help wirh vaccs?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 justine89

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:04 PM

I need some advice with vaccs,

im terrified of DD reacting, she didnt with her first lot. Im terrified of not vaxing.
I dont know what to do? ive been reading rasing children in a toxic world and am horrified, no wonder there are problems and reactions.. DH would kill me if i didnt, but deep down imworrying that putting this stuff into my baby is soo wrong, i never get any boosters or shots, i feel i dont need to. i never get sick. the nurse talked me into getting the whooping cough booster for DD's sake so i did, i reacted and now have a lump on my shoulder 2 months later..

#2 -river-

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:56 PM

You sound like me! I'm very worried about what vaccines are doing to our children.

My DD had all her shots because I was a sheep and didn't ask questions. DS had his first lot and started having seizures. After DS's reaction I started looking up information on vaccines, I now have both my boys on a delayed schedule.

I'm not against vaccines becuase I feel in some cases (not all) the vaccine may be less risk, but I do think there are too many vaccines.

With DS2 he has only had one DTaP and Vit K (at birth becuase he had bruising). I read that Australia is at the tail end of a Whooping Cough outbreak so I decided this was one vaccine I couldn't delay. I have also read that the vaccine isn't very effective and the strain has mutated but with all the information I have decided what is best for my children, I have went with a delayed schedule.

Edited by MRBM, 28 September 2010 - 01:57 PM.

#3 justine89

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:41 PM

yes i think we are on the same page, your brave with DS having seizures, i would have freakedout completely.

have you read chemical free kids? really interesting book with a chapter on the chemicals in vaccines.

#4 aluminium

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:50 PM

I worry too but I look at it like this. The chance of a reaction is very, very minimal. These vaccinations (most of them - not the flu one but the others) have been trialled and used for a long, long time. They are helping keep very scary, harmful, potentially deadly diseases away from our kids.

What we need to remember is that if we don't vaccinate out kids, there is a chance these diseases could re-occur in a bad way (like in a third world country) and then society will be worse off. We forget, because we live in such easy times, that these are very bad things and that is why we vaccinate. They are diseases that reduce the quality of life and can kill.

As with anything there is a risk but I feel a social obligation to protect my kids as best I can, and the world my kids (and potential grandkids) have to live in. I want one that is free from disease and illness. I would never forgive myself if my kid caugt measles and ended up compromising her immune system and dying.

You need to make a rational decision here, not an emotional one.  Good luck.

#5 justine89

Posted 28 September 2010 - 02:55 PM

hmm yes thats how i feel, i couldnt forgive myself either if she caught something and it was my choice to not vaccinate..

#6 -river-

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:02 AM

The world will never be free from disease and illness.

Do what you feel is right for your child.

#7 envs

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:15 AM

The vaccine that would have protected my baby will only be available from next year.

It was available overseas from early this year. If only we lived in Ireland.....

Yes, the world will never be free of illness and disease but does that mean we avoid vaccines altogether? If a generation goes without vaccines because we all feel it's been eradicated, we will be back at square one.

#8 -river-

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:22 AM

Yes, the world will never be free of illness and disease but does that mean we avoid vaccines altogether? If a generation goes without vaccines because we all feel it's been eradicated, we will be back at square one.

This is exactly why I have my DS's on a delayed schedule. I wouldn't feel right if I didn't vaccinate but I feel with my children I need to be careful with vaccines.

#9 sillarn

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:54 AM

"im terrified of DD reacting, she didnt with her first lot. Im terrified of not vaxing."

Yes, I do recall feeling this way when my DD was a newborn and I was faced with taking responsibility for the decision of vaccination. I think the responsibility feels greater if you decide not to vax as it is not the mainstream decision, whereas if you vaccinate similar to the schedule you can really feel like that it has someone else's authority over it eg.government, AMA etc. and not feel quite so on your own. Ultimately, you are the one left to manage any illnesses or negative effects of diseases or side-effects. So the cost-benefit decisions should be a personal one taking into account your own child's health history and risk factors (eg. level of exposure to other kids, allergies, breathing problems, side effects to previous vaccinations, chemical sensitivites...)

This issue is a minefield so good luck. I just saw the details of an upcoming seminar today by a Dr (as in scientist)  who was involved in the development of Cotwatch (the alarm that goes off after babies stop breathing in cots). She states that as a rule, if a breathing is going to stop, it does so after a vaccination.  

i feel it's a 2 sided argument. I personally have not vaccinated my kids (pre-school age) and main motivation was to decrease their chance of allergies, as allergies/asthma have had a huge impact on my life (not to mention being life threatening illnesses in themselves). I did my research on this area because it was relevant to my family history. I am happy with our decision.

#10 SeaPrincess

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:06 AM

We vaccinate.  In 1974, my brother died of what is now a vaccine-preventable disease.  I had measles and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

That said, my main advice to you is to make sure that you confirm anything you read with an Australian source.  Vaccine formulations, preservatives, etc are not the same from one country to another, and in particular, the mercury-based preservatives.

Also, it doesn't take long for a disease to return to prevalence.  When I was in year 9, my year was the "last" group to get routine TB shots at school before it was taken off the schedule.  Within 5 years, the incidence of TB had increased so much that it was back on the schedule when my brother was in year 9.

R

#11 MyMiracleBabies

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:05 PM

Hi,

My eldest child is vaccinated. My youngest has his 4 year vaccination that is due next year. He will not be getting it, nor if i have more children will they be vaccinated. Both of my children developed breathing problems due to the vaccinations. My youngest child gets severe asthma that we have almost lost him twice, all due to vaccinations. I never asked anything about the vaccinations which i feel very guilty about. Seeing now all the things that my kids are going through due to vaccinations makes me very angry that this information is not shared.

There are a lot of things that you can read to see the ingredients tht are going into your baby and if i had of seen it before i had kids they would never have had any.

The kids in USA who died from whooping cough were the ones who had been vaccinated. The ones who were not vaccinated did not even get it. If you dont get the vaccinations do as we do, eat healthy and organic and your child will not get sick. Our kids are getting sick from the food and chemicals all around us.

#12 Gurt

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (MRBM @ 28/09/2010, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not against vaccines becuase I feel in some cases (not all) the vaccine may be less risk, but I do think there are too many vaccines.

That is how I feel as well. There is a vaccine for everything! I am scared my grandchildren will be having 50 by the time they are 1, but I also would hate for Polio etc to make a return due to not vaccinating and have them dying again of such a horrid disease. After watching a child with whooping cough, it is scary and straight away I thought, thank goodness I vaccinated or I would be blaming myself for her suffering as I would have been thinking a vaccine could have prevented this (even though it didn't BUT it was mild probably due to vaccination). Such a hard decision to make OP, I totally get your concerns and I hope whatever decision you make you and your DH are happy with it and your DD healthy x.

#13 Gurt

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE (MyMiracleBabies @ 12/10/2010, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The kids in USA who died from whooping cough were the ones who had been vaccinated. The ones who were not vaccinated did not even get it. If you dont get the vaccinations do as we do, eat healthy and organic and your child will not get sick. Our kids are getting sick from the food and chemicals all around us.

Can I ask where you got this from? It is my understanding that most deaths from whooping cough are in babies too young to be vaccinated so would love to see the source of y our info so I can have a read. Thank you original.gif

#14 Maple Leaf

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:24 PM

I think all the people that can get vaccinated,should. It helps to protect the wider community and that includes the people that medically can't get vaccinated.

There is another big whooping cough outbreak in QLD. It is something that should have been wiped out years ago IMO.

Read this:
http://www.danamccaffery.com/

Edited by Maple Leaf, 22 October 2010 - 12:28 PM.

#15 bekhenry

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:10 PM

All i can say is read the product infomation of each vaccine - scary stuff, here is a quote off the H-B vax II :"As with any vaccine, there is the possibility that broad use of the vaccine could reveal adverse reactions not observed in clinical trials."
The clinical trials were with 653 healthy infants over 5 days after a vaccine - thats not a lot of the population and further no studies have ever been done on children who are not entirely healthy. It states on almost all vaccine information that you should not vaccinate if a child is unwell in any way - even a temperature.
Just please do the research before you make up your mind.
Bek

#16 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:36 AM

There is also a whooping cough outbreak in Victoria right now.  

I was a little apprehensive when it was time to vaccinate my DD as I had seen some of the negative stuff around (especially on this board).  So I did my research and could not find any reputable evidence that convinced me to either avoid or delay vaccinations.  I vaccinate by the schedule and neither of my children have had any bad reactions that caused me concern.  Neither have my friends kids, so I am very comfortable with my decision.  I do get them vaccinated at our GP, who examines each child before they have the vaccine, so they will never receive it if they are unwell.

There is so much spurious and downright incorrect anti-vaccination info on the web that it becomes a minefield for any parent trying to educate themselves on this topic. sad.gif

#17 bekhenry

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:10 PM

I agree that it is very hard to find reputable information, both sides can be very biased and quote things that are misleading. The thing i found most helpful and unbiased was reading about how the body works, how you would naturally catch a disease eg, you would never catch 3 or more diseases naturally at the same time and how your body defends itself. Vaccines bypass the majority of your immune system and go directly into your blood stream along with the aluminium and formaldehyde ect.
I understand it is rare to hear of reactions among people you know but that dosnt mean that they are safe and havent caused any damage.

#18 purplekitty

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (bekhenry @ 25/10/2010, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree that it is very hard to find reputable information, both sides can be very biased and quote things that are misleading. The thing i found most helpful and unbiased was reading about how the body works, how you would naturally catch a disease eg, you would never catch 3 or more diseases naturally at the same time and how your body defends itself. Vaccines bypass the majority of your immune system and go directly into your blood stream along with the aluminium and formaldehyde ect.
I understand it is rare to hear of reactions among people you know but that dosnt mean that they are safe and havent caused any damage.

Vaccines are not given directly into the bloodstream.
Aluminium in Vaccines:What you should know.
Vaccine Safety

It is worthwhile reading this:-
Evaluating Health Information on the Internet
It makes it easier to recognise unreliable sources.

#19 tenar

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:49 PM

There's a *lot* of misinformation about this online.

Go ask your doctor.  They are the ones who really understand this.  Not you, not me, not random people online.

They way I see it is like this:

vaccine = small risk of having a bad reaction.  Nobody says the bad reactions don't happen (though some of the ones that anti-vaccination folks go on about have been researched in great detail and no connection found to the vaccines).  

not-vaccinating = small risk of death, larger risk of other nasty complications from catching the disease.  

It's really a no-brainer, put that way.  Death from one of the diseases vaccines protect us against is worse than any possible bad reaction to a vaccine.  

#20 tenar

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (bekhenry @ 25/10/2010, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um, if something getting into your bloodstream is somehow unnatural, how does that explain things like the diseases carried by mosquitoes.  

Actually, there is so much more stuff (viruses, bacteria, whatever) in your average mouthful of dirt that any kid will pick up and munch on (well DD used to when she was a baby, maybe it was just her) than in a vaccine.,  Our bodies are amazing: we deal with millions of challenges to our immune systems every day.  Immunisations are trivial compared that.

Anyway, vaccinations aren't given into the bloodstream anyway.  They are given into muscle.  The only parts of our natural immune defences that they skip are your nose/throat etc.  Just like the mosquito... And vaccinations are designed to trigger the immune system into action, not bypass it (what would be the point of that?).  

Just sayin... original.gif

Edited by tenar, 25 October 2010 - 08:54 PM.

#21 upup

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:54 PM

Tenar I don't mean to pick but lots of children have lost their life to vaccines too. 80 girls in the US alone have died from Gardasil. There are plenty of vaccine deaths.

I agree there are risks both ways. It might be a no brainer to you but if you have done the amount of research that I have it is as far from a no brainer as you can get.

ETA Thank you purple Kitty for those links they are quite intereting.

Edited by upup, 25 October 2010 - 08:57 PM.

#22 purplekitty

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE (upup @ 25/10/2010, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tenar I don't mean to pick but lots of children have lost their life to vaccines too. 80 girls in the US alone have died from Gardasil. There are plenty of vaccine deaths.

"As of May 31, 2010, there have been 53 U.S. reports of death among females who have received Gardasil. Twenty nine of these reports have been confirmed and 24 remain unconfirmed due to no identifiable patient information in the report such as a name and contact information to confirm the report. Confirmed reports are those that scientists have followed up on and have verified the claim. In the 29 reports confirmed, there was no unusual pattern or clustering to the deaths that would suggest that they were caused by the vaccine."

Reports of health concerns following HPV vaccination

Interesting to note "As of May 31, 2010, approximately 29.5 million doses of Gardasil were distributed in the United States."

#23 starsg

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:15 PM

there are definitely risks both ways and arguments for both sides of the question regarding vaxxing. it can be pretty hard to find unbiased info IME. the film Vaccine Nation is worth a watch, you could maybe google it as i couldnt find a working link, its past my bedtime!

the fearmongering/statistic thing i dont buy into as they can be twisted to suit both sides of the debate, but the personal stories from parents who'd had their kids vaxxed and not had good outcomes is pretty powerful stuff. worth a look anyway if you can fish through the rhetoric to the facts! not saying im buying everything they say though.

edited to change link as couldn't find one that worked

Edited by starsg, 25 October 2010 - 11:26 PM.

#24 bekhenry

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:27 PM

Sorry my mistake, they are given into the muscle and the blood vessels in the muscles transport the vaccine through the cardiovascular system into the bloodstream. The point i was trying (and failing) to make was that by bypassing the nose/throat, saliva and tonsils you body dosnt have the same response to identifing the disease and creating antibodies. Vaccines do trigger the immune system but in such a way that the body isnt used to and hasnt had time to develop a build up of antibodies.                All this in the underdeveloped immune system of babies and childen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.