Homeopath
Whats your experiences with Homeopathy

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#26 Octopus

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:07 PM

Edited by Octopus, 10 January 2011 - 08:55 PM.

#27 chamillia

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:09 PM

ikt - how do you explain homeopathic provings, I have seen them myself when I have given my children the wrong remedy.
How does a bruise disappear before my eyes after I give my child arnica? Oh yeah, it would have done that anyway, right?
Those who defend homeopathy usually do so because they have had amazing results. I don't really care when people are so against it, I thought it was bs myself until I tried but you really are missing out on something that can help in so many ways, Ive got about 10 doctors prescriptions from the last year I haven't needed to fill as we've treated everything successfully with homeopathics.

#28 chamillia

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:16 PM

oh and no homeopath will try and give you something to mend a broken arm. They will send you to the hospital and give you something to treat the associated symptoms - swelling, shock etc.

#29 Anne of The Island

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:39 PM

I have an initial consultation with a homeopath booked in a week or so, I have allergies and even though taking a daily antihistamine stops me sneezing I still have exceptionally dry & sore eyes and am fed up of it so am giving it a try.

I am a pharmacist, who supplies "conventional medicine", my mother used homeopathy on us as children so I have plenty of exposure to it.  I believe, as do many medically trained physicians by the way, that there is a place for complementary therapies and conventional therapies and that they should be used together where necessary not in place of one another.

This said, patients do need to be aware of informing their medical practioner of any other medications they are taking - conventional or complementary because there can still be adverse effects with complementary therapies and interactions (with each other and with conventional drugs) so it is vital to have all the information to be able to make fully informed medical judgements.  Many patients do not consider complementary therapies as medications, so when you are taking a drug history and you ask them about any other medications they are taking they leave them out.  When you question them futher - i.e over the counter medicines, herbs, homeopathy etc etc, many are taking others and are surprised that you are interested.  Occasionally the combo could be the reason for the symptom i.e. a drug interaction, it's easily fixed and prevents unnecessary procedures & treatments to investigate the cause!

I know many medically trained physcians who recommend homeopathy to their patients as well as conventional medicine.

My uncle ran a cattle farm (milk not meat) in the UK and had frequent troubles with mastitis in his herd, he had great success with homeopathic remedies in the drinking water.  I am pretty sure that the herd were not counselled as to the contents of their drinking water so this is not a placebo effect.  

Sorry, this is longer than intended I just wanted to let you know that us "conventional medicine" types can use it too!

#30 purplekitty

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:35 PM

emmaellis,
please don't use your profession as a pharmacist to imply credibility to the practice of Homeopathy. What you have is a personal belief unrelated to the scientific principles you studied.
I'd be interested to know where you obtained your degree and how they covered Homeopathy in the curriculum.

#31 Guest_**KM**_*

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:57 PM

Can we remember this is not "What do you think?", it is posted in the natural therapies section for people who have EXPERIENCED it.  Fair enough if people have had bad experiences (like le_petit_poisson shared), but this is not a thread to argue the science of homeopathy.  If you want to do that post in WDYT, but if you do a search you will find it's been done plenty of times with huge threads.

#32 VigilantePaladin

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:09 PM

I'd be interested to know where you obtained your degree and how they covered Homeopathy in the curriculum.

She didn't say that she covered Homeopathy in her curriculum. She said she was a Pharmacist and that she had an appointment with a homeopath in a week or so and was giving it a go.

Why is it so hard to believe that many people use it with varying degrees of success ?

The water/homeopathic water you are drinking is not providing you with a result, therefore you are being scammed.

Please explain how getting results equals being scammed ? You see a practitioner, spend an hour or more giving them a case history, they provide remedies based on that case history as well as presenting symptoms, you take them and results are good. You are happy with those results so how are they being scammed. A scam implies that money has been taken for providing something that will never work. Homeopathy works for countless million around the world and has done for a long time.

Why is it when a Dr prescribes ABs that don't work effectively it is ok and people go back for more of the same or different ones yet Homeopathy is criticised for being a "scam" when people who have used it on themselves, their children and their animals with great success ? Why is it so hard for the naysayers to accept this ?

#33 Guest_cathode_*

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE (anon60 @ 22/07/2010, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's called "Skelegrow" - I saw it in a Harry Potter movie.

roll2.gif

I'm amazed at the power of ENYA, baby was crying in massive pain, put on enya, suddenly everythings ok, time to start marketing enya as an alternative medicine in my opinion wink.gif

Gah. Not for me. I hear Enya and I want to jab myself in the eye with an icepick!

fwiw I have tried homeopathic stuff years ago (before I knew what it was) and they did nothing.

#34 Guest_cathode_*

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (~dancing~leaf~ @ 21/07/2010, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Vibrational medicine is very interesting.

I have been known to enjoy a bit of vibrational medicine every now and then  wink.gif

#35 purplekitty

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (SpeckledPotato  @ 30/07/2010, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
She didn't say that she covered Homeopathy in her curriculum. She said she was a Pharmacist

You are missing my point, I don't believe a pharmacist will.

#36 ikt

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (SpeckledPotato  @ 30/07/2010, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please explain how getting results equals being scammed ?
Let me compare it to say, 

A scam implies that money has been taken for providing something that will never work.

Homoeopathy in a stitch original.gif

Why is it when a Dr prescribes ABs that don't work effectively it is ok and people go back for more of the same or different ones yet Homeopathy is criticised for being a "scam" when people who have used it on themselves, their children and their animals with great success ? Why is it so hard for the naysayers to accept this ?

Because a Dr is prescribing medicine that works to varying degree's on different people depending on what problem she is specifically trying to fix.

A homoeopath is just sh*t talking you into buying some water.

QUOTE (emmaellis @ 30/07/2010, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My uncle ran a cattle farm (milk not meat) in the UK and had frequent troubles with mastitis in his herd, he had great success with homeopathic remedies in the drinking water.  I am pretty sure that the herd were not counselled as to the contents of their drinking water so this is not a placebo effect.

News of this spread like wildfire, homeopathic remedies in the drinking water is just as effective as antibiotics!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastitis_in_dairy_cattle

"This disease costs the US dairy industry about 1.7 to 2 billion USD each year.[7]"

And they haven't put this remedy into the water yet I wonder why?

Mastitis is most often transmitted by contact with the milking machine, and through contaminated hands or materials.

Or your dad separated the infected cows and cleaned the machines... no it wasn't definitely the water.

I usually treat mastitis with the 200c potency but for home use 30c will suffice. Take 30c every 30 minutes for four doses, then one dose every two hours until 50 - 60% improvement. Stop the medicine at this stage as it will continue to do its work.

I feel better already!

QUOTE (cathode @ 30/07/2010, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gah. Not for me. I hear Enya and I want to jab myself in the eye with an icepick!

I tried this but the poor thing wasn't taking to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaL9dufxcMU&#t=3m00s

I still maintain it's an acquired taste. happy.gif

Edited by ikt, 30 July 2010 - 06:40 PM.

#37 Guest_**KM**_*

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:57 PM

Cathode  I actually didn't think you'd stoop as low to come and here and make jokes about other people's choices.  I respect your reply stating you tried it and it did not work, but was the rest necessary?  Again this is not WDYT, we've done this all too many times before.  Let's respect that people post in this area to keep away from people who are negative about their choices.

#38 Guest_cathode_*

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (SpeckledPotato  @ 30/07/2010, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um, because we know how AB's work. And not all infections respond to AB's - but what  responsible Dr would do is to take a sample before giving AB's, and put patient on a broad spectrum Ab in the meantime (until results come through whether that Ab will be effective or not).
AB's are proven to work. It is just the matter of getting the right one (and correct dose) for whatever illness it is needed for.

eta... Personally speaking ... I believe that it can work for some people, because I believe in the placebo effect. Sorry guys, that is how i think it works.

Back when I bought (to try) homeopathic remedies, I had no idea that I was purchasing (at quite significant prices) water that was supposed to have a "memory" imprint in it and not an actual traditional medicine. I felt conned - even though I didn't find out till years later.

Edited by cathode, 30 July 2010 - 07:11 PM.

#39 Guest_cathode_*

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (**KM** @ 30/07/2010, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cathode  I actually didn't think you'd stoop as low to come and here and make jokes about other people's choices.  I respect your reply stating you tried it and it did not work, but was the rest necessary?  Again this is not WDYT, we've done this all too many times before.  Let's respect that people post in this area to keep away from people who are negative about their choices.

I was actually trying to lighten the mood up a bit wink.gif

If people know what they are buying, then no problem from me.

#40 Guest_**KM**_*

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:11 PM

I was actually trying to lighten the mood up a bit

Yes but the mood is sour because of people coming in here to stir, so adding to it does not help.  I respect the way you go about raising issues in the appropriate sections, please don't follow ikt who has been completely disrespectful and rude by posting in places where you know you shouldn't.

I have reported this thread to the moderator and I will continue to report the inappropriate things ikt posts ... I hope one day she/he matures and learns how to be tolerant of other people's choices even if they go against whatever he/she believes.  Tearing other people down does not make you any better.

#41 VigilantePaladin

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:24 PM

Because a Dr is prescribing medicine that works to varying degree's on different people depending on what problem she is specifically trying to fix.

Funny...that is exactly how a Homeopath/Naturopath/Nutritionist/Reiki/Acupuncturist works with their different prescriptions and treatments. Fancy that !!

She didn't say that she covered Homeopathy in her curriculum. She said she was a Pharmacist

You are missing my point, I don't believe a pharmacist will.

And let's put the rest of that quote in shall we so that people don't think you are deliberately misquoting me

and that she had an appointment with a homeopath in a week or so and was giving it a go.

Why is it so hard to understand that for many people it does work ? No body is saying it is the be all and end all of treatment and no body is asking you to try it. The OP asked for opinions from those who have tried it. Not those who haven't and have no intention of ever trying it.

Just wondered about others experience with Homeopathy?

So ikt - your opinion on Homeopathy is as relevant as mine is on formula feeding. I've never done it so cannot comment on having experience with using it.

If people know what they are buying, then no problem from me.

What makes you think any reputable Homeopath would just hand over a remedy without explaining what it is and why they are prescribing it ?

Edited by SpeckledPotato , 30 July 2010 - 07:27 PM.

#42 IamzFeralz

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:38 PM

I have in the past tried homeopathy, chiropractry and acupunture but none of them did much for the particular conditions I was having treated.

I wish I had known at the time of the debate as to their efficiency beyond placebo effect as it might have potentially saved me money.

I hope that the moderator does not remove the posts that are polite but give a counterview.  I do think its important to be informed, especially if there is a significant body of conventional opinion that questions the effectiveness of such treatments.

#43 Guest_cathode_*

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (SpeckledPotato  @ 30/07/2010, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Funny...that is exactly how a Homeopath/Naturopath/Nutritionist/Reiki/Acupuncturist works with their different prescriptions and treatments. Fancy that !!

I'm not particularly interested in getting into a anti-homeopathy tirade.
However, it does not work in the same way as antibiotics. Different antibiotics are prescribed for different ailments because not all bacteria are susceptable to the same AB's. Take a UTI for example. You do a sample, it goes to a lab. It has an anti-biotic stamper put onto a agar plate (after urine has been plated on) - the stamper puts out 8 AB discs (each a different AB). thenthe  whole thing is put into a incubator to grow. The antibiotics that are effective will show by there being a wide circle around the AB disc with no growth. The ineffective ones will have growth right up to and onto the AB disc. It is a verifiable and replicable procedure.
Most doctors prescribe Ab's on the law of averages - ie clinical backing that AB type y is more effective than AB type c for specific infection "xyz". As with everything there are exceptions to the rule.

So, it is not at all like prescribing homeopathic remedies.

What makes you think any reputable Homeopath would just hand over a remedy without explaining what it is and why they are prescribing it ?

Because I do not live in fairyland . There are unreputable practitioners in every method of employ on earth.

So I stand by what I said, if people know what they are buying (as I did not and was not told - and I was young enough to not bother researching it) then no harm, no foul.

#44 Guest_**KM**_*

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:13 PM

I hope that the moderator does not remove the posts that are polite but give a counterview. I do think its important to be informed, especially if there is a significant body of conventional opinion that questions the effectiveness of such treatments.

I haven't asked for the moderator to remove the counter experiences, just the person's post who stated they have not used it and then gone on to ridicule people who have and posting silly cartoons picking on the OP's choices.

I have in the past tried homeopathy, chiropractry and acupunture but none of them did much for the particular conditions I was having treated.

I wish I had known at the time of the debate as to their efficiency beyond placebo effect as it might have potentially saved me money.

Both chiropractic and acupuncture therapies both have solid evidence behind them.  I do understand the debate around homeopathy and again if I had no experienced it I would probably be joining in with the skeptics, but there are many natural therapies that have been proven scientifically very clearly.   I'm sorry they did not work for you, but as another pp said even people who access traditional medicine can get no results and no success, unfortunately life's just like that sometimes, it doesn't mean it does not work for the majority.

#45 VigilantePaladin

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:18 PM

However, it does not work in the same way as antibiotics.

I wasn't referring to AB's with my response Cathode. And I do understand how they work and the different types and whether they are bacteriocidal or bacteriostatic.

I was responding specifically to this

#46 Chelli

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:21 PM

Hi,
I would like to point out that as a PP has said, this is not the What Do You Think forum, it is a forum where people share experiences about Natural Therapies. If you want to debate the theories, logistics and outcomes of Natural Therapies, please start a thread in the WDYT forum where you are free to do so. Any further inflammatory posts will be removed without further notice.

Thankyou for your understanding
Regards,

#47 Anne of The Island

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (purplekitty @ 30/07/2010, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
emmaellis,
please don't use your profession as a pharmacist to imply credibility to the practice of Homeopathy. What you have is a personal belief unrelated to the scientific principles you studied.

The two were unrelated - I don't and didn't claim to be an expert in homeopathy, I was simply saying that I (and others) believe (quite different to claiming knowledge of) there to be a place for both.

I obtained my degree in Nottingham University School of Pharmacy in the UK - why?  We did not cover Homeopathy in the curriculum, which is why I have an appointment with a qualified homeopath and am not trying to treat myself.

Edited by emmaellis, 30 July 2010 - 08:38 PM.

#48 ikt

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (cathode @ 30/07/2010, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was actually trying to lighten the mood up a bit wink.gif

It worked really well ^_^ I laughed.

QUOTE (SpeckledPotato  @ 30/07/2010, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wasn't referring to AB's with my response Cathode. And I do understand how they work and the different types and whether they are bacteriocidal or bacteriostatic.

I was responding specifically to this

The problem is that you are equating homoeopathic remedies with modern medicine which I can assure you, is not a valid assertion to make.

QUOTE (~Scarlett~ @ 30/07/2010, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,
I would like to point out that as a PP has said, this is not the What Do You Think forum, it is a forum where people share experiences about Natural Therapies. If you want to debate the theories, logistics and outcomes of Natural Therapies, please start a thread in the WDYT forum where you are free to do so. Any further inflammatory posts will be removed without further notice.

Thankyou for your understanding
Regards,

Funs over time to go home sad.gif

Edited by ikt, 30 July 2010 - 08:58 PM.

#49 IamzFeralz

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (**KM** @ 30/07/2010, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Both chiropractic and acupuncture therapies both have solid evidence behind them.  I do understand the debate around homeopathy and again if I had no experienced it I would probably be joining in with the skeptics, but there are many natural therapies that have been proven scientifically very clearly.   I'm sorry they did not work for you, but as another pp said even people who access traditional medicine can get no results and no success, unfortunately life's just like that sometimes, it doesn't mean it does not work for the majority.

Well, I eventually accessed traditional medicine for those particular conditions and was successful so I don't think I was too difficult to treat.  For example, I switched to a physiotherapist and got good results within 2 weeks and lasting for a long period of time without the pain returning, whereas with the chiropractor I was going every week for months and not seeing any noticeable benefit except on the day after the treatment but having the pain return soon after.  So I felt a bit cranky when I realised that there was a debate out there as to the effectiveness of chiropractry when I could have saved my money.

I don't think most scientists would agree with your conclusion that there is solid science behind chiropractic especially the theory of subluxation and I understand that the reviews of the effectiveness of the treatment is not clear and has produced conflicting results.  I guess that held true for me.  I have a lot of friends and family who see chiropractors and I've notice that they constantly see them and their conditions seem to be very chronic.

As for the acupuncture, that is mixed too.  I understand for some conditions there have been some benefits seen but for others, such as the condition I was being treated for they were getting the same results from sham acupuncture.  The theory behind it such as freeing the blocked flow of Qi and the whole rebalancing ying and yang are not recognisable scientific concepts.

I also took Chinese herbs for a while as well, I forgot about that in my previous post.  I saw absolutely no effect.  

I think that having tried so many natural therapies and seeing no diffference or effect led to me the skeptic literature and it would seem that I'm one of the majority, not the minority for whom some of these natural therapies do not work.

I think people need to be informed that there is a vigourous debate about the effectiveness of such therapies outside of the placebo effect and that raises ethical issues because for a placebo to work, you have to convince a patient that the treatment works as a treatment not as a placebo.  

Before you think I'm completely against natural therapies I love doing yoga for flexibility and relaxation.  But that's the only thing that seems to have worked for me!

Edited to add:  Sorry Scarlett - I was still writing my post when you posted your moderator note.  I will not write any more contributions to this discussion in line with your request.

Edited by Henndigo, 30 July 2010 - 09:06 PM.

#50 purplekitty

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (emmaellis @ 30/07/2010, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The two were unrelated - I don't and didn't claim to be an expert in homeopathy, I was simply saying that I (and others) believe (quite different to claiming knowledge of) there to be a place for both.

I obtained my degree in Nottingham University School of Pharmacy in the UK - why?  We did not cover Homeopathy in the curriculum, which is why I have an appointment with a qualified homeopath and am not trying to treat myself.

Believe is the operative word. I know of a number of pharmacy courses in Australia that do cover homeopathy as an unscientific,ineffective alternative therapy. I  cannot understand that four years of science based subjects including chemistry allow you to even contemplate it being legitimate.
Please PM me with any papers you have supporting it.  I'll also leave the thread now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.