Why would you EVER go to Ikea?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#26 HRH Countrymel

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (huncamunca @ 02/08/2010, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why would you EVER go to Ikea?

Because if you have lived somewhere where there is NO Ikea, and you've had to pay through the nose for furniture that your grandma would think is old-fashioned and horrible, you will understand the allure of clean, simple, hardwearing affordable furniture

Amen sister!

QUOTE (IrOn_BuTteRfLy @ 02/08/2010, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I second the living away from a 'local' IKEA feeling.

Online ordering!!! Never even have to step foot in there! And if there's something in the catalogue you know they have in store just use the phone!!

Yeah... well isn't that nice? There are places in this country, in fact whole states, that IKEA don't deliver to.

#27 louise3now4

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:40 PM

4 kids (aged 4 months to 6 years) and me. Meh, no big deal.
They wub.gif Ikea too.

#28 Azadel

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:50 PM

I love Ikea. Even though we accidentally picked up the wrong size bed slats, and I had to return them, all 20kg of them, by way of two train trips...

QUOTE (cathy40s @ 02/08/2010, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Timing it is all about timing.. yes avoid afternoons on weekends, get there early and have +3 kids to go in the play centre.. My kids love Ikea and generally are pretty good.

I am not so sure about having it not far away not looking forward to the traffic that will bring..

You mean Tempe? When is that meant to open, anyway?

#29 kyzie

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:54 PM

Why go to Ikea - to let the kids play in the playroom for an hour and Mummy's to have a coffee in peace..... Best place on earth! (Who needs to shop?)

#30 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:00 PM

I heart IKEA too! But it's a living hell trying to get through the place especially on a Sat or Sun. The parking at the one in Perth is shocking, and the cars spill on to the empty wasteland next door. Cars piled up on curbs and anywhere a 4WD can fit. Also who thought parallel parents parking was a good idea is a moron!

#31 clairek

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:31 PM

Ikea are the evil kings or retail psychology.  Every time I go there I plan, research and budget and every time I leave I know I have been outsmarted by them.  

We live 2hrs from Ikea so it's a mission to plan,midweek trip, day off work, kids disposed of at school or friends, so it's not like we are unprepared harassed and stressed, we are in the perfect state of mind, just apparently weak willed when looking at the $10 lamps and deciding they are such a bargain that we need to replace every lamp in the house!!!

Planning is great, but you need a cast iron resolve to resist all the temptations that they offer.

#32 ikeaqueen

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:00 PM

Looooove Ikea, go weekly usually biggrin.gif

Avoid weekends and school holidays.  Have done Ikea with two adults and six children without issue tthumbs.gif

My kids are pretty good at Ikea, they like it too.  I can dump put DS1 and DS2 in the playroom for an hour, DS3 in a trolley and DS4 in the sling biggrin.gif

If you can read a map or ask for directions you can get out of Ikea through the short cuts... My DH doesn't do either very well wink.gif

#33 cinnabubble

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE (VioletBell @ 02/08/2010, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You mean Tempe? When is that meant to open, anyway?

2011 sometime.

#34 Theophobic

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:20 PM

Why would you EVER go to Ikea? Uhhh for the free hour of daycare they provide.

What a strange post. Anyone who has ever been to Ikea knows one of if not the only defining factor in it's appeal is the fact that they babysit your kids for an hour.

I could understand if you were talking about Target mid-July or Myer on boxing day.

#35 Denghiu

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:49 PM

I grew up in the land of IKEA but the closest IKEA store was 6hrs drive away. Hence I grew up in the land of IKEA but without any IKEA furniture (I once was asked by an Aussie "but if you didn't have an IKEA, where did you buy your furniture from?"), Then I moved to Perth and ever since I have lived within 10 minutes of IKEA... now I live in the same suburb as the store and it is our local indoor playground. I'm there with the kids at least once a week. Sometimes just to eat some meatballs, actually, mostly just to eat some meatballs... with potatoes, not chips! (We always ask for potato and they always end up giving us chips, I mean who eats meatballs with chips... Australia is a strange country sometimes wink.gif )

#36 belindarama

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:55 AM

I have been to Ikea everywhere I have lived, starting with the now closed Moorabbin store which was 10 minutes away from where we lived when I was little.

I have been to stores in New York, New Jersey, LA, Hong Kong and now Sydney. The freakiest part is that they are all the same, know your way around one know your way around them all basically! They all have an individual hell though... HK it's the narrow escalator to get out. Rhodes it's the hideous car park and inadequate lifts.

It's genius but never go on a weekend unless you want to fight with every member of the family who accompanies you... a plan is a great idea but a pipe dream in our house. Also, half the fun is finding little things you didn't know you needed but now can't live without!

We are gradually replacing our Ikea furniture with grown up stuff, just our bed and one couch to go but it has served us well four years and the storage, especially the kitchen and kid stuff is brilliant.

#37 PurpleWitch

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:09 AM

Reasons to go to IKEA.

$1 hotdogs.
Swedish meatballs.
Princess frog cakes.
Free refills.
$1 hotdogs.
$1.50 chocolate bars.
Gluten free cheesecake.
Salmon salad.
Free playroom.
I meet my girlfriends there because it's central to us all.
$1 hotdogs.

#38 Stylish FM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:50 AM

PW what's the name of that condition where you keep repeating yourself?

You mentioned $1 hotdogs THREE times wink.gif

I lOVE them too  biggrin.gif

#39 ironbutterfly

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:59 AM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 02/08/2010, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah... well isn't that nice? There are places in this country, in fact whole states, that IKEA don't deliver to.

I know I live in one of those places, but I get it delivered to my SIL who just so happens to live in Perth laughing2.gif I pick it up on my '3 monthly' visits!

#40 Guest_*alpharuby*_*

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:41 AM

I hate that people take their children to IKEA. I have never ever, ever, in my 654 billion visits there, seen a well behaved child, or not been held up in the maze by a bunch of prams blocking the clearly defined path through the maze.

A list is the least of my worries, but still essential. It's all about strategising how to navigate the place and avoid the pitfalls.

I always go sans kidlets.
I only ever visit on a sunny midweek day.
Never with children and never ever ever on a rainy weekend day. I only did it once and it was worse than hell on a hot day.

Always get the meatballs from the freezer, and always get a 1 buck hotdog.

#41 mountains_girl

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

Booked in a trip for tomorrow, just convinced husband to let me have the big car so I can fit more in...

WEEEE!!!! so very very excited!

Oh and one one to deal with restaurant, additional purchases etc is to deal with it before you leave. So I already know that an IKEA is going to cost me at least $50 extra then planned - $20 for groceries, $20 for 'other items' and $10 for lunch. Now when I go home I don't feel so bad because I already factored them in. I still only buy things I will use so its not wasted money, its just redirected.

Although I think my husband mentally factors in $100 extra.

#42 Jekaho

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:29 AM

LOVE IKEA!!! At least half our furniture is IKEA.

We have taken our son a few times - but he is still quite small - I don't think we'll take him there whilst he's 2-4 years though. That's asking for trouble.

And we usually go because we have a specific thing we want to get (usually shelving of some sort). Although last time we walked out with the shelves, some storage containers and a tunnel (at my husbands begging, not our sons). In fact, our son is yet to ask for anything from IKEA. Might avoid the place to keep that going for a few years yet.

We avoid the food at all cost though. Yuck.

#43 mumbee

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:35 AM

I actually hate most of the stuff at IKEA, just not my type of furniture.

So I go there heaps.

Never buy anything - just send the littley to play in the kids stuff area, he's too little for the child minding thingo. Plus cheap food. Makes for a nice cheap day out. If I prepack a lunch it only costs me bus tickets.

I've been on the weekend and not so fun, but we did ok.

Another rule: I never go with my mother... She loves IKEA stuff and spends hours there. I don't go if I'm dependant on someone else to return home.

I have bought stuff at IKEA previously (pre baby) and I did't even enjoy going there as an adult without a kid.

But using it as a playground rocks.

#44 ecb

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:40 AM

The secret lies in going there often enough so as to a) get to know the floor plan and all it's short cuts and secret quick exits. and b) acquire a heardheartedness towards all the seemingly "I can't live without that" objects so that you can cut through it all and see the useful from the useless at a glance.  My head office for work is at the business park across the road.  Know the place like the backomeand.  It's a dream.  Whizz in, whizz out.  I even took my toddler twins there on Sun DURING the busy time and left unscathed.

#45 Anemonefish

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:54 AM

Wash your mouth out! Ikea is Mecca for those if us without one in their local area!

My thoughts exactly!  Our nearest Ikea is 1400km away in Brissy, where we go every Christmas.  I have to do at least one trip to Ikea whenever we're there and we usually have a very full car on the trip home!  I mostly buy kids furniture and storage stuff.  

Do they do internet orders now?  Off to check if they deliver to where I live....

#46 SadieMae

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

Thanks for a hilarious article! I secretly love Ikea too, especially the meatballs. But I always go with a plan. The plan tends to include the meatballs.

#47 TK421

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:21 AM

I freaking love Ikea. I go there to buy a dustpan and brush, and end up with a whole new loungeroom setting.

Just a note on using the childcare thing, I think there is a 1 hour limit. But if you have the time to line up for it, it is well worth it rather than chasing your spawn through the endless, unpronouncable items on display.

Have in mind what you want before you get there, study the map and figure out what you need from each section and go for it. Make use of the shortcuts where possible, but ensure you do not miss any departments that you need.

#48 PurpleWitch

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:53 AM

You mentioned $1 hotdogs THREE times

I know. I originally mentioned it 6 times but thought that was OTT Tounge1.gif

#49 Harlo

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:40 PM

Reasons to go to IKEA.

$1 hotdogs.
Swedish meatballs.
Princess frog cakes.
Free refills.
$1 hotdogs.
$1.50 chocolate bars.
Gluten free cheesecake.
Salmon salad.
Free playroom.
I meet my girlfriends there because it's central to us all.
$1 hotdogs.

PurpleWitch - You forgot the $3.95 chicken schnitzel and chips.

biggrin.gif

#50 ShoshieRu

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:45 PM

When I was heavily pregnant with DS I used to take DD to Ikea, book her into the free one-hour childminding activity room, go upstairs to the cafe, and eat my weight in Daim cake and read a book. It was heaven.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.