Why would you EVER go to Ikea?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#51 renx

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:18 PM

Go on a tuesday night -  there are hardly any people there, plus they restock during the day on tuesday so there's no disappointment of missing one of the components of whatever you're buying.

#52 Illiterati

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

For the meatballs.

For the stuffed rat toys

#53 ikeaqueen

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:08 PM

Cinnamon danish for breakfast... Mmmm...

Might go back tomorrow for another one biggrin.gif

And I loooove checking out As Is.

#54 BugBiEz

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:26 PM

I love Ikea for the Asis department, and the fact that I can drag DH in for breakfast go down there and make him think he's getting an even bigger bargin!  biggrin.gif

#55 hm6

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:03 PM

Ikea certainly is my DS1 & DS2's idea of hell!! - I cannot mention the name in front of my boys - I went there years ago with my mum and 4 children. By the end of the long trail my DS2 was in tears of desperation thinking he would never escape and his eyes had begun to glaze over. He was about 9 at the time. The older son was a little more stoic!! Now I just go there with my DD1 who of course loves it and trys to convince me to buy all sorts of "stuff" as my DH calls it.

#56 verde

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:04 PM

The only time I have ever enjoyed a trip to IKEA was in Spain when I realised that they had self-service (read: free) beer at the end of the ordeal. For me Centrelink vies with IKEA for the title gates of hell.

#57 Wicked Witch!!!

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:13 PM

why go to IKEA?

because I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!

#58 jenlou

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:07 AM

Not the best parenting technique but I get through it purely with bribery. First they have to be contained in the stroller, then they're allowed to grab and play with any non-breakable items as we head through the store. When we hit the checkouts, its the bribe of an ice cream to get them to relinquish their stash.

Lets not mention the budget though.....

#59 jenib

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:39 PM

You are very hard to please. When we get a spare hour or so, preferably at 4pm against the traffic, there's nothing better than a family road trip to Logan (that is a long, Bogan-ish way away from us on the Gold Coast) complete with snacks, pitt stop at Yatala Pies, then two trolleys with wide-eyed toddlers who are allowed to exit their vehicles for a quick spin on the amusements, before we're back in the car, unscathed, wallets unopened. Just love it for the inspiration, quick outing to break the domestic funk and the kids love the colour and movement. Best of all, no people there after 4pm. We even park in the parcel pick up section so we don't have to walk miles to the door! See, all it takes is some planning and laser-focus. Kids content on the way home, eat dinner, then bed. I wish every day were a visit to IKEA day!!!

#60 jenib

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:42 PM

YOU HAVE TO BE JOKING ABOUT THE MEAT BALLS!!!! They repeat for weeks, are made of polyfiller and chipboard, with that MSG sauce! Arrrrgh! We ate them once when I had our first baby (mum stocked up the freezer with a few easy-grabs from IKEA). Talk about an insult to food. The Swedes must be LAUGHING, hå hå hå hå at the rest of the world eating those hell-balls.

#61 almondandpeanut

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:47 PM

Ikea needs a inhouse divorce consultant. Puts pressure on marriages in there.
But I love love Ikea! I don't go weekend and go with out hubby!

Oh and the dime Chocolate is to die for!

Edited by almondandpeanut, 05 August 2010 - 01:37 PM.

#62 NannyZoe

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:53 PM

I love IKEA!!!!!!!!!
But hate having to drive to Richmond (loved the old Moorabbin store)
Have sent my bosses there to get a few storage items with the threat of if they buy anything extra that what I have suggest on the list, they have to pay the same ammount to me biggrin.gif (as a joke of cause but one boss nearly did pay up till she realised I was joking!!!!!!)

My favorite will always be the Kassett boxes or the Trofast!!!! best storage systems ever.......

#63 2bellaboos

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:03 PM

My first trip to Ikea was with my DH and DD who was 2 at the time, and I was pregnant. We went on a Sunday....WTF???? Why isn't there a warning at the front before you walk in the store??? It was mayhem, we went with the intention of buying her a new bedroom suite and walked out with a chalkboard!?!?!?!

For the next visit, I searched for what I wanted online, went early in the week (Melbourne Cup day none the less), no child in tow and took my mum. Ahhh, bliss. This time managed to purchase requisite junior bed, bedside table, shelving, toy storage units, toy box, kitchen and door mats.

I have total respect for the system, but you really need to go once to see how it all works and then again to actually walk out with what you want. Even though I knew what I wanted, I was still in there for 5 hours the second time around so not sure I could have left my daughter in the "creche".

#64 angel70

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (~*Rach*~ @ 02/08/2010, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love IKEA!! Our closest IKEA is a 90 mins drive away, and I regularly leave home at 7 on Saturday morning - arrive in time to eat breakfast in the cafe at 8.30.. then start shopping when the doors open at 9. I am always out by around 10, and home by 12 at the latest.  Easy!!  So Saturday isn't always a crap day to IKEA shop - you just have to get in nice and early!  

We are moving at the end of the year to somewhere without an IKEA nearby.. I have already done up a huge list of things to buy before the move.

100% agree the above tactic combined with a planned list and knowledge of the store layout and its a breeze.  Thank goodness for their website.

#65 pearlnorma

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:30 AM

I must be too much of a country hick!!!! I've never even heard of Ikea!!!! laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.