop. I am their biological mother; I grew them, gave birth to them, nurtured them - it may be to a plan that someone else has written with my husband, but I'm the brickie who built them up - without me, those plans would just be a pipe dream.

Hi Possmanda

Thanks so much for the info.  I'm hoping you receive this message and can help me as it was 2 years ago you posted your message.

I wonder if you could email me or post in the PM section for me, what the donor company name was in the US. We cannot afford the US option and are hoping the the SA option is cheaper, we would prefer to see adult pictures if possible.

We have been trying and have had several cancelled IVF cycles due to low ovary reserve and my age 42, nearly 43.

I would be most appreciative if you provide us with the name of the agency in the US that deal with the SA donors.  We cannot afford the $40,000 approx that we have been quoted.

Thanks so much,
Bubdream

#56 Bubdream

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

Hi All

I am hoping that someone may be able to help me with the below query?

I wonder if anyone could email me or post in the PM section for me, what the donor agency name was in the US that deal with donors in South Africa (Possmanda used them).  I have sent a message to Possmanda but not sure if she will get the message as her posts were from 2010.

We cannot afford the US donor egg option, around $40,000 and are hoping the the South African option is cheaper.  We would like to view the adult profiles if possible which is why we would love to know the US agency Possmanda went through.

We have been trying and have had several cancelled IVF cycles due to my low ovary reserve and my age 42, nearly 43.

I would be most appreciative if you provide us with the name of the agency in the US that deal with the SA donors.

Thanks so much,
Bubdream

#57 Scouter

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (Bubdream @ 14/08/2012, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi All

I am hoping that someone may be able to help me with the below query?

I wonder if anyone could email me or post in the PM section for me, what the donor agency name was in the US that deal with donors in South Africa (Possmanda used them).  I have sent a message to Possmanda but not sure if she will get the message as her posts were from 2010.

We cannot afford the US donor egg option, around $40,000 and are hoping the the South African option is cheaper.  We would like to view the adult profiles if possible which is why we would love to know the US agency Possmanda went through.

We have been trying and have had several cancelled IVF cycles due to my low ovary reserve and my age 42, nearly 43.

I would be most appreciative if you provide us with the name of the agency in the US that deal with the SA donors.

Thanks so much,
Bubdream

Edited by Scouter, 16 August 2012 - 01:17 PM.

#58 pisces00

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:07 AM

please inbox me your details - i can find you a donor here in australia. Save your money you dont need to go overseas.

#59 shelleylynn33

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:43 AM

Hi my name is Shelley and I live in the u.s. and to the family's in need of eggs I have 4 kids my youngest is a year old now and my eggs are still good and would love to help someone out. So please if you want of need my help here I am.

#60 Bubdream

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (Scouter @ 14/08/2012, 04:24 PM)
14827839[/url]']

Hi scouter
I can't see your post?
RegardsBubdream 😊

#61 Bubdream

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (pisces00 @ 15/08/2012, 06:07 AM)
14829446[/url]']
please inbox me your details - i can find you a donor here in australia. Save your money you dont need to go overseas.

Hi Pisces00
I have been trying to inbox you but the message won't go through? Can you send me A message please and I will reply to it?
Many thanks Bubdream 😊

#62 Plimpy

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE (LisaDD @ 07/05/2012, 04:15 PM)
14556226[/url]']
Hi there. I'm in Perth WA and currently researching overseas egg donation. I've tried IVF for over 10 years with no luck and now just turned 40 so it's time to step it up (not give up!). My fs is not keen on egg donors so I need to find one that is prepared to work with an overseas fertility centre. Can anyone recommend a consultancy or fs in WA? Thanks.

Hollywood fertility has a relationship with cape fertility and help with blood test and medication etc. We went through them and now have a beautiful little boy.

#63 scorpio2010

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:09 PM

Hi

Concept in perth ( subiaco) will also work with cape fertlity in SA - Scans,BT and medicine requirments
to be honest they are also a little cheaper than hollywood

Good luck

#64 Bubdream

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

QUOTE (Plimpy @ 28/08/2012, 01:34 PM)
14865704[/url]']
Hollywood fertility has a relationship with cape fertility and help with blood test and medication etc. We went through them and now have a beautiful little boy.

Hi Plimpy
    Thanks for the info. Did you deal with Hollywood Fertility or cape fertility direct? we are hoping to go through Cape fertility mainly due to the cost being so much cheaper than the US however if possible we would like to choose our donor by being able to view both child and adult pics. Is this possible? Can you provide me any more information?Many thanks Bubdream

#65 Juzzy7193

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

Hello, I am almost 42 and been down the IVF path with no luck.  We have started looking into overseas egg donation, and was wondering if anyone has used donor eggs from the USA, and if so, where did you go?  I am keen to look into the US after I read a post a few months back from Sally08 (I think it was Sally08).  Any suggestions will be greatly welcomed.  Thailand is also an option we are looking into, as it is closer to Australia than Europe.  Many thanks, Juzzy

#66 spring08

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:17 AM

Hi Juzzy, I had also done a number of rounds of IVF (>10 stims), with no luck. Our FS recommended a clinic based in Hawaii due to high success rates, and also travel. They were responsive, answered all my questions quickly and the process was quite fast. We were able to see donor profiles and pics, and I'm 5.5 months pg now after the first tfr. Plus a holiday in hawaii was a relaxing bonus!
all the best and PM me if you'd like any further info

#67 Whack

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (Bubdream @ 31/08/2012, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Plimpy
    Thanks for the info. Did you deal with Hollywood Fertility or cape fertility direct? we are hoping to go through Cape fertility mainly due to the cost being so much cheaper than the US however if possible we would like to choose our donor by being able to view both child and adult pics. Is this possible? Can you provide me any more information?Many thanks Bubdream

Hi, can hopefully add another success story to this forum. We had 3 unsuccessful IVF attempts through Hollywood who recommended we consider using an egg donor through Cape Fertility. After some soul searching, we chose a donor from Egg Donation SA (who were great) and thought what did we have to lose? At the very least, we'd have a great holiday! We were over there for nearly three weeks for initial treatment. Our 27  year old donor gave us 21 eggs - 10 that made it to 5 days. We transferred 2 and came back to find back to find out we were elated to find ourselves pregnant but we were unlucky as found out it was an ectopic at 7 weeks and lost both my tubes. It may have been the best thing in hindsight, and we were lucky enough to go back to again (only for 5 days) for a frozen transfer and now we are 14 weeks pregnant with twins, came back to Hollywood for pregnancy support and now off seeing an Obstetrician. After 3 natural pregancies (all miscarriaged), 2 ectopics and no tubes, we are expecting twins and everything is going great so far.

#68 shesue

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:09 PM

Hi does anybody know of any decent agencies and at a good price, where the donors are not anonymous.  I'm assuming the US is our only chance if we don't want anonymous.  We would like to give the child some details of the donor and give them the option of meeting them when they are older if they wish to do so.  Thanks

#69 louisem

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE (pisces00 @ 05/10/2011, 06:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the 7.30 report on ABC are looking for couples who are considering going to Athens to use a donor from one of the clinics there and would allow them to follow your journey - if interested please contact me on via PM.

Hi there, I actually went to the clinic in Athens (I think there is only one there) and I'd be very interested to follow up on the ABC's proposed program...
Do you have any details? Should I just try to contact the ABC?
Do you happen to know when the program is/was being made?
I really loved going to Athens - it was a very hard journey, ended up quite expensive in terms of overall costs including travel, but boy, am I glad - I am now blessed with triplet boys.
Any info on the ABC program would be very much appreciated.
Regards

#70 Maddy41

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:54 AM

Hi there, I am wondering if anyone here has been to Thailand for their DE? We used to live there, so we are familiar with Bangkok, the international hospital system etc. But we haven't met anyone that has received Thai DE...

#71 shelly1170

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

Hi Maddy41!

I'm actually in Bangkok at the moment.  I have just today received the second blood test results for my second embryo transfer and it's looking good!

I used a Thai donor.  I am happy to answer any questions you have and put you in touch with the clinic if you PM me.

#72 Plimpy

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE (Bubdream @ 31/08/2012, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Plimpy

Sorry just came back to the thread. I'm sure you've sorted something by now but we went through Hollywood as we transitioned from IVF to egg donation. We went through egg donation SA. I didn't find the site that showed adult photos ( would have liked too). Having said that we chose a donor who only had photos of her children and have no regrets.On another note. We are planning to go back for FET next year and Hollywood have basically said they can't coordinate things as the government doesn't approve. Anyone else had this problem? For that reason I wouldn't recommend Hollywood.

#73 emski72

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

the agecy that shows adult photos is Global Egg Donors out of the  US.

thanks
Emma

#74 laura010

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:15 AM

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully I can get some advice anyway.

I am looking at going to the USA for fertility treatment. I was just wondering if anyone actually did this?
If you did, how did you go getting a US visa and travel/medical insurance?
Thanks in advance.

#75 Maddie#105

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:12 AM

Hi I'm about to start this journey of egg donation over seas, we are going to South Africa Cape Fertility. Has anyone been there or can anyone give us some advice and what to expect please

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.