Homeopath
Whats your experiences with Homeopathy

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#51 VigilantePaladin

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:33 PM

I cannot understand that four years of science based subjects including chemistry allow you to even contemplate it being legitimate.

Then I suggest that you look at the subject listing for Naturopathy to see the depth of knowledge required.

http://www.endeavour.edu.au/courses/naturopathy/

The Homeopathy degree is being re accredited but the core science subjects are the same regardless of what modality you are doing.

#52 VigilantePaladin

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:56 PM

That's not a real college?

Umm...yeah it is. The Brisbane campus is one block from the Ekka showgrounds and has been there for many years.

#53 Octopus

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:14 PM

I don't see the problem.

It's surprising to most who know me but I am actually capable of reading words so I knew Homeopathy was hardly a foolproof science when I decided to part with my money. However, as conventional medicine had not worked I was willing to give it a go. Nobody forced me into a pyramid scheme or forced me to participate in any money separation rituals so I have nobody to blame but myself. Again, if you see results, even if it is the placebo effect it's what you came for. A persons choice to discuss their personal health with a Homeopath hurts nobody (except maybe the wallet of the person engaging the Homeopath)

#54 Guest_**KM**_*

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (ikt @ 30/07/2010, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What has that link got to do with Endeavour?  Endeavour used to be Australian College of Natural Medicine and is well regarded for their courses on naturopathy, homeopathy, acupuncture, chinese medicine, massage etc.  

Well, I eventually accessed traditional medicine for those particular conditions and was successful so I don't think I was too difficult to treat. For example, I switched to a physiotherapist and got good results within 2 weeks and lasting for a long period of time without the pain returning, whereas with the chiropractor I was going every week for months and not seeing any noticeable benefit except on the day after the treatment but having the pain return soon after. So I felt a bit cranky when I realised that there was a debate out there as to the effectiveness of chiropractry when I could have saved my money.

Yes and I had the same experience with a physio who I saw and could not help me (this is whilst seeing a doctor who also could not help me and a neurologist who told me I'd take my condition 'to the grave'.  I then saw a naturopath who did Bowen Therapy and had me walking normally in 2 visits and has been my naturopath now for 16 years and who I trust 100%.  I think it's great we have so many options out there and people can find what suits them.  There are crap people in all professions, if anyone is not getting any results then you just keep trying new things until you find what works.  I know people who swear by nothing other than chiropractors, whereas for me Bowen Therapy has the most impact ... and for you a physio.

#55 Jordansmummy

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:59 PM

Wow offline for a couple of days and come back to this sad.gif

Thanks for everyone who has shared your personal experiences good or bad.   I never wanted a debate, I was curious to hear about people experiences negative or positive.  

I am feeling pretty good, My anxiety has improved greatly, I wake up happy, I wake up looking forward to going to work.   Not sure if its a placebo or from the remedy, but hey I am willing to pay to feel this good.

I will be continuing to see the homeopath Michael Blanch in Perth and give it a go for a few months, if after a few months if I don't feel its doing that much I will stop and try something else.  I do think what is right for one person is not right for everyone, which is why I liked the homeopath approach no two symptoms are treated exactly the same and you are treated as an individual person.

Alot of pharmacies I have noticed are starting to recommend Natural alternatives, vitamins, supplements, Brauers, and also head lice treatments.   I think some professionals accept that natural treatments can work for some.  One of my GP's does acupuncture, and she is always so busy and booked up.   I think its great to try natural approaches, although I would never not go see a GP if I was sick, I am getting treatments from the Homeopath for things that a GP cannot help, and trust me they have all tried, I have suffered IBS and migraines my whole life and spent many days in Emergency.

With my Migraines, I have suffered for 20 years, I have been in hospital, MRI's, X-rays, Chiro and Physio saw a neurologist, this went on for years and nothing worked, 20 mins of acupuncture and I have never had another migraine, okay still get hormonal headaches but not migraines.  So I will also pay for acupuncture any day.  

Nothing to lose but a chance I have a lot to gain.

Thanks
Lisa original.gif

#56 localyokel

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

Thanks for  coming back and saying how you found it atm jordansmummy.  Sometimes threads take on a life of their own and its nice to get back to the origiinal concept.  Ali

#57 VigilantePaladin

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:25 PM

Great to hear that it is working for you.

When you mention that your GP does Acupuncture is she a qualified Acupuncurist  as well as a GP ? I only ask as there seems to be a growing trend of GP's doing a weekend course and calling themselves qualified acupuncturists.

Acupuncture is a four year BSc degree.

#58 VigilantePaladin

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:25 PM

Well that just shows how little the creators of that study know about how Acupuncture actually works and is an insult to those who do the years of study to gain their qualification. A weekend course is NOT enough to be a practitioner of TCM and Acupuncture.

#59 Jordansmummy

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:13 AM

I am not sure, will check next time, I was just told she was a qualified in Acupuncture, she is always very busy with Acupuncture.

#60 Brolynbub

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:49 PM

Wow, huge debate there, personally I would refer to use alternative medicine for my son and myself...
When my son was teething we used the highland teething tablets...they are the ONLY remedy that worked. Prior to using them, we tried panadol, bonjella etc. None worked except the homeopathic tablets!
I STILL recommend them to parents.

#61 reachforthestars

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:51 AM

Of course it's a real college. I'm studying there. And homeopathy is 6 years part time and includes bioscience, chemistry, anatomy, microbiology, and pharmacology.

#62 anon60

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:58 AM

I am now thirty and for the first time in my life I have not had one migraine for over a year. I suffered for nearly 20 years of migraines, I have had a couple of headaches in the last year although nothing that needed medication, just some peppermint oil on my temples, sleep and I still like monthly accupuncture.

I used to suffer the most dreadful migraines (auras, scalp tingling, vomiting) from age 15 until about 35. Not anymore though. No homeopathy or naturopathy or conventional treatments - I just got older.

Edited by anon60, 13 October 2010 - 07:00 AM.

#63 Jordansmummy

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:06 PM

Well its been a few months and I am feeling really good, anxiety under control and digestive system improving, more energy, sleeping better. I wanted to see how I went before I decided to take DD, but now I have decided to take DD she had her first visit Friday, so only early days, will be interesting to see how she goes, she gets tummy aches quite often (she is Coealic but strict GF diet) and she is quite restless and doesn't go to sleep well, she said she cant turn off her brain.... I have taken her to GPs and all they have told me to do is keep food diary and avoid foods that may cause the tummy aches, but Is so hard and I am not seeing many patterns.  Will see how we go.
I have been looking into studying myself and wow its pretty full on, it is something I can see myself studying.

#64 gabbigirl

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:21 AM

I hope people don't mind if I open this up again.  I am currently seeing a recommended homeopath for my 2 DD's.  one for skin rashes/allergies and the other for some sleeping issues.  

Just curious  as my  homeopath includes parenting advice in her advice too..the homeopath has suggested that I need to give my daughter boundaries as well..that her personality type is 'naughty'.  I am a little defensive about my daughter (29mo) as she is a little spirited and stubborn, but would this type of advice be normal homeopathic practice?  I am posting here as if I mention to anyone IRL they'll bag me for going to a homeopath and I'm just not in the mood.

I have to say the homeopath recently treated an ear infection and tonsilitis in both girls very successfully - no antibiotics and we were on a plane one week later with no issues.

#65 Guest_**KM**_*

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:06 PM

Just curious as my homeopath includes parenting advice in her advice too..the homeopath has suggested that I need to give my daughter boundaries as well..that her personality type is 'naughty'. I am a little defensive about my daughter (29mo) as she is a little spirited and stubborn, but would this type of advice be normal homeopathic practice? I am posting here as if I mention to anyone IRL they'll bag me for going to a homeopath and I'm just not in the mood.

Personally I think the homeopath is overstepping their boundaries with this.  My DH has always done counselling alongside his homeopathy (he has qualifications in both) but telling someone they have a 'naughty' child is just not on IMO.  I'd be going to someone else if that happened to me, even 'counselling' does not include judgements like that on someone's personality.  I don't use the word 'naughty' at all, I think it's a horrible word for a child!

#66 gabbigirl

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:34 PM

thank you KM.  I am thinking about what to do.  I am finding I am getting a little defensive with some of the judgements she is making re my daughter..another one was 'needy'.  2yo and needy??? ...I think that comes with the territory!  Anyways, thanks again.

#67 Guest_**KM**_*

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:40 PM

Yep I agree, 'needy' in a 2 yr old is NORMAL, very strange, sounds like she needs some 'lightbulb' moments herself and needs to read some books about gentle parenting and spirited children.  I hate putting negative labels on kids so young (well any kids really), it's not helpful to anyone.  Maybe you could speak to her and make it clear you are not seeing her for parenting advice and if she continues to you will see someone else?  Hope you figure out what to do  original.gif

Edited by **KM**, 25 November 2010 - 01:40 PM.

#68 localyokel

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:28 PM

It does seem a shame, as you mentioned you have had some great results with the homeopathy but that doesnt neccessarily mean you want someone else's parenting advice.  Maybe as KM advised let her know that you are happy with the homeopathic treatments but do not intend to take the 'parenting advice' as part of the package.  I cant help thinking that she might have some 'boundary issues' herself?  
If you dont feel comfortable, just contact the homeopathic assoc and find another nearby homeopath and change over.  Ali

#69 Jordansmummy

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:33 PM

I can understand you feel a bit defensive, although as you have said you have had good results, if it was me, personally I would be inclined to keep with it, I would take the good and ignore what you don't want to hear.   I have seen a homeopath once years and years ago, never had any results, so to find a homeopath that has given you good results it would be a real shame to walk away.  You may not find another practitioner who gives you such great results.

I agree you could maybe make it quite clear your not interested in the parenting advise.  

I have never found my homoepath to be overly friendly or nurturing, whereas my naturopath was lovely and caring and you felt like you was talking to a friend.   My homeopath is only interested in behavior patterns, personality, emotions, and physical symptoms, all help select the right remedies.  He doesn't talk that much at all, just asks lots of questions and writes everything down, every visit.  

Sometimes a symptoms or behavior might not seem like much to you but to a Homeopath all the tiny little things put together help them to find the right remedy.

But that doesn't give them to right to tell you how to raise your child.

I have had such great results with my Homeopath so far (6 months into it) and I have recently started taking my daughter to him too and cant recommend him enough.

Good luck, you must do what you feel comfortable with.  Lisa original.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.