South East Queenslanders...
more flooding

• Please log in to reply
754 replies to this topic

#26 Maple Leaf

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:41 PM

My SIL in toowoomba sent me some pics. OMG!

I hope everyone is ok. The area looks terrible.

#27 brissymumof2

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (Veryclucky @ 09/01/2011, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good luck to all those in flooded areas....hope you don't get too much damage and your familes can get home safe.

Sinfully Crazy- I hope your DH has someone he can stay with until the flooding subsides.

I am in North Brissy and while there are flooded roads around, it doesn't cause me too much issue as our house is not in a low area and we are not cut off from anything. Our main issue is the weeds growing wild and taking over our vege patch. We managed to mow last week but the rain came before we got the whippersnippering done.

It is bucketing down though so I think the South Pine River will bust its banks properly again tonight especially as it is tidal and was right at the tips of its banks at lunchtime.

Should be fun walking to work in the rain tomorrow. I think I will go casual with thongs and tailored shorts (have a spare pair of work shoes at work) as there is many a puddle for me to negotiate along the way. Train/bus will be fun too.

you must be near me.im on ahill,so not doing too bad.

pine rivers bridge was being closed at one stage

my sil is stuck in am motel after giving birth and cant get home.

#28 Guest_Descentia_*

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:47 PM

I am on a hill so the water tends to drain before it gets inside. But we still have a tarp on the roof from where the first hail storm knocked out the skylight.

I think my Mum is now flooded in, my family has been flooded in Chinchilla and friends in Rocky are having a tough time.

#29 Therese

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:48 PM

What happened in Toowoomba was awful sad.gif  I hope everyone in all of the flooded areas is safe.

#30 hawkchick

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:54 PM

Thank you!! Im out at Kilcoy (near Somerset Dam) and the 2 ways out of town have been closed since 5am this morning...my husband went to work at 4am and got thru...now he can't get back sad.gif Ive never seen so much water in my life..I hope it stops soon!

Holy Crap! That photo you posted doesn't look good for you and your DH.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you all.

Please stay safe everyone.

#31 house_fan

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:19 PM

If you are in Gatton or know someone who is you should tell them to check the emergency information near them RIGHT NOW.

#32 Guest_Descentia_*

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:19 PM

Toowoomba is pretty screwed right now. Flash floods washed through the middle of the town and two people are still missing. Gatton is being evacuated as the water heads for them. Edward St in Brisbane is expected to flood in the next 2 days and the dams here are at 140%

Such irony for my aunt whose town was just taken off drought relief recently.

#33 kirsty38

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:29 PM

Tried calling my Aunt and Uncle in Toowoomba but they're not answering. hope everythings ok. sad.gif

#34 .Jerry.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:34 PM

Oh my. sad.gif  
The footage from Toowoomba is horrifying. Those vehicles being tossed around in the torrent of unexpected water.  ohmy.gif   I lived there for twenty  years and my mother has lived there for over 65 years and is amazed by this.  I hope everyone is safe.
Take care.

#35 Peanut

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:39 PM

Just watched the news and saw the devastating torrent running through Toowoomba.  They have warned that there's more to come unfortunately.  What a mess.  I hope that everyone takes care, I saw some foolish boys boarding the creek in my photo which concerned the heck out of me.

I didn't realise there was already a thread so I added one in my usual haunt in Photography, but here's a photo I took of Bulimba Creek (more in my flickr):

Edited by Peanut, 10 January 2011 - 05:40 PM.

#36 .Jerry.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

The footage of Helidon and Grantham (below Toowoomba range) is like nothing I could ever imagine! ohmy.gif   Walls of water are pushing houses away, with people clambering on to the roof!
Terrifying!

#37 house_fan

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:33 PM

Did anyone else see the people in the car being washed away- is there any news on them?

#38 Guest_Descentia_*

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:48 PM

5 people are missing with one child confirmed dead.

#39 senimili

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:00 PM

My thoughts are with everyone dealing with floods at the moment.

Sinfully Crazy - I hope your DH is able to get back soon. I lived and taught at Kilcoy for a little bit and have the town in my thoughts.  

I lived in SE Qld for 30 years including during the '74 floods )v young at the time) and taught in central Qld in '93 when we had flooding but I cannot remember such widespread devastation. I have only just come home from work so haven't seen pics of Toowoomba but the written reports are scary enough. Now being in southern states I feel quite helpless watching and am still trying to get hold of my father who I assume is simply out because his house should not be affected.

#40 hawkchick

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:01 PM

One car, reportedly seen being washed away, had one adult and 3 children in it.

This is a total nightmare.

(Source Here )

Edited by Blish, 10 January 2011 - 07:03 PM.

#41 3'sACharm

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:09 PM

We had a tiny break from the rain this afternoon and I was hoping that it would of stayed away until tomorrow so DH could get thru possibly tonight but there is more rain coming and im starting not to like being alone with the kids sad.gif

I just want this rain to stop!!! I miss my DH and the kids miss DH! It's not fair!!

#42 hawkchick

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:13 PM

Oh honey, I feel so sorry for you!!!! I know that doesn't help, but I'm sitting here thinking of you.

#43 *mylittleprince*

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:18 PM

Where is safe to travel to in Brisbane?

It would be great to have a map with affected areas.

IL's are here from overseas and want to see something other than the inside of our house but scared to travel with this crazy rain.

#44 house_fan

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:19 PM

Thinking of you too PP- that would be my worst nightmare. Is it likely you will need to evacuate or are you in a safe spot?

#45 house_fan

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:22 PM

You should refer to the radar to work out where is the safest place o me. My advice- today and tomorrow are not safe days.

#46 ~*hiptobesquare~*

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:22 PM

QLD Police have just advised the following

People in low lying areas between Gatton and Ipswich should immediately self-evacuate to higher ground.

This is a precaution due to the volume of water in local waterways.

Further updates will be provided when available.

stoplookingatme NO where is safe to travel at the moment. The creeks are rising within seconds it is just not safe to go anywhere. The emergency services are stretched beyond belief, the QPS scanner is going crazy.

#47 Veryclucky

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:29 PM

Torrential Rain in Toowoomba

This is a link to the Couriermail website and tonights Channel 7 news report on the flash flooding in Toowoomba and down the range.

It is shocking and completely unbelievable until you see it for yourself.

I just hope they were able to rescue all those stuck in cars and on roofs.

Hope any Eb'ers out that way were able to get to safety...Excentrique how are you and your family going?

#48 brissymumof2

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:32 PM

my aunts a single mum of 5 at gatton and she had to leave as she was ight by the creeks.

#49 blue86

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (stoplookingatme @ 10/01/2011, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where is safe to travel to in Brisbane?

It would be great to have a map with affected areas.

IL's are here from overseas and want to see something other than the inside of our house but scared to travel with this crazy rain.

Trust that fear - tomorrow and Wednesday are expected to be the worst for the Brisbane area. If you do not have to go out - DON'T. It is just not worth it, as the waters are rising and running very fast.

#50 Princess Bubblegum

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:34 PM

We have friends in Esk who have had water lapping at their doors today - both their neighbours' houses were inundated up to their roofs. They have lost lots of their buisness tools (furniture restoration) from their sheds and their chickens were washed away. They said it took less than 15 minutes for the water to rise almost two metres from the creek behind their house. Crazy!!! I'm in shock! We just spent the past week with them up at Tin Can Bay - nearly got stuck up there but managed to make it back home by bypassing Gympie on back roads and dirt tracks. We are going to go up to help them clean up as soon as the waters subside.

Breaking news on ABC says apparently there's another torrent of water headed their way right now! I'm so scared for them!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.