Which Beaches In Australia Are "Must-Must Sees?"
Re-visitng old thread for inspiration!

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#1 baddmammajamma

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:41 PM

Dec 2012 update

I am a beach-loving American (soon to be dual citizen), married to a non-beach loving Aussie (though I am converting him to my beachy ways). In the 2.5 4.5 years that we have lived in Australia, I have visited the following beaches:

* NSW: All Sydney beaches from Cronulla to Palm Beach; the main Newcastle beaches; several gorgeous beaches down the southern coast of NSW (e.g. Mollymook, Merimbula)
* QLD: The Palm Cove to Port Douglas corridor
* VIC: Torquay
* WA: Cottlesoe
* NT: Mindel Beach wink.gif

That's it. I know I've only scratched the surface.

Later this summer, we will be driving down the coast of NSW to Victoria and plan to take several days to sample the beaches.  

What are your recommendations for 1-2 beaches in all of Australia that I should not miss in my lifetime?
What makes them so special?
Is there a particularly good time of year to visit?
Bonus points if you can share a picture (your own or picked off the internet).

Thanks in advance for the travel inspiration,

BMJ

Edited by baddmammajamma, 28 December 2012 - 08:28 PM.

#2 brazen

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:46 PM

green patch, jervis bay - whitest sand in the world original.gif

we didn't go at a good time of year, it's much more beautiful at other times of year but here you go:

Edited by brazen, 29 December 2010 - 12:47 PM.

#3 Kay1

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:46 PM

Any of the beaches in the Jervis Bay area. Seven Mile Beach, Green Patch - but my favourite of all (anywhere in the world) is without doubt Summercloud Bay. Take your snorkel. original.gif

Best to stay at a beach house along the coast - Vincentia boasts the whitest sands in the world apparently but Huskisson is a nice little town - then do the drive into the National Park to check out the beaches. The botanical gardens there are also quite nice. You can do dolphin watching tours from Husky which are good too.

Ahhh....must be time for us to book another holiday down there methinks!

Edited by Kay1, 29 December 2010 - 12:52 PM.

#4 Guest_mummytomany_*

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:49 PM

The beach is our second home and my husband and DS surf most days all year round so I've got a bit of beach experience   biggrin.gif

Palm Beach, Avalon Beach and Whale Beach would be my favourites.

Palm Beach is probably the most popular as it's where they shoot Home & Away but it's also got a corner (locals call Kiddies corner) which is great for kids as it's nice and calm with small waves and close to the pool.
It's a definite must see in my opinion.

#5 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:51 PM

We are doing the same trip next year, so I'll be interested to see what people say.  I know the Sydney to Brisbane coast well, not so much the SYdney to Melbourne side.

Beaches that I remember liking from along time ago are Huskison and Ulladulla.  But I have no idea now whether they were nice beaches, or whether it was the company at the time. biggrin.gif

I grew up near the Sydney Northern Beaches - love them ALL!  

My ultimate favourite beach of all time is Balmoral.

#6 nori_roll

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:52 PM

Cable Beach Broome - on a high tide in the dry season, lush. There are beaches around Esperance with the finest whitest sand I've seen, but it can get pretty chilly down there.

#7 baddmammajamma

QUOTE (mummytomany @ 29/12/2010, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Palm Beach is probably the most popular as it's where they shoot Home & Away but it's also got a corner (locals call Kiddies corner) which is great for kids as it's nice and calm with small waves and close to the pool.
It's a definite must see in my opinion.

original.gif  I was just there last week with out of town guests! And we ate lunch at Whale Beach. I love the northern most Sydney beaches.

Thanks for all of the suggestions thus far. I am excited to look up your recommendations. Please keep 'em coming. I am open to any state or territory!

#8 2girlsraising2boys

White haven out of peak season

Mon repot to see the turtles hatch I think in feb?

Lake Mackenzie on fraser island (not a beach but awesome)

#9 Winnie The Pooh

If you're anywhere along The Great Ocean Road I'd recommend seeing "Bells Beach" where they've held the World Surfing Championships.

Enjoy original.gif

#10 gipsy

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:54 PM

Pearl Beach NSW Central Coast original.gif

http://www.pearl-beach.com/

Edited by gipsy, 29 December 2010 - 12:54 PM.

#11 Guest_mummytomany_*

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:55 PM

I was just there last week with out of town guests! And we ate lunch at Whale Beach. I love the northern most Sydney beaches.
  We might have passed each other baddmammajamma as I was at Palmy most days last week, although we tend to go late in the day after all the visitors have gone home.   Boxing Day was still packed when we were there at 4pm - 6pm!

#12 Canberra Chick

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:58 PM

There's some gorgeous beaches between Moruya and Bermagui, which is on your way down.

Also, just north of Bateman's Bay is Depot Beach, which is gorgeous and not that far off the main road. Pebbly Beach (which is actually mostly sandy) is also beautiful but a bit more awkward to get to.

I also love the beaches around Shark Bay in WA. My geeky microbiologist side loves the stromatolites.

#13 ducks-on-the-dam

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (brazen @ 29/12/2010, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
green patch, jervis bay - whitest sand in the world original.gif

we didn't go at a good time of year, it's much more beautiful at other times of year but here you go:

Actually no, nno2.gif  Greenpatch isn't the whitest. Hyams beach is (2 beaches before. I should know I live there.

And you really don't want to come here. No it's not that great. Just awful really. Stay away, just stay away...
....pllleeeaaasse   hands.gif  hands.gif  hands.gif

Sorry, just having a meltdown..so many tourists. wwhistle.gif  wwhistle.gif

Breathe deeply...now that's better

BTW, if you decide to go into Wreck bay (summercloud) make sure you get that windscreen option on your car insurance wink.gif
The local community has a bit of a field day sometimes in people's cars.

#14 aussiebella

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:00 PM

I have 2 fave beaches.

Freshwater Beach- Northern Beaches, NSW My Grandmother lived in Harbord (Now known as Freshwater) so whenever I visited we went to Freshy beach and I adored it. I was quite used to open beaches with very few people, so going to a beach where you swim between the flags and hundreds of people on a hot day, was quite an adventure. But I loved it because you could body surf and the water was so nice. I also loved going to the saltwater pools that Sydney is famous for.

Meelup- Dunsborough, W.A Crystal clear water, white sand... basically heaven on earth. I LOVE this beach and the surrounding beaches. So much space that it's not crowded. Take a snorkle and googles and go looking at all the fish. Just watch out for the stingers biggrin.gif

Edited by aussiebella, 29 December 2010 - 01:02 PM.

#15 budgy

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:02 PM

We love Yamba for our beach holiday each year.

Flinders Beach on North Stradbroke Island is gorgeous too.

#16 Dylan_Oliver_Mummy

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:03 PM

My Favorite Beaches are all in SA.
Middleton
Aldinga
Moana
Port Noarlunga
Moonta
Port Vincent

#17 Guest_mummytomany_*

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

Sorry, just having a meltdown..so many tourists.
  lol, I can relate to that.  We like to call them FBI's which stands for Filthy Blow Ins.

#18 Fabulous

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:07 PM

I think the beaches at Esperance in WA are probably the most beautiful that I have ever seen from a scenic point of view. I love the ocean drive. Too cold for swimming though and many have dangerous rips/currents.

Most of the Perth beaches are lovely for swimming.

Edited by ceres, 29 December 2010 - 01:08 PM.

#19 Banana Pancakes

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:08 PM

Ive lived up and down the South Coast of NSW and they have the most beautiful beaches in the world. I agree with a p.p that Hyams beach has the whitest sand in the world.

Im a bit of a beach snob so Im not keen on the ones in Sydney far too crowed and not half as pretty as the ones on the far south coast.

The beaches up in FNQ are lovely such a pity you cant swim there freely!

#20 Soontobegran

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:09 PM

I agree with most beaches along the Great Ocean Rd are absolutely breathtaking---just like the views.
I am a lot in love with the beaches on the NSW south coast like Merimbula, Pambula, Bermagui--mainly because they are lovely, family friendly and not overcrowded!

My most favourite beach ever isn't in Australia. It is on the Isle of Pines in New Caledonia----anyone else been there?
The sand is white--there is no 'gunk' on the beach and the water is clear, clear emerald green and you can see the fish/corals etc as you swim. wub.gif

#21 toosenuf

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE (gipsy @ 29/12/2010, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pearl Beach NSW Central Coast original.gif

http://www.pearl-beach.com/

Totally agree 100%.

I am not a beach person at all, but i love this beach, i find it best in the off season better though, less people around  ph34r.gif

#22 aria

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:16 PM

We have travelled at lot within Aus and overseas and have seen some amazing beaches

Palm Cove
Northern NSW
Jervis Bay region
Cape Leveque on the Dampier Pennisula north of Broome is amazing
Whitehaven Beach in the Whitsundays
Esperence etc in South WA
and beaches here is SA a great are as well

but the best beach we have even seen is.....

well its so beautiful and so unspoilt I am not even going to tell you exactly where it is! Suffice to say its at an Aboriginal community in the North of WA. Definately not on the tourist route, no resorts nothing at all just the most amazing beach we have ever seen and we had it all to ourselves

Edited by aria, 29 December 2010 - 01:30 PM.

#23 Dionysus

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE (Dylan_Oliver_Mummy @ 29/12/2010, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My Favorite Beaches are all in SA.
Middleton
Aldinga
Moana
Port Noarlunga
Moonta
Port Vincent

yep, SA has arguably the best beaches in Australia!

ETA - ok, well not according to wikiaustralia, but seriously, they are damn good  original.gif

Edited by **Mel**, 29 December 2010 - 01:17 PM.

#24 ShoshieRu

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:17 PM

Greens Pool in Denmark, WA:

http://www.rainbowcoast.com.au/areas/denmark/greenspool.htm

Speaking as a gal who grew up in Perth (27 years there), Cott is overrated - I much prefer the beaches around Albany.

#25 Nora.

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:17 PM

I'm not a beach person at all but Hyams Beach is without a doubt the most beautiful beach I have ever visited.

Stuff the locals, we'll stay away from your beaches if you stay away from our cities & airports. It's only fair  tongue.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.