At what age does thumb sucking start?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 TwoBubbas

Posted 17 November 2010 - 11:30 AM

I am just wondering at what age babies have enough control over their hands to be able to start sucking their thumbs?  I had a terrible experience with the dummy with DD1 and DD2 is not interested in it in the slightest and spits it out.  At the moment (she's 8wks) she is trying to suck her hands and has gotten her thumb in her mouth a few times (and seems to really like it) but doesn't seem to be able to keep it in there.  I don't really mind if she sucks her thumb for comfort, as she isn't keen on the dummy.  

If anyone could tell me what age their kids began thumbsucking I'd love to know.

Thanks!

#2 jeannie22

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:57 PM

DS1 sucked fingers from about 3 days old.  And he is now nearly 4 and still does it when tired.  

DS2 is nearly 5 weeks old and has been getting hands and fingers in his mouth since the first week also.  I'm not sure about the coordination needed for thumb sucking precisely, but getting the fingers in the mouth has never been a problem for either of my 2 boys.  That said, DD never sucked on her hands or fingers at all....

#3 Kay1

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:00 PM

DS1 never did it. DS2 did it from about 2 weeks until he was about 5 months.

#4 ittybit

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:21 PM

Apparently my DD was already doing it inside my tummy (we saw her do it on the ultrasound!), however once she came out she didn't do it again till around 3-4 months. She started with her fists first, then three fingers, and now thumbs. Yup, two thumbs in her mouth at the same time, as though doing a silly face!

#5 scuttlebutt

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:27 PM

DS1 started doing it at about 7 months, which was when we stopped wrapping him - he still does it now when he is tired, he's 4.5

DS2 did it a few times around 4 months, but that was it.

#6 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:31 PM

DD2 started when they put her on my chest with the cord still attached.

#7 Guest_MamaCass67_*

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:43 PM

DD sucked her thumb in her first week of  being born, but we introduced the dummy fearing she was going to be a feisty thumb sucker, though she stilled preffered her fist. She is now 15 weeks old and has refused the dummy (happy about that) for about four or five weeks now.
She has continued with the fist sucking and now will only do that when she is getting tired or hungry, and only uses her thumb to resettle herself to sleep which is cute and a blessing for us not needing to resettle her. I find that her thumb is in her mouth for around a minute or so, and then she resettles into her arms up sleeping position.

#8 not-surprised

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:51 PM

DD would suck her fists when tired from birth. Within 2w she had occasionally managed to get one or more fingers in. She started thumb sucking regularly in her third month when she mastered being able to unclench her fist enough to make the thumb available.

Steph

#9 clare78

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:56 PM

My DD was already sucking her thumb in the womb.  On all her ultrasounds - 20, 24 and 32 weeks the good old thumb is in the mouth.

She has sucked it since she was born.  Now it goes in when she is tried or upset.

#10 MrsNorthman

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:58 PM

oops double post

Edited by aquamama, 17 November 2010 - 01:59 PM.

#11 MrsNorthman

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (heffalumpsnwoozles @ 17/11/2010, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DD2 started when they put her on my chest with the cord still attached.

mine too, i love the picture i have of it!

#12 Guest_cathode_*

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:28 PM

Depends on the baby.
My daughter was sucking her fingers when a few hours old. One of her brothers started around 3mths (thumb), the eldest never did it at all.

#13 Guest_Lilybird_*

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:18 PM

Pretty much the same as other posters. DD has sucked on her hands since birth, but only now (nearly 4 months) does she just put the thumb in their ... although if she's hungry it's usually the whole fist!

#14 laridae

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:04 PM

DD did in the first couple of weeks a few times - since then she has just stuck to sucking her fist - its too big to fit in her mouth though (she has huge hands).

#15 BeYOUtiful

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:14 AM

Pretty much the same as other posters. DD has sucked on her hands since birth, but only now (nearly 4 months) does she just put the thumb in there

Same.

This week he started sucking his thumb, at 16wks.
He doesn't like dummy either, although did take it for a little while yesterday, so I thought he may use that rather than thumb.  But when dummy fell out he stuck in his thumb.

Edited by ~Jane05~, 18 November 2010 - 11:16 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.