Using GLAD Zip lock bags to freeze breastmilk
Is this OK?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TwoBubbas

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:29 AM

I've been told that you can freeze expressed breastmilk in GLAD ziplock bags (as a more cost effective alternative to e.g Medela breastmilk storage bags etc.).  Has anyone else also heard this, or tried this, and is it OK?  Just wondering about hygiene issues etc.

Thanks original.gif

#2 MelsRose

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:39 AM

Hi

I did this for #1 & #2, and plan to for #3!  I just lay them flat in another tupperware container in the freezer so that the little corners of the bag didn't get damaged by icecream removal etc biggrin.gif .  I used to freeze them on a separate shelf, then transfer to the container when frozen, so the warm milk didn't "warm up" the frozen milk under/above it (if that makes sense)  Laying them flat makes it quick to defrost too! (Didn't put the bags in the microwave though, don't know how that would go??)  Only used the bags the one time.

Good luck
From Another Mel

#3 Ashtonsmum

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:42 AM

I also used glad zip lock bags. not only for breastmilk but for baby food that I had made. I could then write the dates and what was in it on the white strip on the front of the bag

#4 ~NICOLE~

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE (MelsRose @ 24/09/2010, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi

I did this for #1 & #2, and plan to for #3! I just lay them flat in another tupperware container in the freezer so that the little corners of the bag didn't get damaged by icecream removal etc biggrin.gif . I used to freeze them on a separate shelf, then transfer to the container when frozen, so the warm milk didn't "warm up" the frozen milk under/above it (if that makes sense) Laying them flat makes it quick to defrost too! (Didn't put the bags in the microwave though, don't know how that would go??) Only used the bags the one time.

Good luck
From Another Mel

This is exactly what I did, but I was told not to microwave EBM as it kills the nutrients...

#5 Butterscotch

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:51 AM

I always froze mine into ice cube trays then transferred them into ziplock bags, that way I could choose to take out as many 20ml (I think or were the cubes 30ml, I forget now!) portions as I needed at a time wink.gif

Oh, and definitely don't put EBM in the microwave nno2.gif

Edited by Butterscotch, 24 September 2010 - 11:51 AM.

#6 chubby~yoda

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:01 PM

I always froze mine into ice cube trays then transferred them into ziplock bags, that way I could choose to take out as many 20ml (I think or were the cubes 30ml, I forget now!) portions as I needed at a time

Oh, and definitely don't put EBM in the microwave

YES, same here - except intead of ice cube trays, I used one of those 'milk trays' from the ABBA web.
Also, once bubs has a bigger intake, I just purchased more milk bottles to freeze & rotate.

#7 Sloane Peterson

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

Yup I did this too... You can stack the little bags if you have frozen them flat and they are super easy to store. I used to freeze in smallish amounts - 40-50mls (and write what the amount was on the outside) and then defrost accordingly.

You may wnat to consider double bagging just in case of leakage!

#8 niggles

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:11 PM

Glad may work. I had a different brand and leaked a whole feed over the bench when I first tried them. I was so dissappointed I never tried again and went back to the usual bags. I think they were Swisspers bags? A purple package, and cheaper than Medela.

#9 MUMPLUSONE

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:57 PM

Hi

although many women did and do this it is not recommended

at the moment in us and europe they are trying to ban any  see through plastics being used for babies and children. as there is a chemical componenet in them that is causing issues with children later on.

i personally would not use them and use the ones recommended on the directions of your pump

better safe than sorry.

sorry. but i thought i should put it out there for you to make a decission.

i know i will get attacked for saying this but it is a personal choice and without knowing all you cannot make this properly.

thanks

#10 Sloane Peterson

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:03 PM

Mumplusone ~ I think you are referring to BPA's - you are right in that some baby products are manufactured from these plastics (including AVENT bottles, breastpumps etc) but this chemical is NOT in zip lock bags.

http://www.glad.com/faqs/foodbags.php

#11 whydoibother

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:52 PM

I have seen the proper bags quite cheap somewhere in the chemist I think or even ebay sell the cherub ones which are a alot cheaper then medela.  Or I used to use the avent storage bottles easier that way-just thaw them in a jug of warm water and then you change the cap out on the top for a teat.

#12 Sprungli

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:01 PM

I also used the ice-cube tray (the tupperware one that is completely enclosed), then transferred to Glad bags. It was so easy to measure it out when defrosting, just grab the right number of cubes, pop them in the bottle and leave it in the fridge overnight, and less messy than defrosting in the bag.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.