South East Queenslanders...
more flooding

• Please log in to reply
754 replies to this topic

#51 F.E.B.E

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:43 PM

My thoughts are with all EBers and families affected by the floods at the moment.

The Toowoomba situation looks terrible. I have some friends there and I know there are some Ebers from there too, I do hope we hear from them soon.

Stay safe everyone!

#52 MellissaD

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:47 PM

I'm in Toowoomba. The CBD was the worst affected area. So much damage to buildings and cars. Many businesses were evacuated.

Two people are confirmed dead, and there are three or four still missing.

Some areas have their water supply cut as a floating shipping container took out the main! All residents are being advised to boil drinking water as a precaution.

More rain predicted tomorrow.

#53 TinMan

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

If I was better at sending PMs I wouldn't do a public shout out but I wanted to check on one of the ladies I "see" lots in the Hot Specials forum...

Miss Lettuce Leaf are you and family ok?

#54 GlitterRiver

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:04 PM

So shocked to see what happened in Toowoomba today!   ohmy.gif Those poor people!   ohmy.gif

Both our offices (Redcliffe/Caboolture) were closed today.  Only a couple of staff got through and were sent home after about half an hour.  I didn't even try - the boss told me to stay home.

We are all fine here - in the mountains west of Caboolture, so if we flood, everyone is in a lot of trouble.  Stay safe everyone.

#55 .Jerry.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:13 PM

This video shows that the windows on the furniture store (Rowes) burst and the chairs were carried across the road!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_354w2N92-s

Hopefully no more people are found to be missing. sad.gif

#56 *LucyE*

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:17 PM

I was in the Toowoomba Grand Central shopping centre today when the flash flooding hit.  I also happened to park in the Dent St Myer carpark too  ohmy.gif   The water actually came inside the store  ohmy.gif  

Lucky I have a 4WD (another reason why they are a good idea - you never know when you will need the fording capabilities LOL) and got to the car just in time.  Other cars in our row were already flooded and the water was past the level of the door of my car so I had to climb in through the window.

What amazed me about this was how quickly it came up.  It was raining but no puddling of water when we arrived.  We had only been there for about 20mins before the announcement to move vehicles in that carpark and by the time I got back to the car, the place was flooded.  It was rising so quickly that you could see it right before your eyes (duh!).  Dent St was a torrent and we saw cars being carried passed.

Police are recommending that all non essential travel be canceled and for everyone to stay at home the next two days if possible.  The lives lost are tragic and the emergency services are stretched.

I hope everyone stays safe and that families can be together.

#57 .Jerry.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:27 PM

Glad you're okay *LucyE*!  That sounds like you had a close call!

It's odd.  I rang my mother in Toowoomba this morning and said that big rain was on the way to her, as we'd just had heavy rain here in Brisbane.  I said that they should stay home today as I reckon it would be bad for Toowoomba today.  Little did I know how bad.... (???)

Hope everyone in the Lockyer Valley is okay.

#58 hawkchick

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:32 PM

Wow, Lucy - you really did have a close call. Are you feeling OK? You must have been terrified! I drove through flooded areas in Northern Victoria in late October when that was flooded. It was so scary - I can't imagine what you guys are going through.

I'm just sitting here in bed watching Sky News' Brisbane coverage (I'm in Melbourne)

#59 Peanut

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:34 PM

Lucy, glad to hear that you got out of there and weren't caught in the flash flood.

#60 LisaMaree82

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:37 PM

Lucy I am glad you are ok.

Do you live near Tor St.  I cannot reach my sister.  I am worried sick.

Lisa

#61 house_fan

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:42 PM

I cannot reach my sister. I am worried sick.

I have heard power is out up there at the moment in some areas- so this may be why.

#62 *Lib*

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:55 PM

Its so surreal. I went to highschool in toowoomba and remember it flooding in about 94 up to the steps of Grand Central (Thats the one opp myer isn't it?) We were amazed at that. I can't even imagine it now. To see how deep it was near Maccas and outside the coffee club! OMG! Stay safe everyone!

#63 .Jerry.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:59 PM

For those trying to reach people in Toowoomba, as PP said, some power is out and the mobile networks are experiencing problems due to massive numbers of calls.

Most parts of the city are okay, just those near creeks and stormwater drains would have problems, or those in the CBD.

#64 LisaMaree82

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:00 PM

I just want to know that she wasn't in the main st

#65 Pull Up A Beanbag

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:12 PM

Brisbane ABC RAdio (612 AM) gives hourly updates on road closures with the news.

#66 hawkchick

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:12 PM

LisaMaree - thinking of you and your family. I'm sure you'll hear from your sister soon. As others have said, the news reports are speaking of widespread power outages and the mobile networks being jammed. Sending all of you all our love from EB land....

#67 Guest_Excentrique_*

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:22 PM

We are all ok. DH was supposed to work today but didnt as we were both up during the night with DD who had gastro and DH didnt feel wonderful this morning. I'm so glad he stayed home, otherwise his car would have been badly damaged if not washed away and he would have been stranded for a while.

I'm supposed to be going to uni tomorrow but we have been pardoned if we dont make it and i would prefer to stay home. The roads are badly damaged, driving is so dangerous, the hole place is such a mess. No warnings were give and now 2 people are dead and a few missing, its so awful.

Both my inlaws and my father were on the road at the time and almost got washed away, thankfully they are home safe. Wilsonton has no water, and we all have to boil our water to be sure its not contaminated.

Here are some pics:

we live up a slope so our yard is well drained and it was like this, you can see how heavy the rain was.

a creek, you can see its been alot higher and done some real damage to the fences. It smelt really salty and awful here.

road damage is pretty bad

round the corner from our place.

#68 hawkchick

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:26 PM

Excentrique - the floods and gastro at the same time. Wow you really are in the wars. Thanks for sharing those pictures. Please stay safe and I am glad that your relatives were ok

#69 *LucyE*

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (Blish)
Wow, Lucy - you really did have a close call. Are you feeling OK? You must have been terrified!
I'm fine, lucky to have experience with the 4x4 so driving through a little bit of water was okay.  The only worrying part for me was trusting the children (6yrs, 4yrs and 4wk) to stay put on dry ground without getting run over/kidnapped while I got the car.  Thanks for asking though  original.gif

LisaMaree82 - sorry, I'm not near Tor St.  I'd offer to go over tomorrow if you want, but there are a few waterways between us and there.  

Don't get too worried because as the others have said, there are power failures around here and the mobile networks are having problems too.

QUOTE (Lib)
Grand Central (Thats the one opp myer isn't it?)

No, that's Garden Town.  Grand Central is the one with Myer.
To see how deep it was near Maccas and outside the coffee club! OMG! Stay safe everyone!

The carpark behind Maccas is the staff carpark for Myer (and possibly other staff at GC).  It was immersed and the poor staff members weren't able to go over and move their cars (it was so quick that by the time most of them found out, it was too late).  We are relatively lucky in Toowoomba that it is mostly confined to the waterways.  I hope everyone in affected areas has managed to get somewhere safe.

#70 Guest_Excentrique_*

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

I'm thankful for the gastro as weird as it sounds. DD was over it pretty quickly and DH came right as well, so it has kept him safe at home with me and the kids and i was so glad he was here. THe lightening and thunder were quite loud and scary and our house got earthed. He was able to help me block the garage door as the water almost came in and fix the power. Also if he was at work we would have lost the car and he would have been stranded by the floods.

#71 Guest_Excentrique_*

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:36 PM

Jellico st.

LisaMaree82- I'm not near that area either sorry. Hope they are ok.

#72 LisaMaree82

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:38 PM

Someone is on their way to check on her.  

Excentrique that is so scary.  I am so glad your DH was home safe

#73 hawkchick

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:49 PM

Wow, that photo really is scary. My heart goes out to everyone there. So sad to hear about the children who have been killed or who are missing.

#74 .Jerry.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:55 PM

Oh my!  That road is incredible!

#75 Jen1

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:58 PM

Oh my gosh that road is scary.  sad.gif  Stay safe all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.