South East Queenslanders...
more flooding

• Please log in to reply
754 replies to this topic

#101 sarkazm76

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:28 AM

Check this out - http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/water/monitorin...site_id=422332B

Shows that the creek in Toowoomba went up 2m in 1 hour between 4pm and 5pm!!  And that the "flow" went from 4155 to 23448!!!!  Yikes

Jenks - i would't worry about Nudgee.  Haven't heard anything about it flooding there/ it's not on any of the road closure lists.  Also.... Nudgee floods all the time when it rains (or parts of it) due to it's proximity to the Kedron Brook.  But never so bad it causes evacuations or anything.

#102 Guest_ScoobyDumb_*

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:30 AM

Absolutely terrifying footage. Thinking of all effected.

#103 Velociraptor

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:40 AM

It's all a bit terrifying isn't it. We are in Ipswich in a serviced apartment waiting for our house in Springfield Lakes to be ready in a few weeks.

We only arrived on the 9th, driving via the New England Hwy from Wauchope and there were raging torrents everywhere. Driving through the mountains in the Main Range area near Stanthorpe, Warrick etc there were waterfalls - huge ones - just gushing off the sides of the mountain, with huge piles of mud and debris. I can't imagine what it's all like now. We won't be flooded here, but our dogs are in a kennel near Amberley which is already a bit flooded. DH is calling in today (army) to see if they want him back from leave early.

Yesterday we drove to Brisbane Airport to drop off a hire car and saw a few areas near Eagle Creek (?) where the water was moving onto the road.

Edited by Tyrannosaurus Rex, 11 January 2011 - 06:42 AM.

#104 jazmum

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:42 AM

I feel so much for all the people affected by this, but i cannot get the image out of my head of the people in the white 4wd floating in the muddy water, the passanger looked so distressed, are these people OK

#105 ~Goggles~

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:43 AM

Just horrible scenes in Toowoomba and surrounds sad.gif Thinking of all affected sad.gif

We are in the CBD in a high-rise so will be heading off to higher ground today as we are about 400m from the river. Supposed to have left to drive to Townsville on Sunday but have had to stay here due to road closures and we were  to be staying here until at least Friday waiting for the roads to open. Our cars are in the underground carpark so we might head off to stay with the inlaws who are a fair way from the river. *sigh* Terrible times ahead for many people I imagine sad.gif

#106 lafonda

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:48 AM

I hope everyone is okay in the affected areas.

I don't know alot about Brisbane, was just wondering it Strathpine is okay?

#107 Velociraptor

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:48 AM

Some of those pics in the thread are incredible - I've only ever seen flooding in Newcastle after that storm when the Pasha Bulka ran aground. That was a scary storm to be in and it was only one night of rain. I'm very worried at the idea there's so much more rain predicted this week.

#108 sunshine_days

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:51 AM

Thinking and praying for everyone effected by the floods in Queensland. Please keep safe those who are out there.

I have seen some footage and photos and its shocking and scarey how quickly it happened...

#109 sarkazm76

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:56 AM

QUOTE (marmeg86 @ 11/01/2011, 06:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope everyone is okay in the affected areas.

I don't know alot about Brisbane, was just wondering it Strathpine is okay?

Strathpine is fine - I'm 2 suburbs away but drive through it each day.  We flood here all the time due to being so close to North Pine and South Pine Rivers which also join to North Pine Dam which is full.  We've had flooding but it's been what they term "minor to moderate".

For example - this is the plot of the South Pine River level for last few days:
http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDQ65389/IDQ65389.540415.plt.shtml

You can see it's a fair bit above where it normally sits but the flooding is confined to the areas surrounding the river and not residential or anything.

#110 lafonda

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:58 AM

Thank you Sarkazm original.gif

#111 hawkchick

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:05 AM

i cannot get the image out of my head of the people in the white 4wd floating in the muddy water, the passanger looked so distressed, are these people OK

Same here...Harrowing.

So sad to hear that two little children died last night in Grantham. 8 people died yesterday, 2 in Toowoomba and 6 in Grantham (they're saying on Sky News). 30 people unaccounted for in Grantham, 8 people unaccounted for in Murphy's Creek.

#112 Kay1

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:11 AM

I am not in QLD but I'm so upset by all this. sad.gif Its just terrible. The footage from Toowoomba is just horrifying.

Stay safe everyone and let's just all hope this damn rain stops!!

#113 rixensartian

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE (red door @ 11/01/2011, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OMG, I am just seeing footage now of people on roof tops and a family balanced on the roof of a car with moving muddy water all around. so terrifying.

I really hope and pray this rain stops soon.

I just saw the picture of the family on The Australian page.  Really disturbing.  If anyone reads news of them (good I sincerely hope) can you update please.

#114 dreamingofcats

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:30 AM

Good grief, how tragic.

7 lives lost, so devestatingly heartbreaking. Stay safe everyone.  sad.gif

#115 red door

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:36 AM

not trying to be inflammatory, as that is def not my intention-  are we only relying on SES for rescue? can't they send the army in? I don't know how these things work so I am just asking. they have boats and rescue workers.

#116 hawkchick

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:39 AM

I agree with you, red door. When I saw those people trapped in their cars, or on their cars, or on their house roofs, my husband and I were wondering why the army weren't flying those big helicopters there. Isn't there a big army base in Townsville - surely it wouldn't take that long to fly from Townsville to Grantham? I know they're thousands of kms away, but still....

#117 Asterisk

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:42 AM

Glad to hear members in flood effected towns are ok. The images are absolutely horrifying- especially those from Toowoomba yesterday.

My SIL is in Brisbane visiting family. She due to fly back to Sydney late this afternoon, anyone know if the airport is expected to be effected or not? She's staying in Graceville which has a chance of flooding (according to the map a PP posted) so we're hoping she can get out today.

I'm wishing for this rain to let up for you all. Stay safe.

#118 Kay1

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:43 AM

I was wondering that too. I guess they had to wait til daylight but surely today they'll get in there!?

#119 .Jerry.

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:46 AM

Spaced - airport should be fine. original.gif

#120 hawkchick

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:46 AM

I can't help but thinking that Channel 9 jumped the gun on their fundraising telethon. I think if they had have waited until this horrific footage was available, people would have been more generous...I realise hindsight is a wonderful thing though. The Vic bushfire fundraising total was just under $400 million (including interest) The Qld flood relief total is around $25 million so far, so let's hope the rest of Australia dig deep and get moved into action.

#121 tygrays

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:47 AM

This is so scary and sad - I hope that everyone here is safe xxx

I wont turn the news on because my children are already terrified about it all (my eldest has aspergers and worries about natural disasters all the time) and some of the footage I've been warned is very disturbing.

I sincerely hope the family in the 4wd are located and safe...  I can't imagine what it's like to be living up there at the moment so I really do pray that this rain stops and a clean up can commence and there's no more loss of life!!!

#122 jayz~mel

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:48 AM

QUOTE (red door @ 11/01/2011, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
not trying to be inflammatory, as that is def not my intention-  are we only relying on SES for rescue? can't they send the army in? I don't know how these things work so I am just asking. they have boats and rescue workers.

Well considering that Toowoomba has their own army barracks, you would think they'd be able to help. I'm not sure why they aren't. I used to live there and it's really distressing watching all this happen. I finally managed to contact a friend of mine up there last night and they are thankfully ok, but in her words "very very wet."

According to the news, Brisbane is going to be hit tomorrow. I read this about half an hour ago.

Lord Mayor Campbell Newman has officially put Brisbane on Flood Alert.

More than 400 streets will be affected by flooding in some way

Below is the list of suburbs where the 455 properties that will be affected on Wednesday 12 January are located. In brackets is the number of properties/parcels of land that will be affected in each suburb.

- Rocklea (80)
- Albion (49)
- Milton (49)
- Auchenflower (40)
- Norman Park (26)
- Pinkenba (26)
- Oxley (19)
- New Farm (17)
- Kangaroo Point (16)
- Bulimba & Sherwood (14 each)
- Yeronga (10)
- Graceville (9)
- Newstead (8)
- Yerongpilly (7)
- Bowen Hills (6)
- Indooroopilly, Windsor (5 each)
- Wacol, Brisbane City, Moggill, East Brisbane, Fortitude Valley (4 each)
- Chelmer, Hemmant, Tennyson (3 each)
- Fairfield, Fig Tree Pocket, Coorparoo, South Brisbane, Lytton, Murrarie (2 each)

My DP works at Rocklea, so I'm guessing he wont be going to work tonight. I just want this all to stop already!!

xx Mel.

ETA - I read on a friend's status on FB that the family had indeed been found and they are all OK.

Edited by jayz~mel, 11 January 2011 - 07:49 AM.

#123 .Jerry.

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:49 AM

I spent five years living at Withcott, just below the range.  It has been badly affected.

The pictures of the people in that white car are terrifying. sad.gif

The thing with the flood in Toowoomba is that nobody could have imagined this.  It is not a flood town.  It is on the top of mountains with no river at all.  The flow in those creeks/stormwater drains was completely unexpected, with people running for their lives.

Most people in Brisbane are safe.  Wet, but safe.  Only those near the river or near creeks need worry at this stage.

#124 Maple Leaf

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:54 AM

I heard Bligh saying that they couldn't bring the helicopters out last night due to the bad weather, but they were going to try first thing in the morning. Is the army stuck in central qld and can't get south?

My BIL is a chef in the Upper Lockyer (outside twmba) needless to say he is stuck at the resturant with 3 other staff members, without power. No way they are getting out of there any time soon. At least they have food and drinks I suppose!

My MIL and FIL live in toowoomba and were going to go to town yesterday, thank god they didn't.

The Sunshine Coast rain has been unreal, I'm surprised we don't have more issues here. It has been non stop thunderstorms.

This whole thing is really starting to scare me now. sad.gif

#125 hawkchick

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:56 AM

Maple Leaf - I hope your BIL is ok...I don't blame you for being scared. I think we're all scared and some of us are not even personally involved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.