Jump to content
September 05 Parents # 399
74 replies to this topic
Posted 22 September 2010 - 02:51 PM
1. Child's Age? 5 years 3 days
2. Weight, and height?19kg, 110cm
3. What size clothing is your child in? Size 5 tops, size 4 bottoms and size 9 shoes
4. Favourite foods? Anything they particularly don't like? Do they shovel meals in or pick carefully through the meal?Likes pasta and calamari in particular. Has invented his own dish called chicken and fish which is a tomato sauce based pasta dish with shredded chicken and calamari. Meat and 3 veg type dishes tend to go down easily too. Is a pretty good eater - better than Nick anyway!
5. Can your child do buttons, zips, tie shoelaces?Can do buttons, has got the first half of tying shoelaces but not the second bow bit. Can't start zippers himself.
6. Left or right handed?Right handed
7. Does you child like to dance, play catch, kick a ball, ride a bike, can they skip, can they jump rope?Loves riding his bike. Has been riding without training wheels for 6 months. Grandma just taught him to skip last week. I don't think we've ever tried jumping rope. He has just started going to Hungarian Dance lessons and loves it - asks everyday if it is dancing day yet!
8. Does your child draw pictures, can they cut dexterously with scissors, do they like doing crafts, do they love building stuff?Is much more arty and crafty than Nick still is. His drawing is better than Nick's I think. Does basic scissor cutting but not carefully around lines. Loves building with his Lego too.
9. Can they write their name or any other words? Do they tend to get any letters mixed up (b/d)?Writes his names (both versions) plus Nick, Eddie, Mama and Apu. Can write all the other letters when I spell words out to him. Still gets quite a few letter the wrong way round (backwards 's') and some letters he only knows in capitals and not little letters.
10. Can they read any words?Can read the word "Exit" and the names in our family that's it.
11. Do they have any swear words of their own or phrases they use when they are annoyed? Has picked up "damn" from Nick
12. Can they recite their address, phone number etc? Do they know how to use the telephone in an emergency and who to ring?He knows 000 is the emergency number. Doesn't know his address or phone number. Has only made one phone call so I don't think he'd really know how to use the phone at all.
13. Do they know tomorrow, yesterday, next week, last year, can they tell time?Liked counting down till his birthday. Has a calendar where he crosses off days until exciting events (like dancing day). Can do hours on the clock (6 o'clock etc).
14. Do they have a sense of humour, what do they find funny?Has a boy sense of humour which is honed by his father and brother (ie loves farts and burps etc). Loves making Eddie laugh by playing silly games with him.
15. Do they do any set chores around the house, or just help here and there when they feel like it?For each day he chooses either to unstack the dishwasher or help me hang up/take down/fold clothes he gets 20c. Other than that it is both Nick and his job to tidy their beds and set the table before dinner (required without getting money).
16. How would you describe their personality? Quiet, self reliant, independent, has my bad temper when he gets angry, creative, not outgoing, but not shy either, capable.
Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:46 PM
1. Child's Age? 5 years and ... a bit? lol. About 25 days
2. Weight, and height? Not sure about height - about 110, give or take last time she was measured (months ago). Weight about 16kg.
3. What size clothing is your child in? 5 clothes (too tall for anything 4 to fit properly, but does not fill them out that well) Shoes 11 I think.
4. Favourite foods? Anything they particularly don't like? Do they shovel meals in or pick carefully through the meal? I am not sure that she has a favourite, but she has a real sweet tooth. She eats most things.
5. Can your child do buttons, zips, tie shoelaces? Yes, yes and has the start of shoelaces, but can't do the second part.
6. Left or right handed?Right
7. Does you child like to dance, play catch, kick a ball, ride a bike, can they skip, can they jump rope? Not sure about jumping rope, but all the rest. She has just really got into riding her bike, but needs training wheels.
8. Does your child draw pictures, can they cut dexterously with scissors, do they like doing crafts, do they love building stuff? Yep - she is quite precise with scissors, and draws well. She and Toby have just been into the blocks again lately, but she has not really shown interest in lego yet.
9. Can they write their name or any other words? Do they tend to get any letters mixed up (b/d)? She can write her name, Toby, Mum/my, Dad/dy, Nan/na, and, and a few other words. She can sound things out, but often not accurately. She likes to replace vowel sounds with "a" and "y" and "o". She did recently add a friends son "Ben" to a list I was writing on her own, spelling it correctly.
10. Can they read any words? Some, but only fairly basic. She is better at writing than reading, but I think that is an attention thing. She gets distracted if she isn't physically engaged somehow.
11. Do they have any swear words of their own or phrases they use when they are annoyed? "Eeeeerrrrrrrrrgh!" lol. That is about it - otherwise she is fairly good at just stating what has her annoyed.
12. Can they recite their address, phone number etc? Do they know how to use the telephone in an emergency and who to ring? She knows elements of her address (she knows we live at #5 and that we are in Watsonia, and on earth. lol).
13. Do they know tomorrow, yesterday, next week, last year, can they tell time? Yes for short term, and has some sense of the others, but will mix up things like next month and next year. She does talk about "Next year when I have another birthday and turn 6..."
14. Do they have a sense of humour, what do they find funny? I think she has a typical 5 year old sense of humour. She often does not focus on what is going on around her enough to observe more subtle humour.
15. Do they do any set chores around the house, or just help here and there when they feel like it? She HATES cleaning with a passion, but she is expected to participate in general upkeep of the house.
16. How would you describe their personality? Sensitive, bossy, boastful, inventive, respectful, shy, critical, embarrassed, sharing, dramatic, affectionate, organised... aloof, sweet, generous, sooky, absent, caring, friendly... it is completely not in her nature to ever be nasty, she shares with everyone (including her brother). She likes to run things at home with Toby, but out and about she is more of a follower. She isn't the most observant kid. lol. We often have situations where she is upset because I have said something like "we are not going to see nanna today, but we are going to meet Daddy at work and get dinner instead because she has missed anything other than that we are not seeing nanna. We get lots of tears and tantrums over tiny things (like being told not to jump on the old mattress from our bed, which she and Toby were about to use as a trampoline).
Busy week here - Melbourne Show yesterday, Movies with Hannah today... peace tomorrow! YAY! Kids are going out with mum.
Better go help with bed and stuff.
Edited by ~*Sharon*~, 22 September 2010 - 07:49 PM.
Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:28 PM
(just getting in early for tomorrow )
Edited by ~*Sharon*~, 24 September 2010 - 04:29 PM.
Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:06 PM
Hey gals. I know September is almost over but just wanted to come in and wish all our september bubs a happy 5th birthday.
I cant believe this time 5 years ago we all either had newborns or were about to burst!
I havent "checked in" on EB for ages but got nostalgic tonight and decided to come for a read! Thats what happens when all there is is boring old football on TV. Anyway I probably check out what you guys are up to on FB more than anything! Anway, take care and love to all xoxo
Edited by cjandlj, 24 September 2010 - 09:06 PM.
Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:43 PM
Ok, sitting here sh*tting myself, heading out tomorrow down to Bellingen, have a wedding to shoot on Sunday! I feel sick with nerves. It isn't something I would put my hand up for, but I was asked specifically and I'm not very good at saying no...I just really don't want to let them down. My mum is coming with me. I've managed to borrow two DSLRs so I will have two(to avoid any lens changes) and my mum can have one...being so far away I can't scope the site out before hand. VERY very very nervous!!!
will try to do the survey on my return, can't focus just now...
Edited by bellemae, 24 September 2010 - 09:43 PM.
Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:30 PM
Good luck Belle. I'm sure you'll do GREAT!
Hi Rochelle Tell us how your kids are going!!! I think about them often. FB is good but we don't hear any details. I miss hearing what our kids are all up to.
Well I am already cake preparing for the party on Sunday! Trying to get a head start. Have my nephew's party tomorrow and then DH is at cricket so I will have the kids on my own so I need to get stuff done when I can. Nate is SO excited its adorable. He got his present from my parents today, a remote control car. He is so stoked.
Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:07 AM
Thanks Kay. Busy few days you've got! So glad to hear that Nate is happy about the pre-school change Hope it continues to flow smoothly and this makes for a nice transition into school.
Best be off, checking a million things off my list at the moment...
Edited by bellemae, 25 September 2010 - 10:07 AM.
Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:00 PM
back...busy...all went well...many beautiful pictures, much processing to do now...wasn't nearly as hard as I thought - lovely wedding
Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:23 PM
Glad to hear all went well Belle, you just have to have faith in yourself! Cant wait to see a sneak peak shot?
Sorry Renee I couldnt catch up with you on your holiday, your FB pics look dreamy, I hope you managed to relax and enjoy it. x
1. Child's Age? 5yrs 3 weeks
2. Weight, and height? 30 kg 121cm
3. What size clothing is your child in? 7s and 8s
4. Favourite foods? Anything they particularly don't like? Do they shovel meals in or pick carefully through the meal? Does not like breakfast ( unlike the rest of us) and has to be coaxed to eat before 10am. Loves lunch/dinner. Will eat anything.
5. Can your child do buttons, zips, tie shoelaces? Yes to all three. She has a strange method to doing her laces, but it works just the same!
6. Left or right handed? Right handed.
7. Does you child like to dance, play catch, kick a ball, ride a bike, can they skip, can they jump rope? C is in a dance class 1 x week, and she loves it. She doesnt want to be a part of the end of year concert as she is very conscious of people looking at her! C can kick a ball, but it isnt something she would choose as an activity. C rides her 20inch bike EVERY DAY and can keep up with Z. She is very capable of handling the bike up/down hills and responsible with road safety. C can skip but not jump rope.
8. Does your child draw pictures, can they cut dexterously with scissors, do they like doing crafts, do they love building stuff? Most of C's drawings are of people or rainbows. not much else really! C has been able to cut dexterously with scissors since she was 3. Always had fantastic hand/eye co-ordination in this sense. C likes to do craft projects, particularly cut and paste. We regularly run out of glue and have to make our own. Not into building with blocks, despite the bucket of blocks she has. They never get used.
9. Can they write their name or any other words? Do they tend to get any letters mixed up (b/d)? C can write her full name- although mostly writes half of our surname (???!) only. C can write anything, given I spell it out for her or she copies. No mixed up letters/numbers
10. Can they read any words? No reading as yet. Oh- other than "f-o-x = FOX" at the beginning of the DVDs ( 20th Century Fox )
11. Do they have any swear words of their own or phrases they use when they are annoyed? Hmmmm not that I can think of. She usually grunts like Marge Simpson!
12. Can they recite their address, phone number etc? Do they know how to use the telephone in an emergency and who to ring? C knows her address and home number- however needs prompting to get started. I just asked C what to do in case of emergency and she said "Call 000 tell them HELP!!! then get down low and go go go!" LOL I guess some things have stuck in her mind!
13. Do they know tomorrow, yesterday, next week, last year, can they tell time? C knows all of these, however last year seems to be more of "When I was four....." C can tell the time on the digital clock, but reads it as eight dot dot one five.
14. Do they have a sense of humour, what do they find funny? C has a wicked sense of humour and has a dark sense at at that. She loves practical jokes or anything fart related.
15. Do they do any set chores around the house, or just help here and there when they feel like it? C helps alot with cooking. She is the designated schnitzel pro in this house. She is great at the flour/egg/crumb production line. No set chores other than to tidy her own room.
16. How would you describe their personality? Sensitive, bossy, boastful, inventive, respectful, shy, critical, embarrassed, sharing, dramatic, affectionate, organised... All of the above. C has her moments, but is mostly quite bossy at home, shy and slow to warm up in front of strangers, very nurturing toward younger children, very affectionate to Martin and I, but awkward in receiving hugs or touchy feels situations ( hugs etc) with others ( much like me actually)
Edited by mirandarine, 28 September 2010 - 05:31 PM.
Posted 28 September 2010 - 06:55 PM
Nice to read that Miranda!
Belle - So glad the wedding shoot went well. I knew you'd be great.
Just heard from Titania. Poor L had a reaction to a tick bite on the weekend and was in hospital. He has been diagnosed as anaphylactic. So they are obviously very worried and trying to work out whether they move etc. She is just to busy to come in but says hi to all.
Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:57 PM
Hooly Dooly Kay- thanks for the update on T. If L is anaphylactic to ticks they sure are lucky he made it to 5 without having a bad turn considering the amount of ticks they do seem to get- much worse than most I would think. In that case alone I think a move is warranted- hands down no questions.
hmmmm C has been a little irritable this afternoon. Not ill, just grumpy and she has just come out to me topless as she is hot. 37.6 hmmmm lets see how this goes...
Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:11 PM
On holidays at my friends in Coffs. I am absolutely exhausted after last week and the 9 hour train trip yesterday. I am being a great Mummy atm though, very cheery and not getting cross! Helps that the girls are being very good.
I will do the survey later, maybe next week at my sisters.
Somehow on the holiday I also need to catch up and keep up with my uni readings. Don't think that's going to be easy!!
I hope L is alright. It must be awful having to decide what to do in terms of moving house with an ana kid!! Thinking of you T!!
Ok gotta go to bed me thinks.
Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:11 PM
Yeah they are seeing the allergist tomorrow so will know more then.
Miranda - I hope C is ok. Nate has been super grumpy tonight - taking him back to the GP tomorrow because he's still coughing horribly.
Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:57 AM
Enjoy your holiday Kirsten. I hope it isnt spoilt by too much Uni work
Kay- Thanks- she isnt too well this morning.. She slept in our bed last night ( Martin got to sleep in her pink fairy bed ) and woke up with 38.3 deg temp and a headache. Panadol and a tepid face cloth are working well. She has requested a bath for now as it is her favourite place to be- far too many bath toys! I am happy to oblige to a morning bath today considering her temp. She did go to pre school yesterday and they had a sign saying one case of diaroehea and 2 cases of chicken pox have been reported. So Im guessing this may be the beginnings of something.
Poor Zara is bored silly. It is the school hols and I have worked most days or we have had people to visit without kids her own age. I have arranged a night over at my Aunt and Uncles beef farm for fri night so at least there is some kind of highlight to her hols! If C is up to it, I might drive down to the video shop so Z can hire a few DVDs.
Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:17 PM
Bummer Miranda. Poor Charlotte.
I took Nate to the GP today because he is coughing even more, really spasmodic coughing. She checked him out and he has tonsillitis! So back on a higher dose of Anti-b's (our regular Gp is away and this one said he had him on way too low a dose )
So he is bored too, although I got him doing some maths games on the computer for a while and he enjoyed that.
Sydney's weather is bizarre! Yesterday I was at the beach in t shirt and skirt and today it is freezing! No wonder every one is getting sick!
Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:41 PM
the next time I get clucky can someone please slap me in the face with a wet fish I have been blessed with two very easy going kids, no medical issues, sleeping great etc... but by god is number 3 making up for it! His screaming and clingy-ness is driving me up the wall!!!!!
T - thinking of you and L
big hello to the rest of the group - will try and catch up soon.. its my horror day tomorrow.. both kids at home.. wish me luck
Edited by ~~Lynny~~, 29 September 2010 - 09:42 PM.
Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:37 AM
the next time I get clucky can someone please slap me in the face with a wet fish
We tried that last time Lynny. / Sorry to hear you're having a tough time. My two were both clingy screaming horrors which is why we probably won't be having any more. If I could be guaranteed a 'normal' one I'd be keen.
Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:00 PM
Getting over the virus that has gripped our household over the past couple of days... I went back to work today and I felt every single minute! Still a few aches in the joints. C is fine now, no more temps since yesterday afternoon, so fingers crossed Marty doesnt get it! So far so good.
Just C and I home tonight. Z is having a two night sleep over at my Aunt and Uncles farm. it is SOO quiet!
Not sure what we'll do tomorrow on our own? Will have to brainstorm I think.
Have a good weekend footy fans.
Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:09 PM
Miranda, what was your virus like? Nate is so sick. He has a horrible cough, high temps and sore throat. He's completely wiped out. Had to pick him up from preschool yesterday. I am actually wondering if its whooping cough but usually that doesn't have a fever? He's never had a cough like this, its awful to see. I hope he gets better soon. Glad to hear you're all feeling better there.
Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:23 PM
Does he look all red like he is sunburnt Kay? Sure its not Scarlett Fever? Its going around apparently and completely wiped cohen flat last week. AB's nipped it in the bud pretty quickly tho.
Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:23 PM
Nate sound slike he has a vicious bout of tonscilitis to me.
The virus we had seems to be going around Oz! ( Well from my small cross section of friends all over Oz anyway!)
Headache, high temps all over body ache especially in the joints runny nose and sinus. Also a rash ( like prickly heat rash) on Z and on some others who seem to have had it. C and I didnt get a rash though.
Poor Nate. Is he ill enough for pain stop? Sounds like he may be?
Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:07 PM
Miranda, that sounds exactly like Cohen what cohen just had. When i saw the prickly heat rash I said to the dr oh is that a heat rash and she said no that with tonsilitis indicates scarlet fever. Which incidentally she has NEVER treated in her 20 years as a GP and this year cohen was her 5th case.
Apparently the same symptoms can happen without the rash and i think thats what L is experiencing now.
Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:26 PM
Eek! Haven't checked him for a rash today.
His cough is the worst symptom though, apart from the fever. He has been on anti-b's for two days now but its not helping at all.
Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:58 PM
oh no everybody is sick
get well all!!
Zahli too is sick tonight, though with croup, I gave her redipred and within 10 mins she threw up, so I was on the phone to health direct (or whoever they are) after all this questioning in regards to her croup they said to call a chemist and check with them, so yes I can give her the medicine again if she throws up within 1/2 hour.
and I am soooo lucky that I checked the redi pred bottle today as she has had a cough and thought that croup was the next step, as the botte was near empty and Alannah was going to the docs for her exzema so I got a script for Zahli, otherwise I would be at the hospital now.
OK I think it's bedtime now, Zahli is on the couh snoring, now I have to carry this 20kg child upstairs to bed, wish me luck.
Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:38 AM
Oh gosh, all these sickies! Good thing you got the redipred Karina!
Nate is up and about and trying to kill his brother this morning, so he must be feeling a little better. Still coughing badly though.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users
Top 5 Viewed Articles