September 05 Parents # 396

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
124 replies to this topic

#51 Titania

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:14 AM

Holy smeg! hehehe. original.gif

Oh, I have to answer stuff like that from Lor, but only if he 'hears' it, not reads it LOL. L's not good at drawing, or writing. He's exceptional at talking though... non stop... wink.gif

What Leo's doing is exactly what G used to do. Now G pretends he's writing, and  makes squiggles etc - he stays in the lines though.

Ordered my new glasses yesterday. Insurance covers $300, so am $200 out - better than $500 though.

#52 Kay1

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:28 PM

Funniest one is that ad about cankles. The chemist near us has huge posters saying "HAve you got Cankles?" and he keeps asking me if I have them, what they are etc. laughing2.gif

#53 ~*Sharon*~

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:22 PM

Kay - that is great news (of sorts).

T - Hannah could draw well at that age (faces and shapes)... but Toby still does scribbles.  Hannah is still really good with drawing and writing (not insanely advanced, but it is one of her stronger areas).  At kinder, looking at a display of kids work, hers is fairly easy to pick, as she tends to use a lot of colours, and do very "complete" pictures, so with a sky and grass with flowers, as well as people and a house, etc.  Meanwhile, one of her friends work is easier to pick out because she is very precise, which Hannah isn't to the same extent.  Her people are much better scaled for example, which Hannah doesn't pay as much attention to.

We got Hannah's CAPD results back.  Apparently the area that has to do with her ability to process what is said to her is limited to about 7 - 8 words, BUT it said that it does actually fall into the normal range for a child her age (at the very lower end).  From the report, though, it does not seem to match her development in terms of speech - as in, her speech and conversational ability is quite high, but her ability to process what is said to her is quite low.

Still, it is a good outcome - she may struggle a bit, but it is not a full blown problem.

BUT.  There is a but.  Her distinguish sound from background noise IS really bad.  So this is causing issues for her, and means that she will struggle in places like kinder or in the classroom if the problem is not being addressed.

So thankfully her issue is more focussed around the manageable part (background noise) than the ability to actually take in what is said to her.

OK - I have to get back to work.  DH's job change coming on top of me not working while caring for Toby has left us rather broke, so I am trying to get everything sorted out to get this years tax money!

#54 Kay1

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:42 PM

Also good news (of sorts) Sharon. Will she be doing a listening program then? Our OT gave me the info about that as we were considering it for Nate but decided he didn't need it. It involved headphones and cds of various sounds etc. It sounded very interesting I must say.

#55 ~*Sharon*~

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:53 PM

Kay - we have a copy of one called Fast ForWord, which is a computer program, which requires different responses to different sounds.  DH actually picked up a copy ages ago from a person he worked with, but it just happens to be used with kids with CAPD.  Kinda glad we scored a freebie copy, though (it is an older version) as it normally retails for some huge amount (I think it is around $1000!)

#56 Titania

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:09 PM

Hmm.... DH and I were talking again about L's hearing tonight. I think it's an age and attention thing - or I had been... but DH thinks it might be more than that. I wonder if it could be similar to this?

Sharon - girls are 'known' to be normally more advanced than boys in the whole drawing thing- just one of the differences of the way the brain works - but the girls the same age or slightly older as G at FDC - either have no interest in tracing shapes etc, or are not as good at it as him. When he draws faces - he draws the eyes, then the pupils inside the eyes (so two rings, or one ring and colors a middle bit for the pupil), nose, and mouth either open smile, or closed. So it sounds like he's not just advanced 'for a boy', but generally. I dunno, I never remember any of the little boys I've looked after in the past doing this at this age. He can also do simple sums - like adding between 1 and 4. I just realised that - am just used to him doing it.

Does anyone else think it's ridiculous that he's still going to speech therapy? He has easily 6 or more word sentences - comes out with complex ideas and words - understands everything (only too well) - but just doesn't get his hard consonant sounds right in the middle of words - like 'popper' etc - or at the end - like drop. But when I work with him - he easily goes from 'doddy' to 'doggy'. I think it's all a bit of overkill - and I don't want to push him...

#57 ~*Sharon*~

Posted 04 July 2010 - 02:13 AM

T - My only real reference point for a "drawing" kid is Hannah.  Toby is happy just scribbling, although he is starting to draw a bit more deliberately... but he still hasn't grasped the fact that pictures are supposed to look like things. lol.

But Hannah was like Griff - she was actually good-good at it.  When we went OS just before she turned 2 (which is my only real reference point that I know an actual age for) she could draw a circle, a triangle, and a square. She could also draw a flower.  At the time I didn't think so much of it, but now having a child who doesn't draw, I can see that it actually was pretty good.

But if you were to take Toby as a more typical example of a 2 1/2 year old boy, then Griff is doing fantastically!

No idea on the speech thing.  Toby talks in full sentences, and pronounces his words quite clearly (although he has a very baby voice, so it sounds quite funny).

This is a clip from when he was in hospital with asthma a few weeks back.  He was still struggling to breath  properly, so he was not talking a lot, but you can hear how he forms his words (in particular at the end).

http://flic.kr/p/88HJXX

ETA - T - I think you are right that it is an age/attention thing.  A combination of that and him being a bright/well spoken child.  When we were discussing this with the Audiologist before Hannah was actually tested she commented on Hannah's level of speech, and that it often leads to people expecting them to be capable of taking in more than what they actually can at that age.  If there was a bigger issue, I think that you would both be much more aware of it, and it would have been raised by other care-givers as well.

With Hannah, we can give her very clear instructions, face to face, so we have her full attention, and if we ask her to repeat them she won't be able to, or she will get them wrong.  And I am talking simple instructions, like "can you put your PJs on your bed and find your shoes, please."  And not occasionally - it is constant.  And even then, on Language Intake Processing alone, she is does make it into the normal range.

Based on our experiences with Hannah, and knowing that you are attentive parents, and follow your children's development closely, I really think that if L had an auditory processing issue, it would have been much more obvious by now.

Edited by ~*Sharon*~, 04 July 2010 - 02:32 AM.

#58 ~~Lynny~~

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:33 PM

Quiet in here!

havent really got time to post - just popping my head in for a sec to say waves.gif

Kids are good - keeping me on my feet! wacko.gif but it's not as bad as I thought it would be with three..  Bubs has been a breeze so far - past experience helps! Tounge1.gif  

Poor Em has been coughing her lungs up for a week now..  had a horrible feeling it mightve been whooping cough cos thats doing the rounds at CC atm glare.gif  Took her to the drs this morning and it ended up being bad bronchitis but just for bubs safety he ordered that a swab of her throat be done - what a joy that was ninja.gif  so she's on AB's and ventolin with the nebuliser thingy (Any tips on how to make her first experience with this pleasant??)  Dr said it doesnt have to glued to her face, as long as it's close to her nose so she can still breathe it in..   Getting the AB's into her is near impossible - had to pin her down while DH's squirted the stuff down her throat.  Holding down 17kgs of red headed toddlerness is HARD! ffear.gif

bah gotta run sorry..  stop over at coles, then some firewood for tonight - I love fireplaces wub.gif

#59 butterflies

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:02 PM

Sounds like you are doing well Lynny

Does bribery work for her yet? lollies, chocolate toys etc.  what ever works.

and the best way to hold a child down is sit on the floor yourself with the childs head between your legs facing the same way with your legs over their arms.  yes I'm a cruel mummy

Fingers crossed girls, Alannah has had 3 chiro appointments and now 4 dry nights in a row!! woo hoo!!

#60 Kay1

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:46 PM

Go Alannah!! Let's hope that's it for wet beds!!

Lynny - Well done you on going so well. original.gif I use Karina's method too - or the knee on the chest which is what I have to do to change/dress Leo. Has Em not had antib's before? My kids have had them so often they see the bottle and come begging LOL. If they see any syringes lying around they suck on them.....unsure.gif actually that's a really terrible habit. sick.gif

Better go, lazy day inside today - raining and cold.

#61 ~~Lynny~~

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:23 PM

thanks original.gif  

Does bribery work for her yet? lollies, chocolate toys etc. what ever works.

used to but she's too stubborn now..

Emily used to be a syringe sucker too blush.gif but 2 days ago she started having a coughing fit while she was sucking on the syringe which made her choke a bit and eventually spew so now she wont go near them ddoh.gif  The ventolin is the worst! the machine is so noisy (tried to give it to her before when she was asleep) - I had to pin her down on the floor and she screamed the roof off - neighbours are going to call DOCS on me! ninja.gif

#62 Kay1

Posted 08 July 2010 - 05:41 PM

sad.gif

Sucks when the one person you can turn to lets you down. Sorry that's all. Just disappointed with my mum atm.

#63 mirandarine

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:43 PM

Oh dear Kay sad.gif That is awful. I dont know what else to say. *hugs*

Karina- YAY Alannah! And YAY for you! Well done!

Lynny- Poor Em sad.gif I hope she gets better soon.

AFM- 9 year old moodiness is doing my darn head in! GRRRRR

#64 Titania

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:08 AM

Really, really quickly... sorry..

Lynny - why the nebuliser and not a spacer? Spacer's so much easier, and very efective (the mostly use them in the hospital these days) and really, we've only ever used our nebuliser if it's been really very serious.

#65 Kay1

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:15 AM

Thanks Miranda, just having a sook LOL.

T - We use a spacer too (not that we need it often but just now and then). It is pretty easy. I never knew what a nebuliser was though so I always assumed it did something different.

Hmmm....waiting for Leo to wake up!

#66 ~~Lynny~~

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:02 AM

T -  I think he wants to treat it as if it's the worst case scenario for the baby's sake? He talked about a spacer and I was happy to go with that because I've used one on Damian before when he was little and it worked well.  But then towards the end of the appointment he said he'd much rather go all out and treat her as if she's got full blown whooping cough because the treatment is almost the same but a bit more effective/stronger or something to that effect. If the throat swab comes back positive then he wants to start the baby on a treatment plan and the rest of the family has to go on AB's.. if it comes back clear then he might ease up on the nebuliser?  

gotta run - kids are killing each other wacko.gif

Edited by ~~Lynny~~, 09 July 2010 - 10:31 AM.

#67 Titania

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:21 AM

Hmm... I'm not sure how ventolin would be helping it if it were whooping cough anyway. Odd... Sorry - flat out...

#68 ~*Sharon*~

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:58 PM

Can I be really annoying and ask for people to vote for my photo in this competition:

http://www.shootbaby.com.au/blog/?p=70

Mine is the second one (the photo of Toby that is in my sig).

The competition is for a newborn posing bean bag.  This has been something I have planned to get for ages, but with the sh*tty year we have had, I really just can't afford it, and money is going to get tighter before it gets better. ohmy.gif(  I am just setting up the new studio at the moment (like literally -  have been working on it today, and am getting back to it shortly) so the timing of this could not be better!

Thanks!!

#69 Kay1

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:34 PM

Done Sharon. original.gif I love your photo but it was hard to go past #1 LOL. Good luck, I hope you win.

#70 ~*Sharon*~

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:30 PM

Thanks Kay!

I actually don't like 1 - only because I have issues with the safety of posing newborns in less than secure positions for the sake of a photo!

Edited by ~*Sharon*~, 11 July 2010 - 09:30 PM.

#71 Kay1

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:49 PM

Yes good point. I was hoping it was photoshopped.

#72 ~*Sharon*~

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:52 PM

I think it might be a composite (two photos combined) as the fence seems to change colour at the back... but it still doesn't really make me any more comfortable.

#73 bellemae

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:51 AM

Done Sharon original.gif

#74 ~*Sharon*~

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:33 AM

Thanks Bel!

I was ahead yesterday, but I have dropped off today. ohmy.gif(

#75 ~~Lynny~~

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:44 PM

done!  original.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.