South East Queenslanders...
more flooding

• Please log in to reply
754 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Excentrique_*

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:18 AM

Alot of rain coming today and tomorrow so alot more flooding likely. Considering the fact we have already got soaked ground, it will just run off the ground and cause flooding issues. Sounds like brisbane area is going to get the worst of it (80+ml today and tomorrow), so hope everyone doesnt cop any damage. Stay safe and be careful!

#2 3'sACharm

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:48 PM

Thank you!! Im out at Kilcoy (near Somerset Dam) and the 2 ways out of town have been closed since 5am this morning...my husband went to work at 4am and got thru...now he can't get back sad.gif Ive never seen so much water in my life..I hope it stops soon!

#3 my*xmas*kiddies

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:53 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

We had water to ourbackdoor the other day Dh had to go get sandbags. Scarey stuff.

#4 mum@work

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:55 PM

We're on the Sunshine Coast and have had about 100mm since yesterday.  It is still bucketing down.  Our town isn't flooded in yet, but if this continues it will be.

#5 X5-494

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:30 PM

Please, Please don't tell me that Brisbane is going to get cut off sad.gif

#6 StudyMum

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:32 PM

We have been cut off for the most part since yesterday. Fun times.

#7 misshavok

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

One section of our yard 'floods' but that's generally it, with the direction of the rain today though our entire 'back patio' is flooded. Still very minor but I have never even seen water flood it as it's concrete and quite a few cm's above grass height. It sure as heck doesn't look like it's going to stop anytime soon.

I'm currently in Caboolture btw. If I still lived in Wamuran, I have no doubts we would be flooded in already though as Wam has many of those 'dips' in the road over little creek beds.

#8 cordyline

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

so over it. We haven't been able to mow our lawns for 6 weeks as our back yard is waterlogged. and the  or 2 sunny days we have had have not been enough to dry it out.

But I can't complain given the devastation further north.

#9 Snagglepussed

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:42 PM

I have just come back from a holiday to Bundaberg and Hervey Bay!
We were flooded in t Bundy one night and we couldn't even get to our destination of Agens Water to see my Aunt as they were cut off the entire time we were there!
I have never seen so much water and my kids certainly learned a hell of a lot about floods and the damage they can cause!

Sending my best to all of you in the risk areas in the hope that there is no damage.

Amazing rain up there! I was in shock with the constant torrential rain that continue to bucket out of the sky with no end in sight! sad.gif

#10 ~JASB~

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (~SinfullyCrazy~ @ 09/01/2011, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my husband went to work at 4am and got thru...now he can't get back sad.gif

Oh sad.gif  I hope he gets home soon!!  That'd be awful!
I'm southside and have had heavy rain a couple of times today, but no worse than it has been of late.  I'm so sick of it, but we are so much better off than many other Queenslanders.  Seeing the Theodore residents go back home had me in tears watching the news.  The poor lady crying because her pets were missing cry1.gif

#11 Guest_Excentrique_*

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:57 PM

the whole system is moving slowly south so if your more on the southern side of brisbane the worst is yet to come. I read that we will get the worst of it late tonight (toowoomba).

Hope your husband gets home ~SinfullyCrazy~

#12 GlitterRiver

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:58 PM

Totally over this rain.  We're 20 mins west of Caboolture and our road is flooded at one end.  Not sure about Campells Pocket at Wamuran though - if this keeps up, work for tomorrow is not looking good!!  biggrin.gif

#13 3'sACharm

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:16 PM

I don't think he'll make it till Tuesday!

#14 my*xmas*kiddies

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE (~SinfullyCrazy~ @ 09/01/2011, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think he'll make it till Tuesday!

Holey crap!!!

Not looking good  sad.gif

#15 ~Delilah~

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:20 PM

I've had enough of it. My backyard is underwater by a couple of inches, a few inches in other places. The patio is underwater. Another inch and it will be inside the house. How come the weeds can still grow? I got my lawn mowed 2 weeks ago and now it looks like a jungle.

There is only one way in and out of my area. When I came through this morning it was ok but I'm nervous about how it will be tonight. Some of the staff from work are cut off and can't come in. One guy made it to work last night but spent the night worrying about making it back home to his wife and three kids. I hope he made it home safely.  

My thoughts are with those stranded and pray there are no more deaths.

#16 Veryclucky

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:03 PM

Good luck to all those in flooded areas....hope you don't get too much damage and your familes can get home safe.

Sinfully Crazy- I hope your DH has someone he can stay with until the flooding subsides.

I am in North Brissy and while there are flooded roads around, it doesn't cause me too much issue as our house is not in a low area and we are not cut off from anything. Our main issue is the weeds growing wild and taking over our vege patch. We managed to mow last week but the rain came before we got the whippersnippering done.

It is bucketing down though so I think the South Pine River will bust its banks properly again tonight especially as it is tidal and was right at the tips of its banks at lunchtime.

Should be fun walking to work in the rain tomorrow. I think I will go casual with thongs and tailored shorts (have a spare pair of work shoes at work) as there is many a puddle for me to negotiate along the way. Train/bus will be fun too.

#17 Guest_Excentrique_*

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:09 PM

wow sinfullycrazy that does not look to good! I have a friend who can't retrieve her baby boy from her mums due to flooding. Not good at all. We have had 60ml so far, another 40-80 predicted for tomorrow. Quite a few road closures around.

#18 Guest_Excentrique_*

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:47 AM

How is everybody today? Lots more rain coming today, there are flood warnings for dalby and brisbane council is handing out sandbags. THey are saying to limit non-essential travel. Stay safe everyone. Water levels can rise very quickly.

#19 Superduperlucky

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE (~JAS~ @ 09/01/2011, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The poor lady crying because her pets were missing cry1.gif

Gawd I got tears just reading that, M  cry1.gif

We are on the bayside and it has been literally bucketing down on and off since about yesteday lunchtime. The worst was light night about 7pm just as we were going out to pick up some pizzas. I have NEVER been so scared driving in my life, and that was only 3 minutes up the road. The creek that runs through the golf course near us was almost overflowing. I've noticed the pebbles on the side of our house are under about an inch of water and our paved outdoor area was under maybe 1/2 inch in parts, but apart from that and the overflowing pool we are OK so far.

We left our two little pooches inside today. It was SO hard leaving them to go to work this morning but I'd hate the thought of them being outside by themselves in this rain.

As much as I am over this weather I just feel for the North Qlders who've lost so much. Makes you realise just how harsh Mother Nature can be, doesn't it?

Sinfully Crazy, how is your DH??

#20 Pearson

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:52 AM

we live in south west brisbane, at the top of a hill, and we have the makings of a moat around our house!  Sandbags are being sought out and gotten today to make sure that it stays out of the house!

As DH said, on the plus side, we are still in our house, and dont live in the areas where the house has been underwater for weeks.... I hope tht they are all ok.  Mud can be washed off, furniture replaced, lives however, are not that easy to come by.

#21 Guest_Excentrique_*

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:58 AM

The situation is going to get a hole lot worse though, I hope people realise this. Wivenhoe dam is getting very full and soon they will have to fully crank open the gates which is bad news for brisbane. Very windy here, more rain.

I hope all this hasn't affected gympie and maryborough to much since they are already in line for flooding.

#22 nayjay

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:14 PM

It is awful!  My heart is breaking for the people that have been affected so far.  Gympie will peak tonight...expected to peak over 20m. Marybrough peaked on Sunday and has started to go down but will peak again with the water from Gympie...so who knows what impact other flooding will have.  Gympie is already experiencing major flooding.
Some pics from Maryborough...
Lamington Bridge in Maryborough
Preparing for the worst
One of the streets

#23 Pull Up A Beanbag

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:29 PM

grass mowed two weeks ago- Can't get a photo of the creek behind the fence, but so far it doesn't seem to be major.

pothole from where I bogged my car hole created two weeks ago, currently 2 inches of water in it from recent rain

what happened when i created said pothole trying to move car

I tried to get a photo of the water that comes up between your toes just walking across the lawn.  It is SO oversaturated here

#24 Miss Cherry

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

I just saw footage of the flash flooding in Toowoomba on ABC 24. I am speechless.  Cars are getting washed everywhere.

#25 Lucky Mama

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:28 PM

Toowoomba took a thrashing this afternoon, it was truly terrifying, the damage and devastation are immense!

Praying for everyone in all the flooded regions

Kim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.