How is your Christmas Shopping going?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 daviesjv

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:31 AM

Well, the tree is up, the Christmas cards are gradually being written and the Advent Calendar is in full swing. We have had the dance concert, the gymnastics assessment and the swimming carnival. Plus the class break-ups. Only two more days of making school lunches, and then it’s: hello holidays!!!

Which means, of course, that my Christmas shopping needs to be done and dusted by the end of this week. So my questions for you are: how are you doing your shopping this year? What did you buy? How much are you spending?

As to the how – are you shopping online or in-store?

I was interested in research released by eBay  this week which included the very fascinating statistic that we’ve reached a tipping point: the majority of us are now shopping online for Christmas, with only 40% heading to department stores to find value this year. While online shopping has been recording steady year-by-year growth, this is the first time, at 55%, that it’s been the majority-preferred method.

I’ve got to say, it’s been my preferred method for a few years, basically ever since we had baby number 3. Two kids at a shopping centre I could deal with; three though – I’m outnumbered. I’ve bought a couple of things in-store, including a Barbie Styling Head that I need to buy from Target later this week when it goes on sale (apparently a Barbie Styling Head and a purple bikini are the only two things that our 5 year old wants this year). But predominantly I’ve bought online.

And the what – well, lets see. One daughter is getting motorcross gear. One is getting a sewing machine (a Janome d’lite – on special for $29 – I’m incredibly impressed!) plus a box of fabric and one is getting a toy vacuum cleaner. My hubby is getting a skateboard and the parents are getting … umm, well actually I haven’t bought that one yet. If anyone has some great ideas for parental gifts, please share them!!!

And for a giggle, if you'd like to know what we spent some of our Christmas money on last year, click here!

With regards to how much, apparently we’re buying the same number of gifts but spending slightly less this year. The eBay  research found that our total spend on Christmas gifts will be around $577, and this week’s Kmart  Christmas Giving Index indicated that parents will spend around $235 per child (which makes that Janome sewing machine look better and better!!)

Personally I think I’ve probably spent less than $235 per child, but more than $577 overall.

So – how about you? How are you doing your Christmas shopping? What are you buying? And how much do you plan to spend?

#2 Dess

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:45 AM

We've spent $120, and that was a lay-by paid off over 6 months. Otherwise, nothing, we can't afford it this year due to unforseen events. If I had known earlier in the year, I would've been more prepared. The fact that my family is still giving us gifts makes me feel guilty and sick, even though I am of course extremely grateful for their generosity. It's just not a nice feeling when you can't reciprocate, not even with something homemade.

If not for that, I'd say we would have spent around $200 on our son (one or two big things that will be used for many years), and probably another $300 on family gifts. I love giving presents, and the Internet has made it much, much more fun. I get anxious and overwhelmed at shopping centres at the best of times - Christmas is unbearable.

It's funny that people seemed to react to $235 per child as a huge amount, but things cost so much these days. Our lay-by was a basic start-up train set and some wooden puzzles. That doesn't seem extravagent to me, and yet it cost over $100. I like to buy sturdy things that will last, and if that means not buying something cheap and plastic for $10, well, so be it. Again, buying online has opened up a whole world of good toys that just aren't available in stores.

#3 MrsGrech

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:05 AM

I did most of my shopping online during lull periods at work. I used mainly ebay and Amazon and saved a considerable amount of money. As we got married earlier this year, I purchased photobooks for the Parents and the Grandparents and they were the most expensive gifts. I usually spend about $50 on each couple ie: Grandparent, Parents, Brothers and Sisters and then allow about $20 per child. When buying on these sites you get more for your money. I was able to purchase Roxy wallets within the $20 budget that normally retail for between $30-$50.

The only thing I purchased in-store was from Oxfam. I bought Free trade coffee, tea, chocolates and condiments and made little hampers well within the $50 for my brothers and their wives/partners. As well as looking and tasting great these presents are also charitable. I bought a couple of little pressies for my furbaby and christmas cards from the RSPCA as well.

I can't stand the constrant throng of people, I really hate shopping in crowds and so that's why the internet appeals to me. It's quick and easy and it's also really exciting having packages delivered all the time. It's like a present you get to open  original.gif

#4 louise3now4

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:35 PM

Pretty much done. Online has made up perhaps 35% this year.
I love the online bargains. I hate the Chadstone crowds, and yet they call to me. Come, fight for a carpark. So I go. rolleyes.gif

#5 Paper Daisy

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:04 PM

I've done almost everything online this year.  I got alot through Etsy and also grabbed most of our Christmas decorations and napkins etc from this hot site I love for birthdays and other parties Pink Frosting .  Only a few last minute bits to go now... proud and chuffed!

#6 EPZ

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:59 PM

All family presents for parents, kris kringle, inlaws and various were purchased from www.petersofkensington.com.au and I got the lot for $300.

Kids presents I purcahsed in store.

I spent $50 on my 11month old.   I spent $300 on my 3.5 yr old...though that includes his first bike with training wheels and helmet (usually I spend $100 only)  So for DS I have spend more than the average, but for DD I have spent a lot less...all evens out biggrin.gif

#7 daviesjv

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:42 PM

I've bought a few things on etsy too this Christmas - it's a great place to find a present for someone who is hard to buy for. I found some lovely handmade brooches.

#8 Magenta Ambrosia

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:58 AM

I bought all my presents online this year. We are going overseas to spend the festive season with the in-laws and I realised it would be easier to order from the UK and ship to Germany than have to go shopping and then lug it over there. I even had a go at amazon.de with my husband interpreting the check procedure original.gif

#9 missmama

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:06 PM

I haven't bought a single present.......... What am I going to doooooo!!!!????

#10 71Cath

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE (missmama @ 15/12/2010, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't bought a single present.......... What am I going to doooooo!!!!????

Panic!

I didn't buy anything on line this year.

#11 *mnm*

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:25 PM

I laybyed everything at the July Kmart Toy Sale only to have it all lost this morning, so now I have to start all over again, with the boys in tow, not happy to say the least!

#12 cheekie75

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:34 PM

Gosh, my budget for the year is $1000, but this is to buy for 12 people including my children and also to buy Christmas Lunch (food etc).  We save each year with our Christmas Club and I try to make every cent count.  I have bought both online and instore with catalogue sales and toy sale laybys that were back in June.  It is hard to believe where the money goes and how to stretch the budget each year.  

Thanks for the Stats! biggrin.gif

#13 daviesjv

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (*mnm* @ 15/12/2010, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I laybyed everything at the July Kmart Toy Sale only to have it all lost this morning, so now I have to start all over again, with the boys in tow, not happy to say the least!

Huh? How does that happen? How do they lose your layby?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.