FIFO Buddy Group #4

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
100 replies to this topic

#51 jomumof2

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:05 PM

Hi baby-blue eyes waves.gif ,
My hubby works in the Pilbara and we live in Vic. He does 9days on 5 days off. Our children are Boy 5.5 years and Girl 3.5 years. Everyone has an opinion on FIFO families. All my friends say how quick the time goes, how great it would be to have time out (ha this is funny laughing2.gif ), and all the things you mentioned. They forget you have the kids on your own and are doing everything yourself, working, managing the house, spending time with the kids, etc oomg.gif . Don't get me wrong FIFO is working for us and we have our routines etc and the kids love the 5 full days with dad every 2nd weekend, it is better time with him than when he worked 5 days a week (longer hours). I also work 3 days per week in a business we are partners in, so that also keeps me and the kids busy.You always have your bad days but need to work out if you have more bad days than good and ask yourself if FIFO is really working for you and your family. The answer for us is YES so we will keep going and working towards our goal. If the answer for you is NO than i would sit down with hubby and duscuss the options availabe so you and the kids are happy. Have you made a plan on how long you would like to keep doing FIFO work? Does your hubby know how you and the kids feel about it all this time? Is moving back an option for you?
I'm probably not much help for you but thought asking the above questions might sort out a few things for you and also to let you know we are all in the same boat and i'm here for a chat if you feel like venting.

I find when hubby is away and friends invite us out to a function etc, I feel awkward going on my own and don't want people to think i'm out having a great time while hubby is away working. I dont want people to think i'm mopping around but i don't want them to think i'm having a blast not having him around. IFYWIM shrug.gif

Things that help us are getting the kids to talk and skype with dad every day and he talks to them just before bed time. We count down the days until he is home, email pics and any special things to dad to make him feel apart of the family and to give him the heads up before he talks to the kids and he can ask them about it before the have to tell him. I scan awards, pictures, anything really. We try and plan a special family day when he is home, go to the movies or an outing and dinner as well as just quiet time at home.

Anyway these are some of the things we do, they work for us and I hope you are feeling a little less frustrated and knowthat we all know how you feel.
Take care and hope to hear from you soon.
Cheers Jo

Edited by jomumof2, 17 July 2011 - 10:08 PM.

#52 Just Mel

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:22 PM

Hi Ladies!
Haven't been on EB for ages and just got a topic notification thingo to my email saying someone had relied here so firgured it's a good excuse to pop back in wink.gif

Hi to all the new ladies original.gif Will try and come back later when i ahve more time to give my "survival" tips for those early months but just quickly, keep your chins up, it does get better! Those first 6 or so months are the hardest of all, especially without support, but it does get easier as time goes by original.gif

We are all good here, absolutely flat out most of the time but good all the same original.gif We have been in our house about 3 weeks now and all is going well. I still have about a gazzillion boxes to unpack but I am getting there slowly so maybe by this time next year we will be unpacked! hahaha

The kiddos are all good too, school holidays at the moment so we are all enjoying the sleep ins and later nights wink.gif Just before the holidays Hamish got accepted into a junior extension program (Kind of like PEAC for younger kids) so he is very excited about that...Jessie not so much, I had to reassure her that they didn't have that program when she was in year 2! LOL

Anyways, better run the kids are fighting...what was I saying about loving holidays?! LOL

Hope all is good with everyone and I will try and be back soon original.gif

#53 ozymarah

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:29 PM

Jumping in here to say hi. original.gif DH starts up at Clermont this week on a 12/9 roster. We are looking forward to the new job as he has had trouble finding good paying work since retiring from the military.

We have three kids and I work 28hrs a week so no doubt I will be busy! Would love to know if there is anyone else on the East Coast.

M:)

#54 Oma Desala

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:04 PM

Hi Ozymarah, I'm on the east coast too ( around Brisbane).  DF works offshore (22/20) and is also ex defence.

We have a DS5 and I don't work at the moment

Edited by Oma Desala, 25 September 2011 - 11:07 PM.

#55 Em1982

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

Hi my DH is looking into employment in the mining industry as he has been self employed for 20+years and feels he needs a change.

He has been in contact with an employment web site called Mining Australia and they are asking for a payment of $200+ so before we take the next step I was wondering if anyone knows any thing about this site and if it is ligit or not...

Thanks original.gif

#56 2_little_boys

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

Hi

Looks quite in here sad.gif

I am in Adelaide and hubby is currently waiting on his medical.  3 interviews down for the same job.  Job is based in WA.

We have 2 boys - nearly 5yo and nearly 9yo.

I work fulltime also so it might be a bit of a challenge to do this but Im sure it will be fine original.gif

Look forward to getting to know people in here original.gif

#57 FeralSingleMum

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

Hi,

I didn't even know this thread was here!

I am fairly new to the FIFO lifestyle. DH does 3/1 at the moment but that could be changing to 4/1 because the work is picking up.

We moved about 7 months ago from QLD to WA. I left behind all my family and friends. I am slowly making friends but would love to make some more so if anyone can recommend a mothers group or playgroup for FIFO families that would be great original.gif

ETA: I am in Port Kennedy but I would be willing to drive original.gif

Edited by DH+Me+2, 17 February 2012 - 12:16 PM.

#58 Chillbub

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:52 PM

Hi Im A FIFO mum to be .... in Perth - love to meet some other mums like me!!

#59 ~ky~

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:54 AM

My DH starts his induction next week and will going to Gwalia Deeps on a 2/1 roster. We're looking forward to spending more time with him after having run the WA branch of the company he used to work for out of our home office and his work day often extending from 3am - 9pm which meant the kids missed out and so did he.

I have 3 kids. Bella 11yo, Daniel 9yo and Anna 3 months old. I also live in Port Kennedy. We'll have to see how we go ...

#60 sportysmurf

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

Hi everyone!

I was a member here on EB years ago when I had DD#1...that was 9 years ago now, time goes so quick.  I also have DD#2 (8yrs).

We live in NZ and DH is on his 3rd swing of FIFO in WA.  Hes on a 4/1 (weeks) and omg its haaaaarrrrd!!  Such a long swing, but any shorter would be insane, considering he would have to fly back to NZ more than the once a month he does atm.  We cant relocate over to OZ as we have commitments here...so we will just truck on and see how we go.

FIFO is pretty much unheard of here, and when he first went over, there was alot of gossip lol.  But things have settled down and just getting on with things.  I miss DH, but the $$ is amazing and will get us ahead alot quicker.  I work part time in so keep busy with that and the kids.

I'll check back on this thread original.gif

#61 Cams

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:18 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm another FIFO wife. Hubby is on a 5 week on 5 week off rotation although this can sometimes change depending on change of contracts and other issues.

We're in SA and his current contract which is almost finished is in WA.

Have been living the FIFO lifestyle for the past 4 years and now with our first bub on the way in October he would still like to continue this for a few more years to get set up for life. Feeling a little nervous about it and worried about the isolation whilst I'm home with bub and he's away at work for so long. Can't wait until bub arrives though and it will sure make for an interesting challenge.

Kind of over the judgement I get from people about us living this lifestyle. It has worked well for us and we have been able to afford things and go on amazing holidays that we wouldn't have been able to if he weren't doing this work.

Hope everyone is going well.

Sportysmurf - I don't know how you do the 4/1 roster. I've kind of experienced it on one occasion and found it so hard that hubby was home for such a short time (ended up being home for two weeks instead of his usual five). Was absolute torture for me although this was also after him being away for 9 weeks and this was all right after our honeymoon. Torture I tell you!! I hope they are at least consistent for you, the consistency or lack there of is what drives me nuts the most at times.

#62 2_little_boys

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

Wow Sportysmurf!  NZ to WA is a huge leap.

DH does Adelaide to WA and thats bad enough.

Do you guys have to pay from NZ to WA or does the mine pay for the lot?

#63 ~ky~

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (2_little_boys @ 11/05/2012, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you guys have to pay from NZ to WA or does the mine pay for the lot?

I'd love to know because DH has been making murmurs about his new job meaning we could possibly move back to NZ and I would like to know how feasible is really would be ...

DH is only just 3 days into his first ever swing and is loving it! The kids and I have still to find our routine but that will come with time. They're just so used to having Daddy here - they miss his teasing and playfighting the most.

#64 sportysmurf

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

Oops, sorry I forgot to come back!

We pay his flights from Perth - NZ (which is about $1300NZD) - as its only once a month, its totally worth it.  So they pay from Perth to camp, and camp to Perth.  All food and accom is paid for.  Its a long flight back to NZ...he gets into Perth from camp at about 9am and gets into NZ at midnight.  However, we get to spend 5 whole days together as I take time off work - this is much more time than we would normally get if he was working here.

Hes a HD Fitter, but hes just at the end of a contract, so will now be using his Plumbing trade at his next contract.  Pretty handy having two trades!!

Anyway, have a great week everyone!!

#65 2_little_boys

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

Sportysmirf - where is he located?  DH is up at Christmas Creek.

#66 sportysmurf

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

Hes at Carina, and about to start at Phils Creek original.gif

#67 fr0g

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

I never thought I'd find myself in here, but here I am!  

DH has started working FIFO; with a red-eye out on Monday morning, and home Friday evenings.  We're about to start week 3 tomorrow, and I have no idea how long it will go on for.  I have a feeling his work will be pushing to relocate, but we have a lot of things to stay in our current home state for and none of us are keen.

Does anyone else have a weekend-husband, and how do you find it?  

My son (11) seems to be the most affected, saying he feels "off his game" when his dad's not around sad.gif

The money doesn't seem exceptional, but DH has to work interstate with this company to progress.  

Anyway, I thought I had heard a while ago there was a FIFO thread, so I will keep watching!

#68 ~A2~

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:39 PM

Just bumping to see if everyone is still chatting.

Hope you are all well

Regards

Ali

#69 betsy79

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

Hi all

Does anyone still chat in here?

Im back on EB expecting our 3rd bub may next year and are living the FIFO life for the last almost 12 mths 2/1 roster

Hope to chat in here soon

Maree

#70 *dingo*

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:03 AM

Hello...
Its been a long while since I was in here last... My apologies..
So I'll start again..
Hi, my name is Jaki. My DH, Les is FIFO, 4/1 roster, up in Karratha & has been doing it coming up 5 years. We have a DS9 & twin DD 7. We live over in NSW.
4/1 sux. Always has. He was doing 6/1 for a bit there which was worse. So I am grateful for 4/1 now. LOL The Ferals know no different. Our DS 'sort of' remembers him being here before he started FIFO but the girls don't know any different at all.
I have a great support system around me. My family are non exsistent. (Long story) but we are fortunate enough to have some wonderful friends that have become our family. They have gone beyond normal 'friend' boundaries at times & stepped up to be here for me. I am lucky. But nights are still very lonely, our kids are a bit 'spirited' to say the least  blink.gif & exhaust me regularly with Dr appts, pysch appts, meltdowns... But we muddle through & at the end of the day, we are doing ok.  happy.gif

Maree... I don't know if I could do it with a newborn baby though.. Take my hat off to you Lovie. How do you feel about it all? 2/1 is a good roster though. How old are the rest of your children?

Take care,
Jaki

#71 fatbelly

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

Hey, my DH moved to Perth 18 months ago for FIFO, I stayed in New Zealand until June this year then moved over with the kids.

When I came over we moved to the South West WA.  DH is on 2/1, he only came back to NZ twice in 9 months, with his roster it wasn't worth the hassel, two flight to get to Wellington.

We have three kids and they seem to be enjoying it here, and I've joined a FIFO support group on FB which has been my saviour.  The first two ladies I met here happened to be kiwis too so that was funny.

#72 Aribika

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

Hi all.  It's been a really long time since I was here.  My DH did DIDO on a fantastic roster for 18 months or so and has now gone back to a 4 and 1 roster up north.  This is his 4th stint and I hate it.   cry1.gif

I am so not coping and neither is he.  He's looking for something else but I'm sure you all know that it's not easy.  I feel like I haven't had a break in months.  When he is home for a week he's tired after working 10 or 12 hours shifts with only two days off in four weeks and although he is involved he tends to forget the routine.  

He's taking time off at Christmas thank goodness. I'm just lonely and tired and feeling sorry for myself and I'm hoping some one can relate .  

Thanks for the vent.

Lorraine

#73 ~ky~

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:10 AM

How many of us won't have our DP/DH home for Christmas?

DH has volunteered to be a part of the skeleton crew which means instead of his rostered 2/1 coming home on the 27th, he will prob be away for 5 or more weeks.  It'll be interesting to see how the kids cope with this ...

#74 *dingo*

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

~ky~ My DH is due home on Tuesday.. We are not certain when he is leaving.. He has just finished up at Karratha but has started his induction for Onslow... So he may be home here for xmas or he may be called to start up over there ASAP.. I hate the uncertainty.. He has never been asked or volunteered for the skeleton crew in the 5 years he was up at Karratha... They always sent him home because of the kids. What a shame if your DH isn't home for xmas but, we had a plan in place for the 'just incase scenerio'.. Xmas really is just a day for kids, (well mine anyway..LOL) You could 'do' xmas when he is home?

#75 Tracieleigh

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

Hi all, mind if I jump in here?
We are in NSW and my partner started the whole FIFO deal about 3 or 4 months ago. He does 2 n 1. We lose a day travelling back and forth to WA sad.gif

I have 5 kids, only 3 at home these days. I'm ok with the being home alone, but I would like to make some friends in similar circumstances! I can't say I really "love" this lifestyle, I'd prefer him home every night I think!

Anyone else in NSW?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.