Male midwife part 3

84 replies to this topic

#76 Franni

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (red door @ 11/12/2011, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would not be comfortable and would ask for a different midwife, but I don't think you will have a problem- most women are still passively quiet about their vulnerability during birth, so they will smile and make nice. Good luck.

This is me, I would not be comfortable.

Edited by Franni, 16 April 2012 - 04:06 PM.

#77 Xiola

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

I know for sure that it wouldn't be for me.  I saw a male midwife briefly whilst in labour with DS2 and I didn't really feel comfortable with him, he was perfectly nice and I'm sure a good midwife but for me, I like a woman's touch when I'm in that headspace.

#78 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

I'm amazed at how many people wouldn't want a male midwife, and yet so many Obs are male!

I would have no issue at all with a male midwife, as long as they were professional and knew what they were doing... Same as with a female midwife. You shouldn't need to have some elitist degree to have a place in women's health care - which is what anyone who objects to a male midwife is saying.

#79 MickeyBoo

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

I would still love to hear from women about their experiences with a male midwife. Would you have one? What did your partner think? How would you feel about having one? Love to hear from you...

I had a male midwife with my first baby and he was brilliant. I admit I was initially surprised that he was a midwife as I think I was just used to it being a very woman dominated career, but I was over it within seconds laughing2.gif I had no issues with him being there or attending to the labour. I had two older female midwives at that birth who got very snarky with me and abrupt, I felt that they were overly critical of me and judgemental (I had been telling them I was in labour for three hours before they believed me and DS was born just 2 hours after they finally accepted that I was actually in pain) But he stayed calm, rational and it was his voice that broke through the pain barrier and got me to pay attention and move where they needed me to move and actually get through the whole birthing process. If it wasn't for him being in control of the room I would have felt very alone during that labour.  

I gave birth in a public hospital and almost everyone I speak to has heard of him or recommends him as a midwife. My partner had no issue with me having a male midwife attend, just as he's had no issues with the male OB's that have done my induction and done my ARM the last three times I've been in labour.

#80 Franni

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:29 AM

QUOTE (MsN @ 16/04/2012, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm amazed at how many people wouldn't want a male midwife, and yet so many Obs are male!

I would have no issue at all with a male midwife, as long as they were professional and knew what they were doing... Same as with a female midwife. You shouldn't need to have some elitist degree to have a place in women's health care - which is what anyone who objects to a male midwife is saying.

I think you're wrong.
I think OB's and midwives have different roles, whom I feel comfortable with while at my most vulnerable  isn't something you should feel you have a right  to judge.

#81 Feralishous

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:53 AM

I had a male midwife with my first, and will probably see him with my second (small rural hospital)
He was great!
actually took me seriously when i said I think Ive SROM'd at 1am, when the other midwife didnt even look, just told me to go to sleep as they were AROMing in the morning.
He was great support, knew what I needed (to be left alone) and I trust his care.
To me its the person, not their gender, that makes a difference

#82 johntanya

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

Had an interesting conversation with a female nurse about me and middy. Although she has teenage children now, her preference would be for a male gynae.  Her reasoning, they are more respectful and gentle when it comes to examinations.

The more women I meet, 99% say it would not bother them if they had a male midwife. With the 1% that decline, I am highly respectful of their decision.  In this area, if a woman (and partner) doesn;t have complete trust in you, the labour and birth will not be a memorable experience.

I love being a midwife!! biggrin.gif

#83 Poss and Soss

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

I'd have no trouble at all with a male midwife.

#84 R2B2

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:25 AM

My male midwife is the best! couldn't imagine things going any other way!
well done to you!

#85 johntanya

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (trishalishous @ 18/04/2012, 02:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To me its the person, not their gender, that makes a difference

Love that quote...   biggrin.gif

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.