what does it cost for your dog's vaccinations/checkup?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tenar

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:07 PM

I took my 12yo mini schnauzer for her yearly checkup and vaccinations today.  I discussed several issues with the vet (old dog), but nothing serious, and he did the usual listening to her heart, etc.  She was vaccinated for all the usual things including kennel cough and heartworm, and I got a year's supply of worm tablets but no flea treatment as I still have some left over.

It cost $225.

That just seems like a lot to me.  Seems to me I remember when vet bills were way less than that.  Now I know it's been 12 years since she was a puppy, and inflation keeps on, but it got me wondering what others pay for that kind of a vet visit.

#2 Gympie

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:10 PM

Yup sounds about right... if you include the worming tablets etc.

For me the consultation is about $30-$40, then the vaccination costs about $60 and the worming (all wormer) tablets are at least $80 for 6 months worth.

#3 hills mum bec

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:27 PM

I took our puppy that we got from the shelter just before xmas for his second lot of puppy vaccinations yesterday.  It cost me $95 for the injection & 6 months of worming tablets.  The vet also gave her a good look over to tell me how old she was & what breed.  We also discussed de-sexing & microchipping.

Last time I took my other dog for a torn claw & he was also due for his vaccination.  The claw cost $60 & because I was already there he only charged me $10 for the vaccination.

I live in a country town so I would expect vets to charge a lot more in the city.

#4 Roobear

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:31 PM

Wow that sounds a lot.

Our vet has charged us $90 for our dog who was done last week.

Edited by ~peeka~, 12 January 2011 - 09:31 PM.

#5 runnybabbit

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE (tenar @ 12/01/2011, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
She was vaccinated for all the usual things including kennel cough and heartworm, and I got a year's supply of worm tablets but no flea treatment as I still have some left over.

It cost $225.

If you are talking about the heartworm injection, it's not a vaccine, as such, but a slow release heartworm preventative. So an annual heartworm injection (Proheart) rather than a monthly tablet. There's a good chance this is where a big chunk of the cost came from.

When I used to work in general practice it would be about $92 (including consult) for a 3-in-1 (parvo, distemper, hepatitis), add on an extra $20-30 for kennel cough vaccine. The big variation was the heartworm preventative. An injection for a large breed dog (40+ kg) could easily be $200 for that alone. Depending on what your clinic charges it might be more cost effective to switch to a monthly preventative, provided that you remember to give your dog the tablet once a month!

I think at the rate we charged, it worked out mostly even until you got to the large breed dogs.

ETA: Just for clarity's sake, heartworm is distinct from regular "worming", which usually refers to intestinal worms. Heartworm preventatives are generally given monthly, while intestinal wormers are usually given quarterly. It depends on what product you use and the risk group of the individual.

Edited by runnybabbit, 13 January 2011 - 12:10 AM.

#6 tenar

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:09 AM

runnybabbit actually you are completely right about that.  Looking at the receipt, the heartworm shot was $120, the rest much cheaper than that ($22 for the worming tablets).  

That makes more sense to me now.  And I'm happy to pay for the heartworm injection rather than having to remember to give her the tablet every month - I don't do too well with remembering the quarterly worming, as it is, and heartworm is more dangerous.  

#7 dreamingofcats

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:06 AM

When we take our two dogs to be vaccinated it costs around $90 each. Worming tablets are around $20-$25 each. They also have the ProHeart vaccination which is between $90-$110.

So yeah, I would say thats about right. Our vet doesnt charge a consultation fee when he does the check-up at vaccination time, I always thought it was routine to check them out before it.

#8 Busty La Rue

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:10 AM

Funny you should mention this as our dogs went for their booster shots yesterday. 2 large dogs $140 but looking at some of the other costs - that's actually not too bad.

I love our vets ....... i wish my human doctor was as nice and as thorough as our vets are. They are 30mins away but well worth the extra trip.

#9 unicorn

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:15 AM

Our last trip to the vet a couple of months ago was $135, that was heart worm test and yearly needle, worming, full check over and a bath, he was 32kg then.

#10 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:16 PM

Last year I took our Rotti and it was $120 for a checkup and C5 vaccine (includes kennel cough).

#11 shelly1

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:58 PM

That sounds alot. I paid $95 for the 3 yearly vaccination, 3 months heartworm and the consult/vet check.

Though this same vet charged me $90 for a grass seed removal with sedation whilst on Saturday afternoon at another vet the very same thing cost me $150 (the other vet was closed unfortunately)

#12 ATKJS47

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:24 AM

$75 for needle, checked, nails clipped and wormed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.