December 09 Parents # 18

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
72 replies to this topic

#51 Mercurial

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:59 PM

becaboo - making babies is like that, you never know what to expect.  DS was a surprise and DD took 7 months and we about to start fertility drugs so it's always a guessing game.  Make sure you rest up when your little one does, it can be exhausting running around after one while growing another one.  

audreybaby - we used sm33 and that seems to work sell.  not sure about saliciates in it though.  Teething rusks for when she's up but that doesn't help for night time.  Maybe try nurofen rather than panadol.  I started with panadol with DS but he responded much better to nurofen.  

AFUS - Caitlin has a new game - it's throwing things and then having a tantrum until someone gives them back.  Quite bloody irritating actually.  Toys in the car get thrown to the floor and then she cries.  Thankfully a lot of them go DS's way and he's happy to hand them back.  I get over that little game very quickly.  Food gets tossed off the highchair while she's eating other pieces.  And now she's tossing her moose out of her cot (her fav stuffed bedtime toy).  It took me 30 mins to settle her today becuase she kept tossing him out and then screaming for him back.  aarrgghh.  

She slept through again last night but two nights before that she had two feeds overnight so she's all over the shop.  We're getting one night a week where she sleeps through so fingers crossed we're moving towards that as a more permanent routine.  

Usually pick DS up from daycare at this time but Caitlin is still sleeping as it took her so long to go to sleep.  Oh well he'll be playing happily.  

Best go and finish a few things up before I go.

#52 Sancti-claws

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:27 PM

Hey all - Josette has hit the tantrum zone as well.  Luckily I didn't get the full brunt due to being at work, but I felt for V when he texted me about it.  I bow down to the concept of sleeping through the night.  Once upon a time...

Becaboo - good luck with the two at heel (cow term - sorry original.gif )  As my cousin (who had 3 under 3) said, sanity is for wimps!

Audrey, I hope the teething has settled for you.

I have to catch J when she is doing her "play" crawling - it is so hilarious, but whenever the camera comes out she pretends like it never happens.  She is really into playing.

Anyhow, best go sleep myself - early morning tomorrow for work...

#53 eeyoreangel

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:58 PM

Hi Guys

My apologies for neglecting you over the past few months....(or more).... oops...

We are doing well.  Can't believe that in 2 weeks (or just over) Charlotte will be 1!  

Still no teeth.  She doesn't crawl - more a roll with a bit of rock and push.  She moves with great speed though and can get herself into any corner she likes if she sees something she wants.  She can talk the hind leg off a chair though and her smile will  melt any heart wub.gif

DH finally got a job - working on a helpdesk with Te**tra - he's been there for four weeks and doing very well with his training.  They do 2 shifts per day (7 days per week) - 7am - 3pm or 3pm - 11pm.  

I have been at my new department for four months (on secondment) and am enjoying it immensely.

Sorry for no personals but I will try and get in here and update more often.

Jill

#54 Dirtsa

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:00 PM

Hi all, hope everyone's going well. We are going good.Adam just got his 3rd tooth yesterday. Last week he took his first steps - 4 in a row!!! Since then he's been trying to walk a little bit on his own, and has managed one or 2 steps but the more I try to play the "let's learn to walk on your own" game, the more he'd rather crawl. He's becoming quite boisterous, has no qualms about screeching at the top of his lungs for fun, especially in echoey rooms like parents rooms, public toilets and cafes. The days of enjoying a coffee or light meal out while he sits happily in the pram are over.... He's mastered going down the stairs backwards and he's so quite adept at getting himself off the couch or bed properly. He also tries this technique on the change table mid nappy change, which can be a bit challenging! Weighed and measured him the other day and he's just under 10kgs. Overall a very happy little 10 mth old, always smiling and up for a snuggle. I could just bottle him! Sleep overnight is still average. Funny though he fell asleep in the shower the other night- he was sitting on the floor playing with a toy and then he went quiet and his head was nodding in that sitting up asleep way. Was sooooo cute .
So that's Adam the rest of us are good too. Our kitchen is almost done- just waiting for our tiles to arrive and get done and then I say yehaa it's finished! Will post some pics when it' all done . Am using dh's iPhone ATM as our Internet isn't working. Well it is but we got our electricity powerboard upgraded and there is some dodgy wiring that keeps tripping the switch and it's affecting the computer room . Hope it will be sorted this week.

Edited by 45TR1D, 31 October 2010 - 10:03 PM.

#55 Mercurial

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:35 AM

45TRID - such a clever little man taking a few steps already!  I hear you on the wiggles during nappy changes - poo can go a long way when they roll over mid change.  Hooray on almost having your kitchen done - very exciting.  

eeyore - sounds like things are doing well workwise now for you both.  Great that DH has got some work.  Must be a relief.  I love seeing you post on facebook - I look at her hair and it's just so beautiful.  

suziej - ah yes tantrums.  And they reckon they dno't hit until 2 - yeah right.  She yells when things don't go her way - usually us not handing over food or when she's tossed something and we don't give it back.  

AFUS - cruising along well.  7th tooth breaking the surface and number 8 looks pretty close behind.  Has made her a little cranky.  Overnight sleeps are averaging more sleep throughs than not in the past week.  She has woken a few times around 10 or 11 but DH goes in and settles her easily enough.  I go in and she expects a feed so it's now DH's responsibility.  

3 year wedding anniversary tomorrow so ILs are coming down to spend the night and look after little ones and DH and I are escaping for the night down the coast.  So looking forward to a sleep in!  Was a surprise from DH so I don't think I've got enough milk expressed so if she squeezes in an extra feed (she does roughly every 3 days or so) then she'll have to get cows milk or formula.  I've got some sample packs of stage 3 formula or debating just using cows milk.  She has cows milk in her cereal, porridge etc and has done for months with no probs.  

MIL has taken DS for the day to visit SIL.  Caitlin and I will see her next week when we're down in Melb so we're going into DH's work for a Melbourne lunch cup instead.  

Found out we're getting more back on our tax that we thought (everything I've paid back which was unexpected).  DH is super excited as coinciding with the kid's tv dying it means I've given up on arguing that we don't need a new tv.  So a 54 inches of ridiculous neoplasma tv is now gracing our formal lounge and the other flat screen is now being watched by the kids.  He restrained himself by not buying new everything and only got the tv, amp, blue ray thrown in free and we've had to buy a cabinet too.  I'm happy because he's saved over $2,000 with a lot of running around back and forth between competitors.  So the whole process didn't cost as much as I thought.  And I'm still angling for a Kenwood mixer to be purchased sooner rather than later.

#56 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:00 PM

Half of you ladies will remember me as coopersmummy06... I haven't posted in here since Lucas was born as the group was just so big I couldn't keep up. Anyway ive been thinking about you guys and wanted to see how all our bundles of joy are going. Can't believe Lucas will be one soon. Cooper (almost 4) is a brilliant big brother. I left the boys dad over the Easter long weekend and haven't been this happy in such a long long time. I'm seeing someone new and we are hoping to try for his 1st, my 3rd in January 2011.

I cant believe our babies are growing up so fast. I've got a lot of reading but i mainly just wanted to touch base, say hi and see how everyone is.

#57 Mercurial

Posted 05 November 2010 - 08:14 PM

2blue - Lovely to hear from you.  Sounds like you've had an eventful year but that it's working out for the best.  Best of luck with TTC next year.  

AFUS - Caitlin has decided she doesn't want an afternoon sleep.  She's fought hard the last four days and today didn't sleep at all from 10.30 to 6pm!  I'm really, really not ready for her to drop to one daytime sleep yet.  I was hoping for at least another 6 months of two sleeps.  She's tired so early in the morning so I can't keep her up longer there yet.  

Caitlin took two steps the other day.  She's taken one step a few more times and she thinks it's so funny and laughs at herself and gets really excited.  She's starting to get really distracted with feeding and pulls off lots and carries on.  

Both kids were perfect while we were away and it was nice to have a night off.  

Having massive problems with DS and poo again.  Wiping his bum more times a day than I can count and I've a constant bucket of napisan soaking dirty undies.  If we don't get a chance over the weekend mum is coming up monday arvo to look after Caitlin and I'll take him to the hospital and see if we can get an xray to see if there's a blockage.  We've got a paed appointment in Dec but that still seems so longer ago and he's now refusing to take the medication to help.  

Going to Mathilda's market tomorrow in Brisbane and looking forward to that.  Maybe shouldn't have bought all the kids christmas presents yet!  DH is looking after the kids for the morning so I'll get a few hours shopping all to myself - woo hoo!

#58 Sancti-claws

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:13 PM

Mercurial - having just gone through major constipation issues here, have you slipped a bit of Coloxyl into your ds's drinks to soften and let it be a more pleasant experience for him?  (Stike that - just saw your thread - a friend of mine ended up using more stringent measures - will check your thread more fully)  Caitlin will be running soon - how exciting?

TwoBlue - welcome back - I will update the list.

45tr1d - isn't it funny how they all have their own little milestones.  I use the floor for nappy changes and J never rolls off!!

eeyoreangel - yay for full employment down there!  I love the photos of your gorgeous kids on facebook (and have SERIOUS hair envy).

Well, as said, had an interesting week with a grumpy baby backed up and not happy about it!  The weather has changed dramatically a few times and the added humidity has probably contributed - we turned a corner (so to speak) yesterday, as I was home from work with a migraine so spent a good few hours in bed with a miserable baby on the boob.  My big girl just turned 11 on Wednesday, and then spent last night at a leadership camp for school - oh my she is getting so grown up.  Instead of a lovely afternoon shopping she had a grumpy set of grown-ups and a screaming baby sister, and when asked if she wanted a "make-up" birthday told me it was perfect because we are all people she loves.  Aww.  A political future, I predict!

Edited by suziej, 05 November 2010 - 09:15 PM.

#59 Sancti-claws

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:16 PM

Hmmm - did I kill the thread?

Back last night after a weekend at my sister's - in an attempt to get her business bookkeeping up to date.

Lessons learned:

1. the concept of bookwork should be investigated more often than quarterly - I don't know if she understands that one.

2. J can scream.  and scream.  and scream.  and scream.  and scream.  and scream.  and scream.  and scream.  

3. and scream.  

4. I now have no babysitting options should I visit that neighbourhood.  This includes grandparents, cousins and nice ladies.

5. 200km is a VERY LONG DRIVE if one has a screamer in the back for 3/4 of it.

6. Should you take a long weekend, the hours you have to make up at all of your jobs being shoved into the remaining 4 days means you have 4 very long days.

7. Even with Daddy, J can scream - not as much, but teeth are imminent and she is sharing her misery with those she loves.

8. Tomorrow starts attempt at Daycare #2.  We hope she will enjoy.  We aren't confident.

Hope everyone else is doing well.  Between screaming, J is still quite wonderful.

#60 Mercurial

Posted 11 November 2010 - 05:56 AM

Suzie - no good to the screaming and her being backed up.  Poor thing.  Pear juice is great way to help clear things in little ones.  Hope this has been a quieter few days for you.

Gosh it's quiet in here.  

AFUS - been plodding along.  Took DS to the hospital on Monday and yes there was a blockage.  They gave him an enema which cleared everything which is good.  He's still not done a proper poo yet on the toilet but fingers crossed it's coming.  

Caitlin has been a bit out of sorts with a temperature, teeth coming through and conjunctivitis.  She's not too bad just not quite herself.  Caitlin and I are off to Melb today for a few days with DH's sister and her husband.  I'm hoping Caitlin will sleep in my arms on the plane.  SIL is picking us up from the airport so all is good there.  I'm really looking forward to a few days of no work and just getting out of the house.

#61 katiebelle

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:53 PM

Hi everyone

Hope you are all well.

We are good, just plodding along. Starting to plan Alyssa's 1st birthday, we will have her party on the Saturday 11th Dec as we have a Playgroup Christmas party on the 12th and her birthday is in the Tuesday.

Wishing a Happy 1st Birthday to those babies that are coming up soon (this week I think).

Better go, Ella needs me to check that she used the right amount of toilet paper laughing2.gif

#62 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:54 AM

Hey guys! Im so sorry for being utterly neglectful of this group. No excuses except for a very busy life at the mo!!

The girls turn 1 on Tuesday so that's pretty amazing, I have survived the year with 2 babies!! I just looked at them the other day and saw not two little babies, but two "kids". Its sorta nice and sorta sad at the same time.

They are going really well - after doing the Dream baby guide and sticking with it for a few months, they are now sleeping through and have been for a couple of months (thank god!!) They are also pretty good with their naps now, going for about 1.5 hours 2 times a day. its taken a lot of persistence and changes to their diet and other routine tweaking but I think we are going pretty well.

Juliet has been walking since 11 months. She is getting very good at it too, she just about ran yesterday, which Im not keen on, because I dont fancy chasing two quick toddlers. Annika is not quite there - she has a few balance issues from her club foot, but she's not too far off by the looks of it. Personally, I hope she waits a bit longer (again, I dont fancy chasing 2 going in different directions..) They eat pretty much anything, I think the only thing we havent really tried is nuts, for the obvious reasons. I am keen to try some smooth peanut butter soon, since we dont have a history of allergies here. Will see how that goes.

Word wise, they dont really say discriminate words yet, still the old mumumumumum and dadadadadada and I think Juliet copied me saying "yay" yesterday but I am not 100% sure. They do say ogodogodogodogod but Im not sure if its "oh God" (no idea where they would have got that) or if its an attempt at good?

My mum has found an agency that places Aupeirs (sp) for bed and board who will do 4 hours work per day. Im hoping to get something happening with this, so I can get back to work a bit more. I am starting my own massage business in Jan 2011 (finally doing it properly!!) renting in a fernwood. So Im really excited that I think I might have my work stuff sorted out.

Anyway, hope you are all well! We are off to a friend's twins birthday party today (our girls are 5 days apart, so its been lovely to be able to share the same sort of woes and happiness throughout this year)

Talk soon!

#63 mummy2Ali*Lachie

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:29 PM

well things are a bit sh*t!!! Aleisha has been in hospital for the week with abdo pains. original thoughts were appendix now it's off to do a bone marrow biopsy after a week of her white blood cells and platelets dropping each day. I am numb I can not process this it's just too horrible. We go in first thing and I guess will know sometime Tuesday. Lachie turns one on thursday amazing!!!! we may cancel his party but it's all so up in the air till we know what is happening with our beautiful girl. I am not writing anything on fb cos I don't want it on there!!!

#64 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:29 AM

bbighug.gif oh Wendy thats awful! I sincerely hope its just some kind of infection and she gets well soon. White cell stuff and bone marrow biopsys dont sound very nice. I am thinking of you and your family and hope she gets well soon!

#65 Sundayj

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:03 AM

Wendy how horrible. I hope everything is ok. Sending our love to your family and little Aleisha. Take care.
A happy birthday to all the bubs who are about to turn the big 1.
Banjo is 11 months tomorrow. He isn't crawling yet, but can stand holding onto something and is pretty much pulling up too.
Sleep is still a problem, night waking I mean, but he is doing a regular day sleep or two so that's encouraging.
Banj is still on the boob and still very devoted to his milk time which is fine with me as I'm in no hurry to stop yet.
I gave him a piece of orange yesterday because he was watching the whole family slurping them and asked for a piece by holding his hand out and complaining until I put a bit in his hand. Loved it, no rash or upset tummy.
What's the naughtiest thing we have given Banjo. That would be some ice cream. Not too naughty, he looooooved it, so I don't want to get him too used to it.
Still trying to give as much organic food as possible, but he really loved Vegemite on bread so that's become a bit of a regular food too.
I have decided to take next year off work so I'm very happy and nervous too. It means no money (I have a feeling that I've already mentioned it, but it's obviously on my mind as I'm mentioning it again, hope it works out).
Just checked in to get the BF cookie recipe again, so good they are.

Wow, one year already. Joy and happiness to us all and our babies.
Check in soon. biggrin.gif

#66 Sancti-claws

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:06 AM

Lord Wendy - I thought there must have been something amiss from the Facebook status, but that sucks.

I second Trudie and hope it is an infection that will clear up with the right treatment.  hugs and good luck!!

Its funny that five of our babies have their birthdays this week - this time last year we were all so huge and anticipatory (although some of us waited and waited and waited...)

Rebecca - great news that they were able to clear the backlog with DS (so to speak) - I hope you find the magic formula for him to have ease of passage (ditto) from here on in.  I hope the trip to Melbourne went well.

Katiebelle - wow, we didn't plan very well, did we - it certainly is party season.

Kitty - you are so right, they really are "kids" rather than babies these days.

Here, J is crawling and will race you for any open door!  She eats everything in front of her and is a real member of the family now!  She had a good day last week on her first day of care (good being relative to our anticipations, really).

Anyway, off to town to do groceries as Mondays is my day with her and away from work.

#67 Mercurial

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:16 PM

Wendy - that is so scary.  Come and let us know how it all works out.  

kitty-n - congrats on surviving a year with the twins!  Funny about one walking and one not - shows how different even twins can be.  Funnily enough both of my kids have walked at the same time, a week before they turned 11 months.  

sundayj - sounds like things are going well.  I wouldn't stress the vegemite, aussie kids have to have vegemite.  Caitlin is still a bit unsure of it though.  

suziej - blockage gone but still only about 50% in the toilet.  Big doses of parachoc at present to keeps things moving and it's working so far.  

AFUS - got back a few hours ago from Melb.  Was lovely to catch up and spend some time with my SIL.  She used to live with DH and I so we were always quite close.  They TTC at present so fingers crossed for some exciting news soon from them.  

Caitlin was miserable the first day or two down there.  Conjunctivitis and just crying all the time.  Thankfully she cheered up and the rest of the time was enjoyable.  

One of my closest friends is being induced today so hoping baby will come before visiting hours shut so I can go and visit.  

Happy birthday to all those celebrating their first birthday in the next week or so.

#68 mummy2Ali*Lachie

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:07 PM

ok super quick update...today blood stats are low but just in normal range so no biopsy today thank goodness. she's still so unwell and they will watch her blood counts 3 times a week for the next few months and then if all is good eventually stop taking her blood counts. She is on short leave from hospital but can go back at any time to her room and her bed if she needs to. They will keep looking at her bloods for viruses etc and watching her pain levels!!! I am so emotional but feel a little lighter and brighter now!! for now we wait and hope they stay up and don't go back down!!! Thanks for the support!!

#69 Dirtsa

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:01 PM

Wendy - so sorry to hear that Ali has been so sick and without diagnosis yet. fingers and toes crossed for you guys that it's nothing to serious and she is back to good health asap. xoxo

#70 katiebelle

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:02 AM

Wendy - I hope your daughters results start to climb and she begins to feel better, a very scary time for you all. Happy Birthday to your little man for Thursday

Kitty - Happy Birthday to your girls for today

Sorry just a quick post from me, I am recovering from gastro and Alyssa has a possible case of chicken pox (mild), the Doctor couldn't decide if it was chicken pox or a viral rash but she kept going back to chicken pox and so we are assuming that is what it is to be on the safe side, so no playgroup for us today for multiple reasons

#71 Mercurial

Posted 16 November 2010 - 03:10 PM

katiebelle - aarggh to skin afflictions.  I'll update below but Caitlin is suffering too.  

mummy2ali&lachie - glad that things seem a bit brighter though hope that they can find out what's going on soon.  

AFUS - Caitlin has had some sores on her arm while we were down in Melb and after a quick chat to dad yesterday (he's a nurse) he suggested impetigo.  Took her to the doctors this morning and he agreed yep it's impetigo and she's now on antibiotics.  Poor thing has sores under both armpits.  The antibiotic is absolutely foul so having all sorts of grief getting it into her - she just keeps spitting it.  Don't blame her really but she needs to take it.  

My girlfriend had a baby girl weighing 8'7 at 1.15 this morning.  The text came through at 2.20am - coincidentally I was up feeding at the time so got the news straight away.  Going to visit her tonight to see the baby (no kids and after a thorough shower and change of clothes in case I'm carrying the impetigo virus).  

Been back now for 24 hours and I've realised I didn't miss whatsoever the constant stream of questions that come out of DS's mouth.  The doctor this morning was sitting there open mouthed in amazement because he just doesn't stop.

#72 Sancti-claws

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:33 PM

Happy anniversary of motherhood, Jill, Trudie and Michelle!!!

Edited by suziej, 16 November 2010 - 09:34 PM.

#73 Mercurial

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:32 AM

Didn't get to go see my friend's baby.  After a discussion with her and the nurses it was decided to risky with Caitlin having impetigo.  Very disappointed but know it's for the best.  It's spread now to her tummy as well but they've scabbed now so hopefully healing.  She had the antibiotics with honey this morning and I think got most of it in.  Will try with jam later on.  Supposed to be on a completely empty tummy but I just can't get it into her then.  Can't believe something that's for a baby tastes so foul.  She seems very happy but slept for 5 hours during the day yesterday and still 11 hours overnight so obvoiusly needs some rest time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.