South East Queenslanders...
more flooding

• Please log in to reply
754 replies to this topic

#76 Petrichor

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

Its so surreal. I went to highschool in toowoomba and remember it flooding in about 94 up to the steps of Grand Central (Thats the one opp myer isn't it?) We were amazed at that. I can't even imagine it now. To see how deep it was near Maccas and outside the coffee club! OMG! Stay safe everyone!

*Lib*  I grew up in T'ba too and can't believe my eyes.  I remember that flood you are talking about.  It's really shocking to see the footage.  

I think you might be getting Grand Central mixed up with Village Fair?

On reading LucyE's post, maybe Village Fair is called Garden Town now?  Or maybe Garden Town is something different altogether?  I'm pretty rusty on the shop names as I just tend to visit family and friends when going back to T'ba now and don't really check out town.

Regardless, looks like the coming days are going to be a bit hairy everyone.  Fingers crossed it isn't as bad as some are predicting.

HF

#77 Princess Bubblegum

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:02 PM

Wow!! That road is scary! Why are people standing on it? It looks like it could just crack and crumble at any minute!

#78 misslettuceleaf

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:02 PM

Hi ladies,
I am ok for the moments. Thanks for your concerns.
We are on higher ground so the water we are expecting tonight should miss us. Fingers crossed.
They are telling everyone lower than the Lockyer creek to evacuate.
I am sorry to hear of the loss of lives in Toowoomba.

#79 *Lib*

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE (happyface @ 10/01/2011, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*Lib*  I grew up in T'ba too and can't believe my eyes.  I remember that flood you are talking about.  It's really shocking to see the footage.  

I think you might be getting Grand Central mixed up with Village Fair?

On reading LucyE's post, maybe Village Fair is called Garden Town now?  Or maybe Garden Town is something different altogether?  I'm pretty rusty on the shop names as I just tend to visit family and friends when going back to T'ba now and don't really check out town.

Regardless, looks like the coming days are going to be a bit hairy everyone.  Fingers crossed it isn't as bad as some are predicting.

HF

Ah yes...it was village fair!!

#80 ~*Rainbow*~

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

I'm flying in to Brisbane tomorrow night, then driving to the sunshine Coast on Wednesday morning. Feeling very nervous about it now though.
Some of the footage is absolutely terrifying, I hope that everyone is keeping safe and that they find the missing people asap!

#81 Monket

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

I cannot believe some of the images of the flash flooding today.  How horrific and absolutely devastating for those communities.  I am in Rocky, we are soggy to say the least, but at least we had plenty of warning.  My heart goes out to all those that have been affected.  Please stay safe.

#82 house_fan

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:32 PM

N- I really think you should re-think your plans. The Sunny Coast is getting hammered still with rain and the whole place is just dangerous. There is also a lot more rain predicted for tomorrow.

#83 sarkazm76

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:46 PM

I'm northside Brissy too - Petrie.  They must be releasing a LOAD of water from North Pine Dam as I have never seen the North Pine River go over the bridge and it surely looked like it would today!!!  It's come close before but it looked worse today.  South Pine River too - what a mess.  Glad we're up on a hill and not to close to it!!!

I also work at Stafford by the Kedron Brook - by this afternoon it wasn't to wide anymore but it was flowing faster than I have ever seen.  I really hope people are keeping their kids well away from it!!!  No rain tongiht so far but it sounds super super windy outside.

Agh when will it end.  The Toowoomba footage is so terrifying.  I always remember hearing a story about floods in Brisbane way back in the day and some farmer guy up the river morse coding down to Brisbane that "a wall of water was coming down the valley" and everyone thought he was nuts.  So no one did anything and the city flooded terribly (not sure what year but it was a big one and long enough ago to have morse code, lol.  You always wonder what a "wall of water" looks like but reports today in Toowoomba of waters rising like a metre every minute - ugh how scary.  I guess that's the sort of thing they mean!!

Stay safe all.

#84 buggerlugs

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:48 PM

Hiya all

I have mates in T'ba and havent herd from them but they should be ok as they higher up (well I hoping) also have mates in Esk who got swamped the Red Deer was awash an my mates car got carried off down the road by floodwaters they  are safe at mo. We in Ippy an are just watching it unfold an keeping fingers crossed. I still in a state of shock mes tinks as I had relos who had to be evacuated from rocky last week and my g'friend cant get to Mater kids hosp where here DD is due flooding.

Please everyone in these areas on watch put everything up hi just in case and get a plastic document envelope folder an put ur documents in it ie license birth certs bank details etc Everyone else I hope you are safe and my heart goes out to all those affected

Cheers

#85 house_fan

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:51 PM

Apparently the peak that went through the Gatton area was higher than the 'great' flood of the late 1800's and much higher than 74.

#86 Guest_Excentrique_*

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:56 PM

4 people confirmed dead and more missing. so so sad.

#87 daisydo

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:05 PM

Devastating news.

#88 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:29 PM

We are at Caboolture and we were just so shocked to see on the news what happen today in Toowomaba.

PP asked about the people in the car- I don't think they have been found. I will never forget seeing that car, it's just devastating.sad.gif

Hope everyone and your families are safe tonight.

#89 red door

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE (Maple Leaf @ 10/01/2011, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My SIL in toowoomba sent me some pics. OMG!

I hope everyone is ok. The area looks terrible.

how did it actually happen? I was under the silly impression we didn't have flash flooding like that in OZ.(completely only based on a childhood memory of being told that)

Edited by red door, 11 January 2011 - 07:23 AM.

#90 misshavok

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:49 PM

We are also in Caboolture, rain has died off significantly tonight to give us a bit of a break. DH didn't work today though as he is a tradesman and the materials he needed to get today he couldn't get. The owner of the store was stranded in his home at Dayboro.

I'm still in shock as to what happened in T'ba though, it's insane.

DH's Nanna is in Lowood (Ipswich) and we rang her earlier to see if she is okay as she lives alone. She said she had emergency stuff packed ready and the noise in the background showed that she had quite a number of friends/neighbours in her home. She said if the rain keeps going and the updates tell them to evacuate then they are heading to high ground, near a water tower or something?! So worried, but I know she'll be okay. They are watching the news and updates religiously. Thank goodness she is very mobile and alert for her age.

N - I would not be attempting to get to the Sunshine Coast if I were you. Last I heard, the Bruce Highway was closed near Caboolture/Elimbah. Even if it isn't currently, unless the rain dies down significantly, it will probably flood again VERY soon.

Edited by misshavok, 10 January 2011 - 11:51 PM.

#91 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE (red door @ 10/01/2011, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how did it actually happen? I was under the silly impression we didn't have flash flooding like that in OZ.

It was flash flooding which has always happened in Australia.  There's been flash flooding warnings for days in Qld.  This one just happened in an OM*G place and time.

#92 red door

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:00 AM

OMG, I am just seeing footage now of people on roof tops and a family balanced on the roof of a car with moving muddy water all around. so terrifying.

I really hope and pray this rain stops soon.

#93 *LucyE*

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:50 AM

Thought this was worth quoting
Police have set up a telephone hotline for relatives and friends of people affected by flooding in the Toowoomba, Murphy's Creek, Grantham and Withcott areas. The number is 1300 993 191

#94 jorgo

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:20 AM

for those that were asking where in bris is "safe".... Redlands is fine ( birkdale /wellington point/capalaba/thornelands/cleveland and the like) we are only haveing minor road issues while the rain is actually bucketing hard... so only every couple of days

we're wet as its rained everyday for almost 40 days  huh.gif ( should i be worried about that number?) but being close to the ocean we seem to drain quickly and never really get too high to begin with

have noticed a lot of the roads have big new pot holes tho so there must be a lot of underground water traveling around here

Dh works at the wharf and says the water is very close to being ON the wharf ( there is usually atleast a 4m drop from wharf to ocean) and he's shipped a lot of relief stuff up to rocky in the last week

hope everyone is still all safe and sound

#95 Veryclucky

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:48 AM

A link for Brisbanites- flood warnings for over 30 suburbs

I was supposed to drive to work today (Tues) but between still being awake at this time of morning and the floods, I think train and bus will be a safer bet hopefully.

Just had another heavy downpour so it is still hanging around here in Strathpine.

Brisbane Flood Warnings

#96 Jenks

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:57 AM

I am in Perth but was wondering if someone could tell me if it is bad in suburbs near the airport as my DH has family flying over there tomorrow. I think they are staying at a house in Nudgee.

Stay safe everyone and I hope the rain subsides very soon.

#97 Veryclucky

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:25 AM

Jenks- I am not 100% sure but it should be ok in most of Nudgee. There is a creek that runs through there that floods especially at high tide. Some of the roads nearby flood as well.

Hopefully someone else has a better idea of what Nudgee is like at the moment.

#98 Supermum3

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:31 AM

Edited by countrymum3, 13 January 2011 - 06:11 PM.

#99 nayjay

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:04 AM

This is so awful!

#100 KnightsofNi

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:08 AM

My thoughts are with everyone who is suffering.

Keep safe. Keep dry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.