September 05 Parents #401

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
71 replies to this topic

#51 Kay1

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:31 AM

Oh my, Dan. sad.gif That just breaks my heart. Poor Jasmine. And poor you of course. I know how hard I have found it when Nate has had bad days at school and they haven't been anything like what you've had. Have you tried ringing your local Childcare nurse? When Nate was having issues with preschool I called them and asked for a child psychologist recommendation. They put me onto the local Mental Health Service and I rang up and made an appointment with a psychologist. She was really good and it was all free.  I do think you need to get an expert involved at this point, you need tips on how to break the cycle. Anxiety is not something that will get better on its own IME.

I'm so sorry that you are going through this and especially while Chris is away. I'm glad yesterday was a little better and that you can regroup over the weekend and have some fun with the girls.

Thinking of you. bbighug.gif

#52 Starbuck

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:57 PM

Oh Dan, that just breaks my heart too. I was reading your post to Steven and he was feeling the same way. I will give you a call this week.  bbighug.gif It must  be so hard with Chris away. I agree with Kay that you should try to get a referral for a child psych. They can help you learner to help her with her anxiety. A is still going and it is really beneficial. Stupid school!! I probably would have gone off at them for saying they can't help. rant.gif

I hope she starts to settle soon!!

I better go, I am so busy and already behind on uni. Gah. I keep thinking it will be ok when the election is over, but then remember Steven is off to the US for almost 4 weeks. I think I may drop a subject...I don't want to but I don't want to be too stressed. Plus, for one of my subjects we have a stupid group work assignment, who sets a group assignment for external students?  aannoyed.gif It's due two weeks after the election, so if it was just me I would just start it then, but in a group I have to pull my weight.

Rosie is doing well at school. She has started having canteen and aide wise it's all working out. I finally got around to asking the teacher how she was going non CF wise and apparently she is doing fine. It's weird though having a child who is actually 'learning' at school, like letters and reading etc, cause A already knew. Helping with homework is very different.

Anyway, better go.  waves.gif

#53 mhjemma

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:53 PM

Crap Dan, that is horrible sad.gif Be pushy and MAKE the school get on board to help out. My heart is breaking for poor Jazzy sad.gif

HELLO!!!!

I haven't been here in months! Sounds like a mixed bag with starting school. Caius likes school (I wouldn't say love though!) but the poor mite has been at home for 2 days, and again tomorrow with his first ever case of tonsillitis. I still can't believe how much he sweat on Sunday night!! Not much sleep happening here at the moment but he seems to be a bit better today. Fingers crossed for tonight!

As for me, I have struggled with the start of the term. We're half way through term already and I am only starting to feel only a little behind rather than sinking in quicksand! I teeter between despair and exhaustion, to pride and a sense of purpose. My kids this year are gorgeous, but a very strange bunch with some difficult social issues.

On a positive note though, I have been granted 'ongoing' status in my position now, so unless I screw up majorly, I have a guaranteed job for as many years as I can stand it!!! Yay for me original.gif

I am rather self-absorbed at the moment (can you tell? LOL) sorry. Hello to everyone, and welcome to the newbies. I still rely on you all to read my ramblings and you are all an amazing bunch of women. I still shake my head in awe and disbelief at the super support we all give each other in times of need. You are a special group that I am ever-thankful to have discovered.

xoxoxoxoxo

#54 MaryfromtheDairy

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:37 AM

Typed a stupid long post and lost it mad.gif

now to paraphrase:

Love you all, coming back to read this thread is like putting on a tracksuit and fluffy socks and raising a glass of fine red.  bbighug.gif

#55 Kay1

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:50 PM

R - bbighug.gif Well put as always. original.gif Hope you and the kids are doing ok. Would love to hear how Will is doing at school.

#56 MegMogandFiestyCat

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:21 PM

Danielle hope that it all works out for you and Jasmine and you are able to get the help you are looking for.

Hi to everyone else

We have had an interesting start to Elizabeth going full days at school, as they provided the food if my stubborn daughter doesn't like it she takes ages to eat it.  The other day it was 50 mins, all the other children had finished and were either resting or playing.  Elizabeth has to eat because of the insulin or else she hypos, she also hypos if she takes to long to eat her meal.  Her reactions seems to be oh well then I can have a hypo pack (2-3 lollies and a snack pack of little biscuits).  The teachers are trying to break this and she gets a prima and piece of bread instead.  The trouble is that she loves bread so saying well if you don't eat then all you get is bread doesn't really work.  So I don't know what I am walking into each day that I go to pick her up as there is always hand over about what she has been like, what she has eaten, what her numbers have been and at times behaviour.  One day I will go in and pick her up and all will have been fine.  I am not sure what to do but will see what happens.  At the same time as Elizabeth starting full days we have had a rotten two weeks of illness here from temps to tonsillitis to hand foot and mouth disease.  Fortunately most of it has been other family members and not Elizabeth because for her to get sick it can suddenly mean that we end up at rch on a drip.  Poor Rhiannon though has coped most of it along with DH.  Elizabeth had a touch on Saturday but it seems to have gone now.

Yesterday the Elizabeth fell off a log that she was balancing on and has hurt her arm, I don't think it is broken but I have a drs appointment this afternoon after school to see what is going on as she is in pain.  DH and DSister agree with me as all of us have looked at her and her arm and evaluated, the other two hold current first aid, mine is out of date.

I was lucky on Sunday DH minded the girls for 2 hours while I went for a walk to the local chocolate shop and had a cup of tea and sat down and read for an hour.  I went to walk home and found the rain was pouring so I rang him and suggested how about I finish off the shopping and he meet me at the shopping centre as I didn't want to get drenched.  He did this which was wonderful.  He didn't get the public holiday and was out on Saturday so I strongly suggested that he was looking after his daughters so that I could have a break after the last two weeks.

All I can say is thank goodness I can sometimes read or look at my laptop while breastfeeding and for the weekly photography challenge or else I think I would disappear.

Have a good week everyone

#57 MegMogandFiestyCat

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:06 PM

We ended up with xrays and Elizabeth has a soft tissue injury that will take about a week to heal (in theory).  

Thanks for letting me scream

#58 BronR

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:27 PM

Just saw we were in recent topics so knew I should come in and say Hi.

Dan. I am so sorry Jazzy is having such a terrible time settling in to school. It must break your heart. I hope you take on board Kay and Kirsten's suggestion and see a professional for help. In the mean time bbighug.gif

Belle. Phew, too busy for me. Glad the boys are doing so well. Calculus!! Brings back bad memories to me of first year maths but you are super clever so I know it's no problem for you.

Renee. You are always so close to my thoughts. I hope you are doing OK.  hhugs.gif

School is causing us some angst too. Rory loves it (especially before and after care and wants to go there evey day!! huh.gif ) but I have had my first call from the deputy about an outburst he had last Friday when he completely lost the plot with his teacher. Basically he didn't do as he was asked as in his words "we were just having fun" (he and another boy in his class) and the teacher said something along the lines of if you don't come and sit down now maybe on Monday you will have to miss a little bit of your free play time. Well at this Rory completely went into a rage, it wasn't fair, you are stupid (yep he call his teacher stupid ohmy.gif ) yadda yadda. Well he was called to the principles office for a talking to and they called me just to let me know as they thought he might not tell me about it (and they were right). Anyway, we had a big talk (again) over the weekend about how it doesn't matter if he thinks that he just having fun, if the teacher (or me or DH for that matter) asks him to do something then he just needs to do it because that's life (I didn't exactly say that but what I was trying to get across was that he is not the boss and you sometimes, especially at school, just have to do what you are asked). So we cancelled his long awaited play date with his BF from CC who he hasn't seen since starting school and he was pretty good all weekend. So on Monday, he got a Merit Award from the Drama teacher. Normally I'd be thrilled but since it was his 3rd merit card it means he gets a principle's award. So on Tuesday he was given that and I just feel it was a bit too soon after the "big trouble" and he gets rewarded too soon. I so don't want him to get labelled the naughty boy. He's actually really not the naughty boy but he's so excitable and how can I say, doesn't control his anger well, that he gets himself into strife. He's too young to appreciate that the naughty tag can be hard to shake. I'm probably over thinking things but I worry for my beautiful little boy.

Sorry for the rambling post. Now I must to my bed!  biggrin.gif

#59 Kay1

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:45 AM

Oh Bron I am totally hearing you. It is so hard. Nate has earned himself the name "the naughty guy who hits all the time". cry1.gif I heard another kid describe him as that at a party on the weekend. He isn't a bully because he doesn't pick on anyone in particular but if he gets annoyed or overwhelmed he just hits out and can't seem to control the impulse. He's usually remorseful straight away. He has also been proudly telling me he hasn't been hitting at school and then confessed he was lying to me the whole time. sad.gif So now we have a communication book where the teacher can write any problems (she writes good things too). I'm hoping it helps. We have taken away the Wii game for this weekend and we have nowhere to go after that so we need to find another consequence that he cares about.

I agree Rory's merit award was too soon but not much you can do. This age can be so tricky for our firstborns who think they rule the world, then suddenly they go to school and realise you have to do as you are told all the time. I am finding the adjustment really hard as Nate is constantly questioning why he has to do what I say and complaining that I get to do whatever I want.

#60 ~~Lynny~~

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:16 PM

sorry no time to reply - just enough minutes left over to guzzle a coffee in peace before picking emily and damian up cry1.gif

so sorry to hear about all the school hassles.. got a couple myself.. the minor one being damians eating habits.. he has been eating really well since starting school but his school is a crunch and sip school meaning he has to sit down at 10am and have a drink of water, one fruit and a vege - he is just down right refusing to eat any vege rant.gif  he'll eat baby carrot but only if I peel it and leave some leaves attached what the!?

other major thing which is bugging me.. a boy beat him up 3-4 weeks into school.. school sorted it out, the boys get on really well now and often play together etc.. but today I got a message from my friend saying damian got bullied again this morning by the same little sh*t..  he was really upset but not actually hurt.. In the afternoons when I wait outside damians classroom I can see the boy annoying him, kicking him in the legs etc.. I feel like having a word with this kids mother but I dont think thats going to get me anywhere??

anywho I gotta run - will try and catch up tomorrow  xx

#61 Kay1

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:34 PM

I would talk to the teacher Lynny and ask her to talk to the other child's mother.

Yeah Nate has to have a fruit or veg in the morning. He will only eat carrot sticks or apple or sultana so I rotate those.

#62 Starbuck

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:59 PM

Fiestycat  I hope Elizabeth's arm is getting better.

Bron I agree that the merit certificate was to soon, but what can you do? Hopefully the talk with the Principal will be enough to stop that kind of behaviour in the future? It must have been terrible to hear he had been naughty!

Kay
Ditto to what I said to Bron to you too. Must be awful to hear that about Nate. Just remember that he is a very gifted little guy with some temper issues.  hhugs.gif Great that they have a communication book going with you now. We have one for Rosie, except that the Teachers aides go overboard with writing down what she has eaten. But, at least they are being really conscious of Rosie's need to eat and have her Creons properly.

Lynny Poor Damo.ddown.gif  Hopefully if you talk to the school you can work something out to stop him from being bullied.  

Me, well its 7 sleeps to the election.  ffear.gif I am majorly busy, plus struggling to keep up with uni. It will be good when the campaign is over, but kind of sad cause I do enjoy doing it. I am getting really good feedback on how I am going from lots of people so that is really good.  biggrin.gif Anyway, I just finished putting together some stuff on our positions on some issues that one of the councils in the electorate wants us to address. eg Will you support x amount of money being spent on y? Will you oppose z? etc. I've got to go through all the briefs and policies (unless I just know what we would support) and apply them to the specific thing the council is asking. Finally finished and off to watch some TV with DH. (who is going to the US a week after the election  ffear.gif unsure.gif sad.gif  )

#63 MegMogandFiestyCat

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

Starbuck good luck with the election.  Excuse my ignorance what is the election for?

I hope that all the school problems work out for everyone.  I had to bring Elizabeth home from school on Thursday because she wouldn't eat lunch so we will see what happens tomorrow.  Her arm appears to be getting better, which is good but at times is still is quiet painful for her.

Have a good week everyone

#64 Starbuck

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:13 AM

Thanks Fiestycat. It is the NSW state election. I am the campaign coordinator for the Greens candidate in my electorate.

#65 MegMogandFiestyCat

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:07 PM

Good luck, hope all goes well for you

#66 ~~Lynny~~

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:09 PM

trying to post but having a hectic day(s) - no kids tomorrow so no excuses then! Tounge1.gif  

good luck Kirsten!

#67 bellemae

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:04 PM

Hiya all original.gif

Kirsten - Good Luck with it all!!!  How long is Steven off for? (sorry if you've already mentioned, but my memory has been overloaded with uni and work and I've forgotten). Are you still doing 2 units, or did you drop back to one?

Fiestycat How is Elizabeth's arm going?  Oh it must be so hard with the food thing at school, hopefully she settles into it a little as the routine becomes more and more normal.

Kay Been thinking of you and your gorgeous boy. It must be so hard hearing your beautiful boy described as 'the naughty kid'. The thing is though, he's not a mean kid, he just has difficulty controlling himself when he's overwhelmed with a situation. He is a lucky boy to have such loving supportive amazing parents. I have no doubt that over time he will learn to overcome this challenge and these outbursts will become a thing of the past.

Dan Your post broke my heart sad.gif Your poor little girl, and poor you! I can't believe the school said they couldn't help. Have you managed to get in to see anyone with her yet? How's Jazzy been over the past few weeks, any change?  bbighug.gif

Renee I think of you often and wonder how you're going. I'm not really sure where you're at with your treatment at the moment or whether you're done for the time being. Hoping that wherever it's at you're feeling positive and have some fabulous support nearby. How are your littlens going? bbighug.gif  

Oh, sorry had more to say, more people to reply to, but I'm getting very sleepy  ssleep.gif ...must go  waves.gif  

Oh quickly, Kai wrote a book original.gif All on his own, he sat quietly in the dining room for nearly an hour and returned with this

(though most of you will probably see it on facebook anyhow) I'm going to link to it here because I'm seriously proud! wub.gif

Edited by bellemae, 21 March 2011 - 08:08 PM.

#68 ~~Lynny~~

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:20 PM

Belle your boy is a freak of nature - and I mean that in a good way laughing2.gif awesome work, what a clever boy original.gif  wub.gif

#69 Kay1

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:00 PM

Belle - That is so cute as I said on FB. wub.gif Thank you for your kind comments about Nate. original.gif He is having a much better week. I realised that his obsession with Tom and Jerry coincided with his troubles. We had a similar problem with one of the very visually stimulating Wii games. I have banned Tom and Jerry  and I don't know if its coincidence but he seems to be back to his sweet self. He even has a girlfriend. wub.gif Her mum said she saw them working together in class and he was putting his arm around her and kissing her cheek! ohmy.gif The mum was very relaxed about it so obviously it was not inappropriate but I had a chat to him about it anyway. He assures me he loves her and she will be his girlfriend until the last day of year 6 laughing2.gif. Apparently he likes her because she is "cute" and looks like Leo. mellow.gif

We have parent teacher meetings next week and I am going to ask for a meeting with the learning support teacher and possibly stage coordinator. I think he needs more extension. His reading is actually deteriorating because he is trying to sound out words letter by letter like the kids are being taught to do, instead of breaking them into parts like he was. Plus he must be so bored sitting through those parts of the lessons. Will see how it goes. I don't know what the answer is but am hoping they'll come up with a plan.

Fiestycat - I hope Elizabeth's arm is better. Seems to be going on a bit long. unsure.gif I hope the food issues resolve too, that must be so worrying.

Dan - How is Jasmine doing these days? I hope she's feeling more settled now and things are settling down now Chris is home.

Kirsten - Good luck this weekend, the last push now hey? original.gif

Renee - Thinking of you always. We would love to hear how the kids are doing.

Well best be off. Am keeping very busy at the moment with school stuff and building/planting a veggie garden, painting things and general home maintenance stuff - its neverending! My baby got a big chair today, no more highchair. cry1.gif He's all growed up!

Edited by Kay1, 24 March 2011 - 05:01 PM.

#70 MaryfromtheDairy

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:29 PM

Hey guys!  I find it really hard to post properly because it seems my neuro added a CBF chip to my brain which makes me run at a MUCH slower pace somehow.  It's like I get all excited about something being a good idea, but my commitment to following through on undertaking the task just isn't there - no matter how interested I am in it.  It's actually quite annoying.  My family have also become used to me saying I'll do something and then not doing it - either because I've forgotten about it or I ran out of steam and it all seemed to hard.  Very unlike me previously!  So anyway, this is all to say that despite being terribly interested about your lives and our babies, the brain to finger signal has to go through the CBF chip and nothing much happens after that.

huh.gif  shrug.gif

But let me try anyway - Dan that's awful, is she doing any better now? I'd love to hear an update.  Lynny -My school has a rule that parents aren't to approach each other about kids behaviour but to sort it out through the school. Kay/Belle - Wil has only just in the past week taken any type of interest in reading.  FINALLY!!!!  

So... um Wil's behaviour lately has been just brilliant.  He's finally started eating every meal and going to bed when told and he is very gentle and thoughful - the other day I took the kids out to ride their bikes and Cait's tyres were flat and she cried because she couldn't keep up and so Wil gave her his bike and walked.  Soooo sweet my heart melted.  Doesn't sound like much, but he does that type of thing all the time.  Cutie.  

Cait is being more of a handful.  She's got glue ear again and I've got her back to the ENT for grommets in June.  I'm not sure if she's being completely naughty or ... (OK there's a large element of 'Little Miss Independent' who cannot be told a thing)   Shes settled well into the ELC at Big School and has lots of friends.  She's a happy thing but very very clingy at home and gives me a lot of attitude.  She's perfected her frown and dagger-eyes look, quite an alarming look on such a pretty  angelic looking child.

arrgh far out - battery dying - will post this or i'll lose it and CBF redoing LOL

#71 Kay1

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:55 PM

Hey LilWil!! original.gif Sorry to hear about the CBF side effect. Ah well, just go with the flow I spose! So great to hear from you about how the kids are doing. I have been wondering how Wil was coping with school. How sweet is he giving his sister his bike!? Wow - that is really something. Our boys can be such sweethearts when they want to be huh?

Glad Cait is doing well too. I know what you mean about the dagger stares. I am getting them from Leo already.

#72 Kay1

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:35 PM

Hi again,

Well as most of you would have seen on FB I had a rather emotional day today. Nate had his first ever soccer game and as he ran on and started playing I was just completely blindsided by this memory of standing outside the hospital when he was sick and bawling and saying desperately to DH over and over again "I just want  him to be able to walk again". cry1.gif I had a little cry (thank goodness for sunglasses!) watching him and then just to top it all off he scored his team's first goal! eexcite.gif

So much fun, he was so happy. biggrin.gif I just can't believe how lucky we are, how far we've come and I will never forget that you girls were there for me then and every step of the way since. wub.gif

In other news, we're all still coughing. I'm pretty sure we have mycoplasma again so off to the GP again on Monday to try and get some antibiotics. I had a bad coughing fit last night and have pulled muscles all over the place. I just couldn't catch my breath, it was like croup - awful.

Hope all are well and enjoying a nice weekend. original.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.