Obstetrician Melbourne
Suggestions & help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#1 TinaMack

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:45 PM

Hi all,

i am 6 weeks pregnant and would like to go private with a great obstetrician in Melbourne. Would anybody be able to suggest from past experiences ?

Also now that our Goverment have changed the Medicare Cap How much would it cost and how would could we claim back.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards x

#2 Blondiebear

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:50 PM

Where do you live/what hospital would you like to go to? I can recommend one who works at Freemasons/St Vincent's, and another at Frances Perry, if either of these interest you PM me and I will let you know the details.

Either way you would be looking at close to $4000 out of pocket for the obstetrician themselves after Medicare rebate, plus more for ultrasounds, blood tests and possibly people like an anaesthetist or paediatrician in hospital if you need them.

#3 RosieTea

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:52 PM

if your south side, I would recommend Peter Yong in Noble Park, fantastic bedside manner.

He was my ob for both my boys

#4 Neonatal Diabetes

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:53 PM

I can recommend a great one at Northpark Privte/Mercy/Freemasons/BoxHill Private and his costs are around $3000.00

PM me if you would like his details

#5 TinaMack

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (Blondiebear @ 31/08/2010, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where do you live/what hospital would you like to go to? I can recommend one who works at Freemasons/St Vincent's, and another at Frances Perry, if either of these interest you PM me and I will let you know the details.

Either way you would be looking at close to $4000 out of pocket for the obstetrician themselves after Medicare rebate, plus more for ultrasounds, blood tests and possibly people like an anaesthetist or paediatrician in hospital if you need them.

Thanks very much for the information, we live in West Footscray so Freemasons or St Vincents and Frances Perry would be great.

This is very appreciated.

Kind regards

#6 Fossy

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:07 PM

I went to Guy Skinner, he works at Freemasons and St Vs.  Not sure about the out of pocket expenses now since the change to medicare.  If you ring the rooms they will tell you.  

He was FANTASTIC.  Very low intervention rate, one of only a few who will deliver if bub is breech, only has one weekend off a month so more than likely he will be at the birth.  He was very relaxed and easy going ob, I have recommended him to a lot of people I know.  His rooms are on Victoria Pde, between Freemasons and St Vs.  His midwives were lovely too.

Good luck OP, feel free to PM if you have any questions original.gif

#7 Guest_Padmé Amidala_*

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:12 PM

Edited by Padmé Amidala, 18 October 2010 - 09:26 PM.

#8 ms flib

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:50 PM

Lionel Steinberg - very low intervention, works at St Vincents and Frances Perry. I had 2 very natural births with him - both VBACs. He delivers twins and breech babies too.

#9 firsttimemummy18

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:01 PM

Hi. I'm another fan of Lionel Steinberg. I'm using him again with my second. I had such a natural experience with him, and he guided me to pull out my own child. Was an absolutely amazing experience.

He made me feel very at ease and safe throughout the entire pregnancy.

Good luck to you! And if you'd like his details pm me. X

#10 chubbabub

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:08 PM

Another fan of Guy Skinner. He was fantastic and I will be going with him again if I have another baby.

#11 Georgie01

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:37 PM

Just thought it worth mentioning that you need to book in to the OB asap, many are booked out by 6-7 weeks. The OBs office should be able to give you info on likely out of pockets.

#12 charlie'smamma

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:16 PM

Dr Michael Rasmussen is fantastic. I had a terrible outcome with my first pregnancy (different ob). Michael has been fantatic, caring, kind, genuinely loves babies and is interested in helping me gain confidence in this pregnancy. He has a good sense of humor which gels well with me. He is at Freemason's and delivers at St V's and Mercy.

I also met David O'Callaghan and he was a close second choice which is good because he relieves Michael for some weekends.

#13 Zeldagirl

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:37 PM

Another vote for David O'Callaghan - he's fantastic, and his fees are still 'fairly' low, at $3200 for my current pregnancy.

But yes - book in with someone now!

#14 BabyChloe

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:12 PM

Dito re Guy.  Seeing him again now for #2, about $4500 OOP expenses though.

#15 Angel1977

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (Georgie01 @ 01/09/2010, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just thought it worth mentioning that you need to book in to the OB asap, many are booked out by 6-7 weeks. The OBs office should be able to give you info on likely out of pockets.

I was going to say the same thing! Specially if you want a choice of the hospital they deliver in.

I went to Cabrini and adored it. PM me if you want the details of my OB.

#16 chuja

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE (TinaMack @ 31/08/2010, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks very much for the information, we live in West Footscray so Freemasons or St Vincents and Frances Perry would be great.

This is very appreciated.

Kind regards

#17 chuja

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:43 AM

hi i am 6 weeks pregnant and live near Francis Perry House....has anyone being there recently and also if anyone can recommend me the Obts...i should select ...can't afford to costly obst..

#18 MightyMummy

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:55 AM

I've been to both Frances Perry House and St Vincents. Both good.

I shopped around quite a bit - made initial appointments with a few before settling. And have had 2 deliveries recently (though sadly one was a stillbirth).

I really recommend Rachael Knight, Vicky Nott and Samantha Hargreaves. A close friend also recommends Guy Skinner but yes he is expensive.

PM me for 2 I definitely think you should avoid, including 1 mentioned here.

Edited by MightyMummy, 20 October 2010 - 10:03 AM.

#19 MumOfNAC

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE (peachy-keen @ 03/09/2010, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another vote for David O'Callaghan - he's fantastic, and his fees are still 'fairly' low, at $3200 for my current pregnancy.

But yes - book in with someone now!

My vote too.

#20 noname2

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:06 AM

I recommend Emily Olive (does deliver at Frances Perry).  I saw her for my second baby.  I also know a few of the people that cover her when she's on leave and they are good too.  Her bedside manner is awesome (before, during and after labour).  I really liked being cared for by someone who had been through pregnancy and birth a few times herself!

I also like John Negri who was my dr first time around - though he didn't deliver the baby so I am not sure how he goes in the delivery suite.

Good luck!  And yes, book in quick or your choices will be very limited.

#21 wallofdodo

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:16 AM

I had John Negri, he delivers at Freemasons and Frances Perry.

I had some complications post delivery and he was absolutely fantastic, and his receptionist Rose is just lovely... I hope she is still there.

I can't speak about the costs, it was before the latest changes, but he sent me a letter outlining the costs.

#22 dynamitee

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:27 AM

I had Dr Mark Umstad at FPH and he was phenomenal but generally only handles high risk pregnancies.  But he has shared care with Nicola Bryan and Peter Jurcevic and they are both just such great obs when I had to see them if Dr Umstad was away.  They all deliver at FPH.  If I do happen to get pregnant again, I will definitely be finding the money and going back to Dr Umstad.

#23 misschris

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:34 AM

I'm going with Dr Peter England whose offices are at Freemasons hospital itself.  He delivers at both Freemasons and St V's.  He's been great so far, very relaxed and knowledgeble - takes the time to explain why your body is behaving the way it is, instead of just telling you something is 'normal'.
He also has an ultrasound machine in his office so can pop you in for a quick scan during appointments if you need/want.

His receptionists are midwives (this is fairly common with OB's from what I understand) and are the best part - beautiful beautiful ladies who will handle all your bookings in advance (such as booking your 12/20 week ultrasounds for you and any future appointments) and have never made me feel like I was too embarrassed to ask them silly little questions.

So far as cost I've actually forgotten!  Somewhere around 4k (2k to be paid at 20 weeks and another 1300 or 2k to be paid at the end of the pregnancy).

#24 'distracted'

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:35 AM

I have used Tom Eggers for two pregnancies and he (and his midwives) are WONDERFUL!  He works from St Vincents and Freemasons and his office is in between the two.  He is one of the most gentle and compassionate OBs.  I've had a number of girlfriends use him and my dr also highly recommended him.  He is also relatively 'cheap' (no OB is actually cheap) compared to some others.  But it was his lovely manner that I was most pleased with.  I lost my first baby and he was so amazingly compassionate.  I've had friends that have not had such good experiences with their OBs in this situation. The midwives at the hosp all commented to me that they think Tom is "the loveliest man" too.  I figure they wouldn't say this unprompted for no reason!

I've also heard Guy Skinner is very good, although expensive.  Another girlfriend recently had Lionel deliver her baby girl and she was very happy with the care she received from him throughout her pregnancy/delivery too.

All three sound like pretty sound OBs to me! But like PP have said, you might be limited by who you can get in to see now

#25 duedec

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (misschris @ 20/10/2010, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going with Dr Peter England whose offices are at Freemasons hospital itself.  He delivers at both Freemasons and St V's.  He's been great so far, very relaxed and knowledgeble - takes the time to explain why your body is behaving the way it is, instead of just telling you something is 'normal'.
He also has an ultrasound machine in his office so can pop you in for a quick scan during appointments if you need/want.

His receptionists are midwives (this is fairly common with OB's from what I understand) and are the best part - beautiful beautiful ladies who will handle all your bookings in advance (such as booking your 12/20 week ultrasounds for you and any future appointments) and have never made me feel like I was too embarrassed to ask them silly little questions.

So far as cost I've actually forgotten!  Somewhere around 4k (2k to be paid at 20 weeks and another 1300 or 2k to be paid at the end of the pregnancy).

Another vote for Peter England.  I used him for both my pregnancies - second being a successful VBAC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.