- a couple of nighties
- lots of maternity pads
- a few pairs of nanna undies

Any other suggestions are welcome!

#52 Soontobegran

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

Speculum Expelli :smile:

View Post~iMum~, on 15 August 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

Doh. I knew it was a dumb question. lol.

Would you recommend support briefs for afterwards? I've been doing some reading online overnight and some ladies have suggest that these can help by keeping the tummy firm when moving about.

I just wore high waisted light lycra knickers.......nothing too tight but just felt like I had some support.
My tummy muscles were cut though as I had an abdominal hysterectomy........I don't see that support briefs would be too much assistance after a vaginal hysterectomy but they won't do any harm.

Good luck with your surgery...... it was one of the single best things to happen to me in terms of my general health and even though mine was a rather dramatic experience which I had no choice but to have I am glad my body made the decision for me.
Definitely nighties...the stretchy cotton knit type or you'll find yourself wearing those horrible cotton hospital gowns the entire time and they are so uncomfortable.

Just to add my recovery was excellent and was allowed to drive when I had no pain when I pressed my leg to the ground. It was a while ago but I am pretty sure I was back in the car before 2 weeks was up.
Everyone has a different experience of recovery of course but just want to say mine was surprisingly easy to get over

#53 Soontobegran

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:29 AM

View Postyellowtulips74, on 10 February 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

Thanks so much, Expelliarmus.

Today's shopping list:
- a couple of nighties
- lots of maternity pads
- a few pairs of nanna undies

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Some lip balm....my lips are always like the Sahara desert post anaesthetic.

Good luck :smile:

#54 kshy

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:59 AM

I am 5 weeks post surgery for a hystrectomy - also had a huge tumour removed so my surgery was a vertical cut

Definately the nanna undies

I am not a fan of nighties so took bigger size cotton pajamas - no issue with them running or pressing on the scar and have easy access to the doctors and nurses

I took slippers for walking around the hospital but was much easier in my thongs

I am still not able to drive yet, still can't stretch  out without some pain and still extremely exhausted, I usually end up having a couple of naps a day

I was also told I needed to check with my insurance if I would be covered before the six weeks was up as the doctor recommended no driving for that time. I have not checked as I know I am not ready to drive yet and have support here for another week

#55 yellowtulips74

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

View Postsoontobegran, on 10 February 2014 - 08:29 AM, said:

Some lip balm....my lips are always like the Sahara desert post anaesthetic.

Good luck :smile:

Ah, good advice, thank you!

One silly question... will they want to shave down there at all?

#56 Expelliarmus

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:38 PM

I didn't have to shave. The nurse was surprised I hadn't and was about to give me a razor but came back saying I didn't need to so I think it depends on your surgeon. I did have to scrub with special soap though before the surgery and put on the sexy theatre clothing and compression stockings.

Shave/wax your legs. The stockings coming on and off and long hairy legs do NOT mix. *shudder* Damn you winter forests!

#57 shaggybanks

Posted 14 March 2015 - 03:51 PM

Hi, Thought Id come on here to check out any info on Hysterectomys and it seems all is very quiet in this part of EB. Is there anyone out there who has recently been through a Hysterectomy?

Might need to look in other areas

#58 Expelliarmus

Posted 14 March 2015 - 04:03 PM

Have you been to hystersisters.com?

#59 Serenzy

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:08 PM

I second hystersisters.com, it's a fantastic site.  I had my hyster 6 months ago, had a rough recovery but now feel it was one of the best things I've ever done.

#60 Expelliarmus

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:10 PM

Mine was 18 months ago - it's all normal now. Not much to add :)

#61 JamJah

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:49 PM

View Postshaggybanks, on 14 March 2015 - 03:51 PM, said:

Hi, Thought Id come on here to check out any info on Hysterectomys and it seems all is very quiet in this part of EB. Is there anyone out there who has recently been through a Hysterectomy?

Might need to look in other areas

I've just logged in and saw this thread and thought the same.  When is your surgery? Mine is in a fortnight :)

#62 Lusamicbe

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:21 PM

I am due to have my hysterectomy in 3 weeks. I'm scared :(

#63 CalEliKat

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:07 PM

I am having a hysterectomy in a week.  It is a vaginal one.  I am just wondering if anybody as any advice or tips to offer on recovery.

#64 Expelliarmus

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:44 PM

When they say don't lift anything heavier than a dinner plate they mean exactly that. Take it seriously. Take six weeks to recover. You may feel fine and want to/can do gentle things and by all means do them. But don't feel obliged and don't rush it. Driving uses abdominal muscles you didn't know were there. Go easy and don't rush - you'd be surprised the stress putting your foot on the brakes can have on your abdomen.

Rest and take it easy. They really mean it. Don't skimp. :)

#65 CalEliKat

Posted 20 July 2016 - 01:29 PM

Thanks Expelli. How long was your hospital stay, my surgeon told me 2 to 5 nights.

#66 CalEliKat

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:13 PM

Ok, so it's done.  It was done today.  Instead of vaginally it ended up being abdominal.  I came in bleeding very heavily from a hideous period so I won't miss that.  I have a lovely private room, fentanyl on tap and TENS machines on my legs.  I have had a clexane injection and I am fading in and out.  Damn I need a coffee.

#67 Expelliarmus

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:22 PM

Sorry, I didn't see your question.

I was told 2-5 also. I was in for 10 as I got a mystery infection. I didn't need any pain relief but did get some awful wind pain. I also felt quite unwell when I had the fever but not actually any pain. I hated the thing on my legs though! Necessary but annoyed the crap outta me!

Enjoy the private room!

#68 Mrs_Maker

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:29 AM

I'm glad you are recovering well Calelikat, I am booked in for a vaginal hysterectomy on 4th October, so looking forward to it, have pretty much been bleeding for 2 year, and had Mirena in 18 months ago which did nothing.  I am on progesterone 3 times a day, and still get bleeding!

Why did you end up having an abdominal?

Edited by Mrs_Maker, 28 July 2016 - 10:41 AM.

#69 CalEliKat

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:20 PM

My gynae said that to do a vaginal hysterectomy there has to be at least a small prolapse in the uterus.  Apparently mine was tucked up tight.  Today I have come off my PCA and nasal prongs, the nurses bathed me this morning and soon I will have my catheter out.  I just had soup and a sandwich too and feel much better

#70 Mrs_Maker

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:47 PM

Glad you are feeling much better, will be great to have catheter out.

Hmm my Gyno said that she should be able to do it vaginally, once I am under, she pulls on my uterus to test if it moves enough to come out, if not, she will do key hole.  Sort of dreading waking up with full abdo, as it would mean longer not driving, I have been told with vaginal I could be back driving in about a week.

Hope you get that coffee soon!

Off to read the rest of this thread to see what else i need to get prepared before the op :-)

#71 CalEliKat

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:50 PM

I got my giant coffee when my BFF came in bearing gifts.  I am up and about now.  I can walk the 8 steps to my bathroom.  I am all attachment free and waiting for a visit from DH and kiddos

#72 Mrs_Maker

Posted 28 July 2016 - 04:07 PM

Great news!

I just read the thread, so nighties, slippers, nanna undies, and lip balm needed lol

Anything else you recommend?

#73 CalEliKat

Posted 28 July 2016 - 04:17 PM

I am staying for a while so I have a portable DVD player a season of a show I haven't seen before, a book, handcream, dry shampoo (I can't shower until tomorrow but had a sponge bath today and my hair is manky), something to suck on like butter menthols, I have a fridge so my friend brought me in some strawberries.

#74 CalEliKat

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:14 PM

I have developed a fever this evening.  I suppose a post op fever isn't uncommon.  My sats are pretty low too so I may end up back on oxygen.

Edited by CalEliKat, 28 July 2016 - 05:15 PM.

#75 MrsLexiK

Posted 28 July 2016 - 05:33 PM

Get better soon hope it's nothing to worry about x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.