Worst ever novels
That everyone else seem to love (sort of spinoff)

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#26 Guest_Descentia_*

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (Pocky @ 02/12/2010, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glamourama.
I should've known...it was written by Bret Easton ellis.
I don't think I'm a  a prude, but parts of it were so disgusting that I didn't want to finish it.

Oh I LOVED this book. Bret Easton Ellis is my fave writer.

I hate those stupid ones by Jodi Picoult. Terrible terrible books, ham handed writing, obvious plots and annoying.

OK I also find Gabriel García Márquez books annoyingly wishy washy and boring. I love Ian McEwan though.

Edited by Descentia, 02 December 2010 - 07:22 PM.

#27 meaghanflametree

I love you all.  

Ernest Bloody Hemingway.  I am still sulking over being forced to finish A Farewell to Arms.

However, my all-time most-loathed book ever is Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead.  Sociopathic sh*te - don't get me started.

(I did love the Hitchhiker's Trilogy, though - maybe you had to read it at 14 to feel the nostalgia (this might be true of Monty Python as well), and a lot of the attraction of both was in sharing the cult with your mates.  Indeed, I still do ...)

Edited by meaghanflametree, 02 December 2010 - 07:25 PM.

#28 71Cath

QUOTE (Sarrett @ 02/12/2010, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Confessions of a shopaholic (or diary of...the one where she gave up shopping for a year) I wanted to smack that woman silly

Lord of the Rings - flame away but he was just too descriptive! Oh, and the songs!! Bleh

QUOTE (jfl @ 02/12/2010, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anything by Bryce Courtney.

Awful, lumbering, overwritten glop. He is one of those writers who does a lot of research and can't bear not to squeeze every bit of it in to his books, no matter how irrelevant it is.

QUOTE (**Mel** @ 02/12/2010, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I couldn't stand Eat, Pray, Love - self indulgent bullsh*t    biggrin.gif

Agree with all of these

And some more:

The Time Traveller's Wife

The Lovely Bones

The Devil wears Prada- and the movie was just as bad

#29 Procrastinator5000

QUOTE (candida @ 02/12/2010, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Blind Assassin by Margaret Attwood.  It cured my insomnia!

Oooh yes. And I really enjoy Margaret Atwood normally.

QUOTE (jfl @ 02/12/2010, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anything by Bryce Courtney.

Awful, lumbering, overwritten glop. He is one of those writers who does a lot of research and can't bear not to squeeze every bit of it in to his books, no matter how irrelevant it is.

Perfect description. Blech.

#30 misschris

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:23 PM

Oh I wanted to add one more.  I'm not sure it's one of the WORST EVER but it was the most painful, excruciating book I've finished - the only way I managed it was to finish it was by reading at same time as a friend and we'd review every few chapters.

If on a Winter's night a traveller - Italo Calvino.  Fabulously talented writer, but it was just so hard to finish... hard to explain even.

Edited by misschris, 02 December 2010 - 07:23 PM.

#31 travelmumma

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:25 PM

Oh no, The Fountainhead is one of my faves... :-) but I did date an architect for a while.

Couldn't understand the fuss about The Secret History, The Lovely Bones.

Was v disappointed with Maggie Alderson's first book and haven't bothered to read subsequent ones, though I love her non-fiction.

Best book I have read this year is Room by Emily Donoghue - stayed with me for days.

#32 Manderley

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:30 PM

Crossstitch (Diana Gabaldon)

I agree, bored me senseless!

#33 3spunkrats

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:35 PM

Shoot me down now

The Time Traveller's Wife

Agree. Could not finish it. The back and forth business drove me nuts!

Others on my dressing table either part read or too bad to finish
Tim Winton -Cloudstreet
Da Vinci Code
The Lovely Bones
The God of small things

#34 Fourteenyears

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:35 PM

Confessions of a shopaholic (or diary of...the one where she gave up shopping for a year) I wanted to smack that woman silly

Oh yes.  It actually made me angry.  But despite that, while pregnant, sick and not up to anything substantial I read the sequals.  blush.gif  Equally annoying.  And the movie was worse which shouldn't have been possible.

I couldn't finish Fight Club, won't read more than the single Jodi Picoult book I've already read, and didn't get more than a chapter into The Life of Pi.

I am currently struggling with The Book Thief.  Again.  Is it worth the effort?

I used to have to read books all the way through but the older I get the less time I have to persist without payoff.

Edited by sassm, 02 December 2010 - 07:35 PM.

#35 misschris

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE (sassm @ 02/12/2010, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Absolutely NOT worth the effort.

#36 GWTW

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:37 PM

Twilight

The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency

Mister Pip

Did I mention Twilight? wink.gif

#37 meaghanflametree

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:37 PM

Differing responses to a given book might depend a lot on when you read it - what rocks your world at 17 may make you puke at 35, and vice-versa (though some animosities are eternal, and just keep on giving).   Also, sometimes there is a kind of fascinated schadenfreude* in reading BadLit, largely because of the perverse happiness of writing savage reviews in your head (or in actuality, for sharing with like-minded buddies).  I got a fair way into the first Twilight doing this (though I did give up eventually.  All chick-lit opponents must obtain and read George Eliot's Silly Novels by Lady Novelists, BTW, which I cannot recommend highly enough.)

*which I couldn't spell on the first attempt, so there you go

Edited by meaghanflametree, 02 December 2010 - 07:42 PM.

#38 Nappypin

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:40 PM

The da Vinci Code for me.

#39 BitsandBobs

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (3spunkrats @ 02/12/2010, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shoot me down now

Agree. Could not finish it. The back and forth business drove me nuts!

Others on my dressing table either part read or too bad to finish
Tim Winton -Cloudstreet
Da Vinci Code
The Lovely Bones
The God of small things

Oh my goodness, 'The God of Small Things' is amazing and one of my favourites - so, so far from a 'worst ever' in my books!

ETA that 'The Book Thief' is slow but is worth the effort.

Edited by katie29, 02 December 2010 - 07:43 PM.

#40 aluminium

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:45 PM

sad.gif I love - LOVE - Cloudstreet....

#41 purplekitty

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:46 PM

The English Patient.

#42 Future-self

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:46 PM

I'm not even going to  mention Twilight- it's a given.

QUOTE (i-am-me @ 02/12/2010, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know I will be the first of many who couldn't/wouldn't finish Eat Pray Love.

Oh I finished it, through gritted teeth. I wanted my rantings of hatred to come from a position of strength so knew that I had to sacrifice a few hours of my life. I loathe this book.

QUOTE (sassm @ 02/12/2010, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love this book, so yes. It's technically Young Adult Fiction so let your adult preconceptions go and roll with it.

#43 3spunkrats

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:47 PM

katie 29
Oh my goodness, 'The God of Small Things' is amazing and one of my favourites - so, so far from a 'worst ever' in my books!

Please forgive me. I most likely had sleep deprived baby brain at the time. When I'm in the right frame of mind, I promise you I will have another go at it  wink.gif

Ditto Aluminium
I love - LOVE - Cloudstreet....

Edited by 3spunkrats, 02 December 2010 - 07:50 PM.

#44 BitsandBobs

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (aluminium @ 02/12/2010, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sad.gif I love - LOVE - Cloudstreet....

Me too!

#45 dragonfly31981

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:50 PM

Home is Where the Heart Is?

An Oprah bookclub book

#46 Joey80

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:58 PM

I thought it was just me that hated The DaVinci Code. I remember not being able to put it down for about the first 2 or 3 chapters, and then hating it but pushing through just to see what happened at the end.

I haven't reread it since I was about 18 but I did love The Power of One, but Tandia, and anything else I've read by Bryce Courtenay have been appalling. I didn't even bother finishing some.

Too lazy to read anything new these days, I just keep rereading Austen's. They're like a big warm comfy hug with words.

#47 GWTW

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:03 PM

I wanted to add The Secret History by Donna Tartt. So much potential that wimps it's  way to the end.

#48 Mel1609

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:18 PM

Well I beg to differ - I loved all The No1 Ladies Detective Agency, same with his other ones, including the Sunday Philosophers Club.

I also loved all Dan Brown's books  - I think if you take them for what they are, they're very entertaining. I also loved The Lovely Bones, very haunting. Plus I think Bryce Courtenay's April Fool's Day was one of the saddest books I've ever read. Loved The Power of One.

But have to agree, The Blind Assassin - jesus, what a bore. Same goes for The Fountainhead, or was it Atlas Shrugged - whichever Ann Rand book it was, I hated it !

I'm more a take me away to another time or place and entertain me type of reader.  original.gif

eta spelling

Edited by Mel1609, 02 December 2010 - 08:19 PM.

#49 sammyv

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:19 PM

Angelas Ashes - gave up about 1/2 way through.
The Girl most Likely - Rebecca Sparrow (only finished this as I am friends with one of her family members and they kept asking me what I thought of it).

Joey80 - I love Persuasion!

#50 Catolyn

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:28 PM

I thought Cloudstreet was turgid dreck but I'm not a fan of Tim Winton in the slightest.

I got half a page into Naked Lunch but I don't know if you'd classify that as something people 'love'

I also couldn't finish A Scanner Darkly, and I usually like PKD.

Oh and Tess of the D'urbervilles was dreadful, up yours Thomas Hardy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.