Victoria's floods
My uncle's town is badly affected

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 hawkchick

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:06 PM

My uncles live in Inglewood, Victoria. We heard tonight that Inglewood was cut off as the Loddon River has broken its banks - not sure if this is in all directions?

My uncle's property is becoming quite flooded.

Any other news from flooded Victorians?

#2 Indi

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:02 AM

Minor flooding around here (near Kyneton) - our normally gentle, 20m wide river is now a huge torrent roughly 300m wide.  Our dams are all infinity pools, the overflows on them can't cope so the water is over the tops of the walls.  Quite a few houses in our little town are flooded and roads are chaotic.  We've had nearly 200 mm rain in 2 days which is nearly a 1/3 of the years total.

Can't find our dog.  She was splashing around happily yesterday while I was outside moving things around and then she was gone.  Hope she has holed up somewhere safe.

#3 sunshine_days

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:27 AM

I am sorry to hear you guys have been affected...

This has been a bad week news wise.. and now more people are getting effected by floods in other states. sad.gif

Indi Have you found your dog?

#4 LisaMaree82

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:30 AM

praying for you all down there.  Please try to stay safe.  Indi I hope you find your dog safe and sound.

#5 kadoodle

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:40 AM

Hall's Gap, Ararat, Stawell and Great Western (plus all the tiny little communities like Tatyoon and Willaura, etc...) have localized flooding.  Parts of Ballarat are also under water (but of course).

#6 Jen1

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:42 AM

This is just unbelievable, when is it going to end.   cry1.gif

Please stay safe all.

#7 Guest_**KM**_*

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:17 AM

We've had parts of Ballarat flooded before but nothing like this.  I am in what you would call a very safe area and the street next to us is flooded, I've never seen anything like it, there's no creek, dam etc, just too much water!  I dropped my kids off at my mums and the creek near her was nearly at the road, thankfully the rain has stopped and we are expecting sun for a few days otherwise I may not have been able to get back after work to pick them up  ohmy.gif

#8 B.M.C.M.I.E

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:21 AM

My cousins are getting married at Halls Gap in two weeks. They may have to cancel due to the flooding. I hope everyone is safe and it's all over with soon.

#9 PurpleNess

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:25 AM

Does anyone know if it's reached Hamilton area yet? I've family there.
When will this madness end...

#10 Bella86

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:32 AM

Im near inglewood and it is quiet bad here..

#11 ~chic~

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:44 AM

Halls Gap is without drinking water after the main pipe to the treatment plant was washed away. sad.gif

#12 kadoodle

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:12 PM

Hamilton's ok, but the road from Ballarat to Hamilton is washed away.  For once Warrnambool and Hamilton are not under water.

#13 FeralZombieMum

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:03 PM

I got a shock before.

I knew the creeks nearby will be over flowing and some roads will be blocked off.

I was concerned a neighbour's dam might have overflowed towards their house a little.

Little did I realise that a house across from that spot was completely flooded! All the run off from the small hill has turned their land into a dam!

The lady said the water is up to their knees inside the house.  sad.gif

This is only about 600 metres from my house, away from the creeks.

They are madly pumping this water across the road into the dam and that is in turn running down towards the creek.

I just didn't realise this house was at risk. I also found out they got flooded in September, but not this badly.
sad.gif

#14 sunshine_days

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:12 PM

Gosh its scarey...

I am in the Yarra Valley and it had rained from about 10 am till about 1pm quite steady. Its hilly here and l always thought we would never flood but after Toowoomba l am not so sure now...

We were in Warranambool in Nov and got a lot of rain but missed all teh rain in Melbourne and thats when Croydon flooded...

#15 Veryclucky

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

Just wanted to send good thoughts to all you affected by floods in Vic. It has been good to see everyone pulling together for QLD...just know QLD will be there for you too.

#16 Guest_Excentrique_*

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:53 PM

I'm sorry your all going through this as well. It sucks.

I am in the Yarra Valley and it had rained from about 10 am till about 1pm quite steady. Its hilly here and l always thought we would never flood but after Toowoomba l am not so sure now...

What happened here is that our ground was soaked after week and weeks of rain off and on. And then we had this absolute downpour that would normally not have caused to many problems, but due to the fact it wont soak in anymore, and was coming down so fast, we got flooded. So that is what you need to watch for.

#17 PurpleNess

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (kadoodle @ 14/01/2011, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hamilton's ok, but the road from Ballarat to Hamilton is washed away. For once Warrnambool and Hamilton are not under water.

Thanks Kadoodle, my family are mainly in Warrnambool, right on the river so I'll be watching this water closely..  SIL family in Hamilton.  Thoughts with those in flooded areas...gosh this it just too much..

Edited by PurpleNess, 14 January 2011 - 02:58 PM.

#18 hawkchick

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:10 PM

Just wanted to send good thoughts to all you affected by floods in Vic. It has been good to see everyone pulling together for QLD...just know QLD will be there for you too.

What a beautiful thing to say...thank you.

Flood Map

This flood map on the Herald Sun website is really scary

#19 RosieTea

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:16 PM

OUr property which is about 50km from inglewood and 20 from St Arnard is cut off in both directions.. WE only use it for weekends thankfully

#20 hawkchick

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:19 PM

Thanks for the updates re Inglewood.

I drove there the day after the state election (late October/November? - can't remember which month)....and it was very flooded then too. It was terrifying I might add. I can just imagine how much worse it is this time

#21 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:25 PM

I almost cannot read about anymore sad.gif

#22 joka

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:32 PM

I am in Ararat we are fine some places here flooded a little
To put things into perspective a little we have had 7 inches (approx) of rain on the old scale in just 2011 (the last 2 weeks) our annual rainfall is 14 inches (sorry again old scale).
It is amazing, and scary at the same time what will winter be like??

#23 Indi

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:39 AM

We found our dog but the news wasn't good.  I'd say she drowned in the strong current of a creek.  Poor little girl.

#24 . . .

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:19 PM

Rochester is in trouble - evacuation orders went through this morning and I personally know of several homes that are flooded. I am sure there will be many more - these floods are much worse than September and November. The SES site says it will peak 80cm higher than then. Bugger.

#25 hawkchick

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:42 PM

My cousin lives in Gray Road Rochester. They said they're up pretty high, but that they were stranded last night as the roads were closed. Stay safe!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.