Question for parent who DON'T vaccinate

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
73 replies to this topic

#1 SimplySarah

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:34 PM

Hi all,
I am trying to make up my mind about an issue regarding vaccination and am after some opinions from some like minded people.

I am against vaccination - my oldest son had severe reactions to his vaccines (particularly 12 mth ones) and hence my 2 yr old isn't vaccinated at all and I also have a 6 week old.
However we are moving to a 3rd world country with a very poor health system.

This has me rethinking my decision not to vaccinate.
I asked my dr today about getting some of the vaccines, but she said they can't be separated to individual vaccines (except hep B)

so, what do you think?
Would you change your mind about vaccination if moving overseas where there is a almost no care available?

#2 witchesforest

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:42 PM

No, i'm sure it would awesome to watch your baby die of a preventable disease, like polio or diptheria.

#3 BadgerBasher

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:46 PM

I grew up in a third world country, and believe me I would vaccinate. For everything. Especially tetanus.

#4 threelittlegems

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:51 PM

SimplySarah:

The reason you have the luxury of 'choosing' to vaccinate your children is because you live in a country where most people do, and you are protected by the herd.

No such herd overseas in a third world country.

I hope you don't learn it the hard way.

ETA: Because I wasn't going to say it, but can't help myself. DS1 is immune suppressed and is a child at risk of dying of influenza, chicken pox, measles etc. Even though he is immunised, his immune suppression means that his immunization isn't as effective as a normal child. So we rely on 'the herd' in Australia to further reduce the risk of his contracting a preventable disease.

As I said, it's a luxury not to immunise, third world countries don't have it, and probably children in your neighbourhood that perhaps you haven't thought of, also don't have that luxury.

Edited by threelittlegems, 10 December 2010 - 06:55 PM.

#5 LiveLife

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE (littlejellybean @ 10/12/2010, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I grew up in a third world country, and believe me I would vaccinate. For everything. Especially tetanus.

I don't belong here as I am pro vaccination but just needed to say

people die of tetanus in Australia too

#6 SimplySarah

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:55 PM

I really only want responses from those who DON'T vaccinate.

I already know the answer from everyone who does vaccinate.

#7 Hodor55

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:56 PM

Personally, I wouldn't move to a 3rd world country with a very poor health system if I had 3 children.

Vaccinate?  I'd wear a mask and sleep in a bubble probably.

#8 Miss Iceberg

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:00 PM

Even if I didnt vaccinate,  I certainly would, if we were moving to a third world country where the rates of these diseases are much much higher.  

Your little children would be at much higher risk that they currently are here.

#9 threelittlegems

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE (SimplySarah @ 10/12/2010, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I already know the answer from everyone who does vaccinate.

If you are only interested in 'like minded' opinions, why did you even ask? Just listen to yourself!

#10 witchesforest

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:02 PM

Come on guys, we're being a bit harsh with the OP.

These days measles only kills 164,000 kids a year, hardly any really.  And the mortality rates are really good in developing countries, only 1 child in 4 who catchs measles will die.  Sure, there are some other issues like deafness and retardation in some of the survivors, but nothing really, you know, serious.

And diptheria is great too, only 20% mortality in developing countries.  I like those odds!

That must be why all those parents in developing countries 'choose' not to vaccinate - they just really love watching their little kids getting really sick and then dying. I guess not having any access to medical care is a really great experience for them too, because if there's anything better than having a sick child in a first world country with great access to healthcare, it's having a sick child with no access to any drugs or expertise to make them better. It must be those fantastic feelings of helplessness and despair that feed into their 'choice' not to vaccinate.

#11 raven74

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:03 PM

Vaccination is a hotbed here, OP.
For what it's worth we are non vaxers, however if I were moving to a third world country I would be vaxing ALL my children  - the risk in undeveloped countries is far to great.

#12 Future-self

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (raven74 @ 10/12/2010, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Vaccination is a hotbed here, OP.
For what it's worth we are non vaxers, however if I were moving to a third world country I would be vaxing ALL my children  - the risk in undeveloped countries is far to great.

I don't understand. How do you justify this? How does your country of residence change anything here? The reasons you don't vaccinate, I would assume, still stand regardless of here you live, because they're, you know, really important, valid reasons?  huh.gif

#13 misshavok

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:36 PM

I will be a vaxer myself but I really think this thread should stay about the topic at hand or it will end up on far too many tangents.

OT - If I did happen to be a non-vaxer - Due to the stories of many of my missionary friends in third world countries, there is no way I wouldn't vaccinate if I took my child/ren over there.

#14 uh_I_don't_know

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:43 PM

i am anti vaccincation and have two unvaccinated children.

if i were to move to a third world country i would selectively vaccinate or do full schedule delayed dependant on country. i have a problem with the toxic content of vaccinations, and would probably choose not to move countries!

both my kids are over two, so delayed vaccination is a very good option for me, but seeing you have a 7wk old, it is a very difficult decision. how soon will you be moving? and to which country?

#15 Angel1977

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:51 PM

It blows my mind you are even thinking about not vaccinating a 6 week old when living in a 3rd world country...

#16 Azadel

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:55 PM

My concern is less with herd immunity in third world countries, more with treatments available...so I would consider a delayed vacc schedule if the move was a must.

Good luck - with a vacc discussion around here.

#17 Hashley

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:12 PM

I assume you researched the pros and cons of vaccinating before deciding against it so I suggest you do the same in this situation.

Research the prevalence of diseases that you will be immunising against in the country you are moving to. Weigh that up against the risks, you feel, vaccinations pose. If you find that 1 in 4 children die of measles compared to the 1 in 400 000 that have a serious reaction to the immunisation and still decide not to vaccinate then please come back and update how that worked out for you.

* figures were pulled out of my ar$e.

Edited by Hashley, 10 December 2010 - 08:13 PM.

#18 Feral-Lausii

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:28 PM

I chose not to vaccinate dd13 months. She had her 8 weeks vaccinations, had a reaction and no more vaccinations after that.

I would not move to a third world country with dd not being protected in some way.

Hopefully you will get some more helpful replies. original.gif

#19 starsg

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:33 PM

I understand your reservations about vaxxing in general but I would think very carefully before moving to a third world country. I think to get a clear answer you need to look more specifically at where you will be moving and the diseases that are most prevalent in that particular country, have a look at WHO stats regarding disease epidemics etc in the region and what if any would be the most likely diseases to contract (eg might not be much point vaxxing for Japanese encephalitis if it is not an issue in that part of the world). However I certainly wouldn't be at all comfortable with blanket non vaxxing when moving to an underdeveloped country! Perhaps talk to a more experienced immunologist regarding risk factors and rates of infection.

Edited by starsg, 10 December 2010 - 08:35 PM.

#20 xandersmom

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:34 PM

Sorry OP, I think you are being harshly judged.  

You may wish to discuss with your GP the possibilities of delayed vaccination schedule, or a reduced schedule.  There are possibilities of having 4-in-1 vaccines as opposed to 6/7-in-1.  This is especially relevant with Diptheria/pertussis/tetanus/polio/Hib/HepB/pneumococcal.  Then there are issues regarding the importance of timing of the vaccinations and dosing of rotavirus.  Rotavirus is something you are probably more likely to encounter in thrid world countries, and with less access to quality health care.

The other thing to consider is the country you are going to and what diseases are endemic to the area.  You may actually find you will need additional vaccinations for diseases which you are very unlikely to encounter in Australia but re extremely common in soem areas of Africa, eg yellow fever.

Good luck with your decision, it is not an easy one to make with so much information of variable quaility.

#21 *Finn*

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:34 PM

I don't understand what people mean when they say their child had a reaction to immunizations. Does this mean a rash? Temperature? A lump over the where the needle was given?
Or are we talking something more serious here?

#22 seepi

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:38 PM

Can I ask what sort of reaction your 12 month old had to vaccination? Is it possible they were already sick with a cold at the time of vaccination, which can exacerbate  a reaction?

I would discuss this with a medical professional, try to find one who is somewhat sympathetic. My Dr recommeded against vaccinations for me when travellign to Thailand, as I was looking to conceive. She also was not keen to recommend the swine flu vaccine to me when pregnant.

In the end I had the vaccinations for
Thailand, and put off TTC for that holiday. I am very pro-vaccination.

Can you also look into the rates of the worst diseases in th country you are going to? I would avoid diseases like Polio at all costs. If the polio vaccine is still a separate oral vaccine, can you at least get that for your kids?

Here's my suggestion:

Get the Chicken pos vacc for your oldest - see how they react to it. If all goes well, undertake other vaccines.

Get one vaccine for your second child, and see how they react - they may have no reaction at all, and no reason not to vaccinate. Ditto the baby.

#23 MerryMadrigalMadge

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:39 PM

thanks beebee09, I was wondering the same thing - Mads reaction to her first needles was awful - in terms of she screamed for hours, had a mild fever, very unsettled and wouldn't feed. But we just considered that par for the course and continued with scheduled vacx.

How severe a reaction are we talking, for those where it's enough to stop any more vacs?

#24 clairek

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (SimplySarah @ 10/12/2010, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have to expect everyone to chip into this, its a very divisive subject.  If you only want answers from one side of the fence, then you obviously want to be told what you want to hear.  Best be ready for some opinions you don't want to hear!

Children die of preventable diseases in all countries, but more so in 3rd world countries.  I would rather deal with the aftermath of a vaccination than watch the suffer with an illness you could have so easily protected them against.  

#25 Azadel

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (clairek @ 10/12/2010, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have to expect everyone to chip into this, its a very divisive subject.  If you only want answers from one side of the fence, then you obviously want to be told what you want to hear.  Best be ready for some opinions you don't want to hear.

This is in the natural therapies forum, not what do you think. I think the OP wanted to hear from those who understand her point of view, not just "well it's nuts to not vaccinate so I don't understand your problem".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.