I need a body moisturiser without the nasties

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 somethingstupid

Posted 06 November 2010 - 02:18 PM

Michaidy..i notice that this was your first post, just joined, and critisize some good companies quite strongly, and then finish with what is close to an advertisment for another. It looked like forum seeding for Miessence but apologies if i am wrong.  

I do think you need to learn a bit more about ingredients before you get up on your high horse with advice to others. None of the companies you talk about put anything in to harm you. Why would they? Do you think they are nasty people? They make the best products they can. They all started out at home making products themselves and got popular. Try it one day before coming out as an expert.

First with Billy GOats soap and Titanium Dioxide. You say these companies "are pulling the wool over inncocent eyes who are just trying to do the best for their families". What rubbish. Billy Goat Soap was started by a mum for her own kids. Titanium Dioxide, if you bother to research past Google, is natural. straight from the ground. It is totally inert.  It is also in your toothpaste so you are probably eating it, its in chewing gum, natural sunscreens and other things, but you claim Billy Goat Soap is poisoining you because they might have some in their soap.  Its inert. Just because it has a funny sounding name doesnt mean its nasty. I bought some Billy Goats soap after i saw them on A Current Affair and amazingly..I am STILL ALIVE!

You slam Moogoo for one ingredient in one product (that is also safe if you bother to do a bit more research PAST google and all of their other products use an organic preservative). They are one of the few companies that lists all of their ingredients on the website. Most other companies only put the good looking ingredients on there. I've used their products before and it worked great for me and they were friendly when i asked them a question so for you to pick one ingredient that you don't like or understand and rubbish them while promoting another seems a bit much.

Sukin use Phenoxyethanol in most of their lotion products. Its just hidden a bit more under the "organics". Congrats to Sukin for also having the courage to list all their ingredients on their website. That preservative is used in many natural products. Face it, which would you prefer, a bit of preservative or your lotion contaminated with bacteria? Why do you not write and ask Sukin why they choose to use Phenoxyethanol so you get their side of the story before ranting? I am sure they have a good reason and its not to poison us.

The fact is that natural products are a food. Food goes off. Just think about it, would you put a few oils, mix it with water and aloe and put it in your bathroom for 6 months then wipe it on your face? Unless you want to be slathering bacteria over your kids with broken skin, then they all need to be preserved somehow..if the company is being responsible they will put their preservative on the label. But they are there. Maybe make your own skin care at home so you can learn a bit more about how quickly things go off before critisizing others.

Then you come out strongly in favour of Miessence. They are also a good company too in their own way although I don't use them because for me they are over-priced and the ingredients don't seem to be complete. I mean if we could really make a foaming cleaning shampoo from a bunch or organic oils then why don't we all run into the kitchen and make our own from olive oil and aloe vera? But others may like it they have been successful so well done. The preseravtives are not shown on their website but that doesn't mean L'Oreal are being nasty by using a preservative, maybe just more factual in stating what their products really contain.

I am sorry, but it really annoys me that you come out and accuse other people (most of companies you mentioned were started by mums) of "pulling the wool over your eyes" because you did a quick Google search and believed the first thing you read. I can find a website that says that vapour trails in the sky is the governement sparing chemicals on us, but i don't go on a rant about it and take it as gospel. Thats assuming that you weren't out there promoting a particular brand.

If you have a problem with something a company does, why not write to them and ask why they use it? Everything they use is to make a better product, they don't buy an ingredient just to hurt their customers. So get the whole story please before you rant please. And support good companies doing their best. They are all doing their best in my opinion.

Edited by somethingstupid, 06 November 2010 - 07:47 PM.

#27 namie

Posted 06 November 2010 - 03:46 PM

Perfect Potion also have a great range of nice moisturisers. I've linked the green tea and jasmine one as I couldn't find the lovely vanilla one on their online store, but they list their shop locations too.

When I was last instore I bought a tub of 100% Shea Butter for $19.95 and it is fantastic! I'm using it on my tummy now and it is so wonderfully moisturising without being smelly or sticky.

ETA: I didn't look hard enough! Vanilla Bean Double Cream

Edited by namie, 06 November 2010 - 03:49 PM.

#28 Gurt

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:39 AM

So I have done some research and yes, Natural Instinct are under investigation by the ACCC http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/868614
  • Natural Instinct did not include sodium laureth sulphate (plant derived), cocamide DEA, cetrimonium chloride and citric acid as ingredients on the labels of some of its products, as required by the Trade Practices (Consumer Product Information Standards) (Cosmetic) Regulations 1991 (the Standard).
  • Natural Instinct did not list ingredients in the order required by the Standard.
  • Natural Instinct did not correctly name certain chemicals and ingredients, as required by the Standard.
The ACCC also expressed concern that statements by Natural Instinct that its products are “made with/from 100% pure oils and certified organic herbs” may be misleading or deceptive because they imply that the products contain significant amounts of herbs and oils, when certain products only contain 0.2% to 0.6% of herbs and oils.

So if you want something purely natural, I would steer clear of them as well.

As for Phenoxyethanol, it has a rating of 4 on the cosmetic safety database. It is a better alternative from what I have read but some have their doubts, however, it is often used in a very low concentration in cosmetics.A lot of natural companies use it.

I just ordered MiEssence samples but "something stupid" may have a point (ie: how are they preserved?). They do have a use-by. Their site says
What do you use to preserve your products if you do not use chemicals?
Miessence products are preserved using a natural and organic preservative system, which includes our proprietary blend of steam-distilled aromatic derivatives of natural herbs, leaves and twigs. The stability of our unique products is supported by long term, real-time stability testing, microbiological challenge testing, analysis of types of packaging in use, assessment of the potential for microbial contamination, reviewing analytical data from suppliers, quality control testing of raw materials and finished products, ensuring our manufacturing facilities minimise exposure to contaminants, understanding consumer habits and practices, and, importantly, our R&D director's extensive experience with her home-grown, unique formulations.

I do want my products preserved in some shape or form really, who wants rancid products on their skin? I hope these are ok! Seems like you cannot go right anywhere sometimes LOL.

Edited by Gurt, 12 November 2010 - 09:58 AM.

#29 somethingstupid

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:42 PM

It is hard to know. With Miessence preservatives, what exactly is a steam-distilled aromatic derivatives of a twig? Sounds a bit mumbo jumbo. If all it took was some steam distilled twigs etc to preserve a product then why do larger companies with whole R&D departments not come up with something like that themselves so they don't have to deal with the bad PR? Miessence are so expensive due to the pyramid selling style sales model which needs very high retail margins. But I think if money was no problem, then their products are natural.

Be careful with using EWG SKin Deep Cosmetic Database for information. On it Sodium Chloride (Table Salt) has some results that would alarm anyone who didn't know it was just salt. It says "One or more animal studies show sense organ effects at low doses", One or more in vitro tests on mammalian cells show positive mutation results" and "One or more animal studies show skin irritation at moderate doses". As a source, they name only the entire publication, sort of like saying "it was in the Daily Telegraph" rather than the study so it is impossible to check and not very scientific. Basically they put virtually everything on there as bad, presumably so it comes up in a Google search more often.

The best thing I always find is to write to the company to ask. If they don't answer they don't deserve the business anyway, and often you can get the full story.

#30 Gurt

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:44 AM

I agree, it sounded a bit strange to me as well. They appear to have quite a few advocates of their product (they may be reps though) so obviously it isn't causing too many problems, but I have been looking into A'kin as well, so far I have found the MiEssence moisturiser to be not nourishing enough for my very dry skin.

Funny you should mention the CD in that view. I remember a statement by Estee Lauder that they would not sign their agreement as they often blow things out of proportion and whilst in some cases they may, I also believe a lot of companies are using some products that may not be the best to use, why otherwise do they find ways of hiding some ingredients?

I will definately start writing to companies in future, a terrific idea. Thank you so much for your kind advice.

#31 kissy10

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:02 PM

PM me, I can help you!

#32 susan963

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:28 AM

what type of skin of you?moisturizer works on your skin.

#33 Praetor VitaeChel

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:00 AM

Another huge fan of Moogoo products here. DS and I have Eczema and we use their Eczema Balm, Shampoo, Conditioner, Milk wash, MSM cream, Udder and Full cream moisturizers, Nappy Balm, Mudder Udder Balm (for breastfeeding mums), lip balms and oil face wash. I have also tried deodorant and rose hip oil, but not as big a fan of those. They work ok tho. Oh and also used their Age cream and it is really good too! They are always great with orders and super helpful.

DH also likes Sukin's face moisturizer.

#34 Jekaho

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:19 AM

Another Moo Goo lover here.

#35 New Sparkles

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:54 PM

Jojoba.

You can search them online and order products that way, or they also list chemists in Australia who stock odds and ends of teh products. I was very impressed with the quality, product and price.

Intersting comments.

#36 poppy100

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

I like the A'kin body moisturiser.  It is  for sensitive, allergy prone and fragile skin.
Their website is called the Purist Company.

#37 Aliena

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:54 AM

Have you ever try milk as a moisturizer? If no then must use it. According to me milk is most effective moisturizer. And having no side effects. So must try it.

#38 Chaos in stereo

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:55 AM

Edited by Chaos in stereo, 26 August 2013 - 04:09 PM.

#39 I'veGotTheBook

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:53 AM

Moogoo or sukin. Sukin is relatively cheap and available at chemists. And smells divine!

#40 Abernathy

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:34 PM

You guys seem well informed......so what is a safe sunscreen for kids?

#41 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:57 PM

I'm sure the spammer who is posting on a zombie thread can tell you ;)

Start a new thread perhaps abernathy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.