Victoria's floods
My uncle's town is badly affected

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 eleishas

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:09 AM

Just wondering how you are all going?

Not much news is getting out about the Vic floods...

#27 . . .

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE (eleishas @ 17/01/2011, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just wondering how you are all going?

Not much news is getting out about the Vic floods...

Not much news at all - still a fair bit about the Queensland clean up but there are still towns being evacuated in Victoria! There was just an ad on tv now about fundraising for Queensland - I haven't heard of anything in the pipeline for Vic though.

This is where I find my info:
http://www.ses.vic.gov.au - then click on the "Current Emergency Info" link.
http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/flood/index.shtml

QUOTE (Indi @ 15/01/2011, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We found our dog but the news wasn't good.  I'd say she drowned in the strong current of a creek.  Poor little girl.

I am really sorry to hear that, Indi.  hhugs.gif

#28 Monroe

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE (PurpleNess @ 14/01/2011, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone know if it's reached Hamilton area yet? I've family there.
When will this madness end...

I just got back from there yesterday. Hamilton is fine, few parts of the road were damaged but nothing OTT. Skipton was underwater though sad.gif Werean hour from Echuca it looks terrible up there.

We found our dog but the news wasn't good.  I'd say she drowned in the strong current of a creek.  Poor little girl.

So sorry Indi sad.gif

#29 hawkchick

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:14 AM

Indi - I'm sorry too about your poor dog sad.gif

They said on the Today show this morning that 45 towns in Victoria were flooded to some extent, with Echuca and Horsham the main focus now

My cousin in Rochester is OK.

#30 PurpleNess

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:22 AM

We found our dog but the news wasn't good. I'd say she drowned in the strong current of a creek. Poor little girl.

Oh Indi, I am so so terribly sorry about your little dog. Sending you lots of cyber hugs at this sad time.

#31 catnat

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:01 PM

We are in Horsham and the worst is supposed to hit tonight. A lot of roads are starting to be blocked this afternoon along the actual river. The YMCA shut at 10 and a lot of businesses were closed in that area this morning. We sandbagged the school yesterday as it is right in the area expected to flood. It is expected to be a 1 in a 100 year flood so a lot of people are pretty worried, we are lucky to live up high away from the river.

#32 LisaMaree82

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:11 PM

Indi I am so sorry to hear about your beloved dog sad.gif

Stay safe everyone else.

#33 Shibley

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:50 AM

Indi, sorry about your dog sad.gif

My parents are in Baringhup West, they were isolated for a few days, and 1/3 of their property under water.  Thankfully, their house is on the high point of their property so it has stayed dry.

They are now unable to drive the 15 minute drive to Maldon, due to the Baringhup bridge collapsing.  They are also unable to take the short route to Maryborough, due to a bridge collapse.  The short route to Bendigo is still flooded too, but only minor now, so they can get through.

Carisbrook was badly hit, which is only 10 minutes from them, I have a step cousin that lives there, right next to the creek (that turned into a raging torrent).  He was away at the time, so no idea how his house has faired.

The images from the rest of Victoria are mind boggling.  To see water storages that were so, so low for so long, now at 110-120+% capacity...

Stay safe everyone.

#34 Sunny003

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:05 AM

Indi, I'm so sorry to hear about your dog sad.gif I hope you're ok.

Cat, hope you didn't get as much rain as you expected. My phone won't let me load your current FB pics  mad.gif

My parents are visiting family & left Echuca a few days ago, before it was cut off. They've moved over the border now and seem to be ok.

There's a few members that live up that way, cut off from major towns, but safe iykwim?

#35 hawkchick

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:39 AM

We have a family friend who lived next door to one of the churches in Carisbrook. I'm presuming his house is flooded . It was double storey.

#36 lotsakids

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:51 AM

we had a lot of water through clunes, the houses that were flooded in september, went under again plus a few more, thank goodness they hadnt started the 230 thousand dollar repair on the sports stadium because that went under again too..people had only been back in their houses a short time before this happened again..it was worse this time due to all the dams and waterways being full from september, much more damage was done to properties and roads.

some arial shots of the towns around here...

http://www.thecourier.com.au/multimedia/19...om-the-sky.aspx

what annoyed me was that my daughter rang centrelink the other day to ask about the money available for those affected by floods..and was told..oh no, its not for victorians, only queenslanders...sigh...

Edited by lotsakids, 19 January 2011 - 07:53 AM.

#37 ShopgirlX

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:10 AM

lotsakids I am sure the money will be allocated for Victorians... just give the bureaucracy a little time to catch up  rolleyes.gif  I think I heard something on the news last night with Baillieu up in wherever-it-was.

#38 catnat

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:24 AM

what annoyed me was that my daughter rang centrelink the other day to ask about the money available for those affected by floods..and was told..oh no, its not for victorians, only queenslanders...sigh...

Really?
We had DHS workers at the relief centres helping people out with relief payments and centrelink papers etc. They seemed to be really on the ball with that sort of stuff here unsure.gif .

Anyway I am thinking today of those today who are facing a tough time today at Kerang, Warracknabeal, Dimboola etc and for those cleaning up in places like Echuca.  I spent a lot of yesterday morning with mum watching to see how far it came up: thankfully for her it stopped 2 houses away. It was like a ghost town yesterday with half stuck on one side, heaps of people and businesses without power and everyone just keeping watch on how close to their homes it was getting. The early reports are saying the sandbagging was very successful and many homes were saved from major inside damage.

I went for a drive up to work last night and was just in shock at how much water there was. I stood on the oval and every street I could see around me was just a river. Some kids were swimming through the school blink.gif so I asked them what it looked like down there. It is up to waist deep in some parts but seems to be about knee deep around the classrooms and from what the kids could see it didn't look like much was in the actual rooms.

#39 Guest_**KM**_*

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:02 PM

We are in Horsham and the worst is supposed to hit tonight. A lot of roads are starting to be blocked this afternoon along the actual river. The YMCA shut at 10 and a lot of businesses were closed in that area this morning. We sandbagged the school yesterday as it is right in the area expected to flood. It is expected to be a 1 in a 100 year flood so a lot of people are pretty worried, we are lucky to live up high away from the river.

catnat we were actually in Horsham this week for 5 nights on holiday  ohmy.gif  We came up on Sunday and then found out about the expected flood.  We thankfully were a few streets away but the water wasn't far from where we were staying.  Couldn't believe it when we went to Coles on Monday and couldn't buy milk, thankfully there was some at the servo on the way back to the place we were staying.  We got home today and stopped in at Halls Gap to find the whole National Park closed, the shop owners were flooded last week but all cleaned up so we were happy to have lunch there and do some holiday shopping.  Glad we still went to Horsham though, was good to add to the economy up there ... am grateful though we hadn't booked accommodation at the caravan park though on the river  cool.gif

Edited by **KM**, 21 January 2011 - 10:02 PM.

#40 catnat

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:56 AM

am grateful though we hadn't booked accommodation at the caravan park though on the river

Or the motel opposite the pool tongue.gif .

I had to laugh at a grumpy customer at KFC though. As the trucks couldn't get into town they had run out of chicken 'strips' for twisters etc and buns. This customer was making a big fuss over it all: life is really tough when the KFC menu had to be altered LOL!

#41 Guest_**KM**_*

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

I had to laugh at a grumpy customer at KFC though. As the trucks couldn't get into town they had run out of chicken 'strips' for twisters etc and buns. This customer was making a big fuss over it all: life is really tough when the KFC menu had to be altered LOL!

Yes some people are amazing  wacko.gif  ... I wouldn't have even complained about the milk if we couldn't get it in the end, was just surprised that the panic shopping had set in and it was all gone at the supermarket, but the servo had plenty so obviously panic didn't extend to the expensive milk  laugh.gif

#42 catnat

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:25 PM

I wonder if you went to my DH's servo (the one opposite May Park)? I ended up going there and complained about the price of it quite loudly. He sold more milk that day than he had for a while I think! I have to admit that I never quite get into panic buying as I figure I can always pay the premium price through DH tongue.gif : if a full on disaster ever set in we could live off his chip and chocolate stocks for months!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.