Worst ever novels
That everyone else seem to love (sort of spinoff)

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#51 Lyra

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (Bort @ 02/12/2010, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought Cloudstreet was turgid dreck but I'm not a fan of Tim Winton in the slightest.

Oh and Tess of the D'urbervilles was dreadful, up yours Thomas Hardy.

oh god, I had forgotten both these books. I loathed Cloudstreet and don't even get me started on Tess ...

#52 Guest_toobusy_*

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:42 PM

I hate those stupid ones by Jodi Picoult. Terrible terrible books, ham handed writing, obvious plots and annoying.

Totally agree, just insultingly obvious and tedious.  Goodness only knows why I have read four of them.  I keep thinking they will get better.

I also read a book by a famous Japanese author recently, who's name has slipped my mind.  What pretentious wank that was!

Cheers, Regi

#53 Sloane Peterson

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:51 PM

Agree with most PP's but especially about the Da Vinci Code and anything Dan Brown. Urrgghhh.

Anyone I know who enjoys 'literature' absolutely cannot stand this book....

Jodie Picoult is pretty terrible too. Not as bad as Dan Brown.

#54 ~iMum~

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:01 PM

I didn't particularly like Time Traveller's Wife. It was ok, but I didn't see the hype.

Hate, hate, HATE anything by Dean Koontz and Stephen King. Totally disinterested.

Another vote for Jodi Picoult here. Unfortunately, her books are like a train smash i.e. have to read them even though I shouldn't.

#55 thepixiechick

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:02 PM

Currently beating my head against The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo wacko.gif
Read Eat Pray Love, but thought it was pretty dreadful
Can't even finish anything by Bret Easton Ellis, find him just revolting
Despised everything by Bryce Courtenay except April Fool's Day which was brilliant
Anything by James Joyce I won't even look at
Loved if on a winter's night a traveler (although at the end I felt strangely tricked) and everything by Italo Calvino wub.gif

#56 bubbanme

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:04 PM

I'm in the eat pray love clan. It was torture getting through that book...

#57 budgy

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:13 PM

I'm glad someone else couldn't stand The Life of Pi - so boring and ridiculous that I gave up and I rarely give up on a book.

Have just finished Juliet and LOVED it!

#58 silhouette

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (Pocky @ 02/12/2010, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glamourama.
I should've known...it was written by Bret Easton ellis.
I don't think I'm a  a prude, but parts of it were so disgusting that I didn't want to finish it.

What does it say about me that I like so many of the books mentioned?  biggrin.gif

However, until I read Pocky's post, I'd managed to block American Psycho from my memory. I actually threw that book in the bin a few chapters in, it was just horrid. I have never thrown a book out until that one.

The worst book I've ever read is called Blue Skies, No Candy by Gael Greene and it's pure tripe...just the revolting, selfish ramblings of a revolting, selfish woman. Ridiculous.

#59 JJ

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (meaghanflametree @ 02/12/2010, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love you all.  

Ernest Bloody Hemingway.  I am still sulking over being forced to finish A Farewell to Arms.

Ohhh, that's one of my favourite books! So sad though. sad.gif

But, at the risk of being labelled a philistine, I think anything by Shakespeare (though I guess they're not novels, strictly speaking) is vastly overrated. ph34r.gif

I also discovered this year that Joanna Trollope is a real bore.

I don't mind Jodi Picoult but all her newer books seem to be written in the same format, which makes them pretty predictable.

#60 nori_roll

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:20 PM

Dan Brown, Jodi Picoult, Bryce Courtney.

Oh and I agree with a pp about The Secret History.

And having loved The Wasp Factory, I've found everything else I've tried by Iain Banks extremely annoying.

#61 dynamitee

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:25 PM

I've read Bret Easton Ellis's first four books but none since.  His writing seemed to appeal to me in some way when I was younger (suppose the shock factor when i think about it) but I reread Less Than Zero last year and I couldn't get past the feeling that it was such self-indulgent drivel.  American Psycho isn't even harder to come at.  I get the ideology that he weaves into his stories but Hunter S Thompson just does it so so so much better.  I'll probably read his newer books out of sheer curiosity.  It'll be interesting to see where he takes the sequel to Less Than Zero.

I agree that Confessions of a Shopaholic was crap.  i started reading a book that my MIL had gotten for free somewhere.  It's called Swapping Lives by Jane Green.  So incredibly terrible that I couldn't get past the first two chapters (decided to give it a real go).

Certainly can't agree that Brokeback Mountain is a bad book.  I had read the novella before it became a movie as I was looking at Annie Proulx for my honors thesis.  I loved that I didn't see where the story was going until it up and slapped me across the head.

My trainwreck book that I cannot stop going back to about once a year is You'll Never Eat Lunch In This Town Again by Julia Phillips.  It's certainly not literature but as far as biographies go, I just can't get enough.

Edited by dynamitee, 02 December 2010 - 09:27 PM.

#62 Mocha Coffee

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:26 PM

Oh gosh!
I loved Blind Assassin and especially The God of Small Things.  I found them engrossing.  
I couldn't stand Vernon God Little or Mister Pip.  Blech.
I have enjoyed some of Jodi Picoult's books and happened to meet her many years ago and really enjoyed talking to her. However, they have got sillier and far more predictable that I don't bother anymore.  The Pact made an impact on me when I first read it as a high school teacher.  I also quite enjoyed The da Vinci Code but found the information that I was really interested in much better in Holy Blood Holy Grail. I am Catholic so I did find the whole conspiracy theory entertaining. Angels and Demons was diabolical though especially the last couple of chapters.  Madness!
I loved April Fool's Day and also The Power of One and Tandia (which I read as a teenager) but have never read another after finding The Potato Factory excruciating. That is one of the few books I couldn't finish.
I love Alexander McCall Smith's book. I find them charming, witty and thoughtful.  I have read most of The Ladies' Detective Agency series and all of 44 Scotland Street
Other books I have loathed...
Eleven Minutes - those orgasms were NOT believable!
The Crying of Lot 49 (plain weird)
and My Brother Jack - sooo boring!
Oh I also found Eat Pray Love too self indulgent.  I enjoyed Italy and then I struggled after that.

#63 BadCat

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:27 PM

I know everyone loves The Kite Runner but I found it really predictable.  I hated it.

Twilight is a given.  I didn't even finish the first one.

The Bride Stripped Bare.  What utter dross.

Tess of the Durbervilles.

Jane Eyre.

#64 Mocha Coffee

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:28 PM

Oh and Life of Pi.  I felt cheated!

#65 Riotproof

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (V&J @ 02/12/2010, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The da Vinci Code!!  Hands down worst novel EVER!

Yup.

#66 Mocha Coffee

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:34 PM

Ooh.  Love this thread.  I really loved The Book Thief.  .  I didn't mind Hemmingway's 'A Farewell to Arms' but fail to see it as this great love story that it is meant to be.  I found Catherine really annoying.

#67 Fourteenyears

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:40 PM

I found The DaVinci Code sort of fun, and Angels and Demons.   I have a bit of a soft spot for ludicrous pulp thrillers though.  They don't have to be well written for me, just fast moving and not too serious.  Things have to get Matthew Reilly bad (Ice Station anyone?) before I'll start rolling my eyes and wondering whether to read on.

I'll persist with The Book Thief then.  I bought it, so I really don't want to give up on it.

#68 littlemissmessy

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:48 PM

Worst novels; anything by Bryce Courtney except for Jessica, which was readable and enjoyable.
War and Peace. Romeo and Juliet. Any of the footballers bios. Schindlers List.

#69 Guest_maybelle_*

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:54 PM

Would rather stab myself in the eye than read Dad Brown, Bryce Courtenay, Harry Potter or Twighlight.  Not a fan of most genre fiction.

Anna Kerenina gave me the irits - she was just a whiny cow.

#70 meaghanflametree

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (Mocha Coffee @ 02/12/2010, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ooh.  Love this thread.  I really loved The Book Thief.  .  I didn't mind Hemmingway's 'A Farewell to Arms' but fail to see it as this great love story that it is meant to be.  I found Catherine really annoying.

YESSSS!  Thank you, Mocha Coffee!  I said exactly that in a English essay way back in 198mumblemumblething, and I feel vindicated!  (Take note, kids, live long enough and eventually some kind soul will agree with you.)

"Aren't I a good wife?"  

Yar boo sucks.

Edited by meaghanflametree, 02 December 2010 - 09:57 PM.

#71 crankybee

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:03 PM

The Blind Assassin by Margaret Attwood. It cured my insomnia!

Oh, me too. And I finished it because I was stuck on a broken down train with it. I hated it!

I also hated The Book Thief, Heart of Darkness and my all time most hated is LORD OF THE FLIES!

#72 Mrs Claus

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:09 PM

i enjoy Jodie Picoult but hate her endings. it always seems she has reached the amount of pages needed and just suddenly stopd. i now dont read the last few chapters and make up my own ending

could not get more then 50 pages into the lord of the rings.

#73 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:22 PM

Bryce Courtney's book about the children's crusade, can't remember the name sorry.

I've tried a number of times to read Tess of the Durberville's and found it really hard to read.  I thought it was supposed to be a classic.

Bryce Courtney's book about the children's crusade, can't remember the name sorry.

I've tried a number of times to read Tess of the Durberville's and found it really hard to read.  I thought it was supposed to be a classic.

#74 Pretz

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:23 PM

In addition to  the vile novel Glamourama, which I mentioned in a previous post,  I'll have to add Scarpetta to the list.

I'll confess to liking her first couple of novels (I was a teenager). I hadn't read one of her novels in a long time, but that book was awful.
She's written some of the most irritating characters, Lucy comes to mind, and I get sick of the brand names being used in her character descriptions. eg; Mr X checked his Breitling watch. It was time to leave, so he put his gold Mont Blanc fountain pen in the top pocket of his Burberry Coat. yada, yada, yada.

I don't understand the hype surrounding  the DaVinci code either.

Regarding the LOTR, I flicked past the songs; they weren't my cup of tea. (zzzzzzz)

Virginia Andrews books were popular when I was in senior school, but having re-read one recently, I must confess that it was utter tripe. They all had the same, formulaic themes of incest in well off families. I'm sure the VC Andrews ones are equally, if not worse.

#75 Pretz

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:25 PM

double post. my apologies.

Edited by Pocky, 02 December 2010 - 10:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.