Looking to have a FET
pregnancy mentioned

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 undercoverfrostie

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:18 PM

Hi,

Im an old member but dont really want to many poeple knowing my DH and I are about to embark on a FET journey. Well actually i dont want anyone we know at all to know we are doing this. I guess probably my biggest fear is for something to go wrong.

My IVF journey started about 6 years ago. I had a BFP in Dec 06 from a round of IVF and then 3 mths after my DD was born I fell pregnant again. I kind of freaked out and my husband pretty much only wanted 2 children so he went and had a vasectomy.

now that the fog has lifted we would love to have another baby and are about to book in to have a FET.

So our embies are about 5 years old. i have a few questions if anyone can help out.

Has anyone had any embies that old thawed successfully?

What is the average cost of having a FET cycle?

Im nervous and excited at the same time. Hoping to get some support from people on line as I havent even told my best friends original.gif

#2 kitty005

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:55 PM

Hi, I just had a transfer from a FE last week.  The embryo was 2 years old and defrosted well, the cycle cost $2300, and my out of pocket ended up being $1100 (we are eligable for FTB A so our safety net limit is only $500, but keep in mind the safety net rebates are no longer 80% but are capped).

I hope it all works out for you, good luck!

#3 undercoverfrostie

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

Kitty,

Thanks for that information. Good luck with everything. I will be following your progress and hope for a BFP for you.

Those prices arent to bad. Much less than IVF. Im heading to the Drs tomorrow to get a referral so hopefully it wont be to long before I can get in to see my FS

#4 ames_78

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:57 PM

Good luck with your FS appointment and organising a FET.

I'm TTC #2 and just had my 3rd FET last week.  I'm on a medicated FET cycle and out of pocket approx $1100 (same as PP) - this includes me buying eostrogen tablets and progesterone pessaries.

The other type of FET cycle is natural.  Depends how your cycles are naturally (for me I have PCOS and long cycles naturally so wanted to do medicated FET).

You could check out the IVF website for who your FS is through as they've got price lists usually and also explains about the cycles.

BTW After DS I had 5 embies frozen - so far I haven't lost any in thaw.  They had been frozen for just over 3 years.

#5 ~Panda~

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:13 PM

I am currently doing a FET cycle now. I am so nervous as I only have 1 frosty and have to do a 12 hour round trip to my clinic. I am also doing a medicated FET cycle which puts more stress on my body.

I don't think it will matter that your frosty is several years old. They say they can be kept a life time (but are not). I wish you all the best. How exciting for you! I hope all goes smoothly.

Can the PP please PM what clinics they went to?

With my clinic I will be $1500 out of pocket for a FET (and I have PHI that covers the $400 day surgery fee) plus I had to pay about $600 all up for my puregon and pregnyl. I thought this was quite expensive as other clinics seem to be much cheaper.

ETA  blush.gif Excuse my half naked men sig. I have whipped it out for a special occassion  laughing2.gif

Edited by ~Panda~, 11 August 2010 - 09:17 PM.

#6 undercoverfrostie

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

Panda...love the sig. What better way to put a smile on your face original.gif
I see you said you need day surgery. When i had IVF we had the transfer in his office and i would have thought the FET would take place there also. Maybe thats why your costs are a little higher. Just a thought. So when are you having your transfer? Ill be hoping you are successful.

Ames...thanks for that info. Ill also be watching and hoping to hear you have a BFP. Im pretty sure id only need a natural cycle as im pretty regular. I needed the IVF because i had really bad endo and they say having babies helps clear it. So ive only had my period back for about 2 years so hopefully there isnt to much damage thats been done in that time. Although if you have a medicated FET it would probably be easier to control i guess.

Is there a buddy group for this as Id love to join so i can watch everyones progress and bounce things off you all rather than take up a thread in the wrong area

#7 ~Panda~

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:17 AM

OK, my sig is more tame now  laughing2.gif  Our wedding anniversary is coming up so thought I would change it!

No, I don't think the price is to do with day surgery as that is all covered by my PHI. I have talked to a few people and I think I go to what is known as the most expensive clinic in Sydney. I am looking at changing after this. I will be $2100 out of pocket with meds. I was $4000 out of pocket with my fresh cycle (even after my PHI covered all day surgey, etc and I was awake for the procedure, no GA). If this embryo does not thaw I am so still going to have to pay the full amount! Just for 2 u/s's and 2 BTs (which I could get most the money back for if I went on my own back).  rant.gif Not to mention the cost to get to my clinic and stay the night!

Anyway...  laughing2.gif

You could go to the AC Buddy groups. They have all different BG's I think. I wish you lots of luck. I will be tracking your progress!

#8 undercoverfrostie

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:51 PM

Happy Anniversary Panda.... you look gorgeous in that sig

Just booked my first appointment for 24th August. AF is due this weekend so will be hopefully able to get started pretty soon. Im just hoping they dont need to see both myself and my DH as he cant really get any time off work at the moment as hes just started a new job within his company and its pretty demanding.

I had a look on the website and there were no costs on there as they say they base them on individuals needs. i guess theyll tell us soon enough.

Edited by undercoverfrostie, 12 August 2010 - 12:52 PM.

#9 Mamabug

Posted 12 August 2010 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE (undercoverfrostie @ 12/08/2010, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im just hoping they dont need to see both myself and my DH as he cant really get any time off work at the moment as hes just started a new job within his company and its pretty demanding.

With our clinic, I was sent home with the paper work for DH to sign and just express posted it back to them and we were off!

PS - my first FET appointment is on 25th...

#10 ames_78

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:54 PM

undercoverfrostie - that's great you've been able to see a FS pretty quickly.  You'll have to let us know how you get on.  I'm sure it'll be fine if it's only you at the appointment - to be honest with a FET what do us women need the men for now anyway - their part is done!  biggrin.gif

Remembering back to my appointment FS wanted me to get blood tests done and also an ultrasound.

As for buddy group - I'm in the "TTC #2" group in the TTC (Buddy Group) section - great bunch of ladies! Some of trying naturally and others are on IVF or in the process of seeing FS.  Feel free to join us.  Otherwise like PP said there are groups in the AC section.

Panda - the new sig is gorgeous! Congrats on your anniversary. I'd definitely be looking around as it all adds up so quickly when you need more than a couple of cycles to conceive.

Mamabug - good luck with your appointment.

#11 undercoverfrostie

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:52 AM

what do us women need the men for now anyway

true that hehehe
I was thinking id need blood tests never thought about the ultrasound. Im hoping I dont have to have another lap. My guess is he will try a cycle first then if it fails ill have the lap and then another cycle. When i had IVF id had a lap 6 mths earlier then he put me on meds that made me go into early menopause for 5 mths so no AF until he thought I was ready for a cycle. then a month on the pill then my IVF. Im hoping because it hasnt been that long since Ive had AF back there hasnt been much damage done.

Ive had a peek at the buddy groups and wonder if i should just jump in. Im trying for #3 though so wonder if your ladies would be accepting of me.

Mamabug we can buddy up if you like. Your appt is a day after mine so we are both starting our journey at the same time. It would be nice to compare notes and follow your journey too

#12 Mamabug

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:51 PM

undercoverfrostie - happy to be a buddy! I too am in the odd situation of FETing after one IVE cycle, one FET and two naturally conceived children. Throw in one lap, end, one chem pg, one early m/c and one 12 week m/c and there you have my ob/gyn history! We are trying for #4.

Your protocol sounds VERY different to mine. With our IVF I just waited until AF, then when they told me started on the spray, then injections, then we had pick-up and fresh transfer. No luck. Then AF and natural FET. Our problems were mainly MF. I had endo which was zapped and a twisted tube due to a mitgratory bowel... go figure!

So, hopefully on August 25 I sign the paperwork. Get my bloods checked - I have a pg triggered autoimmune disorder so I need recent baseline levels. Then we wait for AF and off we go.

Desperately hoping my frosties survive the thaw.

Oh - forgot to answer the actual question!!! My clinic is $2 538.15 for a FET cycle. Out of pocket is $995.

#13 undercoverfrostie

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:08 PM

Those prices sound pretty good. Which state are you located in. We have not long moved to Queensland so im only 2hours away from our FS where my frosties are located. we have 11 on ice and when we had them graded 5 years ago they were all A grade embies. i was to have 2 transferred with the fresh cycle but at the last minute our FS advised us because of the quality that we only have the one transfered.

#14 ames_78

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:56 PM

Just coming back in to tell you my b/t result was  BFN.gif

So now onto cycle number 4.  I have 2 embryos left.

#15 undercoverfrostie

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:30 AM

Amy...thats really sad news. I hope you are doing ok Are you going to do back to back cycles or are you going to take a break. Whatever happens i hope you have success next cycle bbighug.gif

#16 ames_78

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:11 PM

Thanks for your post.  Yes I'm going to continue doing back to back cycles (although I'm finding the progesterone pessaries to be rough on me physically and emotionally - this last cycle I've had thrush like symtoms).  I'm just now really hoping that one of the next 2 embryos takes so I can avoid a full IVF cycle.

AF should arrive Sunday but since this morning I've had quite a few cramps so hoping she arrives tomorrow.

#17 undercoverfrostie

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:17 AM

How are you going Amy? Did AF arrive. Ive been thinking of you all weekend and hoping that there may have been a mistake made and AF didnt arrive.

I am heading off today to head to the coast for my appointment tomorrow. Ill stay with a GF and her family so will be nice to see them as well.

mamabug....hows things going ? How are you feeling? Will come in to see how you go on Wednesday.

Has anyone seen how Kitty or panda went? Would be good to hear some good news cool.gif

#18 kitty005

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:51 AM

*children mentioned

Hi everyone, ames I'm sorry to hear this cycle didn't work out so well sad.gif  I'm sorry I don't have any good news either, I still haven't got AF (was due last week) and my beta hcg was 24 so its a chemical pregnancy.  I had a follow up hcg a few days later and it was 28.  The clinic is expecting me to have a bleed sometime this week, so i'm just waiting and feeling pretty sad.  I have one frostie left, and when I do get a bleed I will book on for another fet straight away.  

My son was an ICSI baby from a single fresh transfer and was born at 31 weeks - he had serious health problems when he was born (but made a total recovery and has been in good health since) so my FS wont transfer more than 1 frostie at a time (if i had twins they'd likely be born even earlier).  I don't want to have twins, but I do wish I could boost the chance of the frozen cycle working.  its all a bit besides the point now anyway because I have only one frostie left.

best of luck to everyone for next round, and hopefully panda will bring some good news (fingers crossed)

#19 Mamabug

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:21 AM

undercoverfrostie - I'm here. Feeling "odd" about Wednesday. I have so many things going through my mind.

*PG and children mentioned*

I am havng self-doubts about being selfish for wanting even just one more child.
I am having doubts about trying FET even though we have two naturally conceived children.
I am wondering if my m/c was natures way of saying "stop, enough".
I am hoping that FET is succesful and we can give our frosties the chance they deserve to fulfil their potential.
I am wondering if I am doing the right thing for my family - can we all cope with another child?
I am wondering what another pg will do to me physically. I have hard pregnancies, auto-immune issues, insuling controlled GDM, seperating pelvis, failing back ligaments...I don't really want to think about all that!
I am wondering if I am too old!
I am wondering if now is the right time as I am owner/building our extensions and just getting my own business off the ground.

So many things. And all I keep coming back to is I don't feel "done" yet. I honestly believe there is one more baby out there waiting for us.

I am sorry to read of others who must coninue their journey. Sending cyber support to you all.

#20 ames_78

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:43 PM

Mamabug - I think you answered your own "wondering" by saying at the end you don't feel done.  That overrides everything else.  I do lots of wondering some days - but get a bit depressed if I think about the amount of money we've spent on FET's so far and how we could have used that money elsewhere - such as an awesome family holiday that we haven't had for a long time.

Kitty - sorry you're going through a chemical pregnancy.  That happened to me cycle #2 - at 16dpo I was 49 and 4 days later was down to 3.  I hope that the cycle isn't too drawn out for you.  Take care.

Undercoverfrostie - AF arrived Sat night so sadly no mistake (I wish!).  Been the worst cycle for cramping - 3 days of it in total so ruined my weekend.  That was sweet of you to think of me.

I think the effects of the bfn and AF I felt a bit emotional at work today and was totally exhausted by the time I got home.  I don't work Tuesdays so I've got nothing planned but resting at home and playing with DS (and maybe fit in some ironing if I can be bothered).

Look after yourselves everyone - it's tough going through this and I'm so grateful for finding others that know exactly what it's like.

#21 undercoverfrostie

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:12 AM

Kitty....so sorry things didnt work this time around bbighug.gif heres hoping that you will be blessed with your next transfer. All you need is one embie to stick and I hands.gif that it will be this little one. Hope AF isnt too far away so you can get started.

Amy.....I was really hoping for some good news for you. look after yourself and take the time to let go emotionally. I think its good for the soul to let it all out. i remember when I first started IVF my FIl was living with us and after my first failed cycle he couldnt believe i was so upset. In his eyes it was like getting a period fullstop...to me it was my baby, another life.So glad hes not in our life anymore as we start again.

Mamabug....some of those doubts I could also relate to. I am in my early 40s and worry about so many things. i guess another reason why i havent told any family and friends, most think i was to old to have my last baby and thought i was crazy when i had him but theres a big big part of me that feels Im not done yet.Good luck for today. Heres hoping that you come away today full of hope original.gif

Look after yourselves everyone - it's tough going through this and I'm so grateful for finding others that know exactly what it's like.

I feel like this too. if you all dont mind Id love to keep chatting in here. Ive had a look in all the buddy groups that fit under my criteria and I really dont feel like i fit into any. And i like that this is small so im not trying to remember what everyone is doing and what theyre up to. its a little more personal for me iykwim.

Well anyway I went over to the coast and had my appointment yesterday. It was all good news. i can start whenever i like which shocked me a bit. i was kind of expecting it to take a while like IVF but when i get my period first day ill drive across for a scan, then he will start me on all the drugs. Then 2 weeks later ill come across for a scan and if all looks good he will defrost the embies and transfer in the one day. then i will have to be on the pessaries up till im 11 weeks if its successful. i didnt realise id have to use them for so long after. I thought with IVF I only used them for a week after. Anyway my costs are the big killer.Upfront is only 2350 but out of that I only get 705 back and then on top of that to start with my pessaries are 180 and if BFP.gif then i keep paying that for each amount of pessaries i need ohmy.gif

I also had a papsmear done sad.gif and because ive had trouble down that road before im hoping that is all good as its been about 6 or 7 years since Ive had one. i knew as soon as he asked i should have lied rolleyes.gif anyway its over now so will just wait for the results of that and decide when we want to start. the sooner the better for me as we are only going to be living this close to our FS for another 6 months then we will be heading to Townsville. Anyway its my first day of work today. My first job since moving so I better run. i dont want to be late first day. Hope you are all having a good day xxx

#22 kitty005

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:49 AM

Thankyou everyone for your support, I'm 23 dpo now and I still haven't had a bleed.  I've been ok, but yesterday and today I'm starting to really lose my patience I just want this to end so I can move on.  I feel terrible and I'm over it, i'm bloated, crampy, pimply and have been for a few weeks now. AGGGGH  I'm having another blood test on friday, which the FS was hoping would show no or very little hcg and progesterone so we can do the next cycle.

undercover frostie - Its great that you can get started straight away! bummer about the costs though - I didn't have to pay for drugs as im doing a natural cycle, but still the cost do weigh on my mind a lot.  I mean if I knew baby number 2 was one fet away or two fets away, or 2 fets and a stim I could really budget, but how long is a piece of string.  I don't want to stop AC until I have another baby but at what point is enough enough?    How far away is townsville from the clinic?  When i had my first i was a 30min drive from the clinic here in adelaide, now we have moved to the barossa and I realise how spoilt I was!! (its still only 1.5hours)  Good luck with the new job!

mammabug - I don't share the same issues as you in terms of starting a business, or building, but I do understand having competing interests and getting through another high risk pregnancy.  It's not easy, but as you say, when you don't feel done, well you don't feel done and thats a very hard thing to walk away from.

ames  bbighug.gif I'm sorry it didn't work out last cycle, its just so horrible when AF arrives, hopefully going into the next cycle gives you something to look forward to.  I really hope you don't need to do another stim cycle will be keeping everything crossed for you.

take care everyone

#23 Mamabug

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:47 PM

undercoverfrostie - glad it seems "simple" for you to stt the next leg of your journey...as in you can start when you are ready. It isn't that simple at all!!! But I amsure you know what I mean!

My appointment went well. I was drained of blood in one arm for hormone test, and the other arm for anti-bodie and diabetes tests. if my ana/aca levels are elevated, it lookslike we will be on heparin injections for the duration of any pg.  What's another daily injections to a pincusion such as myself???

We have two 3-day embryos. We have agreed to thaw both at the same time, as I have apoor defrost record and I figure what is the point in adding to the drama by deforsting one at a time. Dr said about 50% of those that survive the thaw will divide to 4 days, and less will go to 5 day blasto.

So, we will thaw both, if either survive we will grow both out as iwould prefer to know of failure before transer rather than go through the emotional trial of a 3-day transfer and then a 2WW for no reason.

So, DR gave me about a 5% chance of one surviving the thaw then 30-50% chance of succesful implantation.

The only good news is that based on my past records, it looks like I won't need pessaries!!!!

#24 undercoverfrostie

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:18 AM

Mamabug.....Compared to what you will have to go through mine seems very simple. So do you wait a couple of days for your embies to grow a bit more? I had my fresh embies transfered at 3 days. Ive heard conflicting stories on fresh transfers at 3 then 5 days. I guess for frozen it would be the same.

Kitty....How are you going? Those symptoms arent fair are they. its hard enough going through everything without feeling like crap on top of things. My FS is on the Sunshine coast so i guess it would be a flight away rather than a day trip. It would probably take 2 or 3 days to get there by car from Townsville and i love my FS he is lovely that Id never even concider moving my frosties anywhere else. He has the best success rate on the coast which is most important too.

Better head off day 2 at work Take care everyone original.gif

#25 Mamabug

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:00 PM

Mamabug.....Compared to what you will have to go through mine seems very simple. So do you wait a couple of days for your embies to grow a bit more? I had my fresh embies transfered at 3 days. Ive heard conflicting stories on fresh transfers at 3 then 5 days. I guess for frozen it would be the same.

Yep - we thaw and wait for them to divide, or not. Our fresh transfer was 3-day embie; our ist FET was blasto (5-day). They said I had a good response to first transfer, as it was chem pg, so they would grow out the frosties in case it was a poor embryo, not poor implantation.

As Dr said, only about 50% of 3-day embies that survive defrost go on to day four.

Hope the new job is going well. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.