Does your milk come in faster the 2nd time around?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 *mnm*

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:03 PM

For those who BF their first baby, when you had #2 did you find your milk came in faster, the same time as with #1 etc etc

DS self weaned and I am now left with colostrum, after this baby is born I shouldn't have too many problems with milk coming in, supply etc?? Looking for your experiences pls  original.gif

#2 emily~and~girls

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:14 PM

just had my second (though it was a cs this time) milk didnt come in earlier but my supply got bigger quicker IYKWIM

The bigger difference was the first time i think the breast tissue was changing from fatty/pre bf type tissue to bfing capable tissue - and so they started to feel and look quite different. and they never went back to the pre bf feel
i think this time becasue that has all happened before, my boobs seem to just have more time to make milk....!

#3 *mnm*

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for your reply Emily, I was hoping it would be something along the lines of 'been there, done that' regarding function and supply etc. Fingers crossed we don't have any attachment problems and we will hopefully have a happy BF 'career'  laughing2.gif

Congrats on your new baby BTW!

#4 Guest_chntlrose_*

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:24 PM

For me, my milk did come in earlier but I think it was because DS2 wasn't off the boob for the first day! My milk came in on the 2nd day and with DS1, my milk came in on the 4th day.

My advice is to just put bub to the boob as often as they want. Don't listen to midwives who say it should be 3 or 4 hourly. DS2 was a 2 hourly feeder for the first few weeks and altho it was tiring at times, it meant I had (and still have) an awesome milk supply.

#5 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:27 PM

2nd time around, milk came in quicker but wasn't as over-the-top either.  Although obviously boobs did get bigger, they didn't explode into the size of watermelons, for which I am eternally grateful. And my body adjusted a lot better when baby dropped feeds (thank goodness, it used to kill me for days when DD#1 dropped a feed).  Also, I had issues with a gushing flow for DD#1 (super fast) but it seemed to be a bit less chaotic with the second child.

Still had a few issues with breast feeding the second child but in our case, it was MUCH better the second time around.

Good luck with it!

#6 samshine

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:49 PM

For me, it came in much faster the second time, around 24 hours.  He was born at 10pm and the next night my boobs were full and rock solid, as opposed to taking 2-3 days with my first.

DS was very unsettled the night he was born so fed and fed and fed, then went 1-2 hourly all the next day, which is why I initially thought it came in early.  I actually expected it to take longer as he was an emerg CS, done under general and so I though that would slow things down.  But he was a big baby (4.4kg) fed constantly, and one of the midwifes the first night did comment she thought he was in a hurry to get the milk in because he was so hungry.

Interestingly, I have since learnt that breastfeeding in the first day isn't the main regulation of initiation of milk production.  When we deliver our placentas, certain hormones drop suddenly triggering the production of milk, so the initial milk production is hormonally driven. This is why milk comes in whether or not you have started bf'ing.  It is not until after the first few days that it becomes milk driven - where supply demand comes in, so I have no idea why my milk came in the second time as early.  

If it helps, mnm, I found the complete breastfeeding experience much easier the second time round!

Good luck with the feeding

#7 KnightsofNi

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:04 PM

I only BF DD for a month, nearly 2 years ago. DS was born 13 days ago and my milk came in at 48 hours, even though I had ceaser. So definately earlier.

#8 *mnm*

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for all the replies  original.gif I am so glad to hear that it could possibly be easier this time, nothing beats BF your first screaming baby  ffear.gif Hopefully this time the milk will come in a bit faster and we will be able to settle right in.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences, I agree with you samshine because I wasn't able to feed DS for the first few days after having him and my milk came in regardless!

#9 ShoshieRu

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:48 AM

I love your BF pic, OP original.gif

My milk took longer to come in the second time round - I suspect because my c/s was more traumatic than the first, and DS was in the SCN for 8 hours before I could even hold him, let alone feed him. It didn't help that he kept losing weight (from his rather sizeable birth weight of 4.3kgs!) and so the midwives kept pressuring me to comp feed - I suspected that if I held out on that the milk would finally come in and he would stop losing weight. So after having to sneakily throw formula away for several days in the hospital, my milk came in with a bang, and DS started regaining weight rapidly!

#10 *mnm*

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:46 AM

I love your BF pic, OP

Thankyou  original.gif I was sorting out baby pics of Oliver to make a new album for this little Peanut and came across the BF pics, after a few tears of sadness that we no longer share that 'bond' I decided to make it my sig for a while  wub.gif

I am sorry to hear you had a hard time ShoshieRu, good on you for the 'sneaky formula trick', I didn't even know I had a baby for the first couple of days so had no idea what he was being fed! When I came out of all the general anesthetic and transfusions they just assumed I would keep bottle feeding him until I said "Ahh I would like to at least try!" I have heard about weight gain being a problem and being pressured to comp feed etc and of course SCN issues (which my SIL has just dealt with from her premmie having low blood sugar etc) so I guess I will have to take that all as it comes and hope that if the problems do arise I am strong minded enough to stick it out like you  original.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.