95 replies to this topic

#1 Sandra

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:40 AM

New thread time ladies

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...howtopic=840795

#2 manhattan

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:28 PM

yyawn.gif

Took the kids for a couple hours at Coney Island last night to finish celebrating P's birthday and didn't get them to bed until 10. They had a ball! L was an absolute madman on the giant slides. biggrin.gif

Pix, fingers crossed everyone will be well for your trip now. I hope your packing goes well today and you get off without a hitch tomorrow! Oh, and you misread my post -- J isn't starting school next year. I was just questioning my decision as he suddenly seems so mature and will also be reading by the end of summer, but we went through so much psychological drama with him for quite a long period there that I think it's important to kind of catch our breath on an even keel IYWKIM? He is absolutely in his element at preschool and finally thriving so we want to give him another year there before enrolling, particularly now that we've seen how rigorously academic and no-nonsense the primary is. I mean, this is a kid who still happily moons us in public by way of throwing a tantrum so I think there are a couple issues left that need resolving. wacko.gif

Caro, the short version of our financial trouble is that DH picked the wrong time to work for himself as with the GFC, the type of service he offers is out of budget for most corporations as they are all in economy mode and not doing much with consultants at his level. We then decided that he would go back to work with a company but again, there just isn't much at his level as everyone is clinging to their roles and corporations are very reluctant to grow or change things up at this stage. He had resolved to seek something more junior but keeps getting knocked back for being over-qualified so he's almost at the point of dumbing down his resume. In any event, whatever he finds is going to be a big pay cut and that hurts, particularly given we're going to have to focus on saving to make up for what we've lost. I guess it could be worse but this is the first time either of us has ever carried a credit card balance in our entire lives as we don't believe in taking on debt, so we both feel ill over it all.

Anyhoo, L is having a meltdown on my lap so must away for the moment. x

Edited by manhattan, 04 December 2010 - 12:28 PM.

#3 dippinsniffer

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:39 PM

Hey original.gif .

Caro, hope having your DH's parents around is somewhat enjoyable original.gif .

Nic, how did things go with your DH's parents, some weeks ago?

Kim, coffee with your sis, Christmas shopping, HD's, bubbly ... all sounds nice original.gif .

Edited by dippinsniffer, 26 December 2010 - 05:03 AM.

#4 pixiefish

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:32 PM

Byeeeee! xxx

#5 KylieB

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:17 AM

Hey there!

Bye, Pix! Have a blast original.gif

Dip - Hmm, yes, I do think you are over-thinking it all to be honest  original.gif I think it is normal for a 6 year old to be at times moody. To backchat.  I know I don't want my kids to have to feel forced to show feelings that they don't feel all of the time, you know? If they don't feel like giving a hug all of the time, then that is okay. I suppose as long as we remind them to decline graciously, then they are entitled to a gaff once in a while. A lot of the time kids don't get the "joke" with playing and teasing. For a lot of kids, it takes a while to get jokes. Others are a little more serious or she was having a bad day. And I'm sure if your mum thought DD moody or petulant, then surely she would tell you? Just from how you describe her? Your DD doesn't have to be perfectly behaved all of the time original.gif

Holding back in schooling. I think the problem with not doing it, is that some kids can fall in the cracks and it is more difficult to catch up since they tend not to hold back after Year 1. And from what I can see here, leaving things to a little later for a lot of kids may be of benefit. Just my opinion. But, I don't think I'd hold back my kids if I wasn't positive.

Anyway, we went out to a local friends (German family) Christmas Market. Cold. But nice. Just going to watch a bit of TV before bed. So cheerio!

#6 Malli

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:55 PM

C u Pix - Hope u have a ball!

Kylie - Id love to be in your kind of weather. I love love love the cold. Ill be heading over to the cold in Jan so cant wait for that.

Nic - Thanks for coming by the other week. Your DSs were great. ANd your DS  just discovered the cupboard before he left original.gif I took a cute photo of your bubba. will email it to you. Can you email me your private email
address.

Dip - I think you are overthinking things as well. we get moody our selves. I know that the elders get annoyed if my kids dont show them their love and appreciation but then in the end give in and say theyre just kids after all. I give my children a talking to as well so hopefully they'll figure out how to find the middle ground.

My head hurts thinking about me having to get ready to go back. I have to call a shipping company and get things packed in a container. Just tossing up whether I buy furniture from here and ship it as we sold it all last year as we had not enough storage space. What to buy what not to buy. My list is growing.

My kids are making a mess with paint outside. lucky mum isnt home. Got a heap to do, clean up outside fold out the washing and go get milk but i wwont dare now as if I put DD3 in the car shell fall asleep. I think Ill wait till 8pm

DD 3 is balling her eyes out and DD4 is wanting a feed. Oh my head really really hurts original.gif

#7 dippinsniffer

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:55 PM

MALLI, good luck with all that shopping, shipping and 5 kids - no wonder your head hurts original.gif . Not long till your DH arrives though so that will make things easier original.gif .

DH home, bye waves.gif .

Edited by dippinsniffer, 26 December 2010 - 05:03 AM.

#8 *Caro*

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:23 PM

Oh, hello new thread, I didn't know you were here!

Dip, I used to stress about my kids being rude to my parents (ie, Zahra once clocked my dad in the face!!  huh.gif ) but I've since spoken to mum and dad about it, and they were far more understanding than I expected, and actually seemed to like that the kids were so comfortable with them.  Kids can't be on the best behaviour all the time, and if they can't show their true emotions to their granpdparents, then who can they do that with?  I guess in our circumstance, mum and dad are extra understanding, because they see our kids infrequently but for large chunks of time, and often at routine-altering times, like the birth of a new sibling.  But I dont' think any reasonable grandparent would expect perfect behaviour from a child all the time.  Even your even-tempered DD is entitled to be cranky occasionally!

Nic, thanks for explaining.  Yes, the GFC is a total b*st*rd isn't it.  My brother in the UK has been out of work for the better part of 18months.  It sucks.  

Shhh, don't tell anyone ssecret.gif ... but Hugo seems to have figured out sleep.  In his cot and everything... I'm scared to say anything in case I jinx it, but he slept for 5hours straight last night, and has actually napped the last 2 days.... It's all a bit freaky!!  cool.gif

Edited by *Caro*, 05 December 2010 - 09:25 PM.

#9 dippinsniffer

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:42 PM

Thanks, Caro original.gif .
Oh dear! Your brother has been out of work for 18mths! How are he and his wife feeling/coping? Her salary, I gather? What's his line of work?

Edited by dippinsniffer, 26 December 2010 - 05:04 AM.

#10 Snagglepussed

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:35 PM

...she said it was because she thought it was a cake and didn't like that nana pretended with her.
SOunds to me like she is one very clever little girl who just doesn't like being duped! Awwww...I also believe you are overthinking. Your Mum is not going to think bad thoughts about a 6yo pouting over a present. Relax girl! LOL

Nic - I hate the "over-qualified" thing! I kept getting that when I was looking for secretarial work and in the end I DID dumb down my resume! I now have a few different versions depending on the type of work I am looking at!

Speaking of work! I have a GF who runs an educational children's services business (local to me) and she has OTs, Speechies and Psychologists there as well as tutor/teachers for K to 12 assistance .... She has been giving another friend a few hours (say 10) per week work doing admin overload stuff (nothing too OTT) but she is now unable to continue as she has a sick MIL and needs to concentrate on family stuff! I am thinking of talking to her about doing similar.......HOWEVER......I work 20 hours per week and get over $30 per hour. This friend who was working for her was doing 10 hours and getting only $20 and was working via an ABN (read: no holidays, sick days etc)........... I am pretty sure that my GF would realise I would not be happy with $20 but ......... I would have access to psychologists and work experience (relative to my course) and may be able to claim all my Uni expenses as a tax deduction........ DH seems to think it's a jump BACK regardless of the "experience" so to speak....and if we want to buy something next year (an idea swilling around our brains) then a drop in pay is NOT an option!!!!! Ahhhhh the conundrum of life......... What would you gals say????

Edited by Girolama, 06 December 2010 - 12:36 PM.

#11 dippinsniffer

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:03 PM

Kim, your job situation, if it were me, if we found that we needed my earnings to hurry buying a house along, then I'd stick with whatever was giving me the higher wage. I'd only go for a drop in salary (even if possible improvement in career prospects related to your course) if we could still buy a house and pay off the mortgage before we're 70 solely on DH's earnings.

Edited by dippinsniffer, 26 December 2010 - 05:04 AM.

#12 Snagglepussed

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:44 AM

if we could still buy a house and pay off the mortgage before we're 70 solely on DH's earnings.
Yeah I figured as much myself! And at 44 maybe buying something is more of a priority right now! LOL

#13 greentreefrog

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:48 AM

Dip - with the over qualification thing - the reason they won't employ because you're "over qualified" is that they assume you are only applying because you need to and not because you want the job. They assume you are still looking and will jump at the next job that pays more. Therefore, they then need to find another employee. More profitable for the employer if they find a  long term employee rather than one who will leave in a few months. It sucks.

#14 SportySpice

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:57 AM

Hiya all

home laptop died.... and have a short week this week, the usual PA returned (he was on sick leave) on Monday only to be told boss has "restructured the office" and he can finish up at the end of the week.... so 2 days for me this week and then next Mon start 4 days per week.  Long story about the other pa... oh well.

Yesterday i "got into sgee's room" and did a "spring clean", not that she noticed!  Working today and will do 1/2 tomorrow doing the other big fella's stuff.

"big" school assembly on Friday so will have to go into school for that for a few hours, KHFHDH also coming.... mellow.gif  

Will complete Chrissy shopping on Saturday. original.gif

Other than that, just getting ready for sgee finishing - next Wed 15, then Xmas then holiday!

and will try and get utd in the coming months!

hello to all - pix hope you're having a blast!

love to all xx

#15 SportySpice

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:03 AM

KIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!  

excellent job on the HD's! wink.gif  cclap.gif  cclap.gif  cclap.gif

#16 Snagglepussed

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:15 AM

Thanks Love!
WOW you will be busy with 4 days next week! I HATE working 4 days ...... hoping to cut back next year (hmmmmmm)...

School presentation day today and Bec is kind of hoping for an award (as was I) but the school said they would ring parents beforehand to tell them if their children were getting one so we could be there (and not to tell the kids so it will be a surprise)............BUT my phone didn't ring! sad.gif
Not that I am one of "those" Mums but her teacher has been telling me so often how far she had come this year (being the youngest by far etc etc) and how she had made leaps in her confidence etc etc so I would have liked for her to get "Most improved" or some such! Oh well! Poor mite! I think she is feeling a tad behind the eight ball........such a cluey chick in some areas but so very very vulnerable still!

Alessia just rolls with the punches and has no worries! Her teacher just tells me how "outgoing" she is (with that glint in her eye as only a teacher can have..........read: Alessia is pegged as a Larrikin - as if I didn't know that?) original.gif

Looking forward to the end of the year and getting in that car to drive drive drive! DH has bought headrest DVD players for the car (hope they arrive before we leave - that would be the max wouldn't it?)....

Feeling fat and flobby and foul at the moment and really have to lose weight as it is getting me down but no matter how many motivational posts I read in here (Flick) and how amazing Zoe has been in her WL journey and other sites razzing me up.... I just can't get my mojo happening! Have been to the gym about 3 times in the last 6 weeks! ohmy.gif NOTHING can make me move my fatarse!!!!!!! Sigh!

Edited by Girolama, 08 December 2010 - 10:17 AM.

#17 manhattan

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:31 PM

Her teacher just tells me how "outgoing" she is (with that glint in her eye as only a teacher can have..........read: Alessia is pegged as a Larrikin - as if I didn't know that?) original.gif

Kim, I must confess I have a soft spot for such kids! original.gif (But don't we all?)

Edited by manhattan, 08 December 2010 - 12:31 PM.

#18 mamabetty

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:22 AM

Hi girls!   biggrin.gif

First official day of holidays for us.  Nice not to rush around this morning.  Last week of school was rush, rush, rush.  Both boys got excellent report cards and great classes for next year.  Zac is in a 1/2 class and Max a 5/6 class.  Maxi's teacher 'Miss B' is very young, techno savvy and inspiring apparently.  She runs an IT extension program which Max wants to aim for as he's showing an interest in IT at this stage.  So all good.  Teachers sung their praises and we had a panicky call from the deputy last Friday as he'd heard rumours we were leaving the school.  All sorted now.   rolleyes.gif   I think it started with Max saying he might miss year 7 if he gets into one College that starts their intake at year 7.  Nice to be wanted though.  Very proud of my boys.  Max got more B's than A's this term but scored an A for Behaviour which is apparently the only grade they compare  laugh.gif  Too funny.  I've told him he'll have to work harder for A's from now on as his work will only get harder and harder, particularly maths which he finds hard work (just like his mama).  

Well I hope you are all well.  Pix seems to be having a blast the lucky duck.  I have to go now but I'll try and get in here more.

Love you all.

Jodes xxx

#19 *Caro*

Posted 10 December 2010 - 01:59 PM

I'm looking forward to the start of the hols too.  We still have one more week of school.  Actually, the following week will be madness too, as the girls will have swimming lessons at 9.30 every morning.  Oh well.  Hopefully Christmas day will be relaxing laughing2.gif

Did I mention on here that I have tonsillitis?  I was sick as a dog on Sunday/Monday, started ab's Monday afternoon and was feeling a bit better by Tues night.  But I seem to have plateaued and can't shake it.  Thankfully DH has cancelled a 2 night trip to Sydney - I'm just not up to dealing with 4 kids on my own.  sad.gif

I had $450 of groceries on order with Coles to be delivered last night, but they had to cancel because the supermarket got flooded  huh.gif  The whole of Queanbeyan (just over the border from us) is awash.  It was front page news in The Australian today.  Apparently Lake Burley Griffin is full of huge trees  huh.gif

Kim, how did Bec go at the assembly?

We went to Zahra's preschool/childcare concert yesterday.  They did a great Aussie rendition of the 12 Days of Christmas biggrin.gif  We also got Em's report card yesterday. Our favourite line was "Emmy has a strong sense of social justice, which she displays through her empathetic and caring attitude, especially towards other children in the class". She was also commended for how she dealt with 'difficult social situations' - that's my girl!  wub.gif

Yes, Caro, I remember someone in EB saying 'sleep begets sleep'
  Yes, and sleeplessness begets sleeplessness rolleyes.gif  We're back to square one.  He's waking 3 or more times a night and fighting naps.  *this too shall pass, this too shall pass* cool.gif

#20 dippinsniffer

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:49 PM

Hello biggrin.gif

SS, 4 days/wk! Busy.! But slightly flexible hours, right? SG will go to before n after school care?

JODIE, hols! Yay original.gif .

HELEN, I've sent another 'friend' request for you in FB for the first time in about 2mths so hoping it gets through to you this time original.gif . Looking forward to hearing how the biopsy and catch-up with Julie went original.gif .

CARO, *groans* oh nooo, you're so sick and waking at least 3 times/night sad.gif . That's crap, man! Yes, I do hope your husband can stay home ... sick and tired is .. well .. exhausting with 4 kids on your own  hhugs.gif . And early out of the house for the first week of hols! For your sake, I'm looking forward to your lazy mornings in January when you don't have to get out of the house before 10 unless you want to original.gif .

HEAPS of fun this weekend and we're making up for it by bludging (with a few easy hrs of work) Mon-Thur next week original.gif .

Bye original.gif .

Edited by dippinsniffer, 26 December 2010 - 05:08 AM.

#21 KylieB

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:31 AM

Had our Christmas party/drinks on Friday night. The place looked good  happy.gif
I was standing there, watching and listening (before I started ABBA singstar-ing  wink.gif  ) and I felt so proud, admiring the diversity. Get this for diverse. At the one time, there were conversations in German, Hungarian, French and English. Parents from Aggi's school friends, people from Mikes work and a cross hatch. One ex-Mig pilot (pretty cool), a French guy who has the wit of a British man (very funny and very French. Also happens to be training in the tower here in Frankfurt). His mum was also here and she makes divine French deserts. Everyone enjoying Gluhwein and talking about up and coming holidays. About 15 kids running around. Swapping words from a multitude of languages (some spoke in excess of 3 languages). It was sooo enjoyable.

Only one week to go until we "should" go on holidays. Still weather dependent as places are having difficulties with snow. We have until the 15th to cancel with no loss of money. Looks like being really cold for Christmas. I'm talking minus 11s and below  oomg2.gif

That is my news. I'll come back later to check in and read up. Love to all X

#22 *Caro*

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:41 AM

Sounds like a great party, Kylie!  I would be thrilled with that international feel in my house too!!  biggrin.gif  I have to say, I keep thinking of you, packing up your house and moving to the other side of the world when your kids were all so little.  I am barely functioning, and I keep thinking of you and how you managed that.  You are amazing!

My BFF is back from a month in the US - yay! - so this morning we are off to the markets together to get fruit and veg.  Domestic duties + a catch up - got to love multitasking laughing2.gif

#23 SportySpice

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:09 PM

Sunday arvo!

KHFHDH didn't make it to sgee's school assembly and of course I had to patch things up... F*&kwit.

she's with him this w'end - home at 3pm coz it's mum's b'day (78) and we'll head to their place when she gets home for arvo tea......

Dip - 4 day - Tues is a "short day" 9ish to 230pm and then wed/thur/fri sgee will have before and after school so usually 8pm to 330pm and on a wed - when she goes with stupid I'll finish around 5pm...

have her school picnic tomorrow at clontarf and i'm going along with another kindy mum to help out.

tues is school and wed is her last day....

thurs have a v8 race day out at eastern creek which i lined up for the "big" big boss and xav and i'll be taking sgee out too

fri i'll work and she's have a day with a friend from school - the following week she'll come into work with me - i'm aiming to finish up work on thursday.....

kylie - sounds as though the UN was at your place! biggrin.gif

Jodes - sgee is just worked out that we won't be seeing you guys this year at xmas... sad.gif  i did say that we may have a little break - just me and her and come up and see you biggrin.gif

hope everyone is well and gearing up for a wonderful festive season!

bbl

love to all

#24 Snagglepussed

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:43 AM

I would be thrilled with that international feel in my house too!!
I'd be thrilled with an ex-mig pilot (but I am shallow like that)! Was he cute or did his "ex-mig" status render him so! LOL

SS - Clontarf - that's a hike for them! I love that beach though! very quaint!

Girls have their picnic day on Wed.....Alessia to the movies at Collaroy to see Tangled! And Bec to Manly pool for a day of sunburn no doubt! wink.gif

DVD headrests arrived this morning so hubby will no doubt be busy installing them this week and trialling them! LOL What a goose he is! Has to be the best of the best! Bless! I'm sure the kids will be grateful though! On a mere drive to Hurstville for a BBQ with friends yesterday they were complaining! Yikes!

Dicovered Clovelly yesterday! Man I am sooo insular! It's disgusting really! I should get out more! LOL Such a cute little beach to go to with the kids! Will be planning that in the new year no doubt.

Very tired today! I think I am just really over this year and ready for a fresh start! Not that anything bad happened but have just been so very busy......with work, study and life in general.

Sister's Chrissy party this Sat so looking forward to kicking back with bubbles and enjoying.

#25 mamabetty

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:40 PM

KIM - you have had a full on year and deserve to really let your hair down over Xmas and get very, very drunk - hic!  

KYLIE - sounds fun at your party - albeit bloody freezing!  How are you coping with that cold?   ohmy.gif I thought of you the other day when the F111's were doing their final fly over Brissie and the Coasts.  I heard them blast through whilst I was in hospital getting my wisdom teeth out!   original.gif

CARO - hope you're feeling better soon.  Last time of year you want to be sick sweetie.  xxx

SS - I almost booked DH in for a V8 experience for the last race of the year but couldn't justify the expense.  He would have loved it though.  On Friday he had extractors put on the Crewman and man does she rumble now!  I had to take off down the road so he could hear it and film it.   laugh.gif  He's such a boy.  I must admit it sounds very nice though.........

DIP - I was just checking out your pics at the playground of your Xmas lunch and decorated gingerbread houses.  Great job all round!  I must admit I miss all the parties and get togethers with family in Adelaide this time of year.  We were invited to go and stay at a mate's place for Xmas but I told Chris it would be worse there without mum than here iykwim.   sad.gif   I keep dreaming about her just lately - I miss her............ cry1.gif

Nicked out to the shops this morning for a few bits and bobs.  Nice and quiet first thing - yay!  The boys have moved rooms again.  After 12 months they wanted their own rooms again so Max stayed in the big room and Zac has gone into Maxi's old room which was the play room.  It took me 2 days to cull and move everything around but now it looks great.  I got them bunks which weren't attached so Max still has his loft bed with his desk underneath (shhhhh he doesn't know but I got a Mac Book Pro for the family for Xmas so he'll be in his absolute element).  Zac's room looks great too and I'm so glad as they weren't keeping the play room tidy and it always looked terrible.   rolleyes.gif   Max bought himself a new bean bag this morning to go in his new room as he has quite a bit of space and has his stereo and DVD set up in there to watch movies.  He got a big soccer ball one.  Looks like a teenager's retreat now.   cool.gif  

OK i need to hang out some washing - we finally have some sun after two rainy days.  xxxxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.