Worst ever novels
That everyone else seem to love (sort of spinoff)

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#1 Ridcully

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:39 PM

For me I could not stand

Bridget Jones

Confessions of a shopaholic (or diary of...the one where she gave up shopping for a year) I wanted to smack that woman silly

Lord of the Rings - flame away but he was just too descriptive! Oh, and the songs!! Bleh

#2 papilio

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:40 PM

The Blind Assassin by Margaret Attwood.  It cured my insomnia!

#3 Unatheowl

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:42 PM

Brokeback Mountain was awful

#4 vonnegutesque

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:43 PM

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Liked the movies though.

#5 mccarro

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:43 PM

I've rectently read On Beauty by Zadie Smith(?) and The Sunday Philosophy Club by Alexander McCall Smith and disliked both. I don't know about worst ever, but they were pretty sh*te.

#6 Guest_starbellied_*

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:46 PM

Iliad and Lord of the Rings.

I only tortured myself to read them because I thought everyone had tortured themselves to read them also laugh.gif

#7 Pretz

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:46 PM

Glamourama.
I should've known...it was written by Bret Easton ellis.
I don't think I'm a  a prude, but parts of it were so disgusting that I didn't want to finish it.

#8 jfl

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:50 PM

Anything by Bryce Courtney.

Awful, lumbering, overwritten glop. He is one of those writers who does a lot of research and can't bear not to squeeze every bit of it in to his books, no matter how irrelevant it is.

#9 Melissa4444

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:53 PM

My Sister's Keeper.

#10 Dionysus

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (AbsolutCara @ 02/12/2010, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Liked the movies though.

yeah, I just couldn't get into this book either - it's still sitting on my side table waiting to be opened again.

QUOTE (Pocky @ 02/12/2010, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glamourama.
I should've known...it was written by Bret Easton ellis.
I don't think I'm a  a prude, but parts of it were so disgusting that I didn't want to finish it.

I agree, absolutely disgusting and I enjoyed his others.

I couldn't stand Eat, Pray, Love - self indulgent bullsh*t    biggrin.gif

#11 Lickety Split

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:56 PM

All of the Twilight books  sick.gif

Anna Karenina

Anything by Virginia Andrews, VC Andrews or Bryce Courtney

Don Quixote

#12 anotherid

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:03 PM

The Notebook.

Loved the movie but the book was awful!

#13 misschris

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:04 PM

There was some vampire book a friend at work put me on to... Anita Blake I think it was called?

*looks it up*

Yep, the 'Anita Blake' series by Laurell K. Hamilton.

I've never had to stop reading a book half way through, but it was SO BAD (the first one in the series)... I spent months afterwards confused about how something so poorly written could ever have been published.

The series is up to something like 15 books!   ohmy.gif

#14 i-am-me

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:07 PM

I know I will be the first of many who couldn't/wouldn't finish Eat Pray Love.

How so many people love it I will never understand.

#15 RheaNikita

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:10 PM

Lord of the Rings as well.. I just want to scream "Get to the point dammit!".. I have tried to read it so many times but always end up wanting to throw it against a wall.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.. I just find the humor so dull, and the whole story line is hinging on the humor, there isn't any substance in the characters.

Anything in the Chick Lit genre!! I'd rather listen to nails on a chalkboard that put myself through reading books like that.

DH says I'm a book snob.. he's probably right!

#16 CherrySunday

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:10 PM

Twilight.

Of Mice & Men

#17 eccentricity

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:12 PM

I second Virginia Andrews. Especially the book called 'Heaven'.

#18 RheaNikita

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:13 PM

Oh! The Charlaine Harris True Blood books.. I absolutely FORCED my way through the first three and then just had to give up, oh god they were so bad!

anotherid.. I agree, most of Nicholas Sparks books are pretty painful actually!

#19 lizardqueen

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:14 PM

I read a lot and try to forget which books I wasted brain cells on, so this list is not complete:
The Bride Stripped Bare - "Anonymous" (Nikki Gemmell should have stayed anonymous after writing that tripe).
The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown - nuff said!
Vernon God Little - DBC Pierre - couldn't make out the story from all the swearing
The Gathering - Anne Enright - zzzzzzzzz
The Post Birthday World - Lionel Shriver - wanted to beat the charactes over the head with a pool cue
The Devil Wears Prada - Lauren Weisberger - the film was a vast improvement on the novel, for a change

LQ

#20 Cheryl_v

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:15 PM

The Crimson Petal and the White.  It was terrible but it's made at least one of those lists of books you must read.  The characters were unappealing but I struggled through hoping that at least the end would pay - and it just stopped without ending.  You get to the end of the book and there's no finish to the storyline.  I threw the book across the room and I'm never going to read a book I don't like just to finish it again.

#21 aluminium

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:16 PM

LOL@ Lord of the Rings comments.

I enjoy Tolkein but I had forgotten how he rambles on - I bought a class set of The Hobbit and halway through teaching it wanted to throttle Bilbo!

Everyone raves about James Joyce "A Porttrait of the Artist As A Young Man" - I hated it.

#22 vonnegutesque

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (**Mel** @ 02/12/2010, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah, I just couldn't get into this book either - it's still sitting on my side table waiting to be opened again.

I am the kind who needs to finish a book when started, no matter how bad, so I pushed through till the end. I think it was the endless, mind numbing genealogy description that got me.

#23 bubbabelly

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (i-am-me @ 02/12/2010, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know I will be the first of many who couldn't/wouldn't finish Eat Pray Love.

How so many people love it I will never understand.

This exactly!

#24 bentkitty

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:17 PM

My biggest disappointments were:

Atonement (Ian McEwan)
Secret History (Donna Tart)
Girl with Dragon Tattoo - I mean it wasn't a bad book but just an average thriller IMO, didnt see what the fuss was about!
Crossstitch (Diana Gabaldon) - I only recently read this and despite being big time into historical fiction & sci-fi I just found this a bit naff and dated...

#25 Lyra

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (candida @ 02/12/2010, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Blind Assassin by Margaret Attwood.  It cured my insomnia!

You wash your mouth out! There is no such thing as a bad Margaret Attwood

For me it would have to be anything by that awful Picoult woman and The Davinci code which consists entirely of running around famous French landmarks espousing exposition and then running off again. Awful turgid nonsense

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.