Have you ever hurt your baby?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#26 More than a Mother

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:20 AM

clipped DS's finger nails when he was about a month old and nipped his thumb. Blood everywhere and I was hysterical, he was hysterical.

Done this. I haven't touched his nails since. That's hubbys job now.

#27 taddie

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:22 AM

Who hasn't? My DD has a blood blister on her shoulder that's been there since week one. Incompetant baby clothes dresser me snapped a press stud closed while holding it on its side because I couldn't see what I was doing and assumed it wasn't lining up properly. I pinched her skin into the stud so hard that yes at over one year the blister is still there.

Dropped off couch? Check. Fallen out of bed? Check. Banged head on door going through? Check. Snapped stomach skin into car seat harness? Check.

My girl is going to kick me when she's older for all of this Im' sure original.gif

#28 livvie7586

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

i think i've/we've done nearly everything posted here.

DS and i fell down stairs when he was about 8 weeks old, his finger's been trapped in a car door, they've both had their heads bumped, fingers accidently cut when doing finger nails, fallen off chairs/beds.  DS (even though it wasn't so much me hurting him, rather inattention on my part) has tried to swallow chemicals (so 2 calls to poisons, both times, luckily, have been a 'shouldn't be a problem').  any parent who hasn't accidently hurt their child must be a saint

#29 CallMeFeral

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:28 AM

My DH still holds DD like that... but hasn't banged her head on the doorframe yet....

#30 Chelara

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:36 AM

I did the pram down the porch steps too  ninja.gif . DH doesn't know about it and DD was only a few weeks old maybe? she wasn't even strapped in and the pram ended up on it's side. Luckily she was fully swaddled and the big pram hood was extended down and she never fell out or hurt herself at all. Didn't stop me feeling horrible!

#31 melapril

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:36 AM

ahhh this makes me feel better to know im not alone!

nail clippers,  yep done that with DS when he was tiny,  i cried much longer then he did!

pinched skin in pram/high chair belts,  yep done that with both kids.  just last week went to put tray on one of those portable high chairs with DD in it, and managed to jam her little finger under the tray and then i panicked so much that i couldnt get the stupid tray off, while DD screamed her head off looking at me like help me mummy.... gawd  sad.gif   again, she got over it much quicker then i did!!

havent hit any head against walls but have managed to several times bang heads on car roof as put them in the car,  think i'd learn after the first time but nooooo

thing is they are not going to remember any of this, but i certainly will!

#32 Baby~Blue~Eyes

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:43 AM

I remember my OB saying they are pretty hardy.

And really they are. The tears for them don't last long. It is the tears of the parents and the guilt that last!

#33 Guest_The 7 Dwarfs_*

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

My 1 year old is baby #6, when I accidentally hurt him, he gets an inspection of area hurt, quick cuddle, and we both keep on going as we where prior. Such a non issue in our house.  

Although the day I was walking with Seth into the school gate and he walked right into the pole and split his head open was a different matter. I felt so bad that day

My biggest 'crime' is hitting his head on the car trying to get him in his car seat  ddoh.gif

#34 TheClampetts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:55 AM

It happens to the best of us...

My husband was carrying Ruby when she was about 15mths old and he tripped over the high chair and dropped her she had the biggest black eye.  It was very embarrassing taking her out in public for a good week or so.

I have also done the nail clipper thing.  My kids now run and hide when I bring out the nail clippers.  huh.gif

#35 Guest_elmilo_*

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:13 AM

I left a just crawling DS on one side of our lounge room while I ran into his bedroom to get something.  I was gone less than 20 seconds.  In that time he had managed to crawl to the other side of the room (who knew that once they learned to crawl that they were experts and could scoot along so quick!), and fall down 2 large wooden stairs.  He had a large egg and bruise on his forehead.  We were going away, DH came home to me holding DS, who by that stage had calmed down and was alright, but I was still crying.  

#36 Stained

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:16 AM

Oh multiple hitting head on the car roof getting them in and out... Thing is someone head always gets hit, if its not theirs its mine!  wacko.gif

DH has a bit of a spider phobia, one day I was folding washing on the lounge and a massive huntsman ran out of it. He was suitably horrified which had DS1 sitting there looking very scared. SO DH picked him up to give him a cuddle and half way up for some odd reason thought the spider was on DS and proceeded to drop him from about thigh height, flat on his back. It has taken quite some time to calm DS whenever a spider is around!!

#37 TheClampetts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:34 AM

hitting his head on the car trying to get him in his car seat

I swear since my first child I have done this on a weekly basis once they hit toddlerdom and they are a bit bigger and harder to get in and out.

#38 Magenta Ambrosia

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:46 AM

I closed the press stud on a grow bag closed with DD1s armpit skin in between. She screamed and cried for ages - I cried for ages more. The next day she had to have her first shots and she didn't cry half as much. I to this day are very careful with press studs. Though a few months ago I did get her neck pinched by the zipper on a jacket - she now raises her chin whenever I do zips up under them.
So far so good with #2

#39 Guest_JazzCat_*

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:17 PM

I've done the snaps on the bouncer thing, only she was only about 2 weeks old  mellow.gif The other day I plonked her in the bouncer without doing it up while I got a drink, gone for about twenty seconds, came back and she was smiling up at me from the floor! Woops. Done the nail clippers thing too, I file them now!

We also got an older jolly jumper off a friend and didn't do it up far down enough, she had sores, almost cuts, under her arms where it had been rubbing while she bounced up and down for about an hour! She didn't even care though, I was horrified!

#40 heidiwa

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:29 PM

I may sound like the worse mother of the year but yea... laods of times.

1. It was only the other day when I was at a friends house all day. DS went to sleep in my arms and I put hime on her bed with all the pillows arpund him. We later hear this big bang, I think oh crap he's fallen off the bed. He was on the floor smiling opening and closing the drawers on the bed side table whichi s what the BANG was.

2. Clipping himinto the stroller I have pinched his leg. The screams and sobs tore my heart strings.

3. Clipping his nails. I took a chunk out of his finger. I cried more about this.

4. I was carrying him and my cuppa coffee to the lounge the other day and DS decides to dunk his hand in it. I saw it happening quickly pulled the coffee cup to the side away from him spilling it all over me. So both mummy and bubby were covered in hot coffee... how could I be so stupid.

5. He slammed his finger in the bathroom cabnet door while I was on the toilet the other day. I was on the toliet (#1) and I left the door open, in he crawls, goes straight for the cupboard and slams it on his finger. I just sat there watching! Well, I couldnt exactly just get up!

#41 bonnybabe

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:35 PM

I'm not sure this thread has made me feel better at all...
huh.gif mellow.gif  

The other day my DS crawled under my feet when I was tidying up a dirty nappy, I didn't see him and half stepped on him.  He now can't walk on it properly and we had to have x rays done - it looks to be a muscle or ligament issue not a broken bone... I feel so so bad, and it tears my heart out when he tries to walk on it and cries.

#42 CountMyStars

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:55 PM

oooooooh yes, unfortunately.

i've bumped his head into many a wall / doorframe / car roof.  poor sod.

i once (when he was about 8 months) had him standing holding himself up in his cot while i rearranged his room.  he began to get shaky and called out Mummy (didn't master falling down on his bum for ages) - i told him to hang on a second while i put something down - he fell sideways and slammed his head into the side of the cot.  horrible mum i am.

i have twice rubbed sunscreen on his face that has ended up in his eyes (when he was just a baby) when, for some reason he'd start rubbing at them as soon as i went to put the cap back on.  his eyes on both occaisons went very red and I rinsed them out with him screaming for what seemed like ages.

recently - although this is psychological hurt rather than physical - my DS was crying/whinging whilst DP and I were cleaning the house.  i thought he was with DP and had been told "No" about something and was having a little tanty.  quite a while passes and DP comes out to the kitchen where i am - I ask what's wrong with DS, she asks "isn't he with you?"..... cue us madly searching for him- he'd crawled under our bed and got stuck and had been crying for ages- really upset.  still tells people about it all the time.

the worst though - my DP was cradling him (attempting to comfort him) when he was about 4 months in his room (in the dark, at night) and I came in saying I'd take him.  she "handed" him to me and let go as I was reaching out - but my eyes hadn't adjusted to the darkness and I couldn't see him - my DS was dropped on the floor... terrible thud... fortunately it was a fall of only 1/2 a metre or so (they were sitting on a futon bed at the time)  and he was ok.  we still blame each other for that one!

#43 Wicked Witch!!!

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:03 PM

the guilt is awful when it's not your own!!!!

I was sitting and holding twins (a little over a year old) on my thighs whilst waving 'bye' to mum. One of the boys wriggled unexpectedly and somehow fell off my leg onto the veranda. He was okay after a hug, reassurance and an icepack. But I kept checking his eyes, use of his hands, his interactions, his breathing whilst asleep, every 30 mins for the rest of the day!!!!!!!!!! and I documented it all!!!

Another time (whilst working in a centre) I shut a door and heard a scream but couldn't work out where it was coming from. Suddenly I realised it was a boy standing behind me who had got his fingers stuck in the door. His parents arrived as he was having it iced. He was fine after 5 minutes but I felt so guilty and even rang them the next day to make sure he was okay!!!

#44 lisa_e

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

I was sitting on the couch with my best friend's baby boy, playing with him. She had made me a cup of tea and put it on the coffee table in front of me. At some point I wanted the tea, so I sat the baby on the sofa, well back from the edge of it, and reached for the tea. The baby leapt forward like a little frog while I was putting the mug back down. I caught him before he managed to fall onto the ground, but he still whacked his head on the coffee table. I can't describe how bad I felt as his mother comforted him. I thought she would never trust me with her baby again (I didn't have any kids of my own and was very inexperienced). I didn't cry at the time, but when I got home a bit later I was inconsolable.

#45 BucketONuts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:23 PM

A month before DD's 1st birthday I had some water boiling on the cooktop for pasta...I was in the other room with DD changing her nappy and heard a hiss sputter...realised the water was boiling over , I ran over to the kitchen with DD in my arms, on my left hip ..leaned in with my right hand and turned off the gas..in the 2 secs it took to do that DD had leaned forward and dunked her left hand upto the wrist in the boiling water..

The screams were unbearable...she kept screaming off n on for about 4 hours , while I sat rocking her with tears streaming down my face..DH was suitably PO'd at me...and I've never forgiven myself that DD's first birthday pic has her with a bandage on her left hand....Never ever ever done that again..in fact have never boiled water on the cooktop again...just boil it in a kettle and pour it in with DD a safe distance away... sad.gif

ETA: i did do the normal first aid thing of course and got her to a doctor ASAP...

Edited by Gen802008, 18 August 2010 - 04:24 PM.

#46 princessmombi

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:17 PM

First born...backtrack to 1977 & new son about a month old, was in a carry cot on the back seat of the car & this carry cot then fitted into a Maclaren pram frame so then bassinette/carry thingo became a pram. I took the two handles & edged it out of the car and as I did so I dropped one of the handles so that the carry cot tipped & he rolled out onto the asphalt of the shopping centre carpark. He screamed and I was totally mortified. Xrays at the hospital showed he had slight bruising of the skull on the opposite side to which he landed. I'm sure they looked strangely at me and I felt so guilty.

#47 mintpatty

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:21 PM

My daughter woke me 4 times in 2 hours with "nightmares" after I'd worked 3 nightshifts in a row.  She's a terrible sleeper, always has been.  I was knackered.  The last time I told her that she'd just have to roll over and go back to sleep.  The 5th time she went came in she didn't make it past the door frame. I sent her back to her room, completely annoyed.  Turns out the 5th time she came in she was having a nose bleed.  She didn't tell me.  She just went back to bed and bled all over the sheets.

Mother Of The Year moment...NOT!

#48 sealeys

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:46 PM

DD - banged her head on the door frame (and my funny bone at the same time - I am yet to discover why it's called a funny bone!!)

DS - gave him 2nd degree sunburn at 4 mths old when I hung the clothes on the line. I had him in the swing while I hung the washing on the line (maybe 10 mins!!) and it was the middle of October. He got really burnt on his face, it blistered and he rubbed it. I felt HORRIBLE!!! He healed fine and you can't tell now. I got the stares and the comments for ages afterwards - every time I got one I felt horrible. I am now a little more open minded when I see kids like DS was - I know how easy it happens and also how bad the Mum may be feeling.

#49 fivelaughs

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:05 PM

So many head bumps here! And kids falling out of our bed/being rolled on when they come in for midnight cuddles, and we fall asleep and forget they're in there.

Also a few weeks ago, when I was getting DS2 out of the bath one evening, DD2 asked if she could get out too. I was concentrating on drying her brother, told her to wait a bit, and before I knew it she was clambering over our huge bath herself. She slipped and fell on the tiles with a massive thwack!!

I still haven't forgiven myself for standing heavily on DD2's hand when she was 8.5mths. I was in the kitchen getting them lunch while they were having tummy play on the other side of the kitchen bench and she took it upon herself to crawl for the first time while my back was turned. I stepped backwards to do something, and she was right there. The heel of my boot went straight down on her little hand. Luckily it didn't break, just bruised!

Edited by hnhkt, 20 August 2010 - 09:22 PM.

#50 byjingo

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:37 AM

My husband is an absolute shocker. Just last weekend we were walking into a car yard, which was having a big sale, so there were a lot of people standing out the front, DD 17mths shoe came off so DH bent down to put it back on, lifted her foot and she fell back and hit her head on the cement! He was so embarrassed and couldn't stop her crying, as soon as he passed her to me she stopped. Naughty daddy!

They also come to watch me play netball with DD usually in her little trike that daddy pushes along, she falls out of it every game, so there I am trying to concentrate on the game when I hear my little girl crying, I want to go and give her a hug but of course can't. Poor bubba and a very embarrassed daddy!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.