Do you always re-wash rained on laundry?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 emiboo

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:08 PM

Say you washed your laundry, hung it out... and it got rained on, do you always bring it back in and wash it again before use?

Or do you leave it out to dry when the sun comes back out?

Or does it depend on how much it got rained or... some other factor?

#2 EsmeLennox

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:09 PM

God no  - I just leave it till it dries. Bugger re-washing it!

#3 jesstazzy

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:09 PM

I just leave it!!

Its just a second rinse with water you dont have to pay for!!
Its clean water I dont know why you would rewash.

#4 Guest_Shauna+Molly+Annie_*

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:10 PM

Never.

The first time I found out (via EB) that people actually did this I was shocked!

Perhaps if I lived in soot filled London at the turn of last century I might but I seriously dont 'get' why anyone would in Australia.

#5 RealityBites

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:11 PM

I am another one who would not even think of re-washing.

#6 ~NICOLE~

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:12 PM

WOW...I had NO IDEA people would even think about doing this....Isnt the rain just an extra good rinse??? roll2.gif

WOW, Im speechless.......

#7 JammyJane

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:13 PM

no way! its just rain huh.gif

#8 Helena Handbasket

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:13 PM

Hell no.

Wouldn't it be nice if rainwater container Omo and napisan and all you had to do was peg everything on the line dirty and bring it in clean.....

#9 aussierach

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:14 PM

if its just a light shower no but if its a drenching yes I do, clothes get a ugh smell after hanging in the rain but I know people who will leave their washing hanging for 2 days while its rains then when dry wear it as normal ughh

#10 MrsWidget

Pre kids, yes. Now, god no.

#11 misshavok

QUOTE (jesstazzy @ 09/01/2011, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just leave it!!

Its clean water I dont know why you would rewash.

This. original.gif

#12 Oogly boogly

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

NEVER! biggrin.gif
I don't see the point, it's not like it's raining filth LOL

I'm more likely to re-wash (or rinse) stuff that has been left out in the sun too long & has gone stiff...not that bris has had much sun recently LOL

#13 mumtobeagain74

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:16 PM

no, happened to me last night. Hung out 3 loads , got rained on overnight but was dry by this arvo. I like to think of it as a fresh rain water rinse.
but, agreed would if it had been a few days or wasn't drying.

#14 EsmeLennox

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:16 PM

I've never noticed a bad smell from washing that's been rained on - even after it's been hanging in it for 2 days (yep, I am one of those people!). It is just water - I can't imagine wasting the water to re-wash - that to me is ugh!  tongue.gif

#15 GoodGollyMolly

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (~NICOLE~ @ 09/01/2011, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOW...I had NO IDEA people would even think about doing this....Isnt the rain just an extra good rinse??? roll2.gif

WOW, Im speechless.......

This.

QUOTE (aussierach @ 09/01/2011, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if its just a light shower no but if its a drenching yes I do, clothes get a ugh smell after hanging in the rain but I know people who will leave their washing hanging for 2 days while its rains then when dry wear it as normal ughh

This is me!

#16 Guest_sunnycat_*

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (Jemstar @ 09/01/2011, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
God no  - I just leave it till it dries. Bugger re-washing it!

This!

Nowadays, at this house, my washing line is under cover  so it has become a third wardrobe seeing as my spare room and walk in robe are already full of clothes biggrin.gif

#17 ironbutterfly

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:22 PM

I used to live somewhere that it was ideal to rewash after it had rained but that was because the rain was slightly acidic. Needless to say I used a dryer more often than not.

Here in WA though, never. We actually drink rain water biggrin.gif Free sky juice why not?

#18 Azadel

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:24 PM

I admit I do. I don't know how weather systems work precisely but living in the inner city and close to the airport I don't think the rain is all that fresh around here. There's smog - it must get into the rain.

But when I lived in Newcastle I wouldn't rewash unless it was a few days rain.

#19 Onyx

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:24 PM

ph34r.gif

I rewash it.

#20 Guest_Starlet1809_*

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

I smell it. If it smells off, I will rinse it with a bit of fab softener.

Rainwater CAN be dirty. Especially in polluted areas.

#21 1b1g

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:26 PM

If I get the washing off before it gets too wet no - otherwise yes.... as rain has dust particles and other substances in it... so the washing will effectively become dirty again....

and yes i am have washing issues, it has to be hung out when the machine finishes (not left in overnight -DH has finally learnt this!!!!!), items are hung in order on the clothes line, folded as they are taken off - pegs are not to be left on the line, and ironing done the day it's dry and off the line - and all of this I have learnt/was taught by my mother, who is still like it to this day.. thanks mum!!!! huh.gif

#22 unicorn

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:29 PM

Not unless it has been raining for a week and it smells.

#23 asiam

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:31 PM

If it's heavy rain, sometimes I will drain and spin. I live in a country town and the air is clear - apart from dust anyway. original.gif

#24 KristyMum-

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:36 PM

Why one earth would anyone rewash washing that was clean on the line and then got rained on?

At this stage, acid rain isn't a given so generally speaking the rain water is probably cleaner than the town water!

Wet laundry washed clothes will attract dust and airborne stuff just the same as rain-wet clothes would.

Actually half the chemicals, bleaches, fabric softeners and all the rest that people happily use in their washing would probably be worse than anything you might possibly find in rainwater...

I just leave it!!

ditto original.gif

Edited by KristyMum-, 09 January 2011 - 05:39 PM.

#25 --binda--

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:37 PM

No! I'm too lazy for that!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.